Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

ray2012 wrote: »
    My PS3 just got the 'yellow/orange light of death' yesterday :(
    Tá mé go mór trí chéile but I need the money also. I'll be on a job hunt starting Monday! :P No jobs in my town though :mad:
    Not the YLOD! Ours got that about 3 summers ago which led to manys a boring rainy day. We had to sent it away to get it fixed and it took them ages. The one Sony sent us back wasn't even the same one that we'd sent them; our original one had like 4 usb ports and would play our old PS2 games but the one they sent us back was a newer version with 2 usb ports (not that we used the 4 of them anyway but still) and it only plays PS3 games. I think there was some other stuff different about the new one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DonallFitz

So when one heads out job hunting, should one apply for jobs by handing their CVs in here, there and everywhere, talking to the manager etc. Or just send their CVs in by post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I'm woeful at job hunting but I'd like to try get something for the Summer if it's possible at all. Does anyone have any advice? Loads of people in my year seem to have jobs on the weekends and stuff and they get summer jobs, and I'd love to get something like that. Any advice, past the obvious stuff? Maybe there's some hidden trick, or do I just spam CV's around all of the towns nearby? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

There's a factory 200 metres from my house and im hoping to get in there during the summer. They took on a few lads I know just for last summer, It may involve doing the night shift but they got paid very well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Ah lads you all need a new PS3 so... ;)

Nah I'd actually rather not sell it. I've had in since launch day and we've been through a lot together. 2 YLODs and were still going strong. <3

Just in a massive hole at the moment and have no choice but to try sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Ah lads you all need a new PS3 so... ;)

Nah I'd actually rather not sell it. I've had in since launch day and we've been through a lot together. 2 YLODs and were still going strong. <3

Just in a massive hole at the moment and have no choice but to try sell.

Your parents will know somethings up if you sell your stuff, no?

Hope it works out for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

Your parents will know somethings up if you sell your stuff, no?

Hope it works out for you anyway.

Suppose but it won't really matter once I've got the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

What do ye need the money for?

If you're looking for a job, dress well, have your cv in an envelope, walk in confidently and ask for the manager. When he/she comes, shake their hand and say that you're available for work during the summer. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Methememb wrote: »
    What do ye need the money for?

If you're looking for a job, dress well, have your cv in an envelope, walk in confidently and ask for the manager. When he/she comes, shake their hand and say that you're available for work during the summer. Good luck!
    Define "dress well" :)

Not OTT, jeans and a respectable shirt & shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Not the YLOD! Ours got that about 3 summers ago which led to manys a boring rainy day. We had to sent it away to get it fixed and it took them ages. The one Sony sent us back wasn't even the same one that we'd sent them; our original one had like 4 usb ports and would play our old PS2 games but the one they sent us back was a newer version with 2 usb ports (not that we used the 4 of them anyway but still) and it only plays PS3 games. I think there was some other stuff different about the new one too.

Yeah this is the second time my PS3 got it. It got it around a year ago too. We had brought it into a game shop in town and they fixed it in a day for 50euro ... Don't think I'll bother this time around, I don't play it too much anyways :P

My PS3 won't even turn on now, it's ruined completely.

By the way, about the 'jobhunt' situation, do you guys actually ask to see the manager? I've given CV's into many shops and places around town before but just to the person on the till or whatever. I've never actually asked for the manager, and would feel kinda awkward about asking to see him to be honest. :pac: If it would get me a job though, I suppose I'd be willing to do it! I'm fairly desperate to get on-campus accommodation but I'd need a job (to get money) for that and it's not going well so far. :( Monday after school I'll go head into town and try my luck. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

I'd give practically anything to get a summer job but the way things are looking there's not a hope of anything coming up around here. I seriously need to find a way of getting/making some kind of money for college next year because I hate sponging off mam and dad to pay for everything.

My aim so is the €1000 scholarship from NUIM. The things I could do with that money.......

