Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do in the first month?

Options
  • 08-06-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭

Ok , say living in Dublin , assuming Ireland isnt the source of the Zombies :pac: , you have a bit of time. Option 1 , head for Lug in the wicklow mts with a month or 2 of supplies, find somewhere in the upper forrests and dig in.

Option 2 head down to your nearest harbour and buy , borrow or rent a yacht and park in dublin bay and sit it out. Water would be an issue but should be able to hoard supplies along quieter parts of the coast.

In either case if the initial outbreak is airbourne , then you have given yourself a chance by being away from the infection.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Big Boat would be a great idea... You could always chance coming back to land during the day to pick up some supplies and would have a great vantage point from the sails

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I have always said I would find a big boat and anchor it out in a v. quiet bay. Just load it up and sneak back in to land the odd time...much better chance of survival!

I've never seen this in the movies so I figure it must be a good way to avoid zombies. (It would be a crap z movie if there was hardly any z action!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just located the perfect hideaway, Kish lighthouse :D , guaranteed Zombie free zone

kishlighthouse%2011-7-05.JPG

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

1. Buy petrol. Lots of it including tanks in the car.
    2. Canned food of all kind.
    3. Whey protein powder.
    4. Some still water.
    5. Tools, knives, walkie-talkie.
    6. I'd try to steal/buy (legally or not) a firearm.
    7. Get a very small radio and extra battery pack.
    8. Painkillers, aspirine and any sort of drug I could get.

I'd head towards the Wicklow mountains for the first month or two, listening to the radio and keeping an eye on the situation. Gradually moving south, avoiding main roads I would try to find some boat and get to one of the islands on the west. What then? No idea - I'd probably focus on getting more people in (farmers, doctors and engineers in a first place) and set a zombie-free camp there.

aran-islands.jpg

Would you not hit up a boat ASAP and then sail to the west?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I dont like the idea of sitting it our on a boat.

Basically the need to be able to sail, navigate and deal with Irish weather and keep a close eye on supplies would put me off.

There's also the risk of running into pirates or scavengers.

My go-to spot would be city north hotel.
    failte_news_e_a000782886.JPG?i=111008083747

Its reminds me of a modern fortress. It's tall, isolated enough. On the M1 motorway so within easy driving from my house, already stocked with food and supplies and I'd say its easily defended once all the staircases are barricaded.

When the apocalypse comes you're all invited to stop in for a chat. :)

The amount of Z's that would be in that Hotel is insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

silverharp wrote: »
    Ok , say living in Dublin , assuming Ireland isnt the source of the Zombies :pac: , you have a bit of time. Option 1 , head for Lug in the wicklow mts with a month or 2 of supplies, find somewhere in the upper forrests and dig in.

Realistically,there is a good chance at least 90% surviving sheeple of the greater Dublin pouplation will think of "head for the Hills" too as well.Always seems to be the option of panicked humanity ..Go to high ground..
    Unless you have a cabin,or somplace that you can pre cahe your supplies.Well off the beaten track,and a method to get to it in the worst of conditions,weather and otherwise,and have plenty of time to get out of Dodge,as we dont know how slow or fast it might spread,and how quick the PTB might react and shut down an entire area for quarantine.So you would have to be gone fast and quick.But I dont think the Wicklow mountains would be a good choice,for a number of other reasons too.Better than going to sea though.IF you want to get waterborne..Get somthing manageable with some ooomph and hide out on the Shannon waterway.

Option 2 head down to your nearest harbour and buy , borrow or rent a yacht and park in dublin bay and sit it out. Water would be an issue but should be able to hoard supplies along quieter parts of the coast.

You and everyone else who has,thinks they have,or will desperatly try to get by any means a boat.Be it a luxury yacht,or a shoebox that floats.:eek:
    Its a good idea if you know your way around boats and can navigate and have experiance with them.Otherwise you are going to have to have one prestocked and ready to go.Bigger ones have inbuilt desalination plants on them,somtimes.But they need vast amounts of diesel to get them from point A to B .Sail is fine if you know how to sail otherwise it is a non hoper.
    Pre caching is great,but it has to be done before a crisis happens..Long before,and then whats the chance of your coastal cache being discoverd?You mightnt have the option of movement in the time before the plauge hits here,and one thing is for sure the last thing the PTB will want is a panicked pouplation trying to get on or off what might be a secure ,sterile island.So dont be surprised if in an emergency legislation,all costal ports ,airports,boats and aircraft are declared no go zones and are impounded and/or destroyed. I reckon the coast will be patrolled as long as the PTB have any semblence of law and order to prevent mass im or migration.:eek:
    In either case if the initial outbreak is airbourne , then you have given yourself a chance by being away from the infection.

