Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if you do the OL paper for the Junior Cert... URGENT!

Options
  • 13-06-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hey there, really need a reply for this question soon.

If during the junior cert you sit the ordinary level paper, in 5th year can you do higher level for the leaving cert? or do you have to stick with ordinary level because you done that in the Junior Cert?

I've my Junior Cert tomorrow, and I'm thinking about doing the ordinary level paper because i'm not prepared, but my parents are worried that if I do the ordinary paper now, I won't be able to do Higher Level business for the Leaving Cert.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC don't care what level you did for JC or indeed whether you did a JC at all.
    Your school however, may have a requirement (a not unreasonable one I might add) that to do HL at LC you should have done it at JC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Ghostx

spurious wrote: »
    The SEC don't care what level you did for JC or indeed whether you did a JC at all.
    Your school however, may have a requirement (a not unreasonable one I might add) that to do HL at LC you should have done it at JC.

I know that on the day you can take whatever paper you want, but I'm wondering if you're allowed to take the higher level class in 5th year and 6th year.

Thankyou for your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

on the day of my JC maths i decided to drop to pass,and then in 5 yr i did honours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Yes you can change. Though id say do the paper, its quite hard to fail JC business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Yes you can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your school may have a rule that you need to have attempted HL at JC to get into the HL class, so no-one here can tell you whether your taking OL will mean you can or cannot be in the HL class in 5th year.

You can take any exam at any level in the LC, the SEC don't care, but the SEC does not decide who sits in the HL class in your school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Your school may have a rule that you need to have attempted HL at JC to get into the HL class, so no-one here can tell you whether your taking OL will mean you can or cannot be in the HL class in 5th year.

You can take any exam at any level in the LC, the SEC don't care, but the SEC does not decide who sits in the HL class in your school.
    Surely a school can't refuse a student taking a level they want to?

PJelly wrote: »
    Surely a school can't refuse a student taking a level they want to?

Not in the actual exam, as I've said, anyone can take any level they want in the exam, but if you are sitting next April in a class that is HL and all but, say, 5 are working at HL standard and those 5 are struggling to attain the level an OL JC student would reach, whose parents do you think will be calling for the people who can't keep up to be moved?

Someone who has aspirations to do HL at LC should not be doing OL at JC, there's a big enough gap HL JC to HL LC, without making it even bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

Spurious is right.

For example, anyone who got less than a C in JC HL English had to attend the lesser HL English class since the beginning of 5th year in my school.

Note: There were enough students for 2 HL English classes. One had the best English students and the other class had the less advanced. (ie- lesser HL English class.)

However, you are the one who decides what level you wish to sit in the LC examinations.

The JC is often reffered to a pointless experience but can set you up in a strong position for your LC. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I did pass English for 2 years and the JC, moved up to honours English then and I think I've done well in my LC exams?

• Advertisement

I did pass English for 2 years and the JC, moved up to honours English then and I think I've done well in my LC exams?

I hope you have too.
    Can I ask why you didn't take Honours for the Junior?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

I don't think many optional subjects have separate higher & ordinary level 5th & 6th year classes , usually all thrown in together to help timetable fixing. So, really there should be no problem in doing ordinary junior cert & higher leaving cert except the obvious fact that if you didn't work enough to confidently pass junior cert business, would you work for leaving cert business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Can you change levels on the day of the exam at junior cert? We were always told you couldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

I think you can. I came to Ireland 5 years ago not knowing english in the slightest but they let me do Higher English in the JC and surprisingly I got one of the highest results in the class. I thought the teachers were joking when they told me that.
    Anyway my english teacher in 5th and 6th year was very sceptical about me doing Higher in the Leaving even though I passed it in the JC but at the end it was my choice and I chose to do it. I did the exam last week. I hope I did well :)
    If there's a problem just tell your parents to talk to your teacher and I don't see why they wouldn't let you do Honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

You've done all the work. It's not going to make a difference if you do Honours or Pass tomorrow, doing honours won't make you know any more about business.

I'm doing HL LC Business and I didn't even do it for Junior Cert, it's a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whistlin_boy

HxGH wrote: »
    Spurious is right.

For example, anyone who got less than a C in JC HL English had to attend the lesser HL English class since the beginning of 5th year in my school.

Note: There were enough students for 2 HL English classes. One had the best English students and the other class had the less advanced. (ie- lesser HL English class.)

However, you are the one who decides what level you wish to sit in the LC examinations.

The JC is often reffered to a pointless experience but can set you up in a strong position for your LC. Good luck.

My school is the same as that expect for you have to have got a B to be in the top HL class and you have had to get a C to do HL at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

I don't think you CAN drop down during a Junior Cert exam.

We weren't allowed back in '08, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

My son insists on doing lower level Irish for Junior cert, which I think is a shame. Anyway, my question is......Will he be able to sit an honors paper in Irish in the Leaving Cert if he does lower level for the Junior Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Aineoil wrote: »
    My son insists on doing lower level Irish for Junior cert, which I think is a shame. Anyway, my question is......Will he be able to sit an honors paper in Irish in the Leaving Cert if he does lower level for the Junior Cert?

