Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Mans 24 Hours 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Holy crap is that a car down there! It is totaled :eek: Really hope everyone is alright there, frightening accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,121 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

similar to first accident, hard to see the condition of car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The #1 Audi. Rockenfeller was driving.
    Looks horrific - a Ferrari moved over on him. He had nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 010010011010

What are the chances of another audi hitting another 458

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

god nasty... some speed to crash at... hope he's ok....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

left the car on his own

How?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just happened to switch on there. Driver ok it seems, anyone else in danger does it seem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

that was a 200mph crash and he got out of the car himself

am actually shaking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

He got out of the car himself, hopped over a barrier and was breathalised. I'd say he's okay though.

Just saw that replay there, was he clipped or just spun out on the grass?

Ferrari at fault it looks like.

• Advertisement

Hadn't been following for a bit, what position was that Audi in?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

amacachi wrote: »
    Hadn't been following for a bit, what position was that Audi in?

It was just after getting into second

What's everyone else's verdict? Does "stay on the racing line" apply when someone's alongside you? :pac:

The fact it didn't go head on into the barriers probably helped a lot, bounced from one side to the other would have slowed it down a fair bit.

judge for yourselves :eek:

What's everyone else's verdict? Does "stay on the racing line" apply when someone's alongside you? :pac:

Tough one to call, if slower car had to take the line to make it through the bend then faster car should have anticipated him moving over, you don't overtake if only one line. Might be easier to judge in the daylight what it looked like

Saying that, replay makes it look like ferrari shouldn't have moved over

Tough one to call, if slower car had to take the line to make it through the bend then faster car should have anticipated him moving over, you don't overtake if only one line. Might be easier to judge in the daylight what it looked like

Saying that, replay makes it look like ferrari shouldn't have moved over

That part of the track (if I'm thinking straight) is barely a kink isn't it?

That part of the track (if I'm thinking straight) is barely a kink isn't it?

But it is still a corner, the ferrari was keeping to the racing line. I'd imagine its hard to judge the speed a car is approaching at in darkness!

for me the ferrari closed the door way to late

But it is still a corner, the ferrari was keeping to the racing line. I'd imagine its hard to judge the speed a car is approaching at in darkness!

I agree it's hard to judge, and if the lights on those Audis are as bad as the bloody ones on Audi roadcars then doubly so, but that's what they're there to do.

• Advertisement

would you call it a racing accident?

Can't see it as a reason for them to pull out their third car, not an issue with the car

would you call it a racing accident?

Can't see it as a reason for them to pull out their third car, not an issue with the car

Be stupid to do that.

Definitely a racing incident IMO
    I agree it's hard to judge, and if the lights on those Audis are as bad as the bloody ones on Audi roadcars then doubly so, but that's what they're there to do.

They were talking bout that on 24minutes a few nights ago, (after night quali i think) one driver said your blinded by the audi led lights when the catch you in the dark going down the straights! so i guess it'd be very hard to judge distance. I'm sure they don't have the luxury of flipping the mirror like we do on roadcars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Its up to the faster car to get past the slower car in sportscar racing and, in my view, Rockenfeller had done enough to get past the Ferrari which then turned into the kink a fraction to early and catches the Audi. Its unfortunate but threading your way through the traffic is the most important element of a successful sportscar driver, look at Tom Kristensen

They were talking bout that on 24minutes a few nights ago, (after night quali i think) one driver said your blinded by the audi led lights when the catch you in the dark going down the straights! so i guess it'd be very hard to judge distance. I'm sure they don't have the luxury of flipping the mirror like we do on roadcars.

Yeah but the drivers are there with a big part of their job to make those judgement calls and when they get it wrong it's their error.

Also was it Audi or Merc that threw a hissy fit and withdrew their cars from a DTM race about 4/5 years ago? That was hilarious. :pac:

tough ****er of a car
    Planetlemans
    Just been told that the monocoque of the #1 Audi R18 TDI was fully intact. Rockenfeller called his parents from the medical centre

Such a long safety period, almost 2 hours

Racing again

Interesting commentators not agreeing exactly the overtaking backmarker situation and who caused crash

another off

not as big though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Sparks43 wrote: »
    another off

not as big though

who is it did they say?

• Advertisement

who is it did they say?

didnt see i went to make a cup of tea