Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where can I take laptop to get cleaned

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You shouldn't need to fiddle if you know what you are doing.

A clean install gets the best results but is rarely needed. Uninstalling unwanted apps and services then cleaning out temp files and caches usually achieves 90% of what a clean install does. If you want 100% then do a clean install.

Backing up and restoring data or the OS isn't an issue. The main problem with cleaning or re-install, is finding out all the users passwords, logon names as this is usually cached and often forgotten. Its time consuming to gather this information. If you clean up rather than reinstall, this information is preserved as is. Often the user doesn't have the original disks either, or the serial code to re install and/or the recovery partition has been wiped. Also a re-install is beyond most users. Whereas, its useful for a user to clean their machine on a regular basis as a security precaution, and to keep it up to speed.

So yes a fresh install is the best way to clean a machine. But there can be equally valid reasons for doing a cleanup instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

There's a thread on the Virus Forum on removing whatever this babylon search thing is you've picked up.

Did you read that thread? Because there's no solution posted in it, yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

BostonB wrote: »
    Did you read that thread? Because there's no solution posted in it, yet.
    So there ain't....all the logs make it hard to read and I mixed it up with the other one with the logs.

It does look easy (some other stuff in this one that's not in your one even though posted on the same day) enough to remove so I'm not sure what the logs are about.

And only a 1 minute google also...

Advertisement