If he does take the lower paper there is very little chance that he could scrape his way back to higher level , there is a big gap , i don't really see why anyone would drop for the junior cert i mean maybe if he wanted to put results on a cv for a summer job but otherwise even if you fail a subject /get a low grade it doesn't count for anything in jc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 SmidgeBall

My friend did ordinary maths for the JC and is doing higher in june so no it doesn't matter. It's the JC though, just do higher level, doesn't matter if you fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Technically he can but if he is refusing to sit higher level for Junior Cert what makes you think you will be able to persuade him to do higher level for Leaving Cert? It's not up to the SEC to put him in a higher level/ordinary level class, that is up to his school.

There is a massive difference in the standard required for higher and ordinary level Irish at Leaving Cert, not to mind material which is on the higher course and not on the ordinary.

His school may also have a policy of not letting him into the higher level class for fifth year. If he can't show now that he is capable of doing higher level for junior cert why would they put him in the higher level class for leaving cert when he hasn't shown that he is capable of achieving at that level.

Many schools divide students for English, Irish and Maths based on Junior Cert results.

If there is one higher level class and say two ordinary level classes in fifth year in his school and 30 places in each class, and 30 students get grade A-C in higher level Irish in Junior Cert they are going to be the ones put into the higher level class, not your son. The next ones that would be given places would be the D grade higher level students if there are spaces in the class and they are interested in keeping on higher level.

Ordinary level students typically would not be put into the higher level class. It just doesn't make sense if they haven't proven they are capable. Laziness/apathy at Junior Cert level should not be rewarded with a place in the higher level class ahead of those who have proven themselves to be capable.

Maybe you should have a talk with your son again and explain the knock on effects of his choice, particularly if he is capable of achieving at higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

SmidgeBall wrote: »
    My friend did ordinary maths for the JC and is doing higher in june so no it doesn't matter. It's the JC though, just do higher level, doesn't matter if you fail.

It wouldn't be the norm though to go from ordinary level maths at JC to higher level at LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

It all depends on the school really. Normally if you do Ordinary level for junior cert in subjects like Irish, English and maths the school put you into ordinary for leaving cert. But some schools might not have a problem with leaving a student go back up to higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

in my school, a couple of girls who did foundation maths in JC are doing ol maths. half of my HL business class did ol business in jc. One girl tried doing hl Irish for lc having done ol irish, but dropped back down as she found it to be too difficult, the same with maths. Some girls are currently doing hl English (and doing quite well may I add), having done ol for jc (this is with A LOT of grinds however).
    This is just my personal experience, take from it what you will :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If he doesn't want to sit the HL paper for Junior Cert, what makes you think he'll want to sit the HL paper for the Leaving Cert?

By "lower level" I presume you mean Ordinary Level. Saying it's "a shame" is a bit harsh. HL Irish is hard, Junior Cert and Leaving Cert.

Most students just don't want to bother with HL and spend the time on some other subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

My friend did OL for the Junior Cert in Irish and did HL for the LC and got an A1. Anything is possible with a little bit of hard work and dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭wow exuberant

My friend did pass Junior Cert Business because he was so bad at accounting and does honours now and will at least get a B.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

It's definitely possible. I did OL Irish for JC, as I didn't enjoy Irish at all for the junior cert, I had a horrible teacher who didn't like me at all, and I was fairly lazy. I got an A in it (in OL) in the JC, and quite enjoyed it with a different teacher. I stayed in OL up until around February of 5th year, as I hadn't even thought of going back up to HL as I thought it would be too difficult. However I enjoyed doing Irish and I was quite good at it, so I moved up half way through 5th year. I missed quite a bit in the honours class which I had to do myself, as the class had already done it. I'm in 6th year now, doing my leaving cert in a few weeks, and HL Irish would be one of my best subjects. I'll hopefully get B1 in it..

But yeah, just to say it is possible to do OL for JC and then HL for LC. I, personally, didn't find the difficulty range between the OL and HL for LC huge, but it was fairly tough. Once you work at it from 5th year, you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Take a look at his class test results and his mock results and speak to his teacher, who should be able to indicate which level is more appropriate for your son.
    Common sense would dictate that (1) if he doesn't feel able for higher level at Junior Cert, he won't feel able for it at Leaving Cert, (2) if you can't convince him to do Higher for the Junior Cert, you won't be able to convince him to try it at Leaving Cert, and (3) the Junior Cert means a hell of a lot less than the Leaving, so I would rather see him fail higher level at Junior Cert level than pass Junior Cert ordinary level, then try to crawl his way up to Leaving Cert higher!
    If he already has an idea that he'd like to do a college course requiring higher level irish perhaps you could encourage him to strive for higher level and maybe get some extra tuition, go to the Gaeltacht etc in order to improve his standard. But if this is all just based on your feeling that it would be 'a shame' for him to do Ordinary level, maybe figure out why you feel that way, explain it to him and see if it changes his opinion/intentions. It probably would put his mind at rest to hear that you would be ok with him failing the higher level paper, because you would then know that he had tried it.
    Good luck
    Edit: sorry, meant to say, most schools are fine with students attempting HL for LC as long as they had an A or B grade in JC and are committed to the work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Danielius120

i did my jc few months ago and they asked what level i did , i said i did ordinary but i was ment to do higher , would i get into trouble and is there any consequences to it ? please replay to me its urgent

Advertisement