Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams of the Apocalypse

Options
  • 01-06-2011 5:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

So I have this recurring dream, well, it's not the same dream really, more like a recurring theme.

I dream about all sorts of things, some themes are recurring but I can make sense of most of them.

That being said there is a 'type' of dream I have that I just don't understand. In these dreams, it is the apocalypse. I never know it's the apocalypse, a regular random dream just gets interrupted by a nuclear explosion, biblical floods, comets, or whathaveyou. I enjoy the flood ones, because it looks really amazing, but the nuclear explosion ones are... a little scary. It's really intense and realistic, starting with a flash and ending in me feeling like I am being burnt alive. What strikes me most about these dreams is the emotion. The emotion felt by me and expressed by loved ones as the mushroom cloud's shockwave rushes closer and closer. It's like... horror at first, followed by a sadness, and then acceptance. Which is how I would probably react in real life. I wake up shortly after I 'die' in the dream.

So eh... why the hell am I dreaming about that? Most dreams I have I can make sense out of. Like, usually I can see how my subconscious is trying to figure something out or prepare me for a situation I have not yet faced but... the apocalypse? really? Is it possible my subconscious has decided this world could likely end in my lifetime and is trying to prepare me?

tldr: what do dreams of the apocalypse mean?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

So I have this recurring dream, well, it's not the same dream really, more like a recurring theme.

I dream about all sorts of things, some themes are recurring but I can make sense of most of them.

That being said there is a 'type' of dream I have that I just don't understand. In these dreams, it is the apocalypse. I never know it's the apocalypse, a regular random dream just gets interrupted by a nuclear explosion, biblical floods, comets, or whathaveyou. I enjoy the flood ones, because it looks really amazing, but the nuclear explosion ones are... a little scary. It's really intense and realistic, starting with a flash and ending in me feeling like I am being burnt alive. What strikes me most about these dreams is the emotion. The emotion felt by me and expressed by loved ones as the mushroom cloud's shockwave rushes closer and closer. It's like... horror at first, followed by a sadness, and then acceptance. Which is how I would probably react in real life. I wake up shortly after I 'die' in the dream.

So eh... why the hell am I dreaming about that? Most dreams I have I can make sense out of. Like, usually I can see how my subconscious is trying to figure something out or prepare me for a situation I have not yet faced but... the apocalypse? really? Is it possible my subconscious has decided this world could likely end in my lifetime and is trying to prepare me?

tldr: what do dreams of the apocalypse mean?

Only seeing your post OP, but I have these too. the most frequent one, and scariest of all is just everything going on at once, planes falling out of the sky and hitting my house (after this, the first doc I'd seen on the shifting magnetic north freaked me out), fireballs coming from the sky with us all eventually frying before a massive explosion.

I absolutely cannot watch apolcalpse films. fictional or not, it gets too close to home on the dreams front.

I'd like to think that it has something to do with an end to one aspect in your life an the beginning of a new (in the same way a death dream might), but the dreams are far too sinister and realistic to be that simple imo :/

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Yep-I've had them too. Well not as graphic as yours OP but the same heavy ominous feeling. In mine I walked out of a house, looked up to the sight of thousands of birds flying over head. All going the one way,very fast. I stood and knew it was not a good thing,something awful, the end was on its way. It doesn't sound as bad as it was,it really shook me when I awoke. It has stayed with me too.I guess there are so many factors involved in what we dream. I can only hope this dream was just my subconscious letting go of any badness, clearing the way for new beginnings. Hopefully!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I had one where i looked up at the sky and there were hundreds of missiles overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I dream mainly that the earth goes on fire, nuke or something as such. Also flooding. I also have ones where aliens invade but there really angles and they separate good from the bad. Weird stuff mainly from the religion i was taught as a kid, still lurking in the bad of my mind.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dreamgirl18

Wow....I thought I was the only one who had apocalypse dreams!
    I hate them..always wake up terrified

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

I have started having these all the time; particularly in the last year or so. Like the OP, I've covered nearly all bases - the most vivid being an impact event (meteorite), but everything from nuclear war to extra-terrestrial attack (!) in between. No matter how bizarre the scenario, what gets me most is the veracity of the emotion involved. In my dreams, when the world is ending, it feels exactly how I imagine I would react in this kind of situation. First there is an intense fear/panic, then a sadness (especially if I'm not with my loved ones) and then a resigned preparation for death. It does not good wake-up material make.

I'm not a morbid person, so I'm not sure why these doomsday dreams are repeatedly creeping their way into my subconsciousness. I know they're altogether unreliable, but dream dictionaries suggest that these kind of dreams are more frequent in times of great change - a few even mentioning economic climate? I don't know. Its good to know I'm not dying alone every night anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I thought I was the only one!

I sometimes have dreams involving several of the themes outlined by above posters. Fireballs, mushroom clouds, missiles, religious imagery (demons leaping into the air like Sonic the Hedgehog 'gyroscoped' and smashing into cities, resulting in atomic clouds rising up). Mainly nuclear war imagery. I think they were influenced by some of the 80s apocalyptic films, along with 70s and 80s disaster movies in my childhood.

I always try to look at the sky in my dreams, when I 'remember' to, so I can see the amazingly different planet-filled sky.

Hello crazy dreams tonight! :eek:

Advertisement