Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIG 3 Web Design & Development

Options
  • 08-06-2011 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭

Who do you consider to be the leaders of the pack?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good idea of a thread. We are looking at getting some "good quality" website design done up so are looking around.
    We have found the pricing differences for the same amount of pages delivered is pretty big. BUT the difference in quality of pages/templates is also big.

Are we naming companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

probably not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

fatlog wrote: »
    probably not!

Why not? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I can't count today but something like:

WebFactory
    X Communications
    Strata3
    Fusio
    Spoilt Child/Alan O'Rourke

Maybes/In the past
    WebTrade
    Nua
    Tibus (NI)

and some xbalts;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd like to see how this pans out :)

But if we're going to do this lets do it right (Film Forum rules) - not as a list thread, but feature reasonings and where possible samples or examples of work. Fair criticism is fair enough, but rants, moans, whines and other blatant stupidity will go away as fast as I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Worked with XComm on a project and they delivered a very good site to the customer.

Most of my citations are based on my experience of watching them over many years and also working and dealing with a few of them. Most of them have been in the game since early on and have gained much gained talent and experience. Most of them get the higher end of the client pool and do a good job in retaining them. Some seem to have changed their directions quite a bit.
    • WebFactory 'got' the web very early on, especially the community aspect initially, but can get a bit excessively visual these days.
    • Xcomms are similar though less so on the community front.
    • Fusio's own site is a bit meh imo, but they turn out pretty solid sites.
    • Similar for Strata3.
    • Spoiltchild, well I've always like their stuff.
    • What's left of Nua has gone into UI testing but have pretty much lost their footprint. (I could rant though)
    • Tibus established themselves in the NI market early on and have pretty much remained there.
    • WebTrade seem to turn out good enough stuff.

Disclaimer: no current affiliations with any.

All comments are IMHO

I'd like to see how this pans out :)

But if we're going to do this lets do it right (Film Forum rules) - not as a list thread, but feature reasonings and where possible samples or examples of work. Fair criticism is fair enough, but rants, moans, whines and other blatant stupidity will go away as fast as I see it.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done before? In a world of over regulation, and rules for this that and the other, can we not try to keep it simple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This thread could have been useful when I was whoring myself to companies, trying to get a junior position :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

When you say 'big 3' do you mean in terms of size or quality of creative/technical/strategic output?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ugh, webfactory's entire site is in Flash, and unless I'm mistaken, they've done no SEO work on their mark-up to make up for it. They've just plopped the swf file into the page and that's pretty much it.

When you say 'big 3' do you mean in terms of size or quality of creative/technical/strategic output?

I mean 'Big' in terms of in-house creative and technical skills(no subbing) which is consistently demonstrated by quality and original output.

Size (eg Turnover, Staffing etc) would probably be a narrow means of measuring BIG.

I mean 'Big' in terms of in-house creative and technical skills(no subbing) which is consistently demonstrated by quality and original output.

Size (eg Turnover, Staffing etc) would probably be a narrow means of measuring BIG.

There's actually a big difference between the two. The bigger agencies are generally producing average, staid work while the smaller, designer/developer-led companies are by far out-performing them in terms of quality.

Eoin wrote: »
    Ugh, webfactory's entire site is in Flash, and unless I'm mistaken, they've done no SEO work on their mark-up to make up for it. They've just plopped the swf file into the page and that's pretty much it.

They're probably relying more on word of mouth than drive-by SEO. Can see their reasoning but wouldn't agree with it.

The Flash site is obviously pants. So much swooshing and a swishing is very distracting - short attention span stuff. One of the video's sound is way down and the swooshing stuff in the background is off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

BTW flash is full scalable, i.e it re sizes with your browser. Which is not entirely easy to do in flash. I do like the colors however the effects are un-necessary.
    Not really pushed on SEO, most of our clients are word of mouth etc etc, we dont pick them up from google etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

SEO is just one aspect though; 100% Flash websites are a bad thing.

There's actually a big difference between the two. The bigger agencies are generally producing average, staid work while the smaller, designer/developer-led companies are by far out-performing them in terms of quality.

What are you arguing about?:confused: If you want to make a contribution under your 'BIG' criteria - that's fine, but if not, why bother with cluttering points?

What are you arguing about?:confused: If you want to make a contribution under your 'BIG' criteria - that's fine, but if not, why bother with cluttering points?

Em... okay.

Well for what it's worth, I think the best web/digital agencies in Ireland are X Communications, The Creative District, Contrast, EchoLibre, Metronet, Zoo Digital, Brando and Framework Design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Placebo wrote: »
    most of our clients are word of mouth etc etc, we dont pick them up from google etc
    There might be a reason for that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Metronet even still in business? Their site has what appears to be Christmas snow on the homepage hehe.

Useful thread - I've always been curious as to just what firms are around in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

ocallagh wrote: »
    There might be a reason for that!

Vodafone, Pepsi, Unilever, Lyons[all our clients btw] etc etc - i'm sure they go to google searching for 'web design companies'

Vodafone, Pepsi, Unilever, Lyons[all our clients btw] etc etc - i'm sure they go to google searching for 'web design companies'

Is that because you're a large ad agency that invests more heavily in client services and business acquisition than on creative integrity and quality production? Just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

It depends on the type of client you're after.

If you have absolutely no interest in SMB's then perhaps the lack of SEO is not really an issue.

What if a large company was specifically looking for SEO/Accessibility - do you offer those services?

btw your flash doesn't work on Linux Google Chrome v11.0.696.68 with latest flash version. The bottom half flashes non stop (like a strobe effect) and it's impossible to see the lower half of your portfolio/slideshow on the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,323 ✭✭✭jmcc

tricky D wrote: »
    [*]What's left of Nua has gone into UI testing but have pretty much lost their footprint. (I could rant though)
    They were responsible for my favourite DotBomb headline: "Net visionary fails to foresee crash". :) Still some of them did well after Nua.

[*]Tibus established themselves in the NI market early on and have pretty much remained there.
    Taken over by U.TV a few years ago from what I remember.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I like the layouts and general design from Digital Crew.

Em... okay.

Well for what it's worth, I think the best web/digital agencies in Ireland are X Communications, The Creative District, Contrast, EchoLibre, Metronet, Zoo Digital, Brando and Framework Design.

BP
    I have to disagree with you regarding some of your nominations. A distinct lack of creativity combined with poor corporate websites :eek: How do they attract new clients?
    Some don't even do web design/development and it shows and I noticed on one site which stated if you're not spending > €10k, don't contact us. A crude way of filtering prospective clients?

One or two I suppose are what you call digital agencies (but that could mean anything and it seems to as well)?

X Comms looked very impressive but we knew that.;)
    SB

BP
    I have to disagree with you regarding some of your nominations. A distinct lack of creativity combined with poor corporate websites :eek: How do they attract new clients?
    Some don't even do web design/development and it shows and I noticed on one site which stated if you're not spending > €10k, don't contact us. A crude way of filtering prospective clients?

One or two I suppose are what you call digital agencies (but that could mean anything and it seems to as well)?

X Comms looked very impressive but we knew that.;)
    SB

Em, X Comms are the most corporate of the lot in the list. They are a mix of web, digital and development agencies. They are the best in Ireland. Not really a subjective matter. More a fact.

How can that be a fact? Don't know them one way or the other, but that is pretty subjective.

Eoin wrote: »
    How can that be a fact? Don't know them one way or the other, but that is pretty subjective.

I don't really consider web design to be subjective. There's good design and bad design. Art is subjective.

• Advertisement

Given the myriad of interpretations, implementations, imperfections and a whole lot more that's involved, subjective is bang on the money.

The debate (not a row) and that 'you think', ie. it's an opinion, serves to prove this.

I'd also disagree with some of your selections. Contrast for one just looks like total fluff. But don't worry about it, it's only an opinion.

Advertisement