Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant get to sleep

Options
  • 08-06-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

hi all im looking for a bit of help on this one this last 3 or 4 years iv had trouble on and off getting to sleep id be in bed and just doozing off when all of a sudden i feel as if i stop breathing and i have to open my eyes and move my head to start breathing again and when i do my heart is racing and im panting as if i was running it has never happend much untill this last 2 or 3 months now i have to watch the telly until i fall asleep its madness and it feels like if i dont move and open my eyes ill die what should i do thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

gavlaw wrote: »
    hi all im looking for a bit of help on this one this last 3 or 4 years iv had trouble on and off getting to sleep id be in bed and just doozing off when all of a sudden i feel as if i stop breathing and i have to open my eyes and move my head to start breathing again and when i do my heart is racing and im panting as if i was running it has never happend much untill this last 2 or 3 months now i have to watch the telly until i fall asleep its madness and it feels like if i dont move and open my eyes ill die what should i do thanks in advance

I know this one well, it happens to me most nights. I begin panting to try get my breath back, as though I'd skipped a few heart beats. My advice to you is to go to the doctor and explain this. I think in my situation it is linked to anxiety over load. I've also suffered panic attacks on and off since my early twenties, which is where your body is telling you that you can't mentally take a lot more.

I'm not saying that this is your case, but nevertheless I'd check in with the GP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I get this aswell. I'm bad with panic attacks so I just put it down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭gavlaw

cheers ill go to the docs i dont suffer from panic attacks and im quite easygoing

@ Seany -It's my belief anyway. It might seem like a crazy analogy :o but I liken falling asleep with the scene in ghostbusters when they're made to open up the vault and all the bad guys get out.. it's like the days demons just seem to do their worst to me. my eyes are like saucers and can't stop thinking, and if I do sleep it's never for long.

I'd kill for some restful sleep, I haven't had any for years :/

gavlaw wrote: »
    cheers ill go to the docs i dont suffer from panic attacks and im quite easygoing

I'd regard myself as easy going gav, we are only human though - so day to day crap eventually catches up with you.

Again, I'm not medically indicating it is - but heart murmours are another one that causes the moment of fight for breath, again thats something that runs in my family. But do hit the doc's, they'll do a full check on ya :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Abi wrote: »
    @ Seany -It's my belief anyway. It might seem like a crazy analogy :o but I liken falling asleep with the scene in ghostbusters when they're made to open up the vault and all the bad guys get out.. it's like the days demons just seem to do their worst to me. my eyes are like saucers and can't stop thinking, and if I do sleep it's never for long.

I'd kill for some restful sleep, I haven't had any for years :/
    I go mad trying to sleep. I be planning things and then giving out to meself for not doing this or that lol. Then I go watch the soaps and miss them because I conk out :( haha.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I go mad trying to sleep. I be planning things and then giving out to meself for not doing this or that lol. Then I go watch the soaps and miss them because I conk out :( haha.

Exact same. I can't make plans during the day because I've no energy and crave sleep. I think our body clocks are screwed Ted :/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

seanybiker wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »
    Exact same. I can't make plans during the day because I've no energy and crave sleep. I think our body clocks are screwed Ted :/

Feckin hell i am like this end up lying awake tossing and turning and giving out to myself for not getting more done in the day then watching telly or a dvd, end up awake until 4-5 am about 5 nights a week, up at 8 am knackered for the day then at about 10 pm boom, wide awake full of energy, could run a feckin marathon just when I need to be getting to sleep, have been like this all my adult life.

Feckin hell i am like this end up lying awake tossing and turning and giving out to myself for not getting more done in the day then watching telly or a dvd, end up awake until 4-5 am about 5 nights a week, up at 8 am knackered for the day then at about 10 pm boom, wide awake full of energy, could run a feckin marathon just when I need to be getting to sleep, have been like this all my adult life.

I wish I had the answer buddy =/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 2dsrabl

it sounds like you may have sleep apnoea. it's easy enough to get a diagnosis but the wonderful 2 tier irish health system doesn't make it easy. to wait publically, it may be around 8-12months, but privately you could be seen within 2 weeks. you need to see a respiratory physician who will question you and do a physical exam and then recommend you for a sleep study.
    and just so you are aware, if you do have sleep apnoea and have underlying cardiac problems or high blood pressure, this will be detrimental to your health if you do not get help.
    hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement