Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men dressing up in wimmans clothes...

Options
  • 18-06-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

This is may sound like a bizarre enquiry. Just curious to know how many heterosexual guys will admit to enjoy wearing women’s clothing..

Seriously...

A mate recently and openly declared he likes to dress up in women’s clothing; he is a platonic friend in a relationship. I would describe him as in touch with his feminine side but also very manly into guy sprots has a shed etc.. and unquestionably straight.

We discussed it his girlfriend knows and doesn't have a problem with it!

Now I reckon there are probably a lot of guys out there that do the same. Personally don’t have a problem with it but on the same note not sure if I would want my fella borrowing my finest fabrics. It is fair to say we all have a masculine and feminine side and society allows women to indulge in both, men’s roles are more limited when it comes to dress.. So is it a big deal? if so why?

I am aware that its not considered cool and possibly weird for a guy to want to pounce around in a dress but is it a taboo that goes on more frequently than care to recognise? If you don’t maybe you know of a normal (ish) heterosexual guy that does?

Please note this is a toatlly serious question and if could keep the smart ass wit to a minimum and have a discussion about it. T'would be great.

Thanks kindly

Experiences of Men dressing up in wimmans clothing 121 votes

That's disgusting and perverse the only dress a guy should ware is a christiening gown
    0% 0 votes
    Anyone that wears the wimmans clothes is gay
    9% 11 votes
    I don't but don't think it's a big deal
    11% 14 votes
    I know some that is into it.
    41% 50 votes
    I am a manly man and like to wear wimmans clothes sometimes
    6% 8 votes
    I am a woman and I think its sick
    9% 12 votes
    I am a woman and I don't mind as long as don't borrow my good stuff
    5% 7 votes
    Other please state
    15% 19 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Moved to the Gentlemen's Club for a more serious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Was there not a similar thread to this that was locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Clothes is clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Whatever way people want to dress is cool with me. If a mate of mine told me that he dresses in women's clothes I'd still treat him with the same respect I would with anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Thats exactly what I think ..but why such a taboo about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Bit odd, as in not inside the norm, but whatever floats your frilly lace bra!

Fr. Jack: "WOMENS KNICKERS!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I dunno how it'd be gay, since I can't imagine a gay man fancying someone dressing like a woman.

Anyhow, whatever floats your boat. I might give more than a little smile at the thought of some fella dressed up in woman's clothes, cause I think it would look a bit naff on most fella, but live and let live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

I'm undecided about this. I suppose it depends on how feminine the clothing is. I bought a check shirt from a charity shop some years ago that was hanging up in the men's section and when I got home I discovered it was designed for women. But that didn't bother me. It looked manly enough.

I shouldn't really be prejudiced about this. I've always had a yen for tomboys, girls who dress and often behave like boys so I shouldn't have anything against boys who dress like girls.

Besides, a lot of women's clothing could pass as men's clothing and vice-versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Funnily enough a woman can dress up like a guy and people dont bat an eyelid.So vice versa it is no problem.

In Tudor times it was men who wore silken hosiery and whose legs are commented on.Silken Thomas loved his clothes. And, a friend of my son gets the perfect jeans in Zara the girls section.

Now I dress well and have lots of clothes and have some fairly flamboyant stuff for a straight guy. Shopping with my OH is something I enjoy.

So in one way fashion and dapperness is an issue. One of the OH's friends once called me cute and cuddly like Ken (as in Ken & Barbie)

I use face products.(Its not unknown for me to wind Otis up about it here but fcek the lad is so hairy he uses a flymo instead of a razor :D)

Other people might like the sensual experience and I could never see myself doing the whole waxing thing.Cary Grant used to buy french knickers for the comfort. And what about long hair in the 60's.

For some guys the issue is deeper and you have gender identity issues and, some of these are biological/physiological. And if it is ,though I cant understand it and it wouldnt be for me, why should it bother me. I cant understand tats and piercings either. I dont understand how electricity works either and get along fine,

So I am hardly that perfect that a guy wearing womens clothes is going to offend or bother me in any way.

Live and let live.

Now a guy with an AK47 - thats something that would concern me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think that if a male friend of mine told he he liked to wear wimminz clothes, I'd have a bit of a giggle about it (yes, ignorance) and try to get him to dress up. Then if he did arrive dressed in whatever it is he he liked to dress in I'd probably say "well hello there sexy!" and sit down and have a beer or two with him. At the end of the day,so long as he is happy and not doing any harm to anyone, its fine by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Very weird imo. If a mate said he did it, well I would laugh tbh

He reckons that it gives him an inexplicable good feeling. Not just sensual. I can't plague him with anymore questions as am sure at this stage sorry ever mentioned it!
    Still though ,while I don't have a problem with him. I think if it was my fella or a family member might have a react differently.

I guess each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Some of those poll options overlap.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Some of those poll options overlap.
    Thanks for that ... don't think can change it now though. Pick which ever one relate to the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

CDfm wrote: »
    Funnily enough a woman can dress up like a guy and people dont bat an eyelid.So vice versa it is no problem.

it's a strange dichotomy, isn't it?

I've no problems with it, I've got a male friend who cross dresses, and I never said anything to him.

honestly, I think more guys would probably like to wear womens clothes if it wasn't so taboo.

Why on earth would a man want to wear womens clothes? I don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

For fun?

Galvasean wrote: »
    For fun?
    I had to dress up in womans clothes for a play once, was hardly fun. (well the acting bit was I guess)

I'll stick with the PS3 I think, but each to their own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Links234 wrote: »
    it's a strange dichotomy, isn't it?

It is but look at this guy

210px-Henry-VIII-kingofengland_1491-1547.jpg

Clothes are like a uniform and being part of a peer group.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTByaYjgHxzfdF2KaV_lTUpAxlOsoOWz29uRztcwt-3NCH4WSZq&t=1

_40401621_fashion.jpg

So cool is relative and fashion changes with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Never did it but I did wear Ladies 501s, tighter in the crotch area so I'd advise going commando ;)

• Advertisement

AFAIK it is to alleviate masculinity and some sort of escapism. For some dressing up and putting on makeup might be same high that other people get from drugs drink or power gliding etc.

There is also a submissive element in it but that isn’t just it.

I reckon woman get to dress as they wish; wearing guy’s clothes has become the norm. Whereas men are stricken in trousers and other limited options. Perhaps it is an expression of sensitivity.. and creativity or just the opportunity to dress up?

I don’t know ... but I am becoming fascinated with it.

BTW Thanks to all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only okay if it's for the womens mini marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll stick with the PS3 I think, but each to their own I guess.

Indeed. I couldn't understand an adult wanting to play PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Well, what is it that makes clothes "feminine" in the first place?

There's hardly anything biological that dictates that it's unnatural or weird for men to wear skirts, for example.

It's pretty bizarre that the cut of a piece of fabric can be ascribed a gender, but there you go. Society is what's very weird tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 beglopty

wimmans?

I can understand when people use shorthand to save time, e.g. ppl rather than people, but what is this about? I have seen it a couple of times.

Is it 'cool'?

beglopty wrote: »
    wimmans?

I can understand when people use shorthand to save time, e.g. ppl rather than people, but what is this about? I have seen it a couple of times.

Is it 'cool'?

Yup. Anything else to add?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I know a fair few cross dressers, for some it's being in drag and silly and fun and for other's it's more serious and about the feel of the clothes, for other's they have a different persona when dressed and yes they would for the most part be 'straight' men.
    What ever a person is into, if I was to turn up to a friends house for dinner and he was to suddenly open the door in a twinset, perals and a skirt I'd not bat an eye lid and it would not make him less of a man in my eyes at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

yawha wrote: »
    Well, what is it that makes clothes "feminine" in the first place?

There's hardly anything biological that dictates that it's unnatural or weird for men to wear skirts, for example.[...]

Interestingly, if you read Arrian's "The Campaigns of Alexander" when he and some of his men adopted the Persian style of men wearing pants they were mocked as it was seen as effeminate.

Funny how social attitudes can change so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

No problem with it at all. Cant say it would float my boat personally, but whatever people want to wear is entirely up to them. More power to them I say.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Indeed. I couldn't understand an adult wanting to play PS3.
    You would be surprised, lots and lots of adults play Ps3s or x boxes

Advertisement