Thing about it this way: If you worked in a shop and some young lad/girl handed you a CV what would you be thinking? Fcuk them, this is my job, and you'd throw out the CV. That's why its essential to meet the manager. As well as that, the manager will be the one considering you for the job. If he/she has already met you and you've made a good first impression, it increases your chances significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Yeah this is the second time my PS3 got it. It got it around a year ago too. We had brought it into a game shop in town and they fixed it in a day for 50euro ... Don't think I'll bother this time around, I don't play it too much anyways :P

My PS3 won't even turn on now, it's ruined completely.

By the way, about the 'jobhunt' situation, do you guys actually ask to see the manager? I've given CV's into many shops and places around town before but just to the person on the till or whatever. I've never actually asked for the manager, and would feel kinda awkward about asking to see him to be honest. :pac: If it would get me a job though, I suppose I'd be willing to do it! I'm fairly desperate to get on-campus accommodation but I'd need a job (to get money) for that and it's not going well so far. :( Monday after school I'll go head into town and try my luck. :cool:
    Coming from someone who spends their weekends on till people that hand in cvs to the till have a less likely chance of getting an interview than asking for the manager. The manager I handed my cv into ended up hiring me so I think it works better
    Good luck on your job search :)

Ray, Im in the exact same boat about accommodation. Why would anyone commute if they could avoid it? I seriously need to save up, I'd be paying for it myself. Yet my parents are still fcuking discouraging it >:( I'm gonna do everything I can to save as much as possible. College isn't the same if you're not staying up IMO

I don't know how to multiquote so I'll just do them separately :o
    user.name wrote: »
    Coming from someone who spends their weekends on till people that hand in cvs to the till have a less likely chance of getting an interview than asking for the manager. The manager I handed my cv into ended up hiring me so I think it works better
    Good luck on your job search :)

Thanks a million for the advice. I've never imagined what I look like giving my CV to somebody who already works there and obviously doesn't want their job to be in jeopardy. :P I'm going to be sure to ask for the manager next time. :) And another questions, just say the manager wasn't there, would you give the CV to the person working there or else give your number to them and ask them if the manager could contact you? I'd like to make the best impression. If I get any job I'll thank ye for the advice. :D

I think your best bet is to give the CV to the person you're talking to if the manager isn't there.

Methememb wrote: »
    Ray, Im in the exact same boat about accommodation. Why would anyone commute if they could avoid it? I seriously need to save up, I'd be paying for it myself. Yet my parents are still fcuking discouraging it >:( I'm gonna do everything I can to save as much as possible. College isn't the same if you're not staying up IMO

Thanks for the advice! I just realised how stupid I am for just giving it to people on the till. From now on I'll ask for the manager and hopefully my luck changes.. :) Thanks again!

Well commuting honestly wouldn't be an option for me (If I get my first choice) as it is Limerick, and I'm from Galway/Roscommon so it's a fair distance. My dad is suggesting off-campus as it's cheaper, and I can totally understand that, but my fear is that I'll be put into some off-campus which is full of maybe 2nd/3rd/4th years and no 1st years, and that I find it hard to meet people in my own year. I'm really hoping for on-campus so I'd find meeting people easy, and that I know I'd have the best experience possible - off campus that wouldn't be possible in my opinion.

I get the grant, for around €3,000 but it honestly doesn't do too much. That's suppose to get me accommodation AND food AND living expenses? It's a joke. But yeah, I need a job as I have another brother in college and my dad wouldn't be able to afford much with both of us there. I may have to even resort taking Limerick off my CAO cause I won't be able to afford living there, which I find fairly bad, and would dread that.

I understand where you're coming from about commuting. I would honestly hate commuting to college. I realise that you'd get more money and all that (which I'd love), but you'd miss out on a lot to be honest. But then again I can understand some of the financial issues some families are facing and it can be an only choice. But yeah, I'm real desperate for a job.

I don't know how to multiquote so I'll just do them separately :o

Thanks a million for the advice. I've never imagined what I look like giving my CV to somebody who already works there and obviously doesn't want their job to be in jeopardy. :P I'm going to be sure to ask for the manager next time. :) And another questions, just say the manager wasn't there, would you give the CV to the person working there or else give your number to them and ask them if the manager could contact you? I'd like to make the best impression. If I get any job I'll thank ye for the advice. :D
    Well where I work there is always a manager on duty but if you want to make sure you could always ring before hand to make sure. Sure the hiring season is starting up now so get your cvs in its usually busy after being so dead in January. Try penneys online they are meant to start hiring now for spring/summer jobs. Apllying online is also great just stay away from the likes of jobs.ie its a waste of time try just going directly onto the shops website like schuh and McDonalds :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I have a job (well, not working at the moment but it'll be there for me in summer) and if I were job-seeking now I'd definitely give my CV to a manager. Like, anywhere that's hiring is going to get huge volumes of CVs, your best bet is to make some form of positive impression. That said, I got my job purely through nepotism. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

And we have passed the 5000 post mark. Now it's time to up the procrastination to the next level.

New thread by the orals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

decisions wrote: »
    And we have passed the 5000 post mark. Now it's time to up the procrastination to the next level.

New thread by the orals?

And pulled 500 posts in front of the 5th years? Good work team!

In other news a pigeon just flew into my window. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

:D Thats hilarious!

Saw it coming out of the corner of my eye.

And then a big BANG!
    Then it flew off as if nothing happened.

user.name wrote: »
    Well where I work there is always a manager on duty but if you want to make sure you could always ring before hand to make sure. Sure the hiring season is starting up now so get your cvs in its usually busy after being so dead in January. Try penneys online they are meant to start hiring now for spring/summer jobs. Apllying online is also great just stay away from the likes of jobs.ie its a waste of time try just going directly onto the shops website like schuh and McDonalds :-P

Never actually knew you could do apply for jobs online! Thanks for this! It's crap that I live in a small enough town though, I'll have to head to Galway city or Athlone maybe for a job I think..

Thanks for all the advice anyways! :D

Your probably better off looking for work in the city, only problem is more people will be applying for the jobs so you will need to sell yourself more.

Due to health stuff and 6th year holiday I'm not able to work until August which is annoying because I'm going to need the cash. :( and I've nothing on my CV, I'm thinking of teaching myself ECDL then paying for the tests just so I have something.

Anyone got any idea of good, short courses I could do or start after the leaving?

Your probably better off looking for work in the city, only problem is more people will be applying for the jobs so you will need to sell yourself more.

Due to health stuff and 6th year holiday I'm not able to work until August which is annoying because I'm going to need the cash. :( and I've nothing on my CV, I'm thinking of teaching myself ECDL then paying for the tests just so I have something.

Anyone got any idea of good, short courses I could do or start after the leaving?
    If you live in Dublin CCT offer you free computer courses for secondary students and you get a fetac level 5 try www.CCT.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Never actually knew you could do apply for jobs online! Thanks for this! It's crap that I live in a small enough town though, I'll have to head to Galway city or Athlone maybe for a job I think..

Thanks for all the advice anyways! :D

What my advice would be, and I know this will make me sound like an 80's yuppie or something, but network. I have never gotten a job through handing in a CV somewhere (once, nearly, but I fúck that up near the end. Another story :D ), but always through knowing someone who knows someone else, or mentioning something to someone by chance.

My current job I got because I was in a computer shop looking at keyboards, and just from chatting to the man behind the counter I mentioned I fix computers. I find just talking to people will put you within a good chance of getting a job.

Like, something Colm! is doing. Now, admittedly I haven't really been following it, I surmise he's set up a podcast of some sort that's become popular? (please don't shoot me internet denizens!). I would be surprised if that doesn't at least help him get some job/work experience.

• Advertisement

Do stuff like health & safety, first aid, stuff that can be applied in a range of jobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement