Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious persecution in Ireland

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In total 1357 Victoria Crosses have been awarded, of these 188 recipients are either born in Ireland or have Irish parentage.

52 awarded during the Indian mutiny, 46 between then and 1914, 37 in WWI and 8 in WWII. The best known is probably Eugene Esmonde.

For every Paddy Mayne that should have been awarded a VC but wasn't, there was most likely a Tommy Mayne, a Donald Mayne, a