Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No recruitment campaign scheduled for 2012

• 14-06-2011 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Freedom of information request on PSNI website:

Question 1
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Will there be any active recruitment for new police officers, within the PSNI in 2012? [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Answer
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]There is no new police recruitment competition scheduled for 2012. [/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.psni.police.uk/psni_recruitment_2012.pdf

Of course that could change at any time! But I thought the FOI response might be of interest.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Wow. That potentially means it'll be 2014 before we get new Student Officers due to the amount of time a Campaign takes for ISTs, A/Cs, Medicals, Vetting and then the dreaded wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Nightmare, think its safe to say we have missed the boat folks. booooo.
    Bet it was a boardsie who put that question to them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

He who smelt it, dealt it gigity... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Shield wrote: »
    He who smelt it, dealt it gigity... :pac:

He who said the rhyme , did the crime Shield ;)

Disappointing news but like I have said before this information at least keeps people from wondering '' what if , etc ''.
    If it ends uncertainty that has to be a good thing in my opinion.

Haha I would have a few sugestions to put their way as well! Just flicked onto the ags forum there and seen that the guys in there are facing a two year freeze as well and their panel may also be scraped. Its very grim all over for wanna be cops.

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    He who said the rhyme , did the crime Shield ;)
    Yeah? Well.. ehhmm... he whose name is Delancey uhh... has a name that (kinda) rhymes with pansy.

Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Nightmare, think its safe to say we have missed the boat folks. booooo.
    Bet it was a boardsie who put that question to them!

Well I aint giving up, as long as the upper age limit remains the same I have 25 years to keep trying (though bound to have found something else by then if not the PSNI).

The 3 years UK/ROI residency requirement is a pain for those who in the light of this news decide they might want to head off travelling or work abroad for a while.
    Spend 2012 abroad and return to a 2013 ( being optimistic there ) recruitment campaign only to find yourself ineligible :(

As long as things remain OK for Scotland Id say the best chance is CSP who seems to be regularly replacing the turnover, if I could just get this goddam loan paid off Id be applying!! The PSNI will have turnover and they will need replaced, it might be similar to CSP, 30-50 officers per year, but Ill take those odds over no recruitment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

Well im still holding on to the hope that they will use a few of us that are ready to go before the end of the year.

I was talking to a student officer yesterday and they were saying all the talk is about needing more recruits.

It's easy for them to say there won't be any recruitment in 2011-2012 etc and then to turn around and say there will, than vise versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 titanmcdermott

I sincerely hope there will be recruitment sometime within the not to distant future as wanting to do a course in public services at college in the uk with the end view to try out for police especially PSNI, if not then army is always an option in RMP

I sincerely hope there will be recruitment sometime within the not to distant future as wanting to do a course in public services at college in the uk with the end view to try out for police especially PSNI, if not then army is always an option in RMP

I've been looking at the TA again lately. The RMP is the one area that catches my eye. Although a friend who is in the TA says that the RMP are hated by other member in different areas. :D

If I don't get into the PSNI by the end of the year I will give it some serious thought in the new year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dixie33

When they say there is no campaign 'scheduled' for 2012, are they likely to mean that there is nothing planned at this moment in time, or that there will definately be no campaign in 2012? :(

Sorry if this thought has already been posted havent had time to read through all the comments above.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Buzz35

Freedom of information request on PSNI website:

Question 1
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Will there be any active recruitment for new police officers, within the PSNI in 2012? [/FONT]
    [/FONT]Answer
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]There is no new police recruitment competition scheduled for 2012. [/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.psni.police.uk/psni_recruitment_2012.pdf

Of course that could change at any time! But I thought the FOI response might be of interest.

You would think that with a four year budget having just been put in place, they would know by now if a 2012 campaign was going to happen. A bit worrying for us all keen to have another go. I suppose the other way to look at it, is they are at least keeping their options open by replying with a statement that would have a completely different twist should they have added the word "yet" to the end of their answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

Another FOI request - this time asking about 2013.
    http://www.psni.police.uk/recruitment_2013.pdf

Question
    Will there be any active recruitment for new police officers, within the PSNI in 2013?

Answer
    At present, it has not been determined if there will be any recruitment for police officers in 2013.

