Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oops, I'm playing it again (Mass Effect 1)

Options
  • 25-06-2011 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭

I can't even remember what the story in the game was. Played it too late i think.

I played Mass Effect 2 when it came out and all I did was plough through the campaign, cleared it and sold it.

Since Mass Effect 3 is in development I've decided to reboot myself to these games by starting Mass Effect 1 and playing through it, properly.

Just thought I'd share that with ye :D

Who else is a big M.E fan?

I'm getting there slowly but surely :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

When I heard about Mass effect 2 I replayed ME1 again so I knew WTF was going on... will probably do the same for 3 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

I recently got round to starting ME 2 but I've completely forgotten the story from 1. When they're talking about the reapers etc. I'm constantly thinking "who were they again?". I'll have to read up on it to remind myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Rockn wrote: »
    I recently got round to starting ME 2 but I've completely forgotten the story from 1. When they're talking about the reapers etc. I'm constantly thinking "who were they again?". I'll have to read up on it to remind myself.

Reapers = Bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I nbought both of them at the same time and played through them back to back and really enjoyed them. Fantastic games. I'm looking forward to the third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Personally preferred ME1 for the storyline. ME2's was quite as good. Plus the last 2 hours or so of gameplay in ME1 is just amazing.

Overall gameplay in ME2 is much improved obv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Having to replay ME1 again with the bad framerate is terrible especially during combat. I,ve managed to finish it there last night though,
    Let Ashley die, had sex with liara, and saved the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I thought Mass Effect 1 was great except for those Mako levels (drive, drive, drive, grumbly rumble, bounce, bounce, try not to drive into a crater, damn, stuck in a crater).
    It was a joy to see that thing destroyed and half-buried in the dirt in ME2 at the Normandy Crash-Site ... Die, stupid Mako ... DIE! :)

The combat was a little repetitive and the side missions were all pretty much the same. Both things were changed up an much improved, more fluid in the sequel.

The story line and the characters really make up the appeal, and the player feels part of a much bigger universe. This was very good in both games, and the fact that you can bring your character (and universe) through the series of games is a bonus.

Mass Effect 2 built upon that and you really feel that the universe you are defending is one that you have had a real hand in shaping and you know a bit better if it is worth defending. Particularly if you have managed to keep your entire team intact.
    My whole team got through OK - I just got lucky that Thane survived, because of a glitch in the game I couldn't complete his Loyalty quest (a stupid door jammed and we lost tracking his son) ... I just hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the bum in the third game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Even though I've got all the achievements, I want to start up a FemShep character in ME, to play through the first two again as her. Everyone says Jennifer Hale is the best Shep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

As FemShep did the romances seem more Interesting? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Yeah I have my paragon Man-Shep who's gotten through both games with his team intact and I'm going to play through with a renegade Fem-Shep in time for ME3, with all the reverse decisions (and going to try and kill my entire squad).

God, I love Mass Effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I played through Mass Effect 1 a little while ago. Got quite far but accidentally deleted my save game so had to start from the very beginning.

FUUUUUUUUUU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mr. K wrote: »
    Even though I've got all the achievements, I want to start up a FemShep character in ME, to play through the first two again as her. Everyone says Jennifer Hale is the best Shep!

Jennifer Hale is fantastic, makes male shepard really dull and uninteresting. She's really sarky and bitchy so if you are going for renegade it's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Jennifer Hale is fantastic, makes male shepard really dull and uninteresting. She's really sarky and bitchy so if you are going for renegade it's even better.

You've been the Boards supporter of FemShep! As it happens, I will be playing a Renegade FemShep...eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Loved ME1 for the story, i was gripped from the beginning, didn't really get that from the second one.

Favorite parts is the Prothean and Sovereign conversations, found the story around protheans demise so sad and really felt anger towards the reapers, love when games can do that to you :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The awesomeness of Fem Shep, major spoilers!:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Agreed with most of whats been said, preferred the story in the first game, the last few levels were amazing and well above anything in ME2 but he general gameplay was much improved in the 2nd. Played ME1 twice but found the mako and all the generic side missions a total bore 2nd time round, had to be done though being a completionist"!

As it happens I just finished ME2 a few hours ago, already played the main game twice but played through all the dlc this week so I'm totally finished and set up for ME3

Friend of mine is playing ME1 atm, but he started to get pissed off at the Mako bits. Against all my advice and screaming he's just gonna skip 1 and go onto 2 because everyone else says how **** 1 is and how much better 2 is.

Makes me so sad :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lol
    i must give 1 another run through.. i hardly remembred anything from those videos

definitely going to be femshep this time around. Chick's got class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Jim wrote: »
    Friend of mine is playing ME1 atm, but he started to get pissed off at the Mako bits. Against all my advice and screaming he's just gonna skip 1 and go onto 2 because everyone else says how **** 1 is and how much better 2 is.

Makes me so sad :(

No offence but what a fool your friend is..ME1 had a vastly superior story.The decisions and consiquences in the 1st game felt more important than the ones in ME2.I enjoyed replaying one more than two I loved the last hour or so bar the last boss fight with Saren.Was it me or was the first part of that fight with him on the hovercraft easy the first time & hard during the 2nd playthrough the same goes for the second part of the fight but in reverse hard the first time easy in your next playthrough.

GTR63 wrote: »
    No offence but what a fool your friend is..ME1 had a vastly superior story.The decisions and consiquences in the 1st game felt more important than the ones in ME2.I enjoyed replaying one more than two I loved the last hour or so bar the last boss fight with Saren.Was it me or was the first part of that fight with him on the hovercraft easy the first time & hard during the 2nd playthrough the same goes for the second part of the fight but in reverse hard the first time easy in your next playthrough.
    I know, I've told him over and over again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

Played ME 1 on the 360. Playing ME 2 on the PS3 glad I played the first one tbh. I'm not really into sci-fi games but ME is just a great series. Can't wait for ME 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

anyone know anywhere i can pick up ME1 and 2 online for 360 for cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭Nollog

Does the DLC on "origin" add anything but weapons to the game?
    Or are all the DLc packs just weapons?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Vic_Mackey

brmccfc wrote: »
    anyone know anywhere i can pick up ME1 and 2 online for 360 for cheap?
    Amazon have them cheap enough. I got Crackdown and Mass Effect (Double Pack) and Mass Effect 2 for ~25 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OOOooo.... ME1 only needs 1GB of RAM; may get it and play it - no gaming is not good (my 4GB's arrived at Corsair in the Netherlands on Monday).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Mate told me he saw a 50 min video summary of ME1 somewhere (could have been a disc with a mag) but would love to track it down

There's probably an upload of the Mass Effect summary with the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 on youtube.

There's probably an upload of the Mass Effect summary with the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 on youtube.

I'm well into ME2 at the moment (the 5 min comic summary at the start was better than nothing but you're still fairly lost at the start).

Ah, didn't realise it was so brief.

• Advertisement

Ah, didn't realise it was so brief.

It was a clever way of letting you make some of the choices but, as you can well imagine, only had time in that timeframe for
    Sareign => Betray Citadel => Open door for reapers => Must stop => No one believes

Advertisement