Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarot cards - to use or not to use?

• 14-06-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I have been informed recently that you should never do a reading on yourself using Tarot cards? Does anyone here know or have heard of anything similar to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

In general it is said one cannot read own-self properly for the reading he can get struck with personal notions about own-self one carries with him. It's like a doctor can't treat himself. So it's better to get your reading from someone else to have impartial/true read... Hope you got my point. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its possible to do it and theres nothing wrong or risky in having a go. But as merym says, its hard to be objective, you tend to see what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Interesting, i was more told as a warning and not as in you cannot get a true reading on yourself...
    I was told it can open up doors for the powerful and evil and you are an easy target when reading them on your own. Can they open up portals?

No. They are an interpretive tool. And as harmful as a normal deck of playing cards.

Oryx wrote: »
    No. They are an interpretive tool. And as harmful as a normal deck of playing cards.

Thanks for that Oryx. Thats what i thought myself.
    I find the Tarot much better than Angel cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭yammycat

What happens if you do multiple readings of one person, say 10 or more in a row, will the same cards come up all the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

I agree with it. I believe the person guiding you(Ticktactoe) is having some person interests or misguided himself or having negative character to say- it can open up doors for the powerful and evil. It's like casting spell of sorts thing. On the contrary it is just deck of cards with no such power at all. I guess while doing such things one needs to keep his imagination in control by guiding it with logical reasoning etc.
    What happens if you do multiple readings of one person, say 10 or more in a row, will the same cards come up all the time?

If the cards are really magical one it should come up with same answer. :DPretty cool question for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    I have been informed recently that you should never do a reading on yourself using Tarot cards? Does anyone here know or have heard of anything similar to this?

This is a common misconception of the Tarot (God, I sound like a Yahoo answer :S). I was told this when I started too, but never paid any heed to it. Almost a decade later, I'm still in one piece, and the cards have never lied to me or anyone, if sometimes they're a bit cryptic. You just have to treat yourself as another person, and remain objective and unbiased. It's a personal challenge, nothing more.
    yammycat wrote: »
    What happens if you do multiple readings of one person, say 10 or more in a row, will the same cards come up all the time?
    The exact same cards? Highly unlikely. The same or a similar meaning? If you're doing it right, yes.
    I find the Tarot much better than Angel cards.
    I'm afraid I'm a divination snob, as much as you can be. It's probably more that I have a problem with the people who got famous off Angel cards than the cards themselves though... Some of them are just plain fail.

Urizen wrote: »
    This is a common misconception of the Tarot (God, I sound like a Yahoo answer :S). I was told this when I started too, but never paid any heed to it. Almost a decade later, I'm still in one piece, and the cards have never lied to me or anyone, if sometimes they're a bit cryptic. You just have to treat yourself as another person, and remain objective and unbiased. It's a personal challenge, nothing more.

I have used the Tarot cards on myself before and like you I am still in one piece however I was put off lately when i was told by an experience reader not to use them for the reason stated above.
    I find the Tarot cards much more informative and descriptive than the Angel cards. I didn't want to give up using them on myself!

I tend to read tarot as dealing with the facts of your life and angel cards are more about emotional influences. But thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Colette Baron Reid's Oracle cards are well worth having a look at OP.

I tend to read tarot as dealing with the facts of your life and angel cards are more about emotional influences. But thats just me.

Nice way to think of it, actually.
    Colette Baron Reid's Oracle cards are well worth having a look at OP.

I got interested in Oracle cards a couple of months ago, but instead of using someone else's deck I designed my own. I haven't gotten to use them yet though, as I have no access to A- A printer that does cards for a half decent price or B- Artistic talent to actually bring the designs from my head to the cards.

Thats exactly how i see them when i use them in readings.
    The angel cards are more emotional where the Tarot cards deals with facts and hard truths. They may work differently for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

I mostly read with Psy Cards and find them easier to do self-readings with, but I usually use them for what I think of as "two path" type of questions. Laying out cards for doing something one way, then doing something the other (like should I take this class or that class). This isn't full proof, but it works a lot better for these sorts of questions where you have one of two answers and you look at cards for both.

