Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm published.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Anyone who wants to review mine now, I'd be delighted.

Believe it or not, one interesting aspects of reviews on Amazon is that bad reviews can do as much to increase sales as good ones. I'm not sure why, maybe people buy to see if it's as bad as the reviews suggest, but it seems to work.

One idea that I'm playing with is to have a website which is based on characters from my book. So there will be an "Ask Steve" page, where people can post questions on diet and bodybuilding, and an "Ask Sophie" page where people can post about pregnancy and babies, and an "Ask Ashling" page where people can ask about the world of Eris.

This (I'm hoping) should generate a fair bit of traffic, and should give me lots of scope for referring back to the books ("When I was on the spaceship without any weights, these are the bodyweight exercises I did...")

I don't want to blog, because I'd either be putting out very rough stuff which won't reflect well on me, or I'll be using valuable writing time to polish my blog rather than getting on with the next novel. And writers blogging about writing makes for boring reading.

Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

EileenG wrote: »
    Anyone who wants to review mine now, I'd be delighted.

Believe it or not, one interesting aspects of reviews on Amazon is that bad reviews can do as much to increase sales as good ones. I'm not sure why, maybe people buy to see if it's as bad as the reviews suggest, but it seems to work.

*starts preparing a review*

1 Star: "I hate this book. Its so engrossing that I stayed up all night reading it, slept through my alarm clock and got fired from my job!"

Antilles wrote: »
    *starts preparing a review*

1 Star: "I hate this book. Its so engrossing that I stayed up all night reading it, slept through my alarm clock and got fired from my job!"

I'll go for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

One idea that I'm playing with is to have a website which is based on characters from my book. So there will be an "Ask Steve" page, where people can post questions on diet and bodybuilding, and an "Ask Sophie" page where people can post about pregnancy and babies, and an "Ask Ashling" page where people can ask about the world of Eris.

This (I'm hoping) should generate a fair bit of traffic, and should give me lots of scope for referring back to the books ("When I was on the spaceship without any weights, these are the bodyweight exercises I did...")

I don't want to blog, because I'd either be putting out very rough stuff which won't reflect well on me, or I'll be using valuable writing time to polish my blog rather than getting on with the next novel. And writers blogging about writing makes for boring reading.

Any opinions?

that does sound pretty cool, you could always do a formspring thing if you were not to picky about where it's hosted and you wanted to save yourself the cost of having it designed etc.
    (as you can tell, i am very technologically advanced when it comes to the creation of websites. what do you mean I can't have a mirror on my website? we live in the future dammnit!)

Create an account for each character you want to do the question thing with and link them together, that way you could also tap into the market there as well as attracting old readers it could help bring new ones as they read answers and wonder what the hell you're talking about, click through to your site and buy the book.

also, it seems that formspring would encourage brevity so you are not writing giant, sprawling answers and you can check it in your spare time and do it then rather than everytime you go to put something on your site or do general housekeeping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

Hey! Congratulations! My friend Alison DeLuca went with Fantasy Island, and she seems to find it great. Best of luck with the promoting! :D

CD. wrote: »
    that does sound pretty cool, you could always do a formspring thing if you were not to picky about where it's hosted and you wanted to save yourself the cost of having it designed etc.
    (as you can tell, i am very technologically advanced when it comes to the creation of websites. what do you mean I can't have a mirror on my website? we live in the future dammnit!)

Create an account for each character you want to do the question thing with and link them together, that way you could also tap into the market there as well as attracting old readers it could help bring new ones as they read answers and wonder what the hell you're talking about, click through to your site and buy the book.

also, it seems that formspring would encourage brevity so you are not writing giant, sprawling answers and you can check it in your spare time and do it then rather than everytime you go to put something on your site or do general housekeeping.

What on earth is formspring?

i-digress wrote: »
    Hey! Congratulations! My friend Alison DeLuca went with Fantasy Island, and she seems to find it great. Best of luck with the promoting! :D

You're a friend of Alison? Cool, she seems to be really on the ball. And nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

What on earth is formspring?

its this site here
    www.formspring.com

basically, you create an account and people can ask you questions either anonymously or with their site. I created an account, partly just to stop someone else using my name. in all of the internets no one was using the name i use (which is just my full name) so now slightly paranoid someone else will use it.

Anyway, back on topic, you can create an account using each of your characters names and, if you have illustrations of the characters you can use those as well and invite people to ask you questions whether from facebook or from formspring itself. could also be an effective marketing tool that way.

Because of the anonymous factor people can be jackasses but i'm pretty sure that you can have it so the person asking a question has to have an account. dont really use it that much so not 100% sure.

I have a website wwww.eileengormley.com which is just a static page at the moment, but a techie friend says he's going to help me set it up like mini version of Boards.

I have no idea if this idea will work out, but once it's set up, it should be fairly easy to maintain, and not involve boring blogs every week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Marguerite Tonery

That's fantastic news! Well done! You're a star! I hope you sell millions of copies! Well done again!

Thank you. I shall do my best.

I rang my local newspaper today and they are going to do a story on me. Actually, I think they are going to tell ME to do the story on me, and they'll send a photographer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Thank you. I shall do my best.

I rang my local newspaper today and they are going to do a story on me. Actually, I think they are going to tell ME to do the story on me, and they'll send a photographer.

Heh, a lot of the local papers will do that, it's pretty funny really. Dangerous to send an over-the-top press release as all too often it'll be used without too much editing :P

Good to hear they're playing ball though :)

I used to work for them, so they know I won't go mad. And the people who will read it are my neighbours, so I don't want to write anything that will be difficult to live down. Getting the info on how to buy the book is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I used to work for them, so they know I won't go mad. And the people who will read it are my neighbours, so I don't want to write anything that will be difficult to live down. Getting the info on how to buy the book is the main thing.

Well, if you're writing the article, you could try and schedule a couple of readings in the local library and mention this in the article.

I agree that you should keep it understated. Excited, but understated, if that makes any sense. Who are they going to say the article is by? If they are going to put your name on the end of it then it's obviously different to if its just going to be run without a name.

If you need any help with the article I'd be happy to give feedback on it before you send it to the paper. Feel free to PM etc.

I'm going to try and download the book next week and give it a read, bit snowed under at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

So many connections, ya rascal! :)

Advertisement