Question
    If there is no recruitment in 2013, when will the PSNI be recruiting again?

Answer
    This has not yet been determined.

Question
    How many new officers are they wishing to recruit?

Answer
    This depends on funding and operational need.

Basically, not really saying a definite yes or no - I guess I wouldn't really expect them to as they probably don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Anyone be able to give me a rundown off recruitment process for csp thinking off applying

CSP website says they '' are not considering new applications '' at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

Yeah but was just gonna look into it seeing how it works etc...

I reckon their site should have all that info , as far as I know the process across the water mainly differs from Norn Iron in that the IST and Assessment are done on the same day.
    Scoring of assessments does differ somewhat also - for example Respect for Diversity is measured in all scenarios.
    My advice to people with recruitment-type questions about Scottish forces is to check out the website of the force they are interested in but if the information can't be found there then check out the site for Strathclyde Police - one of the biggest UK forces and a pretty good site to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 M2010

Just so you are aware, the CSP are just after closing their recruitment again recently and are currently going through the first stages of the examinations. So I'd imagine it could be a while before they open up again.

• Advertisement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14233495

The above link makes for grim reading - over 16,000 Police Officer jobs in England and Wales to go plus a similar number of civilian support staff.
    Add to that the recruitment freeze AGS have operated since May 2009 and likely to run another 2 years and the likelihoood of no PSNI recruitment for a couple of years - it really looks gloomy for prospective Police Officers everywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14233495

The above link makes for grim reading - over 16,000 Police Officer jobs in England and Wales to go plus a similar number of civilian support staff.
    Add to that the recruitment freeze AGS have operated since May 2009 and likely to run another 2 years and the likelihoood of no PSNI recruitment for a couple of years - it really looks gloomy for prospective Police Officers everywhere.

Not good, the NI fire service is looking to encourage females to apply, I think I will give it some thought now.

Actually funnily enough I was talking to a PSNI officer who was wanting out to join the NIFRS. He said the police hasn't turned out like he thought it would be, too much politics and not enough making a difference.

Heard from a reliable source today that the operation of IST and AC that has in the past been undertaken by Deloitte has now gone out to tender.
    With any luck this part of the process will remain with Deloitte or a similar group , I've found Deloitte to be thorough and professional and I would dread the PSNI taking over the whole process themselves :eek:.

Most important of all I was told that a recruitment campaigh is pencilled in for early 2013 , posssibly as early as January that year.

Good stuff, at least there is a bit of info out there! Dread to think what they may throw at us next time round!

They do seem to be making an even bigger deal than ever about being under resourced than ever...maybe it's doing the trick & we will hopefully see recruitment pick up again sooner than we've been envisioning.

This bit about the plan to call on officers from the mainland in an emergency is ridiculous. A police force such as the PSNI, facing the on going threat that it does, borrowing bobbies from across the water, who probably know very little about whatever situation they'd be facing is just stupid. Add to that mainland polices forces are also stretched as it is. It's a terrible idea all round IMO.

Just recruit already...they've got all the resources they could ever need right here, raring to go :D

This stuff about officers from England and Wales coming to Norn Iron in an emergency is a strange one alright.
    Patten said that for political reasons alone AGS from the Republic could never help out . By the same token ACPO indicated that they would not be happy sending officers to help the PSNI due to safety concerns and the threat of their unarmed officers facing firearms . This fact led Patten to set PSNI numbers at around 7,500 .

I saw an interview with Matt Baggot a few months ago where he talked about help from other UK forces which does seem at odds with Patten :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

i've also heard from a reliable source that its back to square one merit list ways...
    no nothing about recruitment size or 50:50 type stuff

i've also heard from a reliable source that its back to square one merit list ways...
    no nothing about recruitment size or 50:50 type stuff

Do you mean the current merit list has been chucked in the bin? If so, I hope you're wrong. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭rookie_boarder

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Do you mean the current merit list has been chucked in the bin? If so, I hope you're wrong. :(

it will be - unless "operational procedures dictate"...
    besides - if recruitment does begin in 2013 - the current list will be obsolete...
    i feel you- i was 25 - 30...

• Advertisement

it will be - unless "operational procedures dictate"...
    besides - if recruitment does begin in 2013 - the current list will be obsolete...
    i feel you- i was 25 - 30...

