Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Fri - Easy 5.3 miles, 43:50, 8:17 pace

Had a long day on a stand at the Ploughing Championships on Thursday, so passed on the run that night (Great to see a bit of optimism around for a change!)

Went out last night a little bit faster and was pleased to see there was no reaction.

Sat - Easy 8.3 miles, 1:11:17, 8:34 pace

Found this harder work than I would have expected, not sure why. Reverted back to new shoes as I felt a twinge in left arch for the last mile or so last night, no problems today.

Must try a proper LSR tomorrow not sure what distance. Longest run this year has been 16 miles and that was back in May :eek:

LSR 18.1 miles, 2:46:13, 9:11 pace

A real make-it-up-as-you-go-along LSR, didn't have a particular distance or pace in mind, just went with the flow on the basis of how I felt.

Legs felt sore after past couple of days but loosened up after 4/5 miles, got tired again after about 10 miles and it was then a slog to the finish.

Still, done now and legs don't feel too bad and only an odd twinge from achilles so all good. 45-mile week, beginning to resemble marathon training for once. Just realised only 3 more LSRs before Dublin and this was my first one :eek:

Watched the Berlin run on good old Sky+ this evening, coverage was very poor given they had sold it on internationally, didn't get any real sense of the pace the runners were travelling, World record pace too! Well done to all the Boardsies who took part, I'd say the experience was something else.:)

Highlight of the day - getting home from the run 10 minutes before the heavens opened;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nice going on the 18+ miler! You must be thrilled it all went well, and more importantly, that the body held up :) Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Well done on the big run, it gives a massive confidence boost.

Easy 5.3 miles, 44:30, 8:21 pace

Skipped yesterday as tied up heavily at work, legs felt OK after Sunday which was good.

Plan is to do a medium run tomorrow so took it steady today and concentrated on running relaxed and seeing how the achilles felt. Best run, leg-wise, in a while, didn't push too hard all the same - progess in the right direction.:)

• Advertisement

Medium run, 10.87 miles, 1:34:04, 8:50 pace

P&D pace was 8.50 so spot on but real story was somewhat different.

Legs felt sore after yesterday, particularly achilles, rolled along for 4 miles, felt better, but by 6 miles felt like quitting. Dug in and kept going, sore calves, knees hamstrings and eventually in last half mile - achilles. Not good, iced when got home and remains to be seen what it will be like in the morning.

Run was much harder than it should have been, maybe it is simply the lack of miles in the legs as the shorter runs are fine.

Still, look on the bright side, at least I am out running:)

Need to catch up here. Work took over for the past week, financial year end, stocktaking all weekend, etc (God, I hate stocktaking:mad: - even got in the way of the rugby:eek:). Given that, I still shoe-horned in the runs, most of them after dark in country lanes.

Thurs, recovery 5.3 miles, 47:15, 8:55 pace

In Dublin's Costa weather for the day and back to a misty, drizzly, dreary, dark run. Gave a couple of old fellas out for a walk the fright of their lives. Thought they heard me coming so did not shout but they caught a glimpse of the bright yellow jacket coming by and I nearly got a wallop from a walking stick for my trouble - but I was too fast;)

Sat, medium 10.1 miles, 1:25:30, 8:29 pace

Supposed to be faster than this but achilles will not settle and was reluctant to push on too hard. Happy enough ahead of planned LSR. Weather absolutely s*!t, has hardly stopped misting, raining, drizzling since this day last week, bad at the best of times but to look at what Dublin and rest of Europe has been getting:mad: Sunny south-east, my a*$e!!

Sun, LSR, 20.1 miles, 3:00:46, 8:59 pace

Had no idea how this would go, first 20-miler of the year, decided to try for 9 min/mile - and succeeded! Mist and drizzle, now there is a surprise! Found it generally hard, starting out had planned to have been doing Athlone this weekend but once plan went awry decided that was a step too soon. I was right about that, could have stepped it up but would have burned out for sure. Not enough good miles in the legs and would worry about Dublin as a consequence. Realistically, unless there is a miracle, 3:30 is a goner and even 3:45 is looking tough.

