Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Drink Bargain Alerts!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Litre bottles of Power's are €25 in Tesco until 6th December. I've found the booze burqa behind the counter in the smaller Tescos handy in situations like this. Having to ask keeps the impulse shoppers away from the bargains. Thanks, killjoys!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

O'Briens Whiskey sale:
    * Powers 3 Swallow €30
    * Bushmills Black Bush €26
    * Kilbeggan blended €20
    * Method & Madness Single Grain €40
    * Jameson caskmates range €29
    * Teeling small batch €33.60
    * Teeling Blackpitts €53
    * Buffalo trace bourbon €32
    * Eagle Rare 10yo bourbon €40
    * Slane whiskey €28
    * Sexton whiskey €35
    * Tyrconnel single malt €34

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Michter’s is reduced in Celtic Whisky Shop.

The straight rye is the one to go for, the best of the bunch and a whopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Redbreast reduced to €57 in Dunnes. Add a 10 off 50 voucher and it's €47. I couldn't say no at that price. They had nice Redbreat gift bags in Blanchardswtown - you may have to ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭tphase

Tullamore Dew Xo Rum Cask €27.54 in SuperValu down from €34.43.
    Priced at €51.95 in the Celtic Whiskey Shop :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

tphase wrote: »
    Tullamore Dew Xo Rum Cask €27.54 in SuperValu down from €34.43.
    Priced at €51.95 in the Celtic Whiskey Shop :eek:

They appear to be flooding the market with this whisky. They must have shed loads of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭tphase

They appear to be flooding the market with this whisky. They must have shed loads of it!
    it's our patriotic duty to help them out then.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

tphase wrote: »
    it's our patriotic duty to help them out then.....

Is Tullamore not owned by Grants now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Blackjack wrote: »
    Is Tullamore not owned by Grants now?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Any decent offers for craft beers? Doesn't seem to be any outstanding offers anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Mimon wrote: »
    Any decent offers for craft beers? Doesn't seem to be any outstanding offers anywhere.
    The best I do is 4 for tenner in Dunnes and then use a 10 off 50 voucher so you can get blacks or o haras etc for 2 a bottle.
    Currently Tesco have similar vouchers on the go.

SuperValu is currently doing two bottles of Leann Folláin at €4.92, for anyone who thinks Tesco's 4 for €10 is too rich for their blood.

TheDriver wrote: »
    The best I do is 4 for tenner in Dunnes and then use a 10 off 50 voucher so you can get blacks or o haras etc for 2 a bottle.
    Currently Tesco have similar vouchers on the go.

I have about 5 of these bloody vouchers. Every time I try and use them they give me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Craftcentral.ie are good. Lot's of 4 for €10 and 4 for €12 offers. Good selection of limited edition beers too.
    €5 delivery nationwide

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone know anywhere that stocks cans of Guinness Surger ???

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

Craftcentral.ie are good. Lot's of 4 for €10 and 4 for €12 offers. Good selection of limited edition beers too.
    €5 delivery nationwide

If you had to recommend eight beers tof all varieties from that website....

*edit* budget around €30 :-)

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere that stocks cans of Guinness Surger ?
    I don't think they're sold in Ireland. I'm not even sure if they still exist in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere that stocks cans of Guinness Surger ???

What is it?

What is it?
    It's an ultrasonic beer foamer, designed to recreate draught nitrogenated beer but from a can. It was developed for bars without a draught set-up but for some reason they made the system available to punters too. It requires special cans.
    519fYAl4b8L._AC_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Available in the UK definitely (amazon etc), I've also seen them in France. Both times I've seen them they were in hospitality settings that wouldn't have the demand or desire to get a proper install but wanted something that looked a bit more professional than just serving up a can. They were a big improvement on gone off Guinness from dirty lines you might often get in both countries.

Don't believe they've ever been marketed in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

520ml.
    I’m in. :D

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Available in the UK definitely (amazon etc), I've also seen them in France. Both times I've seen them they were in hospitality settings that wouldn't have the demand or desire to get a proper install but wanted something that looked a bit more professional than just serving up a can. They were a big improvement on gone off Guinness from dirty lines you might often get in both countries.

I had one in England a few years ago and it was the best pint I’ve had outside Ireland ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

2ndcoming wrote: »

I was served up a can of surger once in a bar in... Dublin :eek:

Looked and tasted perfect, if I hadn't seen the pint 'pulling' process I'd have been none the wiser.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's an ultrasonic beer foamer, designed to recreate draught nitrogenated beer but from a can. It was developed for bars without a draught set-up but for some reason they made the system available to punters too. It requires special cans.
    519fYAl4b8L._AC_.jpg

Why would they not make this product available in Ireland? If it's as good as it sounds, surely it should be their "normal/regular/standard" Guinness in a can? :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BandMember wrote: »
    Why would they not make this product available in Ireland? If it's as good as it sounds, surely it should be their "normal/regular/standard" Guinness in a can? :confused:

Irish people have enough notions about Guinness without adding another element to it.

BandMember wrote: »
    You have to buy a separate machine to make it work. The widget cans we get are self-contained perfect recreations of draught Guinness. Unless anyone here can provide sensory data otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    The widget cans we get are self-contained perfect recreations of draught Guinness. Unless anyone here can provide sensory data otherwise...
    I am not sure what machine of test device will do it, but if there is a foam density detector it should show them up as being less dense.

I have said it many times, the 500ml can is totally unsuited to a 568ml (or 500ml glass). I expect the development team came up with the perfect recommended volume (I estimate between 530 & 540ml) to fill a 568ml guinness glass with (the shape of the glass at the top will also have an impact). I expect they were tearing their hair out in utter disbelief when somebody in another department said "no way, the can MUST be 500ml".

