Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

Jesus! One of the worst ive seen, the cushioned control panel is new to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

32" screen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jesus! One of the worst ive seen, the cushioned control panel is new to me

Yeah it's got ripples in it, also where do you put your wrists when pressing buttons, mid air.

Don't see what's so unrealistic about 1600 tbh.
    Those thousands of games don't license themselves y'know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

eddhorse wrote: »

We have a winner
    Lock the thread, nothing will beat this:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We have a winner
    Lock the thread, nothing will beat this:eek:

Ah now, how can you say that with so many truly ill-advised homebuilds posted here?
    When you think there's no lower to sink along comes someone who not only built an arcade into something unlikely, but then want's to charge someone else the price of a Pony to take it off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 arcadeblasters

I trimmed a control panel in leatherette before, might not be everyone's cup of tea but id say if there was any kind of foam underneath things are gonna get warm and sweaty.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah now, how can you say that with so many truly ill-advised homebuilds posted here?
    When you think there's no lower to sink along comes someone who not only built an arcade into something unlikely, but then want's to charge someone else the price of a Pony to take it off their hands.

How do they justify it, don't get me wrong, its a lovely drinks cabinet, but €1600. I love the comments too:D
    I fully believe when they come down from the acid they are gonna feel pretty embarrassed:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

eddhorse wrote: »

Wooden box, pc inside, some sticks and buttons, €1600. Seems a deal?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Takes me back to my childhood when I played a sofa with a wide screen tv in the arcades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Inviere wrote: »

How much would cabinet materials cost? The hardware components shouldn't be that expensive. Of course it depends what they have in there, but any PC in the last 10 years should be able to run emulators.

A budget brand 32" can be had new for €180 or step up to an LG for €250. A bare bones 3.8GHz quad-core Intel i3, 4GB Corsair DDR4 setup including mouse, keyboard and speakers would cost about €350. I'm not familiar with arcade controls, but they don't look as robust as the €150 X-Arcade ones.

Purely speculating however. But given the history of Adverts cabs, they're all lousy looking.

If your building out of good materials its 60e a sheet of birch ply.
    That cabinet has about 8 full sheets of mdf:D
    probably weights 1000kg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How much would cabinet materials cost? The hardware components shouldn't be that expensive. Of course it depends what they have in there, but any PC in the last 10 years should be able to run emulators.

A budget brand 32" can be had new for €180 or step up to an LG for €250. A bare bones 3.8GHz quad-core Intel i3, 4GB Corsair DDR4 setup including mouse, keyboard and speakers would cost about €350. I'm not familiar with arcade controls, but they don't look as robust as the €150 X-Arcade ones.

Purely speculating however. But given the history of Adverts cabs, they're all lousy looking.

Cabinet materials plus the work involved in putting it together are more or less moot when it comes to DIY cabs....you never make that back on something like this. So the cost of what is likely a basic 32" screen, a Pi for the games shown in the ad (there may be more complex ones, we can only go on what we see), and some cheap/rubbish controls. It's a long, long, LONG, way, from €1600.

Yep 100% agree with above,
    Thats how you value home made cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

All I can say is bring on the Arcade1UP sit down cabs. That should help drop the prices of these overpriced cabs by offering stiff competition on the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I agree with above comments, you will never make back what you put into either DIY cabinets or even sometimes dedicated cabinets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    .... Pony to take it off their hands.
    Foe a minute I went full 'lock stock' and thought you meant 25 quid in cockney slang there..
    (Its a candy cab right?)

If your building out of good materials its 60e a sheet of birch ply.
    That cabinet has about 8 full sheets of mdf:D
    probably weights 1000kg
    That means it's good, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That means it's good, right?

Good value too. You can't beat €1.60 a kilo.

Good value too. You can't beat €1.60 a kilo.

Cheaper than Ryan air

• Advertisement

Im over in the Netherlands for a few days and I've just seen streets of rage 2 in a retro gaming shop for €72.
    Sorry I have no picture but if I'm back there again tomorrow I'll take one

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/arcade-cabinet-running-on-xbox-360/15812169

Based on cutting edge hardware like the 360, he should be asking more!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Inviere wrote: »

Agreed on costs. Finally got around to putting my diy cab together. Only a 1 player cp, and had an ancient pc (think along the lines of a 50 euro thing from a charity shop). Was less than $200 (I'm in the usa).
    Genuine sanwa stick and buttons. 20" screen. Painted but no decals/overlays.
    I'd put up a pic but my woodworking skills are horrendous! Semi gloss black hides a multitude of sins

M.

mm_surf wrote: »
    Agreed on costs. Finally got around to putting my diy cab together. Only a 1 player cp, and had an ancient pc (think along the lines of a 50 euro thing from a charity shop). Was less than $200 (I'm in the usa).
    Genuine sanwa stick and buttons. 20" screen. Painted but no decals/overlays.
    I'd put up a pic but my woodworking skills are horrendous! Semi gloss black hides a multitude of sins

M.

are real cabs not ten a penny in the us?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mm_surf

are real cabs not ten a penny in the us?

Locally its worse than adverts. There's great availability from the likes of coinop warehouse, but cheap? No. Well, not less than $300.
    Shipping across a few states runs to about $300-400.
    So even if i got a "beater" to convert to mame or whatever, it'd be easily $400 before a single part is needed.
    I'll keep an eye out of course, but in the meantime Thomas still needs to save Sylvia ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not that I condone piracy but you could just get a Dreamcast for €70 and buy a pack of 50 CDs for €15. I also don't think it's very hard to get a console that plays backups...

I like music in my games though, so buying games has an advantage :)

Advertisement