Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New variant E. coli Outbreak

Options
  • 05-06-2011 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

There's something strange and suspicious about this E. coli outbreak. I heard it also containes some DNA sequence from the plague bacteria. I thought it likely, that this is some genetically engineered lab-created bug, it has all the hallmarks:

* It's easily spread:
    The Health Protection Agency said it was likely to be a new variant of the rare strain O104 - possibly with a newly acquired ability to infect large numbers of people.
    * It's highly infectious and toxic:
    Scientists at the Beijing Genomics Institute in China are also reported as saying the new form was "highly infectious and toxic".
    * It hasn't been seen in a widespread outbreak before:
    The World Health Organization said the variant had "never been seen in an outbreak situation before."
    * It affects crucial body organs and functions and can be fatal:
    It can cause the deadly complication - haemolytic-uraemic syndrome (HUS) - affecting the blood and kidneys.
    Professor Gad Frankel, from Imperial College London, the Sanger Institute and the Medical Research Council, said: "This is a new combination and a deadly combination....

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13626499

Also the bacteria’s true origin remains unknown. This is despite the fact that all victims lived in developed Western European countries. Even more surprising, most of the cases of illness occurred in Germany, a country with a rich history of research in microbiology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Koch

In addition, the early involvement of national health agencies and NGO's, such as the WHO, UK Health Protection Agency, Genetics and Research Institutes, etc..., would also lead me to believe things may not be as they seem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

It does stink to high heaven alright just like the Swine Flu outbreak. Everytime one of these pandemics breaks out it leaves me suspicious of UN Agenda 21. The disease my not be the disease itself but the cure administered. Are our governments releasing these man made diseases so the can sterilize large proportions of the population covertly by vaccine and curing programmes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sorry about that guys. I told our lecturers we shouldn't have been messing with E. Coli in first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

seanmacc wrote: »
    It does stink to high heaven alright just like the Swine Flu outbreak. Everytime one of these pandemics breaks out it leaves me suspicious of UN Agenda 21. The disease my not be the disease itself but the cure administered. Are our governments releasing these man made diseases so the can sterilize large proportions of the population covertly by vaccine and curing programmes?
    Well since the swine flu outbreak was originally meant to wipe out Mexicians, then when that didn't happen it was to be an excuse to enforce mandatory vaccinations which then also didn't happen, I suspect there'll be little to the usual scaremongering from the CTer crowd this time around either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'd be more worried about them blaming the spannish first.

Me thinks its deflection on their part to try to save the German economy some bad press that has backfired rather than a simple mistake.

Hope they get taken to the cleaners when the spannish go after them for compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

King Mob wrote: »
    Well since the swine flu outbreak was originally meant to wipe out Mexicians, then when that didn't happen it was to be an excuse to enforce mandatory vaccinations which then also didn't happen, I suspect there'll be little to the usual scaremongering from the CTer crowd this time around either.

The swine flu vaccine in itself is not mandatory but you try going to your doctor and get the seasonal flu jab without the swine flu vaccine as the two are now combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

I am varfy wary of all these things, especially the way big pharama tried to push the vaccinations on everybody, what was that all about?
    Now doctors are trained to say every flu is the swine flu.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

The swine flu vaccine in itself is not mandatory but you try going to your doctor and get the seasonal flu jab without the swine flu vaccine as the two are now combined.
    I never bother with the flu jab, but then I've never managed to come down with the flu.

I presume the reason they are pushing the swine flu jab - if they are :confused: - is for epidemiological reasons. I'm not sure of my ground here to be honest, but I seem to recall reading that you don't need to vaccinate too high a percentage of the population to make a big dent on the transmission of a disease. 30% or so would be enough to make a substantial difference in how serious an outbreak is (I think :o). Perhaps someone with more knowledge of epidemiology could help me out.

But at the time of the initial outbreak the CTer claim was that you would either take the vaccine or be arrested and put in a camp.
    The above, if true, is a very very far cry from that.

But then this was after the swine flu didn't wipe us all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Oracle wrote: »
    There's something strange and suspicious about this E. coli outbreak. I heard it also containes some DNA sequence from the plague bacteria. I thought it likely, that this is some genetically engineered lab-created bug, it has all the hallmarks:

* It's easily spread:

* It's highly infectious and toxic:

* It hasn't been seen in a widespread outbreak before:

* It affects crucial body organs and functions and can be fatal:

I am curious - if these are the hallmarks of a "genetically engineered lab-created bug" then what are the hallmarks of one that occurs naturally? That is to say, how can you tell the difference between the two, given the criteria on display here are so vague and wide reaching as to encompass any and all outbreaks.

Also the bacteria’s true origin remains unknown. This is despite the fact that all victims lived in developed Western European countries.

I fail to see the relevance of this. Tracing any kind of outbreak will take time.
    What leads you to believe that the location of the origin of this outbreak has been tardy?
    Even more surprising, most of the cases of illness occurred in Germany, a country with a rich history of research in microbiology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Koch

Again, what is this relevance of this?
    In addition, the early involvement of national health agencies and NGO's, such as the WHO, UK Health Protection Agency, Genetics and Research Institutes, etc..., would also lead me to believe things may not be as they seem.

The fact that a central European outbreak of a rare E.Coli strain has prompted a response from agencies that have the ability to respond and are close to the affected area is not something i would find surprising.
    Why do you believe this is noteworthy and what is it an indication of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Talk E

Forensic evidence emerges that European e.coli superbug was bioengineered to produce human fatalities.
    (NaturalNews) Even as the veggie blame game is now under way across the EU, where a super resistant strain of e.coli is sickening patients and filling hospitals in Germany, virtually no one is talking about how e.coli could have magically become resistant to eight different classes of antibiotic drugs and then suddenly appeared in the food supply.

This particular e.coli variation is a member of the O104 strain, and O104 strains are almost never (normally) resistant to antibiotics. In order for them to acquire this resistance, they must be repeatedly exposed to antibiotics in order to provide the "mutation pressure" that nudges them toward complete drug immunity.

So if you're curious about the origins of such a strain, you can essentially reverse engineer the genetic code of the e.coli and determine fairly accurately which antibiotics it was exposed to during its development. This step has now been done (see below), and when you look at the genetic decoding of this O104 strain now threatening food consumers across the EU, a fascinating picture emerges of how it must have come into existence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Setting aside the second half of the article and it's speculation for the moment, the core of their argument is an argument from incredulity.
    That is, when they say "It is virtually impossible to imagine how this could happen all by itself in the natural world." they then take their incredulity at that prospect as proof positive that it could therefore never happen.

This is a fallacy and given that their entire argument comes from that initial fallacy i am reluctant to consider it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

shanered wrote: »
    Now doctors are trained to say every flu is the swine flu.....

ludicrous statement in fairness.

Loving that link Talk E, this is probably my favorite bit:
    On top of that, this O104 strain possesses two genes -- TEM-1 and CTX-M-15 -- that "have been making doctors shudder since the 1990s," reports The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentis...). And why do they make doctors shudder? Because they're so deadly that many people infected with such bacteria experience critical organ failure and simply die.

Genes are bacteria now.

EDIT: Found another great one.
    Now, remember: All this is happening on the heels of the EU ban on medicinal herbs and nutritional supplements -- a ban that blatantly outlaws nutritional therapies that help keep people healthy and free from disease. Now that all these herbs and supplements are outlawed, the next step is to make people afraid of fresh food, too. That's because fresh vegetables are medicinal, and as long as the public has the right to buy fresh vegetables, they can always prevent disease.
    No agenda here!

amacachi wrote: »
    Loving that link Talk E, this is probably my favorite bit:

Ok great, make it good :pac:

Genes are bacteria now.

It states "this O104 strain possesses two genes".

Not.. "genes are bacteria".
    EDIT: Found another great one.
    No agenda here!

After reading the whole report all that you can conjure up is "No agenda here" ?

There is an agenda, congratulations.

Now can you figure out what the agenda is ?

Talk E wrote: »
    There is an agenda, congratulations.

Now can you figure out what the agenda is ?
    That Natural News has a reason to promote fear and uncertainty about actual medicine and real doctors while promoting various quack treatments advertised on the site?

It's all problem, reaction, solution at work here. First cause a PROBLEM (a deadly strain of e.coli in the food supply). Then wait for the public REACTION (huge outcry as the population is terrorized by e.coli). In response to that, enact your desired SOLUTION (total control over the global food supply and the outlawing of raw sprouts, raw milk and raw vegetables).

That says more that anyone else can tbh. Also the amount of errors/lies in that article would require me to have more fingers to count them all.

That Natural News has a reason to promote fear and uncertainty about actual medicine and real doctors while promoting various quack treatments advertised on the site?

You cynic.

That says more that anyone else can tbh. Also the amount of errors/lies in that article would require me to have more fingers to count them all.
    Hrmm.. something sounds familiar here.

It's all problem, reaction, solution at work here. First cause a PROBLEM (a vast medical conspiracy that gives you deadly substances). Then wait for the public REACTION (huge outcry as the population is terrorized by the evil conspiracy and their evil concoctions). In response to that, enact your desired SOLUTION (Sell people quack treatments that cure the ill caused by the evil conspiracy and the ills they don't want cured).

I dont believe there are any lies there. It's a matter of opinion.

TIP.
    (You dont have to use a single finger for each error/lie. You can use the same finger repeatedly and count in your mind.)

You cynic.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure Mike Adams is a true believer in the crap he spouts.
    Just making the point that his site as well as other alt. medicine sites have just as much to gain as the evil mainstream doctors, and therefore they should be viewed with the same suspicion.
    But because they happen to help support the CT narrative, they are not.

• Advertisement

I dont believe there are any lies there. It's a matter of opinion.

TIP.
    (You dont have to use a single finger for each error/lie. You can use the same finger repeatedly and count in your mind.)

The suggestion that mutations leading to resistance don't happen randomly is a lie. I'm also going to go ahead and say that it's a lie that the big bad guberments want us to not eat fresh fruit and veg when they spend huge amounts on advertising to encourage us to. But then again, I'm sure they're not as awesome as the stuff you can buy online.

Also maybe you can count that well, not everyone can/

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Here is a mad idea - How's about you discuss the topic rather than the "CTer crowd"?

The suggestion that mutations leading to resistance don't happen randomly is a lie. I'm also going to go ahead and say that it's a lie that the big bad guberments want us to not eat fresh fruit and veg when they spend huge amounts on advertising to encourage us to. But then again, I'm sure they're not as awesome as the stuff you can buy online.

Also maybe you can count that well, not everyone can/

You mean this ?
    lthough the actual process is more complicated than this, the upshot is that creating a strain of e.coli that's resistant to eight classes of antibiotics requires repeated, sustained expose to those antibiotics. It is virtually impossible to imagine how this could happen all by itself in the natural world.

Lets be honest here, it doesn't actually say "that mutations leading to resistance don't happen randomly"

"It's virtually impossible to imagine".

It is extremely rare.

It's starting to seem that you have an agenda of your own. Might need an abacus to count the errors in your last few posts.

In response to that, enact your desired SOLUTION (Sell people quack treatments that cure the ill caused by the evil conspiracy and the ills they don't want cured).

Yeah, I understand.

tamiflu-01.jpg

Sales of the drug Tamiflu have skyrocketed since the outbreak of swine flu in April, bolstering the profits of the drug's maker, Roche

Roche, based in Switzerland, said Thursday that sales of Tamiflu in the first half of 2009 tripled to 1 billion Swiss francs ($931 million), spurred by retail sales and the stockpiling of the drug by governments and corporations.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/business/24roche.html

You mean this ?

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Lets be honest here, it doesn't actually say "that mutations leading to resistance don't happen randomly"

"It's virtually impossible to imagine".

It is extremely rare.

It's starting to seem that you have an agenda of your own. Might need an abacus to count the errors in your last few posts.

More this: "they must be repeatedly exposed to antibiotics in order to provide the "mutation pressure" that nudges them toward complete drug immunity."

I do have an agenda as it happens, however mine isn't fuelled by profit. I notice you didn't address my point about the whole "They want us to stop being allowed fresh fruit and veg!" thing.