Today, recovery, 5.3 miles, 46:00, 8:41 pace (no Garmin)

Watch was acting funny so threw it there and ran without it. Paced out of my head/legs, knew in my heart it was probably too fast but felt OK after Sunday, few niggles but nothing too serious.

Over 40 miles since last post, how bad? Really just glad to be out there - and the sun is back (at least till it set:P)

Great going on the 20 miler slowsteady, you have certainly come back from injury in great style! Keep up the good work :)

Medium, 8.83 miles, 1:13:00, 8:16 pace

Supposed to be a VO max run according to the plan but that has largely gone out the window at this point. Trying to parallel the mileage but not able for the faster runs just yet.

Went out with the intention of pushing along to see what happened, hoping things were improving. First 3 miles took it easy as it was largely uphill, average pace 8:40, felt comfortable so pushed a bit and hit 8:08 over the next 3 milesfinishing off with 8:00 for the rest of the run.

Overall had to be pleased with the run but legs found it tough enough. Still progressing in the right direction:)

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 46:00, 8:41 pace

Took it easy after last night, no Garmin, legs felt tired but turned them over at a comfortable pace.

Next run will be Saturday pm as appointment book filled that morning:p. Rest should do them good.

• Advertisement

Medium 10.05 miles, 1:23:19, 8:17 pace

Ran this with heartrate mistakenly showing on the Garmin and wouldn't stop to change it.:confused: Average started at 181 for first mile:eek: but settled down quickly after that in the range 141 - 151 depending whether I was going uphill or downhill, overall average 146.

Legs felt good once the initial stiffness had worn off and were fine unless I tried to up the run above 8:00 pace. Once I try this I can feel the left achilles start to kick up and have to drop it back.

Good run but probably too fast with the LSR tomorrow.;) Best run in some time so happy enough.

Lovely afternoon but disappointing day given the rugby - still pitch black here at 7am, where has the light gone?

LSR 20.11 miles, 3:09:15, 9:25 pace

Given I kicked this off just over 12 hours after yesterday's run this was always likely to be hard and so it proved.

Lovely morning but started out in the near-dark at 7.15am with safety jacket, at halfway lost the jacket and put on the shades (have to look the part, despite the beetroot red face:P)

I did it in two 10 miles loops, stopping for a bar and drink mid-run. The legs were stiff starting out but settled down and knocked out the first loop at 9:12 pace. Felt very reluctant to go out on the second loop as I could feel the cumulative effect of 20 miles in 14 hours but knuckled down and rolled out again (it was helpful that the first mile was downhill:)). Was a hard slog at 9:42 but it is done and two days off for the legs to recover as will leave next run to Tues night.

Not the most sensible planning but the good news is that the legs held up and, barring further injury, should be good for the run in to the DCM.

Recovery 5.3 miles, 46:25, 8:25 pace

The OP of this log contemplated calling it 'How not to Train for a Marathon' and this was a case in point.

Very late home from work, fish & chip dinner on the table, ate it to be sociable with the family, tea & bikkies to follow:o. By this time soccer started, usual stuff, so pulled out the gear and dressed while watching. Once keeper was sent off knew where it was likely to be going so headed out.

Well dark by this time, country lanes, in theory nothing but rats (grain on the roadside:eek:) and bats for company. More cars than expected, just started and had to pull in for one vehicle, got a loving kiss on the leg from a bunch of nettles (nice rash now). Dry starting out but drizzle and light rain came down and still had my glasses on! Road was greasy from mud put down by recent tractor traffic so footing, I now couldn't see, was uncertain.

Came up behind the two old fellas I scared half to death last week so I called out this time and stopped to apologise. By the time I got back to the last third of the loop the rain was pouring and the pools on the road were everywhere so ended up drowned and running pretty much blind.

Not ideal, in any sense, but done. Do better tomorrow:rolleyes:

Tempo 8.83 miles, 1:10:48, 8:01 pace

Decided to go into town (where there are a few lights!) to do tonight's run. Did most of the 10 mile route in the Run for Life this weekend but starting and finishing at Superquinn.

Nice evening for it, calm and warm, legs felt a bit heavy but pushed it out to see what happened. Kept up a brisk pace as still have no real idea what I should aim for in the DCM as have done no hard runs in some time.

Didn't follow Garmin but ran on feel. Noticed that when I tried to push hard on the hills the achilles immediately kicked so had to drop back to a steady tempo.

Happy with the pace, slightly surprised to be honest, didn't think I could hold that but there you are - if I could do it again on the weekend I would be twice as happy - might do the race after all:)

Recovery 5.3 miles, 46:11, 8:32 pace

Thought I would feel a lot worse after yesterday but was OK. Signed up for 10 miler on Sunday on the strength of it.

Went out for a recovery run tonight felt easy enough. Sun was shining everywhere else bar Waterford but at least it was only misty:(.

Delighted the achilles is holding up. You must be very relieved!

Best of luck for Sunday. Are you going to use it as a pmp run? Mind that achilles on those uphill drags ;)

RubyK wrote: »
    Best of luck for Sunday. Are you going to use it as a pmp run? Mind that achilles on those uphill drags ;)

That's the plan - what the pmp should be is the issue - I don't worry about the achilles, it talks for itself these days:D

Forecast was good but now looks more mixed, settle for just being dry.

slowsteady wrote: »
    That's the plan - what the pmp should be is the issue - I don't worry about the achilles, it talks for itself these days:D Forecast was good but now looks more mixed, settle for just being dry.

Just be careful not too get caught up in the atmosphere and push it too much, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that ;) Eyes on the prize - DCM'11!

On the weather front, I'll settle for no wind. I don't fancy battling head on winds on the outer-ring round :eek:

Medium 10.05 miles, 1:30:21, 9.00 pace

Because of the lack of miles in the legs I wanted to get some good runs in this weekend before tapering to the month end. Unfortunately the race P&D recommend for this weekend is on tomorrow when I should be doing my 20 mile LSR so if I was to swap around I would have no chance with a 20-miler in the legs.

Compromise was to do today's run at a steady pace, hoping it doesn't take too much out of me and tack on a bit to the 10-mile gallop tomorrow - so that is the plan.

Got up this morning not sure whether to run before or after the rugby but felt tired so left it to later. 15 minutes into the game Warburton gets sent off and any chance of a classic goes with him. Decided then to catch the highlights later and pulled on the gear.

Quick check on Met Eireann http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp showed the worst of the rain to be a while away so headed out into the mist and drizzle.

Legs felt very heavy and tired but, having averaged 50 miles a week for the past month, it is not too surprising. Taper should do some good hopefully. Put the Garmin on 9 min pace and stuck to it like glue. Have always found this hard to do as the first couple of miles are generally downhill but no real trouble today. Had to keep focused on form as going at this pace I have a tendency to heel-strike which, with my achilles problem, is not good.

Pleasant enough run, mist and showers came and went, a day like this might be OK in Dublin, for the runners if not the TV or spectators.

Legs felt better at the end of the run than the beginning so hope they continue to improve for tomorrow.

10 mile race, 75 minutes, 7:30 pace
    Eyes on the prize - DCM'11!

Plan was to run on feel but as I had done most of the route earlier in the week at around 8:00 pace I wanted to do it at that or slightly better. Purpose was to try and find where I was at for pacing Dublin because with the disruption I have had in training I have no real idea what to aim for (heart says 3:30, head says 3:45, legs say 4:00:confused:).

After yesterday when the mist and drizzle never lifted, today was dry, bright, sunny, slight breeze, ideal running weather. Kids and OH were off to Irish dancing competition and by the time I had the eldest sorted (20 questions just as you are leaving:mad:) I was chasing into town. Intended to spend 10/15 minutes warming up/stretching but got to assemby area to find everyone lining up for the off:eek:. Started early by the Garmin and at least 3 runners passed me saying they had missed the start.

Had started well back as there was no chance of getting up the field, there were well over a thousand entered, so spent the first half mile running down the pavement to avoid colliding with the aspiring Kate Veale types (only slower:p). Still beat out mile 1 in 7:16, eased out the next in 7:33 and for the two uphill miles averaged 7:50, mile 5 was downhill so back up to 7:15 - so much for the slightly better than 8:00.

