Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Ironman's in 10 days

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Great stuff by Gerry,given his age I would put it up there with a 2.18 marathon. All this talk that it is slow compared to a sub 3 hour marathon is rubbish. Sorry guys a sub 2.59 hour marathon is rubbish a 38 minute 10k runner could do it. Could a 38min 10k athlete do what Gerry did? answer is no. Good man Gerry.

Pure drivel. How do you know what any 38 min 10k athlete is capable of?

With the right training anyone can do a 5k, anyone can do a 10k, anyone can do a marathon, anyone can do an ironman,anyone can do a deca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SkinnyLove

Ah lads, not this speed vs. distance bull again!

To this day he says the hardest and most satisfying thing he has ever done was the swim leg of his first tri. Challenges are different things to different people. So if you run 10km in x amount of time.. or run x in 12hours who cares really? Its all about what satisfies you and nobody else. It's about people doing their bit. At the end of the day it's ourselves we're competing against.. we set ourselves challenges.

Woodchipper although personally I would struggle to run long distances, I'd find it easier to run faster and I would be inclinded to agree to a certain extent...however it's unfair to belittle other people PBs and goals.

Anyway, all that malark aside I'm delighted to see this getting media coverage. He diserves it. I can't believe how little media coverage the 32marathons in 32days got, considering it raised over 500'000 for charity and the huge sporting achievement it was. So it's refreshing to see this getting coverage. Makes a nice uplifting change from everything else on the news/radio....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

SkinnyLove wrote: »
    Ah lads, not this speed vs. distance bull again!

Seen it much in your 6 posts?

tunney wrote: »
    Seen it much in your 6 posts?

I've been reading boards for years thanks.
    One of the main reasons I set up an account was to post on this thread because your comments annoyed me. Seems to me like you like stirring sh!t alot. Anyway what relevence does this have to the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Could a 38min 10k athlete do what Gerry did? answer is no.

Answer is yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Everytime I pop into this thread to see how the car crash is going it's like overhearing a playground argument about who's mickey is bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Having taken 7 years to do 5 ironmans and with everyone I know thinking I'm an athletic god, along comes Gerry Duffy and does ten in ten days. All I'm hearing now is "you must be a bit of a blouse if ya can only manage one, sure your man did ten in ten days!"

I used to be somebody. People used to point and stare and say, he did an ironman, it's got an marathon at the end of a swim and bike!
    Now I feel like I've been going on about a marathon only to be told it's a mini-marathon.

Gerry Duffy put ironman in the national vocabulary this week, but not in a good way for me. *

So in the words of Paul Gogarty "f*ck you Gerry Duffy!"

+1
    Was talking to one of the in-laws the other day...
    In-law: When is your "event"?
    Me: July 10th - an Ironman
    In-law: How many? Did you hear about that fella who....
    Me: Yeah, but..

When you are explaining, you are losing...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Everytime I pop into this thread to see how the car crash is going it's like overhearing a playground argument about who's mickey is bigger.
    Mine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

In the words of After Hours, Pics or GTFO !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

This is starting to get hilarious. Setting up a Boards account because a Tunney post annoys you is laughable. If a boards account was set up every time a Tunney post p!ssed someone off the servers would collapse.

On the deca thing, yes it's an achievement, yes it's difficult and yes Gerry deserves to be applauded for winning the event but all this homo erotic hero worship (or skinny loving as it could be termed) is ridiculous. Lets get real here, it's hardly a unique achievement, there were 2 other finishers and a version of this event is run in Mexico on a regular basis. Also what makes a deca finisher 'better' than an MdS finisher, a Malin to Mizen runner, a race across America finisher, a channel swimmer, etc. What about double deca finishers? What anout one of the guys behind Enduroman who did the deca a while ago on his own with no support crew whilst living in a tent just to check the course out (his report is on TriTalk). Playing the charity card is bull.

BTW I'm guilty of preferring distance over speed as its easier for a plodder like me to go longer and slower than it is to go long and fast which requires a whole lot more hurt in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Izoard wrote: »
    +1
    Was talking to one of the in-laws the other day...
    In-law: When is your "event"?
    Me: July 10th - an Ironman
    In-law: How many? Did you hear about that fella who....
    Me: Yeah, but..

When you are explaining, you are losing...:)

He may as well have done a million IMs back to back as for all it matters to the average punter who associated the word IRONMAN with Tony Stark Industries.

Can the real deca-IM winner please stand up? How will Gerry feel when the guy who did 10 IMs straight in 6 days grabs all the limelight :D

There is a big difference between the guy who just did your A goal a hundred times over or a 10 times faster, making you feel small, to the person who's realated education is second hand canteen reality tv chat, making you feel small. But, which one most deserves the handshake? ;)

I followed it and saw him being interviewed but for some reason it was the mental image of the last woman falling asleep on the swim on DAY 9 that got my mind around the enormity of it. Only to have a nap then get off the bike after 5k to fall asleep again and retire from the race... on DAY 9! Sure she only had 3.8k swimming, 355k cycling and 2 Marathons left to do....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Mine:D

ur booked tgo dish out the tea at Le cheile nxt year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fatcatskinnyrat

tunney-i had admired you from reading previous posts of yours over the years and you seemed to be very imformative but reading this re gerry duffy-you are either a serial s*** stirrer or just plain jealous of the fact what gerry achieved in comparison to what you have.
    maybe im wrong but your posts are quite petty imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tunney-i had admired you from reading previous posts of yours over the years and you seemed to be very imformative but reading this re gerry duffy-you are either a serial s*** stirrer or just plain jealous of the fact what gerry achieved in comparison to what you have.
    maybe im wrong but your posts are quite petty imo

LOL - pretty amazing that so many people with less than 10 posts completely misinterpreted my posts.