I still have some small piece of hope that they will take another intake or two from the current list before it become obsolete at the end of the year.

I am high up the list also, with vetting & medical completed and passed.

Take it your vetting hadnt cleared yet Rookie?

Gee what is it that makes you think they will take more from our pool have you some information you would like to share dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I think you are living in dreamland if you think there will be anymore intakes prior to another campaign.

As far as the new police college/fire college goes it sounds like it is going to be pretty basic! They have the money to build a shell but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kitchensink

Just read on the BBC website that Boris Johnston said that it isn't a good time to be cutting police budgets. I doubt this would really cause the government to rethink their policy and get some recruitment for the PSNI.

Take it your vetting hadnt cleared yet Rookie?

Gee what is it that makes you think they will take more from our pool have you some information you would like to share dude?

I'm basing my slim hope on a few thinks.

1) we all know they need more officers now, so to think they could wait to October 2013 to have new recruits in training seems hard to believe.

2) they have gone to the cost of completing vetting/ medicals etc for some of us who are next on the merit list.

3) although they have moved a number of staff on in g'ville there are still some left training the 1or2 squads that are in g'ville. So they could stay on a train 1or2 new intakes when the latest intakes pass out very soon.

4) the Dear John letter that they sent us left the door ajar. If there was definitely not going to be any more intakes they would have simply said so.

5) those of us that have been around long enough know there is nothing straight forward about this proccess. And surprise can come when you least expect them.

So if a blow in (:p) wants to say I'm living in a dreamland that's ok. But I'm a glass half full kind of person, and I still look at the positives going for us.

Gee-22 wrote: »
    I'm basing my slim hope on a few thinks.

1) we all know they need more officers now, so to think they could wait to October 2013 to have new recruits in training seems hard to believe.

2) they have gone to the cost of completing vetting/ medicals etc for some of us who are next on the merit list.

3) although they have moved a number of staff on in g'ville there are still some left training the 1or2 squads that are in g'ville. So they could stay on a train 1or2 new intakes when the latest intakes pass out very soon.

4) the Dear John letter that they sent us left the door ajar. If there was definitely not going to be any more intakes they would have simply said so.

5) those of us that have been around long enough know there is nothing straight forward about this proccess. And surprise can come when you least expect them.

So if a blow in (:p) wants to say I'm living in a dreamland that's ok. But I'm a glass half full kind of person, and I still look at the positives going for us.

You do make a few valid points Gee but the latest information I have is that there will be no more intakes and the training staff in Garnerville will be re-deployed to other duties when the current intake has finished.

It would be nice to think there was a chance this situation may change but I have to say that everything points to a lenghty recruitment freeze .
    Though point 5 is so very true.....

• Advertisement

They mentioned the new Training centre at Desertcreat yesterday on the news. Construction is to begin next year.

Today saw the Attestation / Passing Out of the March intake which you will recall was a fairly ' largeish ' group.
    Alas all the talk at the moment apparently is about the fact that todays parade was the last one Garnerville will see and that the next Attestation will be taking place in Desertcreat .
    Training staff are to be redeployed I'm told.
    Everything points to nothing happening on recruitment for a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Everything points to nothing happening on recruitment for a long time :(

Yep, the ":(" pretty much sums it up perfectly, personally taking a guess, I imagine around 2015 is when the ball will start rolling again (all limbs and extremities crossed) hopefully DesertCreat will be pumping fresh police, firefighters and prison officers off the production lines no later than that !

Speaking of DesertCreat, some of ye fellow hopefuls mightn't have seen the plans for it yet !

Linky, click on the white arrows on the edge of the pic for more depictions
    Found an aerial layout during the week, cant find it now though :pac:

Few More

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

Surely with officers leaving with the threat of dissidents and some natural wastage, there will have to be some level of recruitment in 2012/2013?

There is an abundance of willing and skilled individuals waiting, so I see no reason why the "doomsday" scernario would have to involve the requisition of other forces from within the UK. Obviously political reasons would rule out assistance from AGS, but the other political irony I've found in the South is a number of young supporters of Sinn Fein who would sign up to serve in the PSNI in either reserve of full time capacity!

It's amazing what time can do.

The things is that natural wastage ( mainly retirement ) rates are and will be low for some years to come. Between heavy recruitment the last 10 years and heavy retirement on Patten packages the age profile is quite low.

• Advertisement

Im not sure if there are many or indeed any officers leaving due to dissidents. It actually appears that they are more determined to stay going by previous conversations etc on here. The thing that may make people want to leave is any pay freezes loss of double time or pension issues, as at the minute I'm led to believe its quite generous. Although since theres bugger all jobs out there I would think people would just suck it up!

I sometimes wonder if anybody ever thought about what would happen concerning future recruitment into the police for those people turning 18 now who would love to be in the job as I'm sure they were aware that future recruitment would be very limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Surely with officers leaving with the threat of dissidents and some natural wastage, there will have to be some level of recruitment in 2012/2013?

There is an abundance of willing and skilled individuals waiting, so I see no reason why the "doomsday" scernario would have to involve the requisition of other forces from within the UK. Obviously political reasons would rule out assistance from AGS, but the other political irony I've found in the South is a number of young supporters of Sinn Fein who would sign up to serve in the PSNI in either reserve of full time capacity!

It's amazing what time can do.

I don't think many will leave over "dissidents". They had to be aware when signing up. Also I think dissidents are winding down big time. Call me cynical but there were a lot more attacks when MI5 budgets were being decided. Compared to 2010 there's been nowhere near the intensity of attacks in the last year

Also I read some republican websites. There's a certain amount of people who see nothing morally wrong with attacks on soldiers or psni officers; however the vast majority of them are condemning dissident actions as pointless and counter productive. And they themselves are only a minority in the greater nationalist community. There's really f*ck all support for actions of dissident groups.

I think it is sinking in that militant attacks are never going to bring about a 32 county sovereign Ireland. They don't want the humiliation of ceasefires or officially ending their so called campaigns but I'd bet money their will be no security force casulties in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

I'd bet money their will be no security force casulties in 2012

I certainly hope so, it's gone beyond all reason since the murder of Constables Stephen Carroll and Ronan Kerr. Absolutely pointless deaths which have not furthered the dissident's political objectives in any way, in fact the opposite is quite true, with the continued fragmenting of their organisations and few supporters.

Interesting about the timing in relation to Mi5 budgets, it's an angle I hadn't previously considered. But the attacks would suit the agenda of informers who stand to benefit financially from chaos. Perhaps it's a self-fulfilling cycle, but I suppose that's a topic for another thread.

Not to distract from the topic or frighten anyone with an interest in joining the PSNI, carry on and keep up the great work lads and ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fefe5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 quickcatch

I have it on good authority from an extremely well connected source that there will be no psni recruitment for the next 3 years.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I hope its wrong but it does seem to time in with the new college plans.

quickcatch wrote: »
    I have it on good authority from an extremely well connected source that there will be no psni recruitment for the next 3 years.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news! I hope its wrong but it does seem to time in with the new college plans.

I'd well believe that though I must add that I'll believe the new college when I see it :rolleyes: - I am not convinced it will happen in the timeframe suggested.

Well quick catch that is depressing news, but im not surprised! Would be nice if you were proved wrong however!!! :-)

Yeh not for another few years me thinks ! Going to finish the college degree, head over to the girlfriend in Germany for a while and see how it goes !
    The somewhat eccentric plan in my head is to become fluent in written and spoken german, then possibly join the polizei ! :pac: :rolleyes:

Yeh not for another few years me thinks ! Going to finish the college degree, head over to the girlfriend in Germany for a while and see how it goes !
    The somewhat eccentric plan in my head is to become fluent in written and spoken german, then possibly join the polizei ! :pac: :rolleyes:

Do be aware of the residency requirement , to apply to join the PSNI you must have been resident in the UK / ROI for 3 years immediately prior to applying so living in Germany could adversely impact on you.
    Won't harm you if apply to join the Polizei obviously.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Do be aware of the residency requirement , to apply to join the PSNI you must have been resident in the UK / ROI for 3 years immediately prior to applying so living in Germany could adversely impact on you.
    Won't harm you if apply to join the Polizei obviously.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thanks, I'll give it a go anyway and see how i get on ! I mightn't even like the place :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement