Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing kit but no airlock ?

Options
  • 19-06-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Just bought a Coopers Home Brew Kit from the local offy.
    I waited months before they finally were able to supply the kit for Cider!
    since I dont drink Beer/Ale/Stout/Wine. (Vodka and Cider I love but little else)

Anyway, the kit has a large bin (with tap at bottom) a Krausen Kollar
    (which looks like its something to catch the crud of dead yeast around the edges??) and a lid.

The Lid only goes on top but does not screw in or form a full seal.
    There is also no airlock on top.

Wondering is this ok or not ?
    I was asuuming it would not have a full airthght seal to allow gas out but thought the
    airlock was to stop external air or germs etc from getting back in.

The youtube videos of the coopers home brew kits show a screw on lid
    with an airlock. Wondering just how important these are ? and why the beer kit (bought the Cide mix separate) would not have one.

I've never home-brewed before (even if it is from a ready made kit that does all the hard work) so I will
    either love it or poison myself.

~B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Does the lid have a hole in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Nope, the Collar bit slots in which is removed after a few days,
    and the Lid just simply has a lip on it so it gently sits on top.
    It comes with two tiny plastic clips so the lid accidentally wont come off due to build up of gas but that's about it.

I might document by first attempt to see how I get on but would rather
    not start before knowing if safe to proceed with current equipment or if I will need to seal the top, drill a hole and make my own airlock.

Here a pic:
    brew2.jpg
    brew1.jpg

~B

Huh, well, I don't know, to be honest. I'd say you are grand, since some people just cover a bucket with a damp towel, and Cooper's is a good brand in whose interest it is that your homebrew goes well so you buy more. CO2 is heavier than air, so the lid should keep out any particles and the CO2 blanket over your beer will prevent oxidisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Its the new Coopers Micro Brew kit. Its cheaper and has no airlock, but is vented or something. My local home brew guy was telling me about it.

Cheers guys thanks for the advise.
    Will try it out tomorrow. It cost 125 Euros, came with everyhing I needed including a Beer Mix so I bought the Cider mix for another 25 and a heating belt too. Came with 49 Brown bottles and caps so looking forward to testing it out.

One thing from reading some of the posts here is that some people mentioned they were getting a Cider like taste from Larger and Beer that
    was undesired. (since they were not making Cider)

The Kit comes with "Brew Enhancer 2" thats ment to do the following:
    contains dextrose, maltodextrin and Light Dry Malt. The dextrose will ferment out completely with no residual cidery flavours whilst the maltodextrin does not ferment thus improving the body, mouthfeel and head retention.

Not sure to use that ^^ since since I do want a cidery flavour or to buy a bag of sugar.

Another surprise for a total newbie was that after things are brewed and before bottling you still need to add "apple flavoring"

If ya see me post here again in about 2-3 week ye will know I survived! :D

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

bullets wrote: »
    It cost 125 Euro

Wow. Thats not cheaper than before. It used to be €80-€90. Where did you pay €125 for it?

Wow. Thats not cheaper than before. It used to be €80-€90. Where did you pay €125 for it?

Next Door off licence in Dooradoyle Limerick.

I bought the
    Home Brewing Kit
    Cider Mix pack
    Heating Belt
    An extra packet of carbonation drops
    And 6 cans of cider to drink drink while reading the instructions.

Feckers charged me a total of 198.49 for the lot. :eek:
    never questioned it at the time but I'll go in tomorrow to ask about the prices again. The Kit on its own was 125. So they may have screwed me for the heating belt which was an optional extra that I never bothered pricing.

~B

I'm afraid you were charged quite a lot, although local shops are always fairly expensive anyway. Homebrew West sell that kit with a brewbelt and beer kit (not cider, though, or cans for that matter!) for €115 delivered. You could add a cider kit for €20 more. Could you bring back what you got? Or maybe just chalk it up to experience and avoid that place again.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

This video expalins the new Coopers Kit and why it doesn't need an air lock.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube#p/u/8/ihM298LGoZo

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    This video expalins the new Coopers Kit and why it doesn't need an air lock.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CraigTube#p/u/8/ihM298LGoZo

That guy is great, but goddamn does he go on and on and on....

