Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household charge

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kingstown

Did pay it on time (albeit the last day) but they still haven't lodged the cheque - thought they needed the money.....
    Now i am beginning to worry that my form and cheque wasn't received at all - lost in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

ardmacha wrote: »
    The regulatory failure was a consequence of government policy. However, we rolled over too easily at that time by guaranteeing everything.

What government policy are you talking about?

The regulatory failure is down to a failure by the then Regulator to do his job - no matter what the pressure - he looked for the job, appeared to have the requisite qualifications and got the job for which he was very highly paid.

He wasn't just a chief clerk, there to do his masters bidding, but a highly paid professional whose job was to act independently of Government on matters of Financial Regulation.

He eventually stepped down on the specifics of Anglo Directors' loans.

Let's not confuse issues, when highly paid officials fall down on the job, they are responsible and have to carry the can. To think otherwise is a recipe for chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Madbod

golfwallah wrote: »

Let's not confuse issues, when highly paid officials fall down on the job, they are responsible and have to carry the can. To think otherwise is a recipe for chaos.

I agree completely with you and what you say reminds me of when Bertie said he couldn't be held responsible for every failure of the civil service (or something similar, he may have been speaking about the HSE)

his comments made me laugh as i reached for my baseball bat.. but i spose he was right after all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

golfwallah wrote: »

Yeah they really stuck the knife in too --> Regulator gets the chop

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

Yeah they really stuck the knife in too --> Regulator gets the chop

Nate

Agreed, you have a point as regards big payoffs for senior people who screwed up and had no price to pay other than the embarrassment of losing their jobs and a bit of negative publicity.

But we are now going off topic as regards household charges.

Perhaps, I'll start another thread on the issue of accountability for such massive mistakes, moral hazard, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Can we close this thread now seeing as the people refused the opportunity to vote "no" to the household charge despite being invited to do so by many posters on lamposts?

Advertisement