I did a mental inventory at that point, legs felt OK after yesterday so no issue there, breathing was OK, could I keep it up (the running, the running:D)? If so, one of my big targets for the year, which had gone by the wayside, 75 minutes for 10 miles, was on.

Mile 6 is downhill, 7:20, but 7 and 8 are up again, 7:42 and 7.47. Picked off runners as a way of holding the pace because if I don't I find myself settling back into something more comfortable. Following Raycun's philosophy of finding a reason why I should be ahead of them I decided all those in dayglow orange tops deserved to be passed for showing off - only problem was 75% of everybody was wearing them:) - ambitious huh!

On mile 8 hill I began to feel the left calf start to tighten so consciously eased off the pace and it went away after a while. Downhill for most of the rest so kept the legs turning and picked off a few more tops on mile 9, 7:20.

Last mile, now was the time to behave, settle for 75 something or 76 something, don't go mad, no sprints, place doesn't matter, time doesn't really matter, staying fit does. In the previous 6 miles only 3 had passed me but with half a mile to go another 3 swept by in a couple of seconds, let them go! I was very good, picked off one more runner, wearing a yellow top, but it was dayglow:p, and kept the pace steady to the final turn.

Last 80 yards and clock read 1:14:4x, what?, I can beat 75 min or can I?, by the time the message got from brain to legs another 50 yards was gone and as I came in it was 1:14:59 or maybe one more. the Garmin read 1:15:04 but I started that before the line with all the crowd. Either way I am taking 75 dead:rolleyes:

Very pleased as I would have settled for anything below 80 minutes but it now gives me a base to do some planning from.

Had planned to go on and do another few miles to make a LSR out of it but as I ran it harder than planned and I could feel a small blister on one foot it was enough of an excuse to call it a day and enjoy one target achieved - all be it, unexpectedly.

Changed into the dayglow orange now I was finished:P

• Advertisement

Nice running slowsteady! You must be delighted with that preformance. It's a tough route. Confidence must be boosted for DCM after that.

Recovery 5.17 miles, 46:35, 9:01 pace
    Nice running slowsteady! You must be delighted with that preformance. It's a tough route. Confidence must be boosted for DCM after that.

Thanks for that RK, second best run of the year for me, timing is good. Dilemma now is to settle on a target time for DCM.

Legs were stiff enough for the past couple of days, sure sign I stressed them on Sunday:p. Felt the shoulder for the first time in a while:( settled down today but one to watch.

Cool night for a run went out in the usual gear but never broke sweat, knees and arms felt the slight breeze - need to christen the gear picked up in Aldi last week tomorrow, due to be colder again. Legs felt heavy tonight combination of the race and the slow pace - after misbehaving on Sunday need to follow the taper and avoid injury - again:o.

As I have done since the start of this log, did things the wrong way around. Got home from work, had a porksteak dinner, followed by regulation teapot of tea and half pack of biscuits:o and then went running.

Tempo/Intervals 8.33 miles, 1:10:11, 8:27 pace

Planned to do this run last night but a call from home to say we had no water put paid to that. By the time we had the fault sorted out it was 8pm and cold enough to put anyone off.

Tonight was at least 7 or 8 degrees warmer but even though I was out by 5.45 it was still nearly pitch black by the time I was finished, country road running is nearly done till I get some kind of light.

Alternated steady miles around 9 minutes with tempo miles around 8 minutes. 'Around' is a generous description, tempo varied between 7:38 and 8:22 but as this run is almost entirely up or down hill it will always be erratic. Good thing was that I felt strong on the hills and was able to attack them easily on the tempo parts of the run.

Slow to warm up, knees felt cold for quite some time, need to put on the leggings. Twinges in hams and calves and achilles was a constant niggle but, along with the shoulder, nothing serious - taper symptoms already?:rolleyes:

Feel legs could benefit from the rest now, 254 miles in past 5 weeks and a bit - but a total of 5 miles :eek: in previous 4 weeks!

Recovery 5.3 miles, 47:03, 8:53 pace

Knees ached after yesterday so as this was a recovery run had no problem keeping the pace down. Wore the new compression gear from Aldi as it felt cold enough, not sure how I will go with it as it felt very constricting towards what I have been used to - kept me warm though:).