Here is a mad idea - How's about you discuss the topic rather than the "CTer crowd"?
    I was. I was explaining why I doubt any of the predictions in the OP will come into effect as they have been made before for other scenarios and have always failed.
    Yeah, I understand.
    So do you think sites like Natural News are reliable or not?

I was. I was explaining why I doubt any of the predictions in the OP will come into effect as they have been made before for other scenarios and have always failed.

Depends who you listen to. Many theories were postulated, some were off and some were actually right i.e. that the whole gig was hoax which transferred billions from the coffers of the governments to big pharma.

(I'm sure you are going to argue this but don't bother, not interested.)

So do you think sites like Natural News are reliable or not?
    No idea. Never/hardly ever visited. What I do know is that debunkers/skeptics/pseudo-skeptics hold alternative medicine in the same contempt as they do "conspiracy theories" and other forms of "woo". So I <edit:> don't think that you would be a good person to discuss and learn from because I suspect that you would have an irrational hatred of alternative health.

"they must be repeatedly exposed to antibiotics in order to provide the "mutation pressure" that nudges them toward complete drug immunity."

You think this is a lie ?
    "They want us to stop being allowed fresh fruit and veg!" thing.

Well, they do. Take a look in your supermarket, is it filled with fresh organic fruit and vedge ? or is it filled with gm sh!t ?

You think this is a lie ?
    No, I know it is.
    Well, they do. Take a look in your supermarket, is it filled with fresh organic fruit and vedge ? or is it filled with gm sh!t ?
    Both, though the "GM" **** is cheaper. Funny though, crops have been "genetically modified" for millenia, it's only when people in scary white coats do it that it's deemed bad. Also wasn't there something in the wikileaks wires about the EU trying to prevent the quick adoption of GM stuff like the US had already done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭ed2hands

"Looking for a new hobby? Why not try 'debunking', which seems to be growing in popularity and requires little except a narrow viewpoint and a handful of faulty arguments.

The first step in becoming a debunker is to immediately relinquish that title and establish your credentials by calling yourself either a skeptic or a scientist. Never mind that you are actually trying to impose your personal viewpoint on others, rather than following the scientific process and applying critical thinking to all sides of the argument. Actually, the best debunkers are those that don't even know their true identity, having such poor critical thinking skills that they truly believe that that they are exhibiting all the open-mindedness and mental sharpness of the true skeptic or scientist. The real top-notch debunkers have a force-field of ignorance that is nigh impenetrable.
    Okay, next you'll need a few handy tools. The best method, being a pseudo-skeptic, will be to take some of the skeptic's best tools and misuse them. First up, that venerable favourite, Occam's Razor, which implies that the simplest explanation is often the best. The trick for the debunker is to take Occam's Razor and use it not as a handy rule of thumb to aid critical thinking, but instead to impose it as a literal and immutable law of the universe which immediately destroys your opponent's arguments. Don't worry that complicated things happen all the time, thus disproving the 'Law of Occam'. That would make things complicated.
    Just in case you're caught without your bag of tricks, and cornered by a rabid pack of CTers, I recommend busting out a move I like to call 'The Extraordinary Sagan'. Espouse with great enthusiasm that 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'. Ignore the fact that a true scientist would say that all claims require the same proportion of evidence. Someone might even point out this statement isn't meant to be taken literally, but should be seen in terms of the acquired evidence of human experience (e.g. if you know from past experience throughout your life that a ball falls down when you drop it, and then someone says their ball fell 'up' yesterday, you would require evidence of a proportion to prove this singular event over the accumulated evidence of your life experience). The best thing is, you can apply this to all sorts of things inappropriately, like the discovery of a secret chamber, lost city, or lost knowledge, where the application of acquired knowledge is virtually without merit.
    There are plenty of other tools and techniques to be had, and mastered, with a minimum of effort. Found a fraud, or a badly performed experiment? Immediately use "guilt by association" to apply this judgement to all researchers and theories in this particular line of inquiry. Did somebody earn some money, or at least get a small grant for their research? Obviously, you can tar them with the brush of the con-man, or at the very least label them opportunists, who are not at all interested in scientific integrity (because we all know that scientists and skeptics don't make any money)."

:rolleyes:

Advertisement