Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC introduce 5 round non-title fights!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What if he/she scores it a draw?

chances of that are fairly slim,thats why he is there is to break a tie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

A fourth judge doesn't make much sense to be honest - a unanimous draw would become a majority draw, and a majority draw would either stay the same or be an inconclusive result (two drawn scorecards, two with the same winner).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we should also consider the higher likelihood of serious injury and things like brain-damage from repetitive blows along the lines of the 12-round boxers.

It perhaps isnt a HUGE concern, but if 5-rounds becomes more like the norm, will championship fights become 7-round?

I wouldnt say I was opposed to this move but I'm not entirely keen on it either... :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Awesome. Something that has been long overdue but makes even more sense with WEC folding in and the Strikeforce guys coming over. I'm not sure about the implementation here though. The fights that should be five rounds are obvious, they shouldn't have to be a main event, and likewise, not every main event fight needs to go five rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,262 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

dave1982 wrote: »
    chances of that are fairly slim,thats why he is there is to break a tie

Not really, if his/her score card is needed, it's because 2 out of 3 have already scored it a draw. Because just maybe... It was a draw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Not really, if his/her score card is needed, it's because 2 out of 3 have already scored it a draw. Because just maybe... It was a draw!

Don't know but i'd assume he/she is there to decide a victor,should there be a draw.Where they will judge from overall performance not rd by rd

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

stevemc01 wrote: »
    Shogun v Machida was over 5 rounds mate. There have been as many bad decisions in 5 round fights as there have been in 3 round fights, its not gonna make the bad judges go away.
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking at all there. :o
    But you know what I mean
    dave1982 wrote: »
    A independent 4th judge would solve the draw issues,where his score card is only used in event of a draw

The draw isn't an issue, sometimes a fight is a genuine draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

My idea of an extra round is not important and would be rare anyway as draws are not common, only reason why a draw should add on a round is for a title aswell, Basically i'm not a fan of 5 round fights and think all fights should be 3 rounders unless the draw scenario happens in the title match.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Nice one. Although a draw is very very rare, this is a nice opportunity for Zuffa to test the waters with these kinda things and at the same time not have to fiddle with UFC.

Also, it's a good thing as it will see fights decided fairly! Good news all around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

How many times will Fitch be booked to go 5 rounds?
    :eek:
    You're right. I think while this decision has the potential to bring us many good fights, it will be spoiled by the inevitable 25 minute snoozefests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

DeVore wrote: »
    we should also consider the higher likelihood of serious injury and things like brain-damage from repetitive blows along the lines of the 12-round boxers.
    My Logic on this, and I'm open to the guys who've been doing this for years is. Boxing = shorter rounds and heavier gloves. MMA = longer rounds, lighter gloves but also the ability to be struck to the head on the ground. So yes a 5 round fight could increase the possibility of damage but the downfall of 5 round title fights is it's a big chance, unfamiliar waters and want to avail of all the time they have, where a 5 fight non title may mean , right i don't want to go the full way ( physically ) I'll try finish it early.
    DeVore wrote: »
    It perhaps isnt a HUGE concern, but if 5-rounds becomes more like the norm, will championship fights become 7-round
    Would take a very special athlete to compete at 7 x 5 championship intensity and i think Barry Oglesbys latest blog post about strength and conditioning is a great point. At least, what i think he meant anyway...

I'm looking forward to it, way too much have i been wishing a fight was longer than 3 rounds or even a sudden death 4th which i think is a viable option.

The most viable of all however is READ OUT THE JUDGES SCORES in between rounds. Guys know what the score is, if they're losing, if they have to go for broke, not be lied to by corner men telling them they have the fight ahead.

Would take a very special athlete to compete at 7 x 5 championship intensity and i think Barry Oglesbys latest blog post about strength and conditioning is a great point. At least, what i think he meant anyway...

He made similar comments in one of the fitness logs recently.
    And basically, my take from it was, if your reasonably strong and fit and at any level other than top tier, then time spent on technique is far more valuable than time spent on strength and conditioning.

It also echos some GSP said that popped up in "fighters you like/dislike" thread (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Mellor wrote: »
    He made similar comments in one of the fitness logs recently.
    And basically, my take from it was, if your reasonably strong and fit and at any level other than top tier, then time spent on technique is far more valuable than time spent on strength and conditioning.

It also echos some GSP said that popped up in "fighters you like/dislike" thread (I think)

I think you misquoted that, unless someone said pretty similar to me.

SDTimeout wrote: »

I was just wondering what happened there, I didn't say that!

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Yeah your right, I was quoting DrPhil also and deleted too much and didn't notice.

@DrPhil, Re: Strikeforce sudden death round.
    Good move from Zuffa, SF had made a mistake there. Obviously the GP has to have a fighter go through so a draw is not an option. Imagine if a fight had been a draw, there would of been mayhem, one fighter wants to fight a new round, other fighter thinks he would be better served in a rematch. Neither given notice etc.

Good move to stop the controversy before it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Mellor wrote: »
    @DrPhil, Re: Strikeforce sudden death round.
    Good move from Zuffa, SF had made a mistake there. Obviously the GP has to have a fighter go through so a draw is not an option. Imagine if a fight had been a draw, there would of been mayhem, one fighter wants to fight a new round, other fighter thinks he would be better served in a rematch. Neither given notice etc.

Good move to stop the controversy before it happens

There wouldn't have been any draws, if the scorecard was a draw on the three judges' cards then they had a fourth judge ready who would decide the winner. That's how it was for Fedor/Silva and Kharitonov/Arlovski

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I don't favour or oppose these types of fights on the grounds that the UFC has now 7 weight classes and the Flyweight division is coming in soon. Every event is nearly going to have a title fight on it. These match ups are rarely going to be used / needed and even if a title fight falls through and a non title fight is bumped up to main event. That will be 3 rounds because it was originally scheduled to be 3 rounds.

Fozzy wrote: »
    There wouldn't have been any draws, if the scorecard was a draw on the three judges' cards then they had a fourth judge ready who would decide the winner. That's how it was for Fedor/Silva and Kharitonov/Arlovski
    Ah ok, sisn't think they were using a 4th judge for the GP
    Sudden death is better imo

Advertisement