Psycards are also very useful for general readings, as long as you remember that you are much more likely to see what you want to see (or literally read into the cards) than an impartial reader.

Still, they can help out in a pinch and it is always best to get two independent readings on something very serious, double that if one of the readings is done by yourself.

Melodi

Melodi wrote: »
    I mostly read with Psy Cards and find them easier to do self-readings with, but I usually use them for what I think of as "two path" type of questions. Laying out cards for doing something one way, then doing something the other (like should I take this class or that class). This isn't full proof, but it works a lot better for these sorts of questions where you have one of two answers and you look at cards for both.

Psycards are also very useful for general readings, as long as you remember that you are much more likely to see what you want to see (or literally read into the cards) than an impartial reader.

Still, they can help out in a pinch and it is always best to get two independent readings on something very serious, double that if one of the readings is done by yourself.

Melodi

I remember you showing me your Psy cards at the Dublin Paracon. They were very interesting, and partially what influenced me to look into Oracle cards and the like. It's actually a shame that so few people know about variations on cartomancy, other than Tarot and Angel cards.

I'm so glad you remembered the cards and that it inspired you to look at other alternative cards. I find the psycards to be really good for "intuitive" types of readers such as myself, of course all readers are Intuitive to one degree or another; but some find it easier to use systems like astrology or the Tarot, that are more complex. I find it easier to use the cards (or runes) as a jumping off point and get impressions from them, its also why I find alternative decks or major arcana decks (like my Cat Tarot) a bit easier.

There is no right or wrong on this one, people should use which ever type of divination system fits their personality and gifts the best. Some of the best readings I have ever had, have been with people who use the more complicated systems; but then I've also had excellent readings from people who use no obvious system at all, just shutting their eyes and "getting impressions."

The other thing I really like about psycards is that they have some basic major arcana cards (like The Sun) but also have modern cards like "Work" with gears, wheels and the like. These symbols and words are readily understandable to the client, unlike the 15th century symbols on the older, standard tarot deck. When I reading for someone "live" as opposed to on the phone or web; the client will often get impressions from the cards direction and a symbol may be very power for them and they "get" it; even if I don't pick it up.

For example, someone who thinks of their Mother in Law as the "Dragon Lady" may get a totally different read on the Beast Card (or a stronger message) because it has a fire breathing dragon on it. However, someone from Asia, might view it as both dangerous but possible good luck; even though the card is one of the only ones in the deck that is almost always negative.

You can read more about psycards at http://www.psycards.com, that's the official site and you can see pictures of all the cards and learn about them. Oracle cards are also excellent (though I don't have a deck myself) and my husband has a deck of "Rune Cards" that are also very interesting to work with.

This is a really good thread, I'm glad I found the forum!
    Melodi

Thanks for your post Melodi.
    The only two types of cards I know of are the Tarot and Angel (Oracle) cards. I am definitely going to look into the psycards and Rune cards.

Another question is when doing readings for people, is it more difficult to do a reading for someone who is already spiritually connected i.e someone who does readings themselves? I ask this because I was told at a recent reading on myself that it was difficult to read me due to the fact that i have this connection. Fact or fiction?

The only two types of cards I know of are the Tarot and Angel (Oracle) cards. I am definitely going to look into the psycards and Rune cards.

Another question is when doing readings for people, is it more difficult to do a reading for someone who is already spiritually connected i.e someone who does readings themselves? I ask this because I was told at a recent reading on myself that it was difficult to read me due to the fact that i have this connection. Fact or fiction?

I think your question may depend on the particular reader, I have often found it easier to read for spiritually aware people; but it also depends a lot on the person and what it is they do. I learned to read by trading readings with other readers, so that may also be part of it; not to mention that psy cards tend to "pull" even the most mundane person into their pictures. The really aware person may even get personal flashes that the Reader themselves misses (and I suspect that is true of some other modern decks and reading systems as well.

