Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dearly departed....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Clive Dunn. I never panicked. :-(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OldGoat wrote: »
    Clive Dunn . I never panicked. :-(

Ah that's sad, great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I bet you all knew that Rick Wakeman was the pianist on Clive Dunnes 1970 hit "Grandad".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Just heard about Bill/Jack on the news. Very sad to hear of him passing. His "death" on Corrie had me reduced to a snivelling wreck, and I'm not far off it now. RIP Bill :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Larry Hagman aka Major Nelson and JR Ewing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Aw no :(

The poor man didnt look well at all in the new series.

Another legend gone.

May he rest in peace

TBH the whole Dallas thing just passed me by.

To me he's most famous for forgetting his lines in the Royal Variety Perfomance but caried on like a trooper anyway.

Dave Brubeck has died aged 91

RIP :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI

• Advertisement

More sad Jazz news. Dave Brubeck is no longer taking 5. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sir Patrick Moore who did "The Sky At Night" for 50 years has passed away. A great broadcaster and a teacher to millions interested in space and astronomy.

Kenneth Kendall the BBC newsreader has died at the age of 88.

For the TLDR brigade he was the first in-vision newsreader on BBC TV in the 1950's and read the news up until 1981.

Gerry Anderson, creator of TV shows such as Stingray, Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 and Terrahawks has died aged 83

RIP

Have a lot of respect for his work. Funny thing is that he was never happy with it and always wanted to do live work rather then puppetery.

Éamon de Buitléar
    The man instilled in me a deep love of the sea and the coastal environment. He even taught me a cúpla focal as gailge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Remember Eamon and Gerrit van Gelderen's 'Amuigh Faoin Speir' programme. It fascinated me at the time. Today of course we are glued to David Attenborough's 'Africa'. We've come a long way but only for Eamon and Gerrit we in Ireland wouldn't have known anything about nature in Ireland.

You probably all know by now that Reg Presley passed away, aged 71 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    You probably all know by now that Reg Presley passed away, aged 71 years.

Yes, the lead singer with The Troggs.

Most famous for 'Wild Thing' in the '60s.

Reg penned the song 'Love is all around', later covered by Wet Wet Wet in the '90s

In his later years, he developed an intrest in UFOs & Crop Circles.

RIP

Richard Briers.

He was 79, which surprised me, I though he was younger.

Apart from The Good Life and may other television appearances,he was in Ricky Gervais's "Extras" as himself, (and very good he was).

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear the news. Saw Richard Briers in a Shakespeare play/film on TV and he was brilliant. Always liked him. Funnily enough when I heard his age I thought he was actually older than that.

Hugo Chávez, president of Venezuela. My Socilist leaning might be showing here but he did a lot more good in his country then most other leaders. The political world will be a poorer place without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

"You are a donkey, Mr Bush" :D

When I heard that, I had to admire him :cool:

Rest in peace.

Frank Thornton died 16th March aged 92. Did we forget Captain Peacock, or have we run out of steam on this thread? This is quite a sad place really.

And now Richard Griffiths has gone, aged 65.

I had just decided to give up posting on this sad thread when we lost Milo O'Shea and I can't ignore him. Loved Milo, I did. No more now from me.

I know there is an eliment of sadness to this thread but I prefer to see it as a reminder of the good and the joy and the better events inlife that the names listed have given me.
    I've never seen death as a 'End' to things but as a chance to relive the memories of those who have just passed.
    Perhaps I just have a weird outlook.

Thanks OG, I believe you got it right. It is sad all right and its great to look back and remember the enjoyment these famous folk gave during their careers. I think I feel more sad because I can't see anyone around today who can fill their shoes. :( Maybe in 50 years the youff of today will feel as melancholy about today's 'stars' as we do about yesterday's stars.

• Advertisement

sadly comedy writer Eddie Braburn has departed aged 82

Amongst others he wrote for Morecambe and Wise and Ken Dodd

he was a special talent

RIP

Advertisement