Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ball Lightning in Ireland???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

I may have posted this before on here but its about the only 'surreal' thing that has happened to me so its worth mentioning again in the context of ball lightning as it seems to fit in with some of the other reports.

When: Jan/Feb 1995 around 9/10pm

Where: Minor road about .5mile from home house

Weather conditions: Calm, dry, cold, slightly cloudy. Probably 5 or 6deg if I had to guess.

What happened: We were in the car coming back from a football match. about half a mile from home there is a stretch of the road with no houses which is quite dark. There are a few trees either side of the road.

As we approach, my Dad and I almost at the same time said "what's that?". A greeny yellow ball of light was moving from right to left about 30ft in the air. Not fast, but not slow either. The ball was at a guess about half a metre wide. A couple of seconds after we said that, it stoppped, hovered and then moved left to right away from our approaching car.

We slowed down to try and get a better look at which point the thing sped up and disappeared out of view. The whole thing lasted no longer than 15-20secs and we both talk about it to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hard to say obviously but could even be something as simple as the moon scudding behind some fast moving clouds as seen through branches. You'd be amazed at the number of apparently bizarre sightings which have relatively mundane explanations. Just guessing of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Hard to say obviously but could even be something as simple as the moon scudding behind some fast moving clouds as seen through branches. You'd be amazed at the number of apparently bizarre sightings which have relatively mundane explanations. Just guessing of course...

Ball lightning might be uncommon, but it's certainly real. I find the above story from 1896 is remarkable because it is almost identical to an experience I was told by two Wicklow farmers following the huge electrical storm in 1995. In that case the ball appeared in the room and moved rapidly around the room until it hit a light fitting on the wall and disappeared. The light fitting was obliterated.

My father saw ball lightning a decade earlier when the ball moved down the laneway and around the side of the house. He initially though it was the headlight of a motorbike until it suddenly disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

I agree that bizarre things generally have mundane explanations, however in this case we were completely stumped as to what it could have been. It definitely wasnt the moon though as it was moving between the trees and not behind them. It was also changing direction from right-> left then from left -> right.

On a funnier note, a few years later, near the same part of the road I was walking home after a few drinks with friends. I'll admit I was a bit hesitant due to the earlier experience so I started to run. I had gone about 100 yard when a bloody great badger came out of the hedge in front of me! never been so frightened in my life!!:pac::o

Advertisement