Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leather bound journal

Options
  • 16-06-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Could anyone please advise as to where I would get something similar to this in Dublin.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Thank you bluewolf, I shall give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

OH MY GOD I WALK PAST THAT SHOP EVERYDAY!

This is THE worst news for me and my stationary addiction!

Also OP, paperblanks and other widely available fancy notebook chaps have notebooks bound in the same traditional way, though I haven't seen them with a classy leather style. Damn... I think I may have to buy one, I can't resist classy stationary. Damn it. I might try do one of my random novels in my to-do list with pen and ink... laptop be damned!

Gosh I'm jonesin' for some stationary now!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fewcifur wrote: »
    OH MY GOD I WALK PAST THAT SHOP EVERYDAY!

This is THE worst news for me and my stationary addiction!

Also OP, paperblanks and other widely available fancy notebook chaps have notebooks bound in the same traditional way, though I haven't seen them with a classy leather style. Damn... I think I may have to buy one, I can't resist classy stationary. Damn it. I might try do one of my random novels in my to-do list with pen and ink... laptop be damned!

Gosh I'm jonesin' for some stationary now!

I managed to resist the ones in italy despite being drawn to those shops like a moth to flame - I did leave with sealing wax, beautiful glass fountain pen & quill though :o:o:o
    I'm tempted to go to the pen corner soon and get a journal now too though :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    I managed to resist the ones in italy despite being drawn to those shops like a moth to flame - I did leave with sealing wax, beautiful glass fountain pen & quill though :o:o:o

Oh wow, sealing wax would be awesome! I've loads of personalised stamps but no sealing wax :(
    A glass fountain pen? That's really cool! My current weapon of choice is these "Online" brand of pens that I can only ever find in Germany. They use cartridge pen ink and write with the same fluidity, but they're more like a ball point so they tend to be more durable. The first one I got was fantastic, I searched all of Munich this year for replacements, but while I found the brand I didn't find the high end stuff, so I got the least silly looking cheaper versions.
    Quill eh? That IS pretty rock n roll! How is it to write with?
    I wish I needed a new notebook, I currently have: novel related research moleskine, work ideas and ideas/observations moleskine (reporter style), Story ideas from dreams Neues Tag notebook (Suicide Bunnies! Ace), Important events journal Paperchase, Short stories Paperchase, songs & poetry (some Italian yokey), various smaller notebooks for specific album work... and then a load of fecking blank ones for the possibility of getting time to draw a comic. So... I can't think of anything else I need a notebook for, yet I now actually neeeeeed a leather bound one! :(:o:(

• Advertisement

Jaysus. I have plain old notebooks :pac:
    But I want a leather one now.
    Yes, though I think I may have lost both the seal and the wax by now!!

The quill, I discovered, is pretty much for ornamentation purposes I think - I find it impossible to write with, despite a lovely silver nib. But someone who was righthanded had better luck with it so maybe that's it? It's a gorgeous blue with blue ink though.
    The glass pen is definitely useable and I have used it a good bit. Ran out of ink actually must get more :eek:

p.s. I don't know that the pen corner does nice notebooks, so don't blame me if it doesn't...

Jaysus. I have plain old notebooks :pac:
    But I want a leather one now.
    Yes, though I think I may have lost both the seal and the wax by now!!

The quill, I discovered, is pretty much for ornamentation purposes I think - I find it impossible to write with, despite a lovely silver nib. But someone who was righthanded had better luck with it so maybe that's it? It's a gorgeous blue with blue ink though.
    The glass pen is definitely useable and I have used it a good bit. Ran out of ink actually must get more :eek:

p.s. I don't know that the pen corner does nice notebooks, so don't blame me if it doesn't...

Some people buy pretty shoes or fancy cars, my vice is stationary.

