Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iveragh 200

Options
  • 23-06-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

http://www.iveragh200.com/

Anyone else here doing this.

Did it last year. Small field, Tough event, spectacular course (The steep part of the climb to Gap of Dunloe has actually been resurfaced with smooth blacktop).

I would highly recommend, especially to folks outside Kerry that want to see some of the parts of Kerry that you never get to see otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Heading to Kerry that weekend but I mightn't be able to travel until Saturday. I will look into taking the Friday off and going down then which would enable me do this. I'll be staying in Tarbert - the trip from there to Waterville is probably nearly as long as that from Dublin to Tarbert!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looks good, I might be up for this alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

might join ye for this. that pic on the website looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cantalach

I'm a definite for that this year - and looking forward to it a lot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Wont make this, but will be in Waterville for a weeks hols towards the end of July. Great looking route from the pics, looking forward to following some or all of it when I'm down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 frant2

Might give it a lash - Is it tougher than the Wicklow 200 - ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭cantalach

frant2 wrote: »

You decide: http://www.iveragh200.com/?page_id=66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

frant2 wrote: »

Very difficult to say. Nothing is likely to be as bad as this years WW200 but that was weather specific.
    There are four main climbs and many drags.
    Ballaghisheen is 3km and steep (mostly 8-12%).
    There is a drag up up Lough Acoose.
    Gap of Dunloe is like a stairs. Short insanely steep ramps followed by very long flat bits.
    Black Valley climb to Molls Gap is just 2km mostly 6-10%.
    two drags on road to Sneem.
    Drag out of Sneem.
    Coomakiste is approached from Derrynane House not Caherdaniel. Steep (15%) but only 0.5km.

Coomanaspig is at 170km. First km is okay middle tough. I'll have to walk the last bit. Pure wall territory.
    Hope that helps. In between the climbs the roads are flat and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Anybody any tips for accomodation. Would be thinking of heading down for the weekend, coming back on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I'm looking forward to this event, missed it last year. Have done the route, just not all together! Coomanaspig near the end is a frightening thought.

Stay at the Butler Arms http://www.butlerarms.com/ or the Smugglers http://www.the-smugglers-inn.com/ Try the Waterville website:- http://www.visitwaterville.ie/listings.php?t=319 for accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I agree, whatever that stretch of road after the first feedstop on the ROK ON is called was incredibly boring. And the stretch with the badly surfaced road was pretty brutal too.
    Anybody tempted To try the iveragh 200k after the ring of Kerry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

I'll probably have a go at it. It's a far tougher route than the ROK. The route takes in every major climb in South Kerry. There's a killer climb at 170KM over Cum an Easpaig (which is the mountain between Portmagee and Ballinskelligs for those that are not familiar with the area). The Iveragh 200 is not for the faint hearted but I guess that makes the sense of achievement all the greater at the finish line.;)

There are also 60KM and 130KM routes I believe.

Pretty sure I'm doing this. I'll just have to hope the Wicklow 200 training is enough because I won't have time to do any long spins between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

after a ring of kerry debut, myself and a mate will give this one a lash.

Heading down myself. Travelling down on Friday with the family, going to stay in Killarney (gives them plenty of scope of stuff to do on Saturday while I'm out attemping to climb like Contador but more than likely climbing like Petacchi!!!).

Have done W200 and the recent Naas CC event, but have never cycled down in Kerry. Looks like a tough one. Are the roads the same condition as Wicklow (ie pretty sh1t)?

Just on the size of the field, how many were there last year?

Is it realy going to be 8 hours on my todd?

I'll pretty much certain I'm doing this now. Despite being married to a Kerry woman for 11 odd years, I have never been to South Kerry other than one overnight in Kenmare years ago. Looking forward to enjoying the scenery - I'm not planning to bury myself.

On the other hand, if pprendeville decides to show up...

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Just on the size of the field, how many were there last year?

Is it realy going to be 8 hours on my todd?

some group will adopt you, or else just speed up and catch the groups as they ascend molls gap....simples

kala85 wrote: »
    Anybody tempted To try the iveragh 200k after the ring of Kerry ?

how soon afterwards ...... are u an audaxer ?

http://www.iveragh200.com/ website says July 16 , cycling ireland says 17th !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Confirmed with Eoin Ryan (Organiser) via text that Sat 16th is correct
    michael196 wrote: »
    http://www.iveragh200.com/ website says July 16 , cycling ireland says 17th !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Can somebody please post up a map of the route as I can't view the map on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

kala85 wrote: »
    Can somebody please post up a map of the route as I can't view the map on the site

Google Earth Kmz Attached

Sounds like the fields might be small.

But that would not stop me .

hopefully the weather will be ok. any forecasts for the weekend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

michael196 wrote: »
    Sounds like the fields might be small.

But that would not stop me .

hopefully the weather will be ok. any forecasts for the weekend ?

Weather - wet and windy.
    http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=EUR;IE;EI008;WATERVILLE;&metric=1&fday=6

Field size - last year IIRC about 70 ish. But most people left once registered. Because of that, many people were cycling around in groups of 1 or 2's. There were no large groups on the road.

I am hoping to do the 130km. Hopefully the weather will be kind.
    Roads from Waterville to Kate Dunloe are pretty good by 3rd class road standards.
    The descent from Ballaghisheen is very fast with two sharp turns. I always tend to overcook the turns there.

Gap of Dunloe will be full of horse sh1t as usual, so hopefully it wont be a wet day. The final steep part of the climb up the Gap has been resurfaced with smooth blacktop.

if numbers are small, the perhaps the organiswer would consider a mass start. but a number in the 70's is not so small.

Eoin , mass start ? or staggered starts at 8, 8:30, 9:00

the best sportives are the ones that hold a group together as long as possible or are big enough to permit groups to reform :

''The descent from Ballaghisheen is very fast with two sharp turns. I always tend to overcook the turns there.''

interesting, must look out/ be careful there.

''Gap of Dunloe will be full of horse sh1t as usual, so hopefully it wont be a wet day. ''

i had a horrible experience on the N81 out to blessington recently when torrential rain washed farm slurrry out onto the road , and just had to ride through it.......uuuugggghhhhh !! wet sh1te everywhere.!!

Jeez, that weather looks a bit cat alright. Not so sure I want to suffer the W200 all over again!!! The temps do seem to be a bit higher, that will make a difference.

I'm going down anyway, will turn up and I see from the map that the route passes back through the start point after 130K, guess I can make a decision at that point.

Does anybody know when the signin is open? I have emailed the address per the website but didn't hear anything back. I'm guessing they'll be no problem just turning up on the day, but need a bit more info.

As well as the time, where is the signin?

my mate is not anxious to do the 200 as not enuf miles in the legs , so have passed that infor to him, that to stop at 130 is possible.

must check those sign in and start details. think u can sign on , on the day .

http://www.iveragh200.com/?page_id=70

pre register by email before wednesday 13th then pay on day .

sign on:

Sign on starts at 7am until 9am at the Waterville gaa clubhouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Did the 130 last year was planning on the 200 but got caught on my own for most of the day meet a few straglers along the way. Dont think there was any where near 70 at it unless they had parked some place else. Mass start would be best for a small crowd and looks like bad weather for the weekend hope they are wrong like they were for the ring of Kerry. I have the day booked off work so looks like I will be bringing the winter gear.

Advertisement