Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting my tongue in my sleep

Options
  • 09-06-2011 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Haven't posted in this forum before so maybe this topic has been done to death. If you can point me in the right direction all well and good.

I've noticed over the last few months that I often wake myself up by biting my tongue. Now luckily I haven't drawn blood or anything and it would appear that I wake myself up just on the point of it becoming quite sore. Does this happen anyone else, and what is the cause of it? There's no specific pattern, mightn't happen for a few weeks and then a couple of nights in a row....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I haven't heard of this before if I'm honest, though I was told to wear a guard for grinding my teeth in my sleep before.

I'd be inclined to think that it is somehow related to some changes in your life in the last few months. Has there been any major changes, or emotional ups and downs.

My dentist asked me about these things, which I thought a bit odd at the time but I guess it make sense if we subconciously take our day to day life into our sleep.

Sorry I can't be of more help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks Abi, I thought the same, and could it possibly be stress related but thankfully my life is coasting along quite nicely at the moment so I don't think it's that. I've googled it and it is classified as a sleep disorder, just curious to see if anyone else experiences it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I do on and off, might not happen your a year then could happen twice in 1 week.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I went through a phase of biting the inside of my cheek and it killed!!!! I think it was my body reacting to a medication i was taking. Are you taking anything? Maybe it is stress-do you carry stress in your jaw? Alot of people do without realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I usually bite the side of my cheek/jaw in my sleep when I'm under stress! It can be quite painful sometimes when I wake up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Maddylicious

Yea it wouldn't do any harm to go to your dentist and get fitted for a gum shield to stop you from doing any damage. I'd imagine as previously mentioned, it might be caused due to stress and anxiety

Advertisement