Oh the quill has a silver nib? Hmm,it's like a hybrid. Cool. Oh it'd suck if it was already bent for a right-handed person, I've lost too many good fountain pens to damn righties!
    I do love a good blue ink. I'm currently working with some hybrid colours. Started with a standard blue cartridge, then swapped it out for a pale turqoise, then gonna bust some blue back in there for a few pages, then back out. Then I've got a purple cartridge for my next adventure, can't wait to see how that looks. It's all very exciting I'm sure you'll agree.

I've the horrible feeling that the Pen Corner only do really nice Cross and Mount Blanc pens. Maybe a Parker or two. But damn, I'm going to march in with my best suit and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I got a couple of those leather bound notebooks at Oktoberfest in Galway.

I also have a quill and ink, and a wax stamper. Glad to know I'm not alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cummybaby

Chapters, just off Parnell Square, do leather bound notebooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

The shops in italy are AMAZING, i too got a glass pen (I think I have 3 of them now. they were cheap enough and got them on different trips), it's a fountain pen that i dont really use but it looks awesome. I also have a fountain feather pen with a purple plume, don't use that either as it is also a fountain pen, I have inks (cool looking ink bottles) but I havnt really sat down to use them properly in a while. I do have a metal feather pen with ballpoint cartridge in it but my hand is too big and the metal digs into me :mad:
    also got sealing wax/stamps/a page blotter. I was basically going from thing to thing saying "oh i need this and this and this and this and this ooooohhh three of these" "will you ever use these?" "....yes..."

• Advertisement

CD. wrote: »
    The shops in italy are AMAZING, i too got a glass pen (I think I have 3 of them now. they were cheap enough and got them on different trips), it's a fountain pen that i dont really use but it looks awesome. I also have a fountain feather pen with a purple plume, don't use that either as it is also a fountain pen, I have inks (cool looking ink bottles) but I havnt really sat down to use them properly in a while. I do have a metal feather pen with ballpoint cartridge in it but my hand is too big and the metal digs into me :mad:
    also got sealing wax/stamps/a page blotter. I was basically going from thing to thing saying "oh i need this and this and this and this and this ooooohhh three of these" "will you ever use these?" "....yes..."

Yes, in my defense, I did use the sealing wax! :) Nice for letters!

This all sounds wonderful! It's tipping the balance towards a trip to Italy over Lisbon or adventures in Germany.

My notebooks, quill & ink, wax & stamper

I've got some full size journals around here somewhere too but I've no idea where :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm beginning to feel guilty for doing so much writing on my laptop...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

I'm beginning to feel guilty for doing so much writing on my laptop...

I do most of my writing on laptop/computer, I use journals/pens and the like mostly for jotting down notes. mostly because my hand writing is crap and sometimes i can't read it + my hand gets sore if i write for anything longer than a couple of sentences.

I do most of my writing on laptop/computer, I use journals/pens and the like mostly for jotting down notes. mostly because my hand writing is crap and sometimes i can't read it + my hand gets sore if i write for anything longer than a couple of sentences.

Me too. I know some writers who use pen and paper for everything except the final draft, but I've no idea how they manage it. I use paper for plotting and exploring ideas, and then once I know how the story hangs together, everything is done through the keyboard.

Antilles wrote: »

I've got some full size journals around here somewhere too but I've no idea where :)

Very shiny leather notebooks there, must say I'd be more into a more natural worn look on the lads.
    Me too. I know some writers who use pen and paper for everything except the final draft, but I've no idea how they manage it. I use paper for plotting and exploring ideas, and then once I know how the story hangs together, everything is done through the keyboard.

I usually sketch out ideas on paper and do the actual writing on a laptop, but I've found when I'm out and about without a laptop I actually do much better work. If I ever get the dreaded block I simply switch back to paper.