For how long??IF this is airborne,then it will go global eventually,so the only places safe in that case then are in an underground NBC proof micro city with labs and scientists and stuff to figure out a cure for this.Or the space station.:rolleyes: Either options quite beyond 99.9999% of the worlds pouplation.Thats an end of humanity event.:(

I wouldnt try the Kish lighthouse for money or love.Ditto oil rigs or other such..Two ways on or off..Chopper or boat.Both pretty vunerable bits of equipment to severe storms that happen out there. Your chopper gets blown off the landing pad into the sea..You are fcuked..Your boat breaks its moorings and is blown away in a Force 10 plus..You are fcuked.Its abit of a swim back to the mainland..:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Tallon wrote: »
    Would you not hit up a boat ASAP and then sail to the west?
    Not really. Too early for that, I'd like to know where is it all going, get more supplies/tools, etc. on my way down. I prefer to stay in the open area as long as possible and relatively safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Even now.

• Advertisement

wolf moon wrote: »
    Not really. Too early for that, I'd like to know where is it all going, get more supplies/tools, etc. on my way down. I prefer to stay in the open area as long as possible and relatively safe.
    Safe... Open spaces...

80x80.jpg

Safe... Open spaces...
    Well... Yes. :)
    In my opinion mountains would be perfect to hold on at for a couple of months. Then boat, island or the best option: an oil platform.

oilplatform_wideweb__470x338,0.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Man when i used to go to belfast for dental work i'd stop in there to go to the toilet. I've only ever seen staff in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JENNYWREN19

In my opinion mountains would be perfect to hold on at for a couple of months. Then boat, island or the best option: an oil platform.

oilplatform_wideweb__470x338,0.jpg

did you read 'Last Light'? Oil rig worked pretty well for a few years. Other that that I'd go to an island

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Theres a drilling rig in dublin bay, doing the sewer pipelines. must grab it before it leaves.

either that or Tesco's Distribution Centre, on the M1. I did some details on it in the [survivor map] thread. it has its own power via solar, is isolated, and from an initial scouting, very few glass doors at ground level. hell you could prolly land a plane on the roof its that long. also nearby to that citynorth hotel, might pop in and say hello :D

did you read 'Last Light'? Oil rig worked pretty well for a few years. Other that that I'd go to an island
    I actually didn't... any good?

Oil platform has its own power source (including solar) as well communication and desalination systems. Is remote enough to be considered very safe, the waters around also come handy as a food source.
    Kromdar wrote: »
    Theres a drilling rig in dublin bay, doing the sewer pipelines. must grab it before it leaves.
    I think I've seen it.

I actually didn't... any good?

Oil platform has its own power source (including solar) as well communication and desalination systems. Is remote enough to be considered very safe, the waters around also come handy as a food source.

I think I've seen it.

Sorry I meant afterlight, which was the sequel to last light, but it was an end of the world scenario, not zombies. I liked it.

Can I ask the oil rig proponents...HOW do you intend to get out to these and back from them??You have two options Chopper or boat[and by boat that usually means a sea going ship of the oil rig supply tender or tug size].
    More importantly..HOW wil you secure your chopper in hurricane force winds out there??No helicopters ever stay on a rig or get to them in rough weather..They just dont fly out.Also they are high maintence,and delicate,so even if you secured the chopper down ,you had better pray,that nothing whacks off it on the rig,and damages it.

Your boat... Oil rigs,dont have steps down the legs to water level like a ship has with a gang plank.So getting up and down to your boat is going to be intresting..Next how will you tie it to the rig??In high seas it will be batterd to bits against the rig legs.So you will have to "stand off " in it in the high seas..Good luck if that is a small boat in 10 plus meter high waves.. Anything bigger,you will need crew amd wont need an oil rig anyway as you will know how to be self sufficent onboard a ship that size..

Also,oil rigs are one of the most dangerous places on the planet to work on ,not to mind live on..
    Unless this was shut down properly and abandoned,there is a very good chance of one blowing up,capsizing or killing you outright in some other nasty way.They are potential time bombs at the best of times.God knows what one would be like half abondened,with no one having a clue does this lever switch on the desalination water pump or the ballast pump for the stabilizer legs..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

First things, could the zombies smell a person who is alive and well?
    And secondly, how fast could the move?

If we were talking a month to prepare, my plan would be to head down to the hill at the bottom of our land, dig a bunker into the side of the hill, get the local metal fabricator to do a reinforced steel job etc etc (like the movie panic room :D) Cover it up with topsoil and grass-seed, get it nice and camo'd in with surroundings. Fill it with canned food, water, radio, CB walkie talkie. It's about 2 miles away from a house and 5 miles from the nearest village. It'd be carved into the side of the hill, with a good view out along the long flat stretch of ground towards the village. Fresh water stream about a kilometre away along hills, good viewpoints and no where near any houses. Stockpile food, try and get in contact with survivors and see what happens then :)

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Can I ask the oil rig proponents...HOW do you intend to get out to these and back from them??You have two options Chopper or boat[and by boat that usually means a sea going ship of the oil rig supply tender or tug size].
    More importantly..HOW wil you secure your chopper in hurricane force winds out there??No helicopters ever stay on a rig or get to them in rough weather..They just dont fly out.Also they are high maintence,and delicate,so even if you secured the chopper down ,you had better pray,that nothing whacks off it on the rig,and damages it.

Your boat... Oil rigs,dont have steps down the legs to water level like a ship has with a gang plank.So getting up and down to your boat is going to be intresting..Next how will you tie it to the rig??In high seas it will be batterd to bits against the rig legs.So you will have to "stand off " in it in the high seas..Good luck if that is a small boat in 10 plus meter high waves.. Anything bigger,you will need crew amd wont need an oil rig anyway as you will know how to be self sufficent onboard a ship that size..

Also,oil rigs are one of the most dangerous places on the planet to work on ,not to mind live on..
    Unless this was shut down properly and abandoned,there is a very good chance of one blowing up,capsizing or killing you outright in some other nasty way.They are potential time bombs at the best of times.God knows what one would be like half abondened,with no one having a clue does this lever switch on the desalination water pump or the ballast pump for the stabilizer legs..

I consider a boat only, because simply I wouldn't know how to fly the chopper.

Sure, maybe oil rigs are dangerous, but in world infested by hordes of monsters who came back from the dead, driven by the need of killing and eating flesh of other people... I would say that all the potential death threats that I may be facing on the oil rig seem to be nothing else but very small inconveniences.

Getting in and out? Is it more difficult than keeping an eye on the entire house in the hostile environment, with no chance of a proper sleep? How about extremely dangerous raids for food, other survivors? How about farming the field to benefit from a long-term food source - most people wouldn't have a clue where to start, also there would be no time to wait months unless in group and absolutely perfect and super-safe location.

No, I still don't think that oil rigs would be particularly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

zombie_apocalypse_chart.jpg

peatcass wrote: »
    zombie_apocalypse_chart.jpg

not very encouraging, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

not very encouraging, is it?
    just dont be in the red section, and you'll be grand:)

peatcass wrote: »
    just dont be in the red section, and you'll be grand:)

good idea! I'd prefer killing zombies. I've watched all the right films and have a hurley I'll be grand

I consider a boat only, because simply I wouldn't know how to fly the chopper.
    Neither would I,or even consider having the skill to keep a boat out there.
    Sure, maybe oil rigs are dangerous, but in world infested by hordes of monsters who came back from the dead, driven by the need of killing and eating flesh of other people... I would say that all the potential death threats that I may be facing on the oil rig seem to be nothing else but very small inconveniences.

Reminds me of a chapter in James Herberts Domain book[basically the rats trilogy]Nuke war happens in London,and this guy has built himself a bunker over the years ,and is sneered and jeered by the neighbours..Until the 3min siren goes off,and everyone wants to be in the bunker with him.
    He survives the holocaust,but still dies in his bunker,because of a very slight oversight.He forgot to bring a Jack to open the bunker door,for air as there are a few tons of his house now on top of the bunker door.
    So put another way..Yes you go out to the rig to survive the Z's etc,but inadvertantly hit a switch in the control room that you dont know anything about or never see ,and it is the one that starts filling the bouancy chambers with sea water.:P:eek:. Or that 100% secure knot that you tied your boat to the rig,just happens to give away one night.No boat,and no way off...Cabin fever,or starvation as a method of death??Rigs generally dont have gardens on them or unlimited food supplies or diesel for the gennys either.

Dont put yourself in a situation where there is only one way in and one way out,with only one method of getting there
    Getting in and out? Is it more difficult than keeping an eye on the entire house in the hostile environment, with no chance of a proper sleep? How about extremely dangerous raids for food, other survivors? How about farming the field to benefit from a long-term food source

At least on land you have the options of running or getting somhow out of a situation.compared to being marooned miles offshore with no means of getting off a modern desert island??Thats why it was orginally a old ships death punishment dumping unruly crews off on a uninhabited island.
    - most people wouldn't have a clue where to start, also there would be no time to wait months unless in group and absolutely perfect and super-safe location

True,you will never get the 100% solution to anything in this life,but you have better options on dry land,and getting out to a rig isnt that easy either,even in normal times.
    No, I still don't think that oil rigs would be particularly dangerous
    Neither is living next to a nuke power plant,but I'd still rather not..:D

Makes sense :)

13spanner wrote: »
    If we were talking a month to prepare, my plan would be to head down to the hill at the bottom of our land, dig a bunker into the side of the hill, get the local metal fabricator to do a reinforced steel job etc etc (like the movie panic room :D)
    Why not just get a hole dug and drop a 20 or 40 ft container in straight away??.Cheap [relatively],and can be customised for living in no trouble.:)
    Cover it up with topsoil and grass-seed, get it nice and camo'd in with surroundings. Fill it with canned food, water, radio, CB walkie talkie. It's about 2 miles away from a house and 5 miles from the nearest village. It'd be carved into the side of the hill, with a good view out along the long flat stretch of ground towards the village.

Sounds good,but you are going to be relying totally on cammo and unobtrusiveness??Means you cant have any fire going[woodsmoke smell and sight]Means alt heating ,no genny noise either,no sign of human habitation at all.Pretty difficult ,but with alot of disipline it could be done.

Fresh water stream about a kilometre away along hills, good viewpoints and no where near any

Long old walk for some water!!Especially if you have to lug back a few gallons per day,which you will need for cooking,drinking,washing etc..Might be better to see if there is a spring somwhere on the base of the hill,and dig out a primitive well,and build a filter well beside it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Neither would I,or even consider having the skill to keep a boat out there.

Reminds me of a chapter in James Herberts Domain book[basically the rats trilogy]Nuke war happens in London,and this guy has built himself a bunker over the years ,and is sneered and jeered by the neighbours..Until the 3min siren goes off,and everyone wants to be in the bunker with him.
    He survives the holocaust,but still dies in his bunker,because of a very slight oversight.He forgot to bring a Jack to open the bunker door,for air as there are a few tons of his house now on top of the bunker door.
    So put another way..Yes you go out to the rig to survive the Z's etc,but inadvertantly hit a switch in the control room that you dont know anything about or never see ,and it is the one that starts filling the bouancy chambers with sea water.:P:eek:. Or that 100% secure knot that you tied your boat to the rig,just happens to give away one night.No boat,and no way off...Cabin fever,or starvation as a method of death??Rigs generally dont have gardens on them or unlimited food supplies or diesel for the gennys either.

Dont put yourself in a situation where there is only one way in and one way out,with only one method of getting there

At least on land you have the options of running or getting somhow out of a situation.compared to being marooned miles offshore with no means of getting off a modern desert island??Thats why it was orginally a old ships death punishment dumping unruly crews off on a uninhabited island.

True,you will never get the 100% solution to anything in this life,but you have better options on dry land,and getting out to a rig isnt that easy either,even in normal times.

Neither is living next to a nuke power plant,but I'd still rather not..:D

Don't forget his altercation with the cat. :D:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The rig is an interesting choice that has been much maligned in this thread.

It's easier than you think to board one (in calm conditions)
    COR_HR_JPEG.02765571.jpg

And once you're given the all clear. Strap in and pull the lever

norsafe-lifeboats-oil-rig.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

Think I have you all beaten....
    I live in Athy in Co. Kildare... With lets say... a half hour warning... Where would you go and what would you do? Well living on a 3rd floor apartment all i have to do is look out my window....photong.jpg
    And also....
    photo2ha.jpg

The tower has 2 sets of steel security doors only... About 30 ? floors up... is empty... surrounded by a compound and palasade fence... Loaded with all telecommunications masts on the roof, backup generators... Would get my family to get supplies while i get access... I also have a gun... and Im an electrician...

The canal is loaded with fish.... is a barrier... and with blocking 3 small bridges over time, would protect 2 of your 4 flanks... I also drive a fire engine... so i would load it would petrol and use it as a mobile flame thrower :)

Questions?????? :)

Advertisement