Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

jones85 wrote: »
    Anyone play far cry 3 blood dragon, is it any good?

Yes and no , it's humor and music are excellent but the actual main story and plot are super short if you strip out the sides and collectibles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I found the side-missions and collectibles actually kinda fun. The side-missions all had their own little quirks, and the hostage rescues were great stealth opportunities, lots of planning, sneaking, and quick bursts of violence before the enemy responds. And there weren't so many bloody collectibles as to make them a chore. And the VHS tapes were worth it for the typical cheesy 80's film plots they gave you.

One thing that bothered me about Far Cry 3 was that the story was quite long, it meandered a lot and sometimes lost its way. Blood Dragon is focused and punchy.

If you remember the 80's you will probably love every second of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jones85 wrote: »
    Anyone play far cry 3 blood dragon, is it any good?

You can get the demo on the 360/PS3, it's timed. 1.3Gb download.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Is the Blood Dragon music lifted straight from Terminator 1? If not, its the same thing with minor changes.

Also heard a few notes from The Thing theme tune.

Its totally class, only played a bit so far, hate the neon, but love the 80s references and music.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Blood Dragon was a great 6-7 hours of entertainment. Everything after this point in the game was just epic sillyness :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Not sure if spoiler tags are needed but I decided to play it self.

I finished Far Cry 3 the other night. In the end I found myself slightly disappointed with it, mainly because it started out so strong. When I first started playing it I thought it was amazing. The world was interesting and packed with things to do. I found myself ignoring the story completely and just climbing all the radio towers and clearing out all the enemy bases on the first island. Once there was nothing left to do one that island I had to go back and do the story missions. At first these were pretty good but then when all the stuff with Citra and her warriors started I really found it hard to keep interested.

Then all the
    supernatural elements started to appear. Whether or not it really was supernatural or just drug induced hallucinations is a mute point
    , it was not interesting either way. Then it got worse when you have the final fight against Vaas, who had been a decent villain. How do you kill him?
    In a stupid dream like sequence.
    How disappointing.

Once I got to the second island I found myself wanting to get the story over with. Some of the missions on this island were great, specifically the mission to destroy the fuel depots. Also the Sam character was great. But then the game has a real low point when
    you defeat Hoyt in a QTE sequence. And not a very good one either. Missing one prompt means the game has to reload and you have to sit through all the dialogue again.
    I also found the very last part of the game unnecessary.

In the end the story made me lose interest in the other aspects of the game and once the story was over I just ejected the disc. I never felt like clearing out the bases or climbing radio towers on the second island. Shame that the game left a sour taste because the actual gunplay in the game is first class. I really liked the ability to chose between stealth (which I hate) and a straight up frontal assault. Either choice is totally valid. I also loved the random animal predators that would turn up and either mess up your assault or clear out a base for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Not sure if spoiler tags are needed but I decided to play it self.

I finished Far Cry 3 the other night. In the end I found myself slightly disappointed with it, mainly because it started out so strong. When I first started playing it I thought it was amazing. The world was interesting and packed with things to do. I found myself ignoring the story completely and just climbing all the radio towers and clearing out all the enemy bases on the first island. Once there was nothing left to do one that island I had to go back and do the story missions. At first these were pretty good but then when all the stuff with Citra and her warriors started I really found it hard to keep interested.

Then all the
    supernatural elements started to appear. Whether or not it really was supernatural or just drug induced hallucinations is a mute point
    , it was not interesting either way. Then it got worse when you have the final fight against Vaas, who had been a decent villain. How do you kill him?
    In a stupid dream like sequence.
    How disappointing.

Once I got to the second island I found myself wanting to get the story over with. Some of the missions on this island were great, specifically the mission to destroy the fuel depots. Also the Sam character was great. But then the game has a real low point when
    you defeat Hoyt in a QTE sequence. And not a very good one either. Missing one prompt means the game has to reload and you have to sit through all the dialogue again.
    I also found the very last part of the game unnecessary.

In the end the story made me lose interest in the other aspects of the game and once the story was over I just ejected the disc. I never felt like clearing out the bases or climbing radio towers on the second island. Shame that the game left a sour taste because the actual gunplay in the game is first class. I really liked the ability to chose between stealth (which I hate) and a straight up frontal assault. Either choice is totally valid. I also loved the random animal predators that would turn up and either mess up your assault or clear out a base for you.

FC3 had me playing 6-7 hours straight. I'd say it's been absolute years - pentium 4 years I reckon - since anything has grabbed me that way.Even the RPGs on this console generation had me doing 2-3 hours max. Bioschock infinite had me back to my usual 45 minute sessions and I found the story in that compelling - gameplay far less so.

I will say that the moment I hit the second island my interest took a massive hit, it was only the prospect of the jump-suit that moved me forward. Still cleared out everything and finished the game, which is another rarity for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I will say that the moment I hit the second island my interest took a massive hit, it was only the prospect of the jump-suit that moved me forward. Still cleared out everything and finished the game, which is another rarity for me.