Very shiny leather notebooks there, must say I'd be more into a more natural worn look on the lads.
    Me too, unfortunately when I've found ones with that look they tend to cost a bunch more. I think those two cost about a fiver :)

I think the style you're talking about is called "stressed leather"? Definitely you can get much better looking notebooks if you're willing to pay for them or lucky enough to find them cheap ;)

Shiny! I will share my quill & ink as well then:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00132.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00133.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00134.jpg

I don't have any fancy notebooks and don't know where the stamper is!
    Don't have any picture of the glass pen either

• Advertisement

Shiny! I will share my quill & ink as well then:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00132.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00133.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/blueywolf/DSC00134.jpg

I don't have any fancy notebooks and don't know where the stamper is!
    Don't have any picture of the glass pen either

I do so love the colour of that quill.

In other news, I actually decided to go to Italy for stationary shopping, so expect me to return in August with too many notebooks and too few euro :)

That is a gorgeous quill. How do you find writing with it?

The pen, I can actually write with and I quite enjoy it. It has a few different nibs but that one is my favourite one. It took a little while to get used to and timing with the ink and everything. I must dig it out again actually to write with :)

Pen, obviously oops :D

I need a lot of practice before I'll be able to write with enough speed and legibility to do it properly. Right now writing with mine takes ages looks very spidery.

Oh i was just emphasising that I could write with the pen as opposed to the quill, not correcting you :o
    Yeah it takes practice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

TK Maxx. The one in Limerick has tons of (actually nice) leather bound notebooks in a variety of styles (my most recent purchase has a leather flap with a press fastener with a metal clasp - kind of celtic-y design on it - and a stone on the clasp. Very inexpensive too, I think about €12 or €15, A5 size.)

They have them in a number of sizes, both plain and tooled leather, some virtually the same as BoardsRanger's image.

They also had lots of TeNeues magnetic notebooks (like Paperblanks, not necessarily always lined but the unlined ones tend to have a lined under-page) and a variety of other very pretty and affordable notebooks.

I don't know if the ones in Dublin are the same, but the Cork one was, though it's a while since I've been in there.

:)

Blush_01 wrote: »
    TK Maxx. The one in Limerick has tons of (actually nice) leather bound notebooks in a variety of styles (my most recent purchase has a leather flap with a press fastener with a metal clasp - kind of celtic-y design on it - and a stone on the clasp. Very inexpensive too, I think about €12 or €15, A5 size.)

They have them in a number of sizes, both plain and tooled leather, some virtually the same as BoardsRanger's image.

They also had lots of TeNeues magnetic notebooks (like Paperblanks, not necessarily always lined but the unlined ones tend to have a lined under-page) and a variety of other very pretty and affordable notebooks.

I don't know if the ones in Dublin are the same, but the Cork one was, though it's a while since I've been in there.

:)

Oh my god, to TK Maxx! I love those TeNeues ones (that's what I meant when I wrote Tag Neues above :o ) Must have a look. I'm tempted to leave my laptop at home for my Italian adventure, just so I can have a little book for writing :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

:eek: I need all of these beautiful things. I never use notebooks, but I kind of, um, collect them anyway. Must start writing more. I used to write a lot but now I never seem to find anything to write about :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

If you're passing the Grand Social by the Ha'penny Bride on a Saturday, I think I've seen a stall in the flea market in there selling leather bound notebooks of various kinds. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh my god, to TK Maxx! I love those TeNeues ones (that's what I meant when I wrote Tag Neues above :o ) Must have a look. I'm tempted to leave my laptop at home for my Italian adventure, just so I can have a little book for writing :)

I have many that are too beautiful to write in. And some Caroline Gardiner ones. They're usually around the €6 mark.

I have a pile (about three feet tall) supported by the piles of unread books on either side on my desk at home. They all lean on eachother, I take it they're friends by now, and I'd hate to break up a beautiful friendship. (The excuses come thick and fast these days - like my excuses for not going to bed. Sigh.)

[Edited to say - my mother has threatened to disown me if I buy more without actually using some of the ones I already have. So I've started a little collection in Cork now too. Not a mad fan of ringbound notebooks, but some of the Paperchase ones are a nice size so the binding doesn't bother me as much. Still prefer hardback or leather though! :D]

Advertisement