What can be a real problem, and I have experienced this, is reading for close friends. It can be done and I do it quite often; but it can be difficult to read about very personal things or something you feel very strongly about. Relationship readings can be the worst minefields, if you have any personal opinion at all on the situation.

I will read for close friends facing a divorce or ugly break up, but I always try to be very careful in what I say. I also encourage them to get another reading from someone with no connections to the situation, especially if something surprising or really negative comes up.

One of the biggest challenges as a reader is knowing when you are too close to a situation to be objective or even if you are being mostly objective; the temptation is still for your inner-mind to "show" you want you want to see.

Other times, the cards may be perfectly clear as when I read for a close friend years ago who was trying to make a decision on which country to live it. She got exactly the same cards (in slightly different positions) each time, for each place. The obvious answer was that she had certain life issues to deal with and they would be with her, whichever place she chose to go. And, years later, that turned out to be very true though she is happy with her long term choice.

But much of the time, the answers are not so clearly obvious so again; the advice (in my opinion) should not be "never read for a fellow Reader," or "never read for a close friend in trouble" or "never read for yourself," but just be careful when you do. And pay attention to that inner voice if it tells you to stop now and let someone else do it, sometimes the universe just doesn't want you to be the messenger.

Hope that helps...

Melodi

Bear in mind, Oracle cards are much more varied than just Angel cards. I'd also strongly recommend, once you've done a bit of study etc, to try designing your own deck. My 21 card deck (albeit in a very basic form right now) is perfect as I fully understand every card, while (even after the better part of a decade) there are still a couple of Tarot cards that can throw me off sometimes with contradictory interpretations.
    And pay attention to that inner voice if it tells you to stop now and let someone else do it, sometimes the universe just doesn't want you to be the messenger.

I'd also really agree with this. I've had situations in the past where difficult personal questions ended up in complete rhetoric, basically telling me to back the frak off. If reading intuitively, you really have to utilise your subconscious as much as possible, and make damn sure you listen to it.

But, as Melodi said, the answer to your original question is pretty clear. Read for who you want, when you want, how you want. Just use your own judgement as to when you shouldn't.

What can be a real problem, and I have experienced this, is reading for close friends. It can be done and I do it quite often; but it can be difficult to read about very personal things or something you feel very strongly about.

I agree with this 100%. I did a reading for a very close friend. She was very happy with it but i had to delve into very personal issues. Where i wasn't happy going there I still did so as I was been guided to do so.

It is oracle (Doreen Virtue) and tarot cards that i use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

*bump*

i have been reading the tarot for about 6 or 7yrs now, normally i just read friends family and complete strangers who are curious to try. i have had people go from completely skeptic to calling me up in the middle of the night needing a reading because they are going for an interview in the morning and can't sleep with worry. i look at the tarot as a personal development tool that can increase psychic awareness and development but is still very much safe regardless of who you actually read for. there is only one incident that made me put the cards away because i tapped into something i didn't like and even though it was a message i didn't like it. about a year ago i was visiting some friends who lived near one of the canals in dublin, the usual overpriced apartment building type thing you get around those areas where the view of the canal is part of the price. so i was reading for different people and then i was asked to read a person who wasn't there (i'm used to doing that) the person was someones boyfriend but everything i was shown was extremely negative and i didn't like it at all, everything pointed towards someone who was extremely unhappy with life - it seriously hinted towards suicide so i said "this can't be right ..he wants to kill himself?. it all came to a head when i turned over the final card (the outcome) it was the two of swords - see below -

sw02.jpg

right after the card was turned over one of the girls outside on the balcony screamed and shouted "he went in!", it turned out someone jumped into the water and tried to drown themselves as i was doing the reading but the really spooky thing was when he went in his arms were around his body the same way as in the 2 of swords card. a taxi driver saw him go in and jumped in after him but once i turned over the card it felt like someone dunked my head into water and i couldn't breath.

