Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge don Ardteist

Options
  • 12-06-2011 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

How would you say "It's easy to be critical in our modern world. The media are dragging us down, back into despair."?

(Sorry can't do fadas)- "Ta se an-easca bheith leirmheasteach. Ta an meain cumarsaide ag tarraingt gach uile dhuine sios, ar ais isteach ar gcuid eadochas."

My best attempt, anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It sounds a little odd tbh. Try to simplify what you have to say, rather than doing a word for word of a more fluent English version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi there hairybacon. I hadn't heard of the adjective 'léirmheastach' so thanks for that. I see it means 'critical, inclined to criticize' (léirmheas, 'review', pretty common though).

Another word is 'cáinteach' which I hear a lot on Raidió na Gaeltachta and it means 'fault-finding' (so a bit similar, thought you might be interested in having another word to add to what you have!).

'na meáin' is what you would hear to describe 'the media'. You can still use na meáin chumarsáide though, but definitely and probably because it's less wordy 'na meáin' is what gets used most on radio, papers, etc. (from what I've observed anyway).

Also for 'in the media' you hear 'ar na meáin' and not so much 'sa' which you might expect.

My attempt then is:

Tá sé éasca bheith léirmheastach nó cáinteach go deimhin ar na laethanta seo/sa lá atá inniu ann.

Tá muid arís ag titim in éadóchas de bharr a mbíonn feicthe againn ar na meáin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭General Michael Collins

I'll give it a go, but please wait for confirmation or better efforts. I'm here to improve my Irish and practice as well.

For the sake of translation, I make it - "Criticism is too easy in the modern world - The media are dragging us down, back to despair.

Tá cáineadh ró-easca sa domhan nua-aimsire - Tá'n Meáin Cumarsáide ag tarraingt muid sios, ar ais chuig éadóchas.

Advertisement