Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hands, Grip, Chalk and Gloves

• 06-06-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I have a desk job so my hands aren't really used to the stresses of weightlifting.

My routine now includes chinups, pullups, hanging leg raises, hanging shrugs, dumbbell shrugs, etc.

I've noticed that I'm starting to get hard skin at the bottom of each finger. Before I progress any further, I thought I'd post this thread.

Basically, is it a case of:
    • Man Up, this will happen and you're hands will get used to it; or
    • This is the purpose of chalk, buy yourself some; or
    • This is the purpose of weightlifting gloves, you're going to need them eventually anyway so buy yourself some

Also, just for us newbies, can you clear up what the purpose of chalk versus gloves is and at what point in your training you need to start considering each?
    I just want to make sure I'm doing things right from the get-go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Don't buy gloves, buy chalk.

It won't prevent the callouses but it will stop them tearing. Let them harden up, they're there for a reason. Mine used to tear all the time but they hardly ever do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭marathonic

G86 wrote: »
    Don't buy gloves, buy chalk.

It won't prevent the callouses but it will stop them tearing. Let them harden up, they're there for a reason. Mine used to tear all the time but they hardly ever do now.

Do you have any recommended sources for chalk?

marathonic wrote: »
    Do you have any recommended sources for chalk?

Wouldn't have a clue tbh, do they not have any in your gym?

Wouldn't have a clue tbh, do they not have any in your gym?

Nah, I haven't seen any anyway. I'll keep an eye out next time but it's doubtful if they don't even have a power rack :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

You should keep your callouses in check by filing them down. I use a ped egg for doing it. For chalk you can get it in any outdoor shop where they sell climbing gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Nah, I haven't seen any anyway. I'll keep an eye out next time but it's doubtful if they don't even have a power rack :eek:

I know you use myprotein from your posts in nutrition so next time you order whey from myprotein pick up liquid chalk from them.

Also if you live in Dublin, I believe there is a martial arts supply store on capel st that does it.

You in Dublin? They might sell it in the supplement shop beside The Fitness Dock on Camden Street - I remember someone mentioning it before.

You in Dublin? They might sell it in the supplement shop beside The Fitness Dock on Camden Street - I remember someone mentioning it before.

nah, I live in a megacity in the north of Donegal.... lol

just had a look at the myProtein liquid chalk. I'll definately buy some with my next order. The only problem is, it says it's unflavoured :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

just had a look at the myProtein liquid chalk. I'll definately buy some with my next order. The only problem is, it says it's unflavoured :confused:

I think everything is listed with the flavour option as thats how their database is set up. My shakers and scoops were unflavoured too I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Don't let your callouses build up like was suggested. Get a pumice stone or a nail file and file them down, moisturiser wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Advertisement

Don't let your callouses build up like was suggested. Get a pumice stone or a nail file and file them down, moisturiser wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Letting them 'build up' wasn't suggested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

It takes a while, but you get used to the taste.

+1

Callouses don't tear on the callous. The surrounding skin tears. It tears because of the disparity in ability to handle load between the soft skin and tough callous. The closer you keep that gap, the less likely you are to tear one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Not everything here is applicable to you marathonic but it's worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 strongbell

where can you get that stuff hes on about in the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

strongbell wrote: »

They're attached to the ends of your arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

strongbell wrote: »

Chalk on lifting site or outdoor shop.
    Moisturiser, pummice, tape & soap in a Pharmacy.

Advertisement