I'll say that the tarot is safe and even self reading is safe but i think at that time i picked up on too much negativity from that person and everything they felt when going in went through my own mind literally knocking me over. i don't blame the tarot as i'm very sensitive to those around me but i do think that somehow my subconscious used the cards to alert me to what was happening. if anyone is thinking of starting i'd say begin with oracle or angel cards and then slowly induct yourself into the major arcana then the minor arcana, as for card spreads go for something like the celtic cross spread first and you will get a grasp of them quicker. as for decks the original rider waite deck is a great all rounder and you will find no shortage of tips and pointers online. but to the Ops question, reading yourself is not dangerous and many tarot readers do it quite regularly - the trick is to learn to trust your own intuition and the rest will follow = )

oh and before i forget if you do get into the cards be prepared to start a fairly expensive hobby, i love art so i have purchased so many decks over the years from vampires to celtic and even lovecraft decks. i don't actually read with decks like the necronomicon unless someone really expresses interest in it, its not the negative cary imagery as i said i love the artwork i'm just used to the rider waite and feel like i'm cheating on it when i use other decks ..weird i know but then i'm in the right place for weird = )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Its a deck of cards,harmless. Like a crystal ball or a ouija board or a magic wand, just a bit of fun if you are into that kind of thing. I have a friend who loves to read tarot...and has had some startling results,nothin bad or nasty has happened to her since she started some yrs ago and I know she reads for herself too,its all a bit of fun, just treat it that way.

@youtube - the ouija board is far from harmless and completely different than tarot and the crystal ball. tarot is a form of divination as is crystal ball scrying, the first two give you a glimpse into the future/past and present while the ouija board uses your human faculties to put you in direct contact with the spirit world. i've been into spirit communication for years but i avoid the ouija board like the plague, i'd never tell someone it was no different than a deck of tarot cards or a crystal ball. i know people on here are very divided on the subject of ouija (i went back about 50 pages reading old posts and checking out haunting claims and the like) but i'd never in a million years put it in the same category as tools for divination - i have seen the effects from the board with my own eyes and know how dangerous it actually is.

I look at it like this, yes its only a board with some letters numbers and one or two phrases but by doing it you are connecting with something not of this world and something humans just don't understand. the board to me signifies laziness because there are other more safer but drawn out methods to establish communication but looking at it like a game automatically invites pranksters and fraudsters on both side. i'm not saying burn every board in sight, some people train on them and get great results but treat it the same as a loaded gun and with the same care and respect. the majority of people go to it expecting fun or a laugh then at the end of the session they are far from laughing. its entirely possible to contact safe spirits and loved ones but they are harder to reach because they are on higher developed level on consciousness than our own and often things are so good that why should they bother to try and come back? to them time revolves differently and even if you miss them you will eventually see them again so they are in no hurry to contact you. the chances are you will contact the entities and energies closer to our own world and they are closer because they are much less evolved and either exist to cause harm or have been harmed themselves and are trapped between worlds - they lie and trick people. often its entities that don't know any better and they exist only to torment anyone unlucky enough to cross their path.

People claim the ouija can lead to possession ..i'm of two minds about that, often it can help break down the barriers around a person making it possible for a possession to occur but its much rarer than people think and its not always demons, there are cases of incarnate souls possessing the living too simply because they wanted a place to go. i always find it interesting when i hear from people that they don't believe the board works yet they still won't go near it or have one in the house. i'd love to say it doesn't work and its all just coincidence and tricks of the mind but i have seen and heard too much to say otherwise. i have a love hate relationship with skeptics, i like when they are educated enough to pick holes in certain subjects but when they just say something is b.s and have nothing else to say then i just stop listening.

I've seen complete skeptics try the board or similar spirit boards and come away not just believing but terrified beyond belief. the feelings and energies they brought to the session was reflected in what came through, they were ready to laugh their way through it and not take it seriously so they inadvertently invited in something that really wanted to play with them. skepticism is healthy and paramount to actually getting to the bottom of things but no one has explained how a board can give the exact date of a death or birth or deliver information that no one in the room could ever know. then there are the physical attributes where during seances i have attended furniture has cracked/glass broke/lights flickered and more. its easy to say its all coincidence but at the same time its dangerous to rule it off as just that, even if its down to the subconscious it can seriously mess with your mind and your perceptions of people and reality. its simply not worth risking your sanity or those around you. i saw a post about 15 pages back where someone asked about the ouija affecting a particular property or room it was operated in, my own experiences are that it can because you are not just opening a gateway through the board you are doing it in that area of space so more times than less the property can stay that way for a very long time. again i'd love to discount it as a game and tomfoolery but i've seen too much come from that little piece of wood or paper and glass. i only had that one bad experience with the tarot and have never gotten anywhere with crystal scrying but i'd not group them in with ouija as they are worlds apart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Well that's me told ! I think I am mixing up spirit contact thru a seance with ouija boards perhaps, I confess I know next to nothing about the subject but find it fascinating all the same and I am very much on the fence as to what I do and don't believe in, one very interesting point you made was that spirits of our loved ones may be on a higher realm of evolution and so won't necessarily come thru to us as their time is different, that just makes sense to me. My wife has been to mediums and has been told ridiculously accurate information whilst her friends went in right after and were told nothing of relevance. She has been told that she is very much in touch with her spiritual side and has had some relatives come thru, but often not ones she expects? That to me would tie in with what you say about spirits on higher levels somewhat . As I say I am on the fence but my wife's experiences that she told me ( and she simply doesn't lie ) have made me more curious lately. I was actually gonna get one of these boards but don't think I will bother now !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭storker

i always find it interesting when i hear from people that they don't believe the board works yet they still won't go near it or have one in the house.

I'm one of those. I think the additude was best summed by Stephen King, when he wrote "I know there's no monster under my bed, but I also know that if I keep my feet under the covers it will never be able to grab my ankle."

I used to own a set of Tarot cards (Rider Waite) about 20 years ago. I never really got into using them, but I did love looking at them, and I've never seen a style I like as much. I like how each seems to be more than just a picture, and suggests a story.

I threw them away during a bad time when I was afraid they might be bringing me bad luck.

Stork

@youtube -yep i have pretty much always looked at it like that and a number of seances and reading always brought about the same theory of spiritual levels. its come up a lot when studying and researching demons too and i actually have a lot to share about demons/what they are/where they are and how they interact and attempt to influence our own world, it will be kind of long and drawn out but i was working on a photoshoot today so i'm too drained to go into it, i saw someone ask about them recently and get very little response so i'll probably drop it in there along with some quotes on the subject from different books that tackle the subject. a number of mediums have mentioned the different levels of development to me over the years and i wasn't paying them so they had nothing to prove just information to exchange. you can definitely like i said get through to the higher level but they have to be willing to respond and often if they had a sudden death and wanted to say a last good bye or had a message then they will work on their end to come through but if not they are just too content with where they are to make contact - that's not to say they don't watch over you like spirit guides they do it’s just a more subtle type of involvement. for some people it happens in their dreams, for others they actually see the person in their room but there is a small percentage who do make their presence known during a seance or medium session. for myself i visited a specific medium far outside of dublin who had no idea who i was, i was curious about a loved one who passed but didn't tell her a thing i just said hello and they explained what they could and couldn't do - she said she felt choking and smelled gun powder and that was that she hit the nail on the head straight away. because that person decided to pass over on their own terms and it wasn't natural they were easier to contact because they still hadn't reached a higher level, the odd thing i found was she said they were standing with a dog and they gave a perfect description of the dog that person had at that time. i'm not saying if you kill yourself you will go to hell that's a stupid christian misconception to put the fear of god into you but to me hell is what you make for yourself through your actions either here or beyond.