I'd be very interested to see the IP addresses of the various posters.

once again tunney adopts the defensive know all attitude...no point posting here or expressing an opinion if you cannot/will not be wrong...

.....no point posting here unless you think doing a long distance race for charity makes you a fcukin hero.....other opinions will not be tolerated and only serve to show you are jealous and are a begrudger.....

No one said that a deca is not difficult, the question was asked is it harder to go faster or longer, a valid question unless you are someone with absolutely no experience of either and don't understand the difference between speed and endurance it would seem.

Griffin100-let me guess another username of tunney...very sad...iv been viewing boards for years but dont bother posting as i prefer to see othets opinions...
    Ur right i hav absolutely no intetest or experience of endurance or speed but what i do recognise is begrugery and jealousy-tunney is rife with both as is his alias griff....
    I will not b partakin in endurance events of any sort in the present due to a disability no fault of my own but if i do i would not enjoy tunney as a mentor despite my positive feelings in the past..
    I hav other interests and pastimes and hav had to shelve them to concentrate on personal circumstances...
    Anyway im expressing my opinios as is tunney,however its disappointing for tunney orsimilar to start drawing negs or faults in the successes of others no matter how great the challenge...
    In the end the race is merely with yourself so if the challenge is neating a petsonal tome then so be it...if its just finishing then cool but im back walking this year..nxt year i WILL jog but for now ill keep supporting gerry duffy and others that strive to be the best they can be...

Apologies for poor spelling-hands and fingers not so good at moment..im mot posting on this anymore as griff and tunney are obviously insulted to hav to deal with inexpetienced joes like myself...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

If you have read ART for years you would know that Tunney and griffin are not the same person.

I don't suppose all these new posters are graduates of Gerry's motivational talks/seminars?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

griffin100 wrote: »
    This is starting to get hilarious. Setting up a Boards account because a Tunney post annoys you is laughable. If a boards account was set up every time a Tunney post p!ssed someone off the servers would collapse.

On the deca thing, yes it's an achievement, yes it's difficult and yes Gerry deserves to be applauded for winning the event but all this homo erotic hero worship (or skinny loving as it could be termed) is ridiculous. Lets get real here, it's hardly a unique achievement, there were 2 other finishers and a version of this event is run in Mexico on a regular basis. Also what makes a deca finisher 'better' than an MdS finisher, a Malin to Mizen runner, a race across America finisher, a channel swimmer, etc. What about double deca finishers? What anout one of the guys behind Enduroman who did the deca a while ago on his own with no support crew whilst living in a tent just to check the course out (his report is on TriTalk). Playing the charity card is bull.

BTW I'm guilty of preferring distance over speed as its easier for a plodder like me to go longer and slower than it is to go long and fast which requires a whole lot more hurt in training.

Jesus, this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while...even for an internet forum!!

• Advertisement

Really? What do you base that on? Are you telling me that a sub 30 min 10km is easier than a 4 Hr marathon? Going faster requires a lot more pain in training as opposed to just getting around. I suggest you read some of the training logs here and see what it takes to go faster as opposed to longer - look at MCOS IM log as opposed to my IM log from last year and see what the difference is.

Does Gerry give motivational seminars? That would explain a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

griffin100 wrote: »
    Really? What do you base that on? Are you telling me that a sub 30 min 10km is easier than a 4 Hr marathon? Going faster requires a lot more pain in training as opposed to just getting around. I suggest you read some of the training logs here and see what it takes to go faster as opposed to longer - look at MCOS IM log as opposed to my IM log from last year and see what the difference is.

Does Gerry give motivational seminars? That would explain a lot.
    I'm guessing this post is in response to my previous one, though you don't quote it in your reply. Look at what you wrote ffs.

Of course long and slow is easier than long and fast! Maybe you meant "short(er) and fast". As for your motivational seminar thingy, i couldn't tell Gerry from Jesus of Nazareth. And my idea of hell is sitting in Motivational Seminars.

No I've never been to any of his motivational talks..

I'm finding this thread quite entertaining. There seems to be alot of animosity or jealously or I really don't know what it is against Gerry.
    I mean everyone is fully entitled to their opinion but why do you seem to be constantly trying to belittle the achievement.

I'm sure griffin and tunney and whoever else are all experienced runners in their feilds and are obviously very passionate about it and I appaud it. I am sure they will be far better then I will ever be. I'm not here to make personal assalts on people, unlike some, I respect any scale of athlete.

I started posting on this thread to post updates and discuss whether he and the other competitors did it or didn't(I for one really wasn't expecting him to make it after I saw how people were dropping like flies).
    I can understand griffins viewpoint here - You seem to be very anti charity and/or anti media. Which is fair enough. You obviously don't like the way this guy is being made to seem like a hero, either it's jealously or you're defending people who have achieved much more. You're right though, someone who does something for charity shouldn't be put on a pedistal for their sporting achievements vs. someone who isn't doing it for charity. However I will say this.. If someone was going to do somethnig unique and different in which they might receive the slightest bit of media attention and where they can put a charitys name out there for people to donate to.. surely thats what ANY unselfish person would do. But, this thread isn't about charity it's about 10 irons so it really has no relevence. I just wanted to make that point.

I've had enough of the personal attacks on posters and condescending (and frankly rediculous) replies to posters with below 3000+ posts. Who's opinion seems to be worth nothing.

Anyway like all the posts in this threads last few pages I'm sure it'll get some kind of patronizing reply. But yeah well done to Gerry and to whoever else achieves what they want to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

SkinnyLove wrote: »
    well done to Gerry and to whoever else achieves what they want to achieve.

I think we'll end the thread on this note. If someone wants to set up another thread to discuss some of the off topic points, feel free to do so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement