Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTO: IPv6 via tunneling (6in4)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Wcool

Thanks for all the answers. My ISP and my computers are all fully IP6 ready.
    My simple home router is the problem (DD-Wrt)

But if they don't sort the MAC issue, i won't switch (AND I will definetely double check my linux computers!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Wcool wrote: »
    Thanks for all the answers. My ISP and my computers are all fully IP6 ready.
    My simple home router is the problem (DD-Wrt)

But if they don't sort the MAC issue, i won't switch (AND I will definetely double check my linux computers!)
    What ISP you with out of interest? Also, that MAC thing is here to stay. :)
    Wrong. DHCPv6 is described in two RFC papers RFC 3315 for StateFul Autoconfigurations and RFC 4862 for Stateless Autoconfigurations which u mentioned in part.
    What part exactly is wrong? DHCPv6 requires a server on the network to delegate IP addresses and keep track of the current state of the clients.

The alternative is stateless addressing where the machines receive the network prefix from the router advertisement, and then generate their own address based on MAC address. No help required from anyone.
    Privacy Addressing is still experimental see here. In short RFC 4941 isn't prefect yet, as some people will malconfigure the settings and screw up the network and create timing problems if enabled. They will enable it in future Linux's when its ready not before.
    I'm fully aware of that. I never claimed otherwise. All I was doing was pointing out that it is currently not enabled in Linux.

Anywho, this nitpicking is getting us nowhere.

TL;DR: IPv6 is cool. Go and use it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Could anyone give a tl:dr/simple version of that whole mac address/security discussion/situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Wcool

Jonathan wrote: »
    What ISP you with out of interest? Also, that MAC thing is here to stay. :)

It's Airwire, a fixed wireless provider, they are compliant for a number of years and are generally first to add stuff like this.

Here is a good list of where ISP's are in Ireland on IP6:

Inex members

Thanks again for pointing me to the Debian discussion list and other links, I am now going to add some lines to my linux home servers in sysctl as described by others.

Advertisement