I think regardless of the tool you use to make contact, board or otherwise you have to go into it with a clear head and a very open mind but also have some healthy scepticism so you don’t get taken for a ride by charlatans and fraudsters who are always more than willing to take your money. i have friends who went from the board to things like spiritualist churches, i follow certain aspects of spiritualism but also know it can and most of the time does open many people’s clairvoyant powers too quickly before they can understand how to use it. people usually enter into it with a clear mind but don't realize that it can open you up to a lot of experiences with spirits and once its open you have to work to control it, it can take months or even years it all depends on the persons willingness to learn. tarot doesn't invite that kind of interaction nor are the cards bad luck, the images can just be overbearing for a lot of people because its easy to misunderstand them especially decks as old as the rider waite. its like the pentacle, religion says its evil but its only a sign of evil when its tilted so that the life force is draining from it, but even satanism doesn't really worship true evil it just enforces the belief that people are their own gods and super beings, some like to believe worshipping the devil as an actual entity will enrich their lives but the majority know better. But back to the different levels, the following diagram comes to mind when talking about the different astral plains and stages of spiritual consciousness. there are a few different ones around in books/etc but they are all quite similar and give the same idea

h_07_meek_magic_24_pic.jpg

For a long time (about 2yrs) i looked deeply into what is actually "out there" after this world, i tried mediums/seances and other forms of communication, oddly enough and more than once i was told by different entities that there are 2 universes with 11 parallel dimensions, the warning to stay away from the second universe came up more than once (demon dwell there from what i gather) i thought there must be something to it so i had a look at what science had to say about it and then i saw that string theory suggests the number 11 so there could be something to it all. i definitely believe in the various levels and plains but it can be a lot to take in. some people believe those dimensions exist right alongside our own but on a higher vibration than our own so we can't see or interact with them (mediums can tap into those vibrations making communication possible), one theory on haunted sites are that people are glimpsing other dimensions that coexist with our own which i have to say in a lot of ways makes a lot of sense. I’m not going to pretend i know all the answers because no one does i’m just going on information that keeps coming up again and again so there has to be something to it all, if i just read one book and watched a few tv shows i’d not say a peep but -> it’s a lot more than a passing hobby and i still have to add another 100 or more to the list but its ongoing almost every day because there is just so many books out there and i want to read them all :)

Oh i think people get the wrong idea about tarot because they don't understand a lot of the imagery especially the major arcana, i've had people freak out when the devil card or death came up. their reaction was "oh no!" but they didn't understand that the death card is not about literal death its about the death of a circumstance or situation so a new healthier one can be born and the devil is really just an archetype for consensual bondage. the two people on the devil card can choose to leave his side they just don't want to because even though they know its wrong they are too comfortable. it comes up a lot when i'm reading for people who have a hard time with alcohol or drugs, one guy i was reading in cork who i didn’t know had a very negative reading ..he seemed really happy and i asked him if he really was and had considered suicide much, he said he had many times and one of the main reasons he wanted the reading was to see if the cards would tell him to do it – i of course told him not to. that said i can understand how someone could misinterpret the actual meanings, i started reading the cards when i was about 14yrs old and it definitely took a long time until i could a grasp all of the underlying meanings of each card. i personally don't agree with sitting in a room and charging people money to read their cards, it just doesn't feel right, and fair enough everyone needs to make a buck but i don't know it just feels a little exploitative when you charge ridiculous money to try and give someone a little insight into their own lives. they can be a collector’s item for a lot of people too, i know a guy in the states who doesn’t read them but has a collection of about 5000 decks, his collection is worth a fortune and some of the artwork is amazing. the same with the ouija or talking boards, there are people who collect those too, i know a guy in the uk who has all the old boards, gothic and celtic designed boards and even a buffy the vampire slayer board, in the states its sold as a toy so there is no shortage of designs and prices but here as someone mentioned you can’t find one in a shop and if you do it won’t sport the ouija title. there is actually a guy on one of the irish advert sites selling one at the moment for 50 euros but i’m pretty sure he bought it on a trip to the states. it’s selling the board as a game that really opens it up to scepticism and the assumption that its only harmless fun, tarot was rare enough in Ireland too but started to show up a lot more when new age shops started popping up around the country when the celtic tiger was going strong. I wouldn’t say there is anything to be afraid of in the cards its really only your own psychic intuition building towards an outcome but like any aspects or tools of the paranormal if you are unsure or apprehensive then take a step back and approach it some other time when you are more comfortable with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

This lady does an amazing job. 😊 www.annemariesotherworld.com

Advertisement