Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2012-13 *OFF-TOPIC* (hideaway) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I like 2 of the songs there. They are modern dance-like songs, not the slow ballads like Ireland usually have!

Ye will never guess what happened..

I forgot to hand up my economics short questions today.... -______- so annoyed. Hopefully I can hand them up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I said to Eurovisionmad a while back that I want to do alternate commentary for Eurovision some year, maybe next year. RadioColm x Eurovision would be a ridiculous event on all levels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Colm! wrote: »
    I said to Eurovisionmad a while back that I want to do alternate commentary for Eurovision some year, maybe next year. RadioColm x Eurovision would be a ridiculous event on all levels

Ooooooh do it in 2014, I can be your foreign correspondent!! I'll get you interviews with esteemed people in the Eurovision world like Marty Whelan and Eric Saade (I will be popular!) and Jedward and oh wow I'm barely even joking, it'll be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Slow Show wrote: »
    Ooooooh do it in 2014, I can be your foreign correspondent!! I'll get you interviews with esteemed people in the Eurovision world like Marty Whelan and Eric Saade (I will be popular!) and Jedward and oh wow I'm barely even joking, it'll be amazing!

Ohhhhh Eric Saad*droooolllll*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

If I didn't have so much study to do for my last exam tomorrow morning I'd go listen to the entries, I'll probably listen to them before I go to bed later. I shall return with my verdict later.

I'm a tad bit of a eurovision fanatic. I'm determined to go to it some time. I will get there.

Radio Colm v Eurovision would be unbelievable. Jus' sayin' Next year Colm, next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Slow Show, sounds like a plan.

And yes, this is the lad that I'll end up working with on that project if it ever happens:
    Ohhhhh Eric Saad*droooolllll*

what am I getting myself into

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Perfect combination :)

Perfect combination :)

The word "combination" always reminds me of one of my favourite Eurovision songs ever! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Caramel digestives ftw :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I've studied more today than I have over the past two weeks. Just chemistry to go tomorrow morning then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've studied more today than I have over the past two weeks. Just chemistry to go tomorrow morning then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... for a week.

Complete opposite, I have two left tomorrow and I can't sit still and study at all, I've just made myself believe that the reason I can't study is because I don't need to, and I'll be grand but yeah >.> We'll see how that goes tomorrow. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

It's depressing to hear that everyone is finishing up, I have a whole other week after midterm :O Today's exams were also quite sad, I hate tape tests with an unrivaled passion :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I put my chemistry notes in my study log if anyone's interested.
    Now time for some Breaking Bad :cool:

It's depressing to hear that everyone is finishing up, I have a whole other week after midterm :O Today's exams were also quite sad, I hate tape tests with an unrivaled passion :P

Normally I love a good tape test ;) but we have our pres in one big large hall (the actual LC are in normal classrooms for us) so they put the tape player behind me and I found it incredibly hard to get used to it, I couldn't my finger on why but it just put me off, I did really terrible in both consequently!

Normally I love a good tape test ;) but we have our pres in one big large hall (the actual LC are in normal classrooms for us) so they put the tape player behind me and I found it incredibly hard to get used to it, I couldn't my finger on why but it just put me off, I did really terrible in both consequently!

Normally the Irish ones are okay, but today I just couldn't seem to get my head around the Irish or the French one, it was a bloodbath :confused: Thankfully the written parts went well though :cool:

Normally the Irish ones are okay, but today I just couldn't seem to get my head around the Irish or the French one, it was a bloodbath :confused: Thankfully the written parts went well though :cool:

I just think two times for Irish is just unfair, like you could just genuinely be unlucky and miss a phrase!

I just think two times for Irish is just unfair, like you could just genuinely be unlucky and miss a phrase!

I agree, it's so easy to miss something because you're trying to answer the other questions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I agree, it's so easy to miss something because you're trying to answer the other questions :(
    SO VERY TRUE In Spanish for JC my teacher used to pause the tape every so often so you could finish writing the answer so so so so much better than how it's really done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭bluejay14

Freedom at last.

Although I'm actually going to have to do some study over the midterm because during our geography exam the teacher came around with a revision plan that we have to do over the week......and there was me planning on taking it fairly handy. :(

I would have to papercut my little finger when opening the first page of my exam aswell wouldn't I?! Seriously painful for the first 2 pages of my biome question, right on the bend so it was. Only I would.

Even though the mocks didn't actually go too badly all things considered, thank god they're over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Finished. :D My god that Irish tape was horrible, seriously don't know if I even managed 2/10%. But I don't care. :p

Not going to put too much pressure on myself this week. I think I'm just going to focus on the orals and my music practicals, kind've neglected them recently (sraith pictiuirs :eek:).

