Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translating "Baby on Board"

Options
  • 08-06-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi, What would be an Irish translation of "Baby on Board". All I could come up with was "Leanbh sa Gluaisteán" whcih isn't very snappy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

I have 3 young ones in the back when traveling about...do I need a sticker saying I have tiny ones on board?..of course not I'm not that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Some feel it an unnecessary sticker but if it puts parents' minds at ease, knowing that there are "stupid" not to mention wreckless drivers aplenty out there, then what harm?

"Leanbh sa charr" is a bit shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

And will stupid, wreckless drivers change their behaviour because of a sticker? And will stupid drivers understand it as gaeilge?

I'd genuinely love to know why people put these stickers on their cars - what's the real message?

It has the effect of any alert sign.

• Advertisement

It has the effect of any alert sign.

Can you be a bit more specific? If you have the sticker on the car - what event/behaviour is less likely to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

bastados wrote: »
    I have 3 young ones in the back when traveling about...do I need a sticker saying I have tiny ones on board?..of course not I'm not that stupid.

This is not what the OP asked nor did he infer he had kids.

"Leanbh Ar Bord" would mean "Child on Board" which should suffice or alternatively "Babai Ar Bord"

Thank you Google Translate

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Some feel it an unnecessary sticker but if it puts parents' minds at ease, knowing that there are "stupid" not to mention wreckless drivers aplenty out there, then what harm?
    I don't know if this is true, but I heard somewhere ages ago that these stickers were invented to warn other drivers (including the stupid reckless ones) that the driver of said car might be distracted and to take care around them. I would be of a mind to tell them that if they can't control their kids so they can drive properly then they should start walking.

A boy-racer might give you a wide berth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My brother put a "Baby on Board" sign in the back of his old VW as a decoration. It was just there as something for his friends to laugh at. Anyone who expects a yellow sticker in the window to magically save them from bad drivers is looking for a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Plates wrote: »
    I'd genuinely love to know why people put these stickers on their cars - what's the real message?

The message is "Back off, I have precious cargo". Honestly, do you have to ask?

I'd cosider myself to be a fairly impatient driver but when I see that sign in the back of someones window it automatically makes me think and back off. They work. At least on simpletons like me.

If the message is "be careful - I may be distracted" then shouldn't we have stickers for:

"Recently Bereaved"
    "Just divorced"
    "Won the lotto last night"
    "On my way to a job interview"

etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

The OP asked a simple translation question; why are people going on about the efficacy of such signs? This is the Gaeilge forum, and only 2 out of 7 posters have answered his question. Maybe this thread was redirected from another forum or something...

@OP: "Báibín ar bord" / "Leanbh ar bord" is unfortunately probably the best translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

emmetfahy wrote: »
    Hi, What would be an Irish translation of "Baby on Board". All I could come up with was "Leanbh sa Gluaisteán" whcih isn't very snappy!
    Ní hionann é go baileach, ach céard faoi:
    Gasúr sa gCarr

If the message is "be careful - I may be distracted" then shouldn't we have stickers for:

"Recently Bereaved"
    "Just divorced"
    "Won the lotto last night"
    "On my way to a job interview"

etc, etc.
    Yeah, you could do yourself up a sticker for every occasion.
    In your case, maybe "duck driving" would suffice, though.
    Then again, maybe you could swap an i for the u ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

"Leanbh istigh (ann)".

Or you could put something like 'Tug aire: Leanbh istigh ann' or 'Leanbh istigh ann, bíodh a fhios agat!' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Armchair Expert

"Baba ar Bord" would be my suggestion - perfectly clear. Babaí also ok. They have a much nicer ring than "Leanbh sa Charr" or equivalent.
    "Gasúr sa Ghluaisteán" might also work. I think sa takes a séimhiú so it would be "Gasúr sa Charr" rather than "Gasúr sa gCarr" - doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely (although the "sa" thing may be canúint dependent).

"Baba ar Bord" would be my suggestion - perfectly clear. Babaí also ok. They have a much nicer ring than "Leanbh sa Charr" or equivalent.
    "Gasúr sa Ghluaisteán" might also work. I think sa takes a séimhiú so it would be "Gasúr sa Charr" rather than "Gasúr sa gCarr" - doesn't roll off the tongue as nicely (although the "sa" thing may be canúint dependent).

I think baba and babaí are makey uppy English-based words - although have some currency, particularly as a result of Gaelscoil Irish.

SA does officially take a séimhiú - but many many good speakers, particularly in Connacht, follow it with an urú.

I put it down because it's snappy, and has the alliteration that makes "baby on board" roll off the tongue so easily.