"but but but, the can has to grow in size to fit the widget!!!! why not grow just a tad more and have a volume that will replicate a pub pint head, nice dome on top, if you put just 500ml in the can it will be a massive non compact head, we spent years on this!!! it will look like utter shite!!, the foam will have a totally wrong consistency!".

"nope 500ml, thats the rule"

The surger cans are 520ml, an improvment but that is still not enough, as you can see in videos. I have said before I would challenge the best barman in the world to pour a decent guinness using only 500ml of guinness into a 568ml glass, be it from a can or a finely tuned kegged system, it simply cannot happen (unless you have low standards or no actual sensation of the head)

In threads like this people go on about taste, I am certainly not saying there is a difference in literal taste if you let beers go flat and taste them with no head. If you go to one mcdonalds you might get a horribly dished up big mac that looks appalling, another can actually look like marketing pics (I have got them). Liquidise them both up and they might well taste the exact same. In this case its more like having a cream donut, one with perfectly whipped cream in it, and the other with it barely whipped at all, or whipped until its like butter. The head or cream is the nicely textured "icing on the cake". The cake underneath may taste the same (I reckon few will argue this but many presume they ARE arguing it without asking for confirmation!), but if the head/cream texture means absolutely nothing to you then lucky you! it does to other people, which should be utterly obvious.

Besides texture looks DO make a difference, and in the case of guinness the condition/texture of the head certainly makes a difference to me. If you did that nonsense upside down pour of a 500ml can into a 568ml glass, and did another careful pour of a 500ml can into a 500ml glass (you would have to leave some in the can) then I am 99% sure I could tell them apart, even if blindfolded. If you syringe off guinness below the head then not a hope of it! Even if I could not tell them apart blindfolded but prefer one over the other non-blindfolded then whats the issue? I am not usually wearing a blindfold! its like dyed blue potato is meant to be less preferred by fully sighted people, with good reason, you do not hear of similar mocking of people who care about the presentation of food, so why not a drink? many are wowed at cocktails or food which is presented well, even if they cannot tell the difference blindfolded. Most people going on about "good pints" pubs mean this but do not explicitly say it, or maybe not even know why they prefer it, but then get mocked and sneered at, they might well just mean it is better looking.

And once again, to get a decent domed compact head in a 568ml glass is quite simple, you pour a bit into it first from 1 can, then top up with a full 500ml can, it likely works with a 470ml can. I reckon a 470ml can might be very suited to a 500ml glass.

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not sure what machine of test device will do it
    A triangle test will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

rubadub wrote: »
    I am not sure what machine of test device will do it, but if there is a foam density detector it should show them up as being less dense.

I have said it many times, the 500ml can is totally unsuited to a 568ml (or 500ml glass). I expect the development team came up with the perfect recommended volume (I estimate between 530 & 540ml) to fill a 568ml guinness glass with (the shape of the glass at the top will also have an impact). I expect they were tearing their hair out in utter disbelief when somebody in another department said "no way, the can MUST be 500ml".

"but but but, the can has to grow in size to fit the widget!!!! why not grow just a tad more and have a volume that will replicate a pub pint head, nice dome on top, if you put just 500ml in the can it will be a massive non compact head, we spent years on this!!! it will look like utter shite!!, the foam will have a totally wrong consistency!".

"nope 500ml, thats the rule"

The surger cans are 520ml, an improvment but that is still not enough, as you can see in videos. I have said before I would challenge the best barman in the world to pour a decent guinness using only 500ml of guinness into a 568ml glass, be it from a can or a finely tuned kegged system, it simply cannot happen (unless you have low standards or no actual sensation of the head)

In threads like this people go on about taste, I am certainly not saying there is a difference in literal taste if you let beers go flat and taste them with no head. If you go to one mcdonalds you might get a horribly dished up big mac that looks appalling, another can actually look like marketing pics (I have got them). Liquidise them both up and they might well taste the exact same. In this case its more like having a cream donut, one with perfectly whipped cream in it, and the other with it barely whipped at all, or whipped until its like butter. The head or cream is the nicely textured "icing on the cake". The cake underneath may taste the same (I reckon few will argue this but many presume they ARE arguing it without asking for confirmation!), but if the head/cream texture means absolutely nothing to you then lucky you! it does to other people, which should be utterly obvious.

Besides texture looks DO make a difference, and in the case of guinness the condition/texture of the head certainly makes a difference to me. If you did that nonsense upside down pour of a 500ml can into a 568ml glass, and did another careful pour of a 500ml can into a 500ml glass (you would have to leave some in the can) then I am 99% sure I could tell them apart, even if blindfolded. If you syringe off guinness below the head then not a hope of it! Even if I could not tell them apart blindfolded but prefer one over the other non-blindfolded then whats the issue? I am not usually wearing a blindfold! its like dyed blue potato is meant to be less preferred by fully sighted people, with good reason, you do not hear of similar mocking of people who care about the presentation of food, so why not a drink? many are wowed at cocktails or food which is presented well, even if they cannot tell the difference blindfolded. Most people going on about "good pints" pubs mean this but do not explicitly say it, or maybe not even know why they prefer it, but then get mocked and sneered at, they might well just mean it is better looking.

And once again, to get a decent domed compact head in a 568ml glass is quite simple, you pour a bit into it first from 1 can, then top up with a full 500ml can, it likely works with a 470ml can. I reckon a 470ml can might be very suited to a 500ml glass.

The Guinness ****e talk has gone too far. You may aswell just stop drinking it, I think it is getting you too worked up, thinking about all the possibilities of the pint/pour/presentation going wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Is this a drinks bargain thread?

Advertisement