The wing-suit was a cool idea but I felt it was underused. I think I got to use it twice. Although the second time I was too slow to press L3 and just fell straight into a river below.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Totally agree on the Vaas and Hoyt "fights", so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The wing suit kills me. I'm playing through again. Leap off mountain forgetting I don't have it. Not good!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

Btw we finally dont have Malaria anymore in Farcry III - Or I havnt heard about it from any friend yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Eli Nich wrote: »
    Btw we finally dont have Malaria anymore in Farcry III - Or I havnt heard about it from any friend yet

Yeah, there is no malaria thankfully, couldn't play Far Cry 2 but loved Far Cry 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Eli Nich

mcgovern wrote: »
    Yeah, there is no malaria thankfully, couldn't play Far Cry 2 but loved Far Cry 3.

That malaria thingy just spoiled by experience with far cry2, gonna try 3 soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I didn't like 2 at all either, but 3 was probably the best game I've played so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

mcgovern wrote: »

I had Far Cry 2 for awhile but it froze on me just after a difficult mission and I rage traded it :pac:

Would the malaria actually kill you if you ignored it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I hoard games, but FC2 was one of maybe two games I traded this console generation. It just felt unfinished, that they got it maybe 90% there, didn't really playtest it and shoved it out. Was such a disappointment as I loved the original FC (PC). I'd put FC3, up there with Assassins Creed 2 in most improved sequel category.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,555 ✭✭✭✭briany

Eli Nich wrote: »
    That malaria thingy just spoiled by experience with far cry2, gonna try 3 soon

Most aspects of Far Cry 2 ruined my experience of Far Cry 2. An awful, dumbed down shooter that doesn't deserve to be placed with the other two games IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just finished Blood Dragon the other day. The end level was like, I don't know, just... wow! The music! The explosions! The carnage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"Blind me with your cyber-love!"
    is the greatest line of any dialogue anywhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did they recently patch FC3 So the pirates take back outposts?I just finished the game,interesting ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did they recently patch FC3 So the pirates take back outposts?I just finished the game,interesting ending.

They added the option where you can reset all the outposts back under militant control.

Just finished my 2nd play-through of FC3, having never played any of the Far Cry games before. I think it's possibly the greatest game I've ever played. It really is like Skyrim with guns and drugs, in a way.

I didn't find the main story line lacking at all, plenty to do with many different guns and several different takedowns to do it with. The radio towers and then releasing free guns was a nice idea, even if they did get a bit tedious towards the end. One thing in the game I would never get tired of doing though is taking outposts, shame I couldn't reset them upon finishing the game.

The Marijuana Fields/Skrillex part is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences since childhood!

Gripes:
    As has already been mentioned, the battle and method by which you take out Vaas and Hoyt the main villains felt a bit anti-climatic

Would have been great to have been able to skip through a lot of the dialog, or at least have the option to do it. That said, the cutscenes and acting/motion capture were quite good.

I would definitely recommend this to any of you who are curious, up until FC3 I hadn't played better than Skyrim and the Arkham games. That said, I'm a casual gamer at best...who just put 100+ hours into this game, and can't wait to do it again sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really liked the Vaas battle. Thought the music went well with it and quite satisfying result :)
    I've played through it several times now and have only just started getting tired of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I became a master of sniping everyone in an outpost :).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Blood Dragon is a fiver on the PSN store in a sci-fi sale. Downloading now to give a lash. Anyone still playing Far Cry 3 co-op? might go back to that after Blood Dragon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Blood Dragon was so much fun, I hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

stankratz wrote: »
    Just finished my 2nd play-through of FC3, having never played any of the Far Cry games before. I think it's possibly the greatest game I've ever played. It really is like Skyrim with guns and drugs, in a way.

I didn't find the main story line lacking at all, plenty to do with many different guns and several different takedowns to do it with. The radio towers and then releasing free guns was a nice idea, even if they did get a bit tedious towards the end. One thing in the game I would never get tired of doing though is taking outposts, shame I couldn't reset them upon finishing the game.

The Marijuana Fields/Skrillex part is one of my most enjoyable gaming experiences since childhood!

Gripes:
    As has already been mentioned, the battle and method by which you take out Vaas and Hoyt the main villains felt a bit anti-climatic

Would have been great to have been able to skip through a lot of the dialog, or at least have the option to do it. That said, the cutscenes and acting/motion capture were quite good.

I would definitely recommend this to any of you who are curious, up until FC3 I hadn't played better than Skyrim and the Arkham games. That said, I'm a casual gamer at best...who just put 100+ hours into this game, and can't wait to do it again sometime in the future.

FC2 was the same good bang bang forgetable story.
    I didnt like the quick time events and the towers became a bore. Its a fps not a platformer. The fast travel system wasnt a great idea it makes you miss some cool things.
    Hunting was great and the outposts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Blood Dragon is a fiver on the PSN store in a sci-fi sale. Downloading now to give a lash. Anyone still playing Far Cry 3 co-op? might go back to that after Blood Dragon.

I be up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

My only real problem was this game was that you were penalised for being really adventurous with how you used the special skills.

I'd never launch into a battle and roll with it, using the takedowns opportunistically. It'd be more of a 1 by 1 take down or occasionally, if they really set up nicely you might get 2 or 3. It'd be more about meticulous planning.

Otherwise you'd get fewer points for freeing the outposts. It lacked a bit of randomly spawning baddies in ambushable situations. The patrols were usually in the middle of the road.

Great game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Takng the outposts cleared the patrols in an area too meaning it got easier as you skilled up. The start of the game is the hardest when you have the lowest health and worst weapons.
    Maybe capturing an outpost could spawn more friendly patrols and keep the enemy ones too.

Advertisement