Felt in need of a rest even more than yesterday - taper time!

Medium 10.05 miles, 1:27:40, 8:43 pace

Thought I drew the short straw here, lots of DCMer's did this last medium run yesterday when, here at least, the weather was damp but acceptable in the morning. Forecast for today was lashing down with gale force winds so expected a rough run.

Got up before the dawn and was out on the roads at 7am, encouraged by the fact that it hadn't started to rain as yet. In fact got around and inside again with 30 minutes to spare before the heavens opened - and no wind:P
    Quick shower and was sitting down to the brekkie just in time for kick-off (which was just as well as I forgot to record the match:o)

Ankles and knees felt very stiff and creaky for most of the run, I put this down to the legacy of last Sunday's race and the intervals on Thursday but it could have been all in the head. Kept the pace very disciplined and even trimmed a couple of miles off the 12 in the programme as I told myself they would add nothing at this point and the legs need more rest than miles.

Legs feel better all day so maybe this morning did them good.

Passed into town this afternoon in the middle of a mini-typhoon and there was one poor girl running directly into the face of it on the dual-carriageway, no shelter of any description, fair dues for dedication - must be running next week!

Recovery 5.3 miles, 43:49, 8:16 pace

Recovery? - oops, I did it again:o

First run since early Sunday, nearly 2 and half days. Started out with feet and achilles fairly stiff and spent so much time concentrating on the feel of each step I forgot the pace, now it is downhill but 7:16 is a touch too fast and that included a stand-off with my two favourite terriers:rolleyes:. I wore my newly acquired day-glow orange top, so bright I'd say you could see me coming around corners:D, so the dogs got plenty of notice of my arrival. These were the pair that helped aggravate my original achilles problem so we have history. This time they stood down but it always adds a bit of excitement to the run.

Relaxed the pace as the run went on and could feel the benefit of the extra rest, just need to give myself a bit more of it:) - no more sub-8:30 mileage and ideally 9:00 plus for the rest of the week.

Recovery 5.3 miles, 46:52, 8:51 pace

Slow as it should be but very hard which makes no sense. Hit out at 5:15pm with the sun shining but getting cool. With the pace I was slow to warm up, in fact my legs never really got going at all. Consequently the left achilles which usually settles down after a couple of miles never relaxed out the whole trip and by the last half mile the right one joined it:eek:. Not happy limiting the pace but can see why, average HR down at 131 and hardly broke sweat, did not enjoy the run one bit. Legs fine now.

The last evening run before the winter really sets in with the change in the clocks and it ended with me plodding running into a blazing setting sun:p

Best of luck on Monday! You've worked damn hard to get to the startline, after your surgery/injury problems.

No doubt you're going to run a great race! Enjoy the celebrations!

Best of luck on Monday! You've worked damn hard to get to the startline, after your surgery/injury problems.

No doubt you're going to run a great race! Enjoy the celebrations!

Thanks RubyK, I hope you are right!

It's been a struggle, harder than I had expected. The surgery fine, the slow recovery was to be expected, but the achilles is the one that has really thrown me. It is still not right and wrecked any chance of picking up the P&D programme I was following, so where that leaves me for Monday I genuinely don't know.

If I have a good race it will all be forgotten, if I have a bad race it will be....forgotten as well:rolleyes: - the half is up in 5 weeks:p.

Thanks for the good wishes and think of all the Boardsies while you cuddle up to the fire, warm and dry (in front of the telly?) on Monday.

• Advertisement

Recovery 3.39 miles, 28:43, 8:28 pace

This last run was originally to be tomorrow morning but as it is likely to be raining I decided to do it tonight in the dry - getting soaked once over the weekend will be enough - I saw the forecast!:)

Left achilles started stiff and finished much the same way, has not improved or got worse for a couple of weeks now, worked with it and it worked with me, so happy enough. I am hoping that, like the 10-mile race I did a couple of weeks ago, it will be alright on the day.

Am I ready? Does it matter? I am committed anyway:D

Good luck to everyone running and may you all get the result you want - and enjoy it!!:p

Advertisement