Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mattress for back pain

Options
  • 06-06-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Trying to figure out what mattress to get, for years my mattress was hurting my back, didnt realise it was the mattress. Went on holiday, and sleeping on a crappy old bed but my back was fine :)

So when came back from holiday was using mattress again and back pain started again, so started using a blowup mattress and back fine. Basically this: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3401589/Trail/searchtext%3EINFALTABLE+MATTRESS.htm

So went to IKEA and got the Sultan Favang - back pain again :(

I can exchange mattress but wondering what to get? What mattress would be closest to blowup mattress?

Am looking at SULTAN ELSFJORD, but not sure. I think from the wording on the IKEA site they only allow you to change once?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Made the mistake of getting a memory foam mattress, because I'd heard how good they are for back pain. My back has been far worse since getting it. Have had better night's sleeps while away from home. So definitely would not recommend memory foam. I reckon a very firm orthopaedic mattress is the way to go, as soon as I can I'll be checking them out. I'm not familiar with the type of mattress you got from Ikea.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Thanks 73Cat...

This is really annoying, went back to blowup mattress, and was getting bit of back pain, so turned it around (my head are where feet were, not flipped it !) about 2am last night, was better... Very strange so seems my back is very particular.

I'd say their is no one mattress for back pain, everyone is diff... I also heard now that, firm mattresses are not good for back pain, a medium soft is better.

Sale on in Harvey Normans so will take a look at mattresses in there, dont know what happens if I get back pain again, can I return mattress?

Anyway at least Im getting somewhere, have had bad back pain for over 2yrs now, have tried everything - stretches, pain killers (cant be taking these all day everyday), spikey matt (forget the name), when lying down put feet up on pillows etc etc... nothing worked. At least now I know why I have back pain and if get that sorted, happy days !!

Advertisement