Roll on tomorrow night. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Anyone know how long it takes for the mocks to be corrected if they are done with debs and examcraft? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Does any one else find the French written paper really short? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

Finally finished the moccckkksss <3 Seriously need to start back doing HPAT drills and exams now!

Did anyone find the irish tape FLEW? The first part had finished before I properly started listening to the bloody thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Glee_GG wrote: »
    Finally finished the moccckkksss <3 Seriously need to start back doing HPAT drills and exams now!

Did anyone find the irish tape FLEW? The first part had finished before I properly started listening to the bloody thing

When it finished everyone was looking around and I'm pretty sure someone said 'What f*cking language was that?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Could someone help me with this, I've been going through the sample 2013 Maths papers and Question 9 in Paper 2 has me stumped :pac: The one with the regular tetrahedron in a cylinder. I just can't figure it out, would really appreciate if someone could explain it to me :confused:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Higher_Level.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

curly135 wrote: »
    Could someone help me with this, I've been going through the sample 2013 Maths papers and Question 9 in Paper 2 has me stumped :pac: The one with the regular tetrahedron in a cylinder. I just can't figure it out, would really appreciate if someone could explain it to me :confused:

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/LCEV2013/Project_Maths_Phase_2_P2_Higher_Level.pdf
    This is hard to explain. so i'll try steps you need to get a value for r the radius and h the height of the cylinder in terms of a
    1. That black dot in the centre is the centre of the circular base of the cylinder, firstly you need to look at the base of the tetrahedron, this is an equilateral triangle. split this us into 3 smaller triangles by connecting the centre of the circle to each corner of the triangle. Take one of these smaller triangles you have just created. its an isosles triangle, of base 2a( given in the question that all sides of tetrahedron are 2a) base angles are 30 degrees (because you bisected the equilateral triangle) the other angle is 120, and the two sides of length r. Use the sine rule to get a value for r, this works out to be 2a/root 3

2. Now we need to look at the height of the cylinder
    drop a perpendicular down from the top of the tetrahedron to that black circle centre on the base. With the lines on the base representing r from earlier You will now have created a right angle triangle. of hypotenuse 2a, base r and height h, since you know r, find h using Pythagoras, this works out to be (a(root 8)/root 3 )

3. Volume of a cylinder is pi(r^2)(h)
    so subbing your values in pi( 2a/root 3)^2 (a(root 8)/root 3 )
    pi(a(root 8)/root 3 )( 4a^2/3), keep multiplying out, you'll get pi (4a^3 root 8 / 3root3) put this fraction in your calculator( leaving out the pi and a^3, you put them back in the end) and it will simplify it for you down to 8 root 6/ 9 pi a^3

Hope that made sense

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

This is hard to explain. so i'll try steps you need to get a value for r the radius and h the height of the cylinder in terms of a
    1. That black dot in the centre is the centre of the circular base of the cylinder, firstly you need to look at the base of the tetrahedron, this is an equilateral triangle. split this us into 3 smaller triangles by connecting the centre of the circle to each corner of the triangle. Take one of these smaller triangles you have just created. its an isosles triangle, of base 2a( given in the question that all sides of tetrahedron are 2a) base angles are 30 degrees (because you bisected the equilateral triangle) the other angle is 120, and the two sides of length r. Use the sine rule to get a value for r, this works out to be 2a/root 3

2. Now we need to look at the height of the cylinder
    drop a perpendicular down from the top of the tetrahedron to that black circle centre on the base. With the lines on the base representing r from earlier You will now have created a right angle triangle. of hypotenuse 2a, base r and height h, since you know r, find h using Pythagoras, this works out to be (a(root 8)/root 3 )

3. Volume of a cylinder is pi(r^2)(h)
    so subbing your values in pi( 2a/root 3)^2 (a(root 8)/root 3 )
    pi(a(root 8)/root 3 )( 4a^2/3), keep multiplying out, you'll get pi (4a^3 root 8 / 3root3) put this fraction in your calculator( leaving out the pi and a^3, you put them back in the end) and it will simplify it for you down to 8 root 6/ 9 pi a^3

Hope that made sense

Thanks, way easier to understand done out step by step like that :) Found the sample paper straightforward enough, but that was a fairly tricky one.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Is anyone else absolutely wrecked from the mocks? :P I'll probably be sleeping by 9!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

ray2012 wrote: »
    Is anyone else absolutely wrecked from the mocks? :P I'll probably be sleeping by 9!

I've been falling during the day all week! I hope I have a bit more stamina when June comes 'round. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

ray2012 wrote: »
    I'm wrecked and I didn't even sit any mocks :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement