Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machine Head - Locust

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Can I just ask, anyone who is obviously disappointed with this track, what do you expect? What is it you are honestly looking for? I'm not trying to be critical I am genuinely interested to know what you expect when you hear that Machine Head have released a song from their forthcoming album?

Is it that you expect a track that's heavy and crushing from start to finish or do you make allowances for the odd mellow moment in tracks, except that this song is just too long/too mellow or too unusual?

I'd be genuinely interested to find out exactly why people don't like this song as a matter of intrigue...:cool:
    It is too long, but it's not the length as such that is the problem, it's more that the song goes nowhere... meanders around pointlessly for the first half, and even when it starts to come together there's a badly-placed pause that ruins the momentum.

(I'm not a huge MH fan so I'm not particularly disappointed. They have one great album (BME), 3 good ones (TMTC, TTAoE, TB) and a couple of duds).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Can I just ask, anyone who is obviously disappointed with this track, what do you expect? What is it you are honestly looking for? I'm not trying to be critical I am genuinely interested to know what you expect when you hear that Machine Head have released a song from their forthcoming album?

Is it that you expect a track that's heavy and crushing from start to finish or do you make allowances for the odd mellow moment in tracks, except that this song is just too long/too mellow or too unusual?

I'd be genuinely interested to find out exactly why people don't like this song as a matter of intrigue...:cool:

Doesn't matter how intense the song is or not, when I listen to any song I would expect it to hold my interest all the way through...AKA well-written songs. This song meanders off course at times and almost sounds forced or cut-and-pasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I agree that the song is drawn out. I was dissapointed with the drums, it was as if they were recorded in one take. Overall I just think it sounds unfinished!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Love the song, It's a grower and took a few listens to fully appreciate it

Machine Head are touring with DevilDriver and of course are not coming to Ireland

It does not please me smbLf.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I hope they don't tour this album. It's f*cking terrible. Not even by comparing it to their better earlier stuff, but to genre of metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

chin_grin wrote: »
    I hope they don't tour this album. It's f*cking terrible. Not even by comparing it to their better earlier stuff, but to genre of metal.

I won't even justify that with a response. I don't agree with everything that Machine Head do and record but this album, from all reports, is an expansion and looking at different ways of performing and not just returning to the same **** time and time again. I support Machine Head, and believe they should tour this album, and think it will be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I won't even justify that with a response. I don't agree with everything that Machine Head do and record but this album, from all reports, is an expansion and looking at different ways of performing and not just returning to the same **** time and time again. I support Machine Head, and believe they should tour this album, and think it will be excellent.

But you just did! :pac:

Nah, they've been on a downward spiral and what was once a raw, energetic cathartic f*ck you to everything sound has been replaced with pretentious guitar w@nk with "cute" layered vocal harmonies and songs that go on for eight minutes for no apparent reason other to fill the silence.

Note that this is in my opinion and I obviously cannot speak for the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Surprised to say the least with that Chin haha

Listened to the album a good 10 times now.... Can't seem to stop :pac:
    Absolutely love it,Beats everything they have ever put out before.Not a bad song on it and by far and away the best album this year

Now for Mastodon :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I'm on my first listen and not really liking it so far. Hopefully it gets better with repeated listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

The best thing about Machine Head these days is Robb Flynn stopped getting wheeled out by Kerrang every time they 'did' hip-hop.

Having not touched Kerrang in about 7 years one can only hope, but then it is our right to hope, perchance even to dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

viadah wrote: »
    Having not touched Kerrang in about 7 years one can only hope, but then it is our right to hope, perchance even to dream.
    You can hope for or dream about what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

That they're leaving poor Robb Flynn alone these days - his hip-hop punditry coincided with the fall of Machine Head that culminated with the awful 'Supercharger'. Did anyone else get that album and think 'this is going to kick in any second now' only to stare in disgust at the CD player as it rolled on to the next track?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

This has been such a sh1t year for metal. this album is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

This has been such a sh1t year for metal. this album is terrible.

The album may or may not be terrible but...sh1t year for metal? you must be joking!

This list (compiled at the start of June) is similar to my thinking mostly!

http://stereogum.com/742971/haunting-the-chapels-top-26-metal-albums-of-2011-so-far/franchises/haunting-the-chapel/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just gave this a listen today. Not up there with their best by any means but still a pretty good album imo. Biggest criticism is that some songs are way too long. Sounds like they caught St. Angeritis on return to the Bay area and needlessly extended songs with a lot of repetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

At the risk of repeating myself, please report spam when you come across it. Don't make smart-arsed replies which are going to be out of place when the spam posts get deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

My reasoning behind calling it a **** year for metal is that so many well respected bands released rubbish this year. Machine Head, Opeth, Devildriver(not really well respected but still) , Morbid Angel, Metallica one doesn't look promising. To name but a few.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Got my album download yesterday. It's taking a bit if getting used to. It's good but somehow not as good as the blackening but maybe it needs a few listens.

kbannon wrote: »
    Got my album download yesterday. It's taking a bit if getting used to. It's good but somehow not as good as the blackening but maybe it needs a few listens.

I think so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Machine head in metal by numbers shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Just listening to it now... nothing really new tbh but a solid metal record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's a bit of a grower i have to say. Listened to it a few times now and really getting into it. Not a classic imo but a pretty strong album all the same.

This is the end is the standout track for me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Finally got my updated download (the promo one balled up track 2 (Be Still And Know)).

Darkness Within is taking a lot of abuse, for me, it's my favourite song :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Giving this a first run through at the moment. The second track on the album "Be Still And Know" is playing at the moment.

When it got to the solo, it kind of sounded like an extension of the solo from "Now I Lay Thee Down" from The Blackening album.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gave the album a full run through... I think because I held The Blackening in such high regard that I was expecting them to somehow better it and was left feeling a little disappointed with it.

The first few songs aren't too bad but seems to fall away a bit after that.

I think it may take a few listens for it to grow on me I think.

Thought the track 'Darkness Within' was pure muck if I'm honest.

Advertisement