Ar bord of course has nothing to do with being on board- it means on a table. Not quite the same thing, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Armchair Expert

deirdremf wrote: »
    I think baba and babaí are makey uppy English-based words - although have some currency, particularly as a result of Gaelscoil Irish.

SA does officially take a séimhiú - but many many good speakers, particularly in Connacht, follow it with an urú.

I put it down because it's snappy, and has the alliteration that makes "baby on board" roll off the tongue so easily.

Ar bord of course has nothing to do with being on board- it means on a table. Not quite the same thing, is it?

Not trying to get into an argument. I was using "Baba" as the internationally recognisable equivalent of "Mama" or "Dada" precisely to avoid the béarlachas accusation. I can see how certain people might take exception to it - but find it mildly ironic that they would accept incorrect grammar in its place.

"Gasúr sa ghluaisteán" might be a reasonable compromise for those who don't like the use of the word "Baba" due to a perceived link to English.

Personally, I would put "Baba ar Bord" on my car. It's nice and snappy. Must try to copyright it actually...

To each their own!

ps - I forgot to point out "ar bord eitleáin" as an example of the use of "ar bord" for something other than a table. I don't think it's Béarlachas but will look into it further.

http://www.focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=ar+bord

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"ar bord" is the correct translation of "on board": on board a ship > ar bord loinge

Also "sa + urú" isn't incorrect; it's just not part of standard Irish. But it's well-attested in some dialects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

As far as I remember if it was 'on a table' the noun here would need to get a séimhiú so it would be 'ar bhord' and not 'ar bord'.

(I have no grammar books to hand so if this is incorrect let me know).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

pog it wrote: »
    As far as I remember if it was 'on a table' the noun here would need to get a séimhiú so it would be 'ar bhord' and not 'ar bord'.

(I have no grammar books to hand so if this is incorrect let me know).

You're correct. 'Ar bord' is considered a status (like 'ar saoire' or 'ar cuairt'), grammatically, whereas 'ar bhord' is considered a strictly physical position.

Ar bord - on board
    Ar bhord - on a table

Ní hionann é go baileach, ach céard faoi:
    Gasúr sa gCarr

If you live in Conamara, yes, however "gasúr" means "boy" only in the other Gaeltacht regions so leanbh/linbh would cover all infants and páiste/paistí all children.

Personally, I would put "Baba ar Bord" on my car. It's nice and snappy. Must try to copyright it actually...

I have heard "babaí" in many a Gaeltacht for baby and "Baba" as an abbreviation for Bairbre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Slightly off-topic, but the Baby On Board signs aren't (at least originally) for other drivers. They're for EMTs and the like, so they know to look for a baby / child in the event of an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭emmetfahy

Cheers/Sláinte eveyone!
    Who know it would be so difficult!?

My preference, fo rwhat its worth, is "Gasúr sa Ghluaisteán" or "Leanbh Instigh" as they are most Irish sounding.

Gluaisteán was composed in the last century for the motor-car but never taken-up by native speakers anywhere in the country while the term "carr" goes back centuries and was easily transferred to the motor-car.
    "Carr" like "ród", the oldest word we have for road predate their English equivalents.

Not trying to get into an argument. I was using "Baba" as the internationally recognisable equivalent of "Mama" or "Dada" precisely to avoid the béarlachas accusation. I can see how certain people might take exception to it - but find it mildly ironic that they would accept incorrect grammar in its place.

"Gasúr sa ghluaisteán" might be a reasonable compromise for those who don't like the use of the word "Baba" due to a perceived link to English.

To each their own!

ps - I forgot to point out "ar bord eitleáin" as an example of the use of "ar bord" for something other than a table. I don't think it's Béarlachas but will look into it further.

Gael wrote: »
    You're correct. 'Ar bord' is considered a status (like 'ar saoire' or 'ar cuairt'), grammatically, whereas 'ar bhord' is considered a strictly physical position.

Ar bord - on board
    Ar bhord - on a table
    My apologies, I must have had one too many when I wrote that; although, it would be normal to qualify "ar bord", eg, ar bord loinge, ar bord eitleáin; I'm not sure that I have heard it with reference to a car?
    But I am willing to be proved wrong on that point, from good sources only!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭whatthefeck

Sorry slightly off topic
    The etymology of the word Car is not English but Gaulish
    Originally a two-wheeled Celtic war chariot.
    :)

• Advertisement

Can you be a bit more specific? If you have the sticker on the car - what event/behaviour is less likely to happen?

http://www.health-safety-signs.uk.com/productimages/Explosive-Hazchem.gifExplosive-Hazchem.gif

Put one of these on your car and you won't have any tailgators. ;)

Advertisement