• Advertisement

Cheers! I was watching "Craig tube" last night but had not seen that particular vid. (I had got as far as the one where he was unboxing the same Kit! but the older version!) After about 6 pints last night I was nearly shouting at the screen saying Shut up Craig and get on with it! And drink yer pint instead of only taking a sip! but fair dues to the Man for taking the time to record it and put it out there :D

re: expense and stuff, had been looking at stuff for a while online including
    things like starter kits and an apple press etc but never got round to buying it and reading here
    about trying to use Apple Juice from supermarkets and having the preservatives interfere with fermentation etc.
    When I saw the cider kit in the offy after looking at the equipment for so long every time
    I was in there it was an Impulse buy! :D so my own fault for paying that much.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 homebrew.ie

Do not use the brew enhancer with the cider. Brew enhancer 2 is designed to go with malty beer so it would make a funky tasting cider you'd be best using brewing sugar but it will be fine with normal sugar.

The apple flavour sachet is so you can adjust the flavour to your own taste as same people like their cider dry others prefer it tasting really appley. Magnum is the only cider kit that comes with the apple sachet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

...trying to use Apple Juice from supermarkets and having the preservatives interfere with fermentation etc...

I'm brewing using standard from-concentrate apple juice atm, it's working well so far. 9.3% ABV though!

I was in there it was an Impulse buy! :D so my own fault for paying that much.

~B

Ah, well, over the lifetime of the kit, you will save plenty of money in booze.

Confab wrote: »
    I'm brewing using standard from-concentrate apple juice atm, it's working well so far. 9.3% ABV though!

Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of fun so experimenting!

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MR PIGGY

Hi all,
    Just like the first post on this thread i am using my Cooper Brew kit for the first time this weekend. I followed the instructions (starting on saturday morning) and all has gone well regarding the fermenting stage as there is a nice large head on the top of the brew. This morning (Monday) i removed the Krausin collar as the head had subsided in order to place the top lid back on. This is were i noticed something that i did that i think i was not ment to, 2 clips came with the unit to clip the lid to the krausin collar however i think these are only ment to be used for when storing the unit when not in use. I am wondering because the lid was cliped on would this stop the co2 from escaping and if so what effect would this have on the end result.

Please can somebody please help me out with this as i dont wont to go poisoning anybody on my first atempt.

Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

All the lid on a fermenting bucket does is stop crap from falling in. Lid on or lid off doesn't matter.

BeerNut wrote: »
    All the lid on a fermenting bucket does is stop crap from falling in. Lid on or lid off doesn't matter.

Hi Beernut.

Please correct me if im wrong as i am a new comer to this beer brewing art, but i thought the lid had to be on so as to stop air getting at the brew. i thought the old water trap that use to be used was to let co2 out and no air in.

MR PIGGY wrote: »
    i thought the lid had to be on so as to stop air getting at the brew.
    Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, so a blanket of it will just sit on top of the beer and prevent air from getting at it.

Lots of commercial breweries use open fermentors.

Look mum, no lids:
    kvaseni-piva.jpg

Thanks Beernut,

I get what your saying now. What was the reason for the old water trap idea, was it there just to show when fermentation had stopped so as to indicate when bottling could commence.

Cheers:)

• Advertisement

I get what your saying now. What was the reason for the old water trap idea
    When it is bubbling it shows that fermentation is happening.
    was it there just to show when fermentation had stopped so as to indicate when bottling could commence.
    No. Just because there's no bubbling doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

So the only true way of knowing if fermentation has stopped is to take a hydrometer reading.:confused:

Yup. Several, in fact. Once they're consistent, fermentation has stopped.

Thanks again for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Here is a great video from Sierra Nevada of open fermentation of their Barley-wine Bigfoot, great clips

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/images/bigfootsmall.mov

Note the room is under positive pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

MR PIGGY here is pic of my fermentor, there is no air lock on this was i have a temp probe in place, i also leave the lid loses to allow CO2 to vent bug entering it

18042011643-1.jpg

Hi all again.
    My Coopers pale ale has been in the fermentor for 6 days now. I took a reading last night and it was at about 1.011. Now this mornig its about 1.008. I should say that i dont know if it is my hydrometer or me but it tends to got to about 1.005 and fluctuates between 1.005 and 1.008. Am i doing something wrong because i did not think it could go as far as 1.005.

Please help

Cheers

I think that's within the margin of error for something bobbing in jar. Are you calibrating for temperature?

BeerNut wrote: »
    I think that's within the margin of error for something bobbing in jar. Are you calibrating for temperature?
    When i leave it sit for a while it seems to rise to 1.008/.9. Can you please explain the calibration for temperature.

• Advertisement

Your hydrometer is only accurate when the liquid is 20C. You need to adjust the reading when it's different. You can use something like this.

Advertisement