Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you carry with you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I went shopping for traditional patches recently and was told they were being phased out due to air pollution issues with the glue. Only self-adhesive patches to be had!
    That sounds like rubbish from someone who didn't have the traditional patches. Bike repair is far from the primary application of the stuff. Self-adhesive patches will not hold indefinitely under the high pressures you use with road bike tubes (they may with MTB/hybrid tubes, I don't know, have not used them there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I went shopping for traditional patches recently and was told they were being phased out due to air pollution issues with the glue. Only self-adhesive patches to be had!

The only similar report I'd heard was this:
    http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/05/puncture-repairs-banned-in-denmark.html
    Bike mechanics are now required to wear gloves and masks when repairing punctures using the vulcanized rubber glue for sticking patches on tubes. In addition, they're required to install a ventilation system in their bike shops.

Apologies to blorg for linking to you-know-where.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've used the self adhesive patches on a MTB, and found them to be poor, similar to a slow puncture where tyre is flat again next morning or day after. No substitute for a proper patch. I carry them for emergencies, but would only use them if there was no alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

daymobrew wrote: »
    I put most of my stuff in a bum bag
    smacl wrote: »
    Have you considered the alternative

Self respect?

Seriously daymo, take a long hard look at yourself. Bum bag. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

I wear glasses and a couple of months ago I hearly dropped them when wiping rain off them, so since then have thrown two disposable contact in saddle bag to avoid a blurry ride home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Anyone carry puncture repair in a can?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Bicycle-Bike-Tyre-Repair-Puncture-Fix-Spray-Can-/200613848078?pt=UK_Spots_Leisure_Cycling_Tools_RepairKits&hash=item2eb584640e

I have used it a couple of times and it has always worked well for me. Very easy to put a patch on the tube when you get home too as it doesn't leave a lot of residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Roadbike - house key, money, phone, banana, fig rolls in pockets. On the bike, 1 or 2 water bottles, pump, bag containing tube, repair kit, multitool, tie wraps.

Mountain Bike - camel back, CO2 pump and extra refills, leatherman, tie wraps, power link, small first aid kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

touring bike i carry 2 tubes
    1 spare tire (tyre)
    enough tools to fix almost anything on the bike.in one small tupperware box.;)
    camera
    food (snacks)
    sometimes flask coffee.
    rain gear.
    all this is carried in my carradice rack bag..

on the road bikes i carry two tubes
    multi tool
    chainbraker
    tire leavers..
    there you go thats about it i think. better to be looking at it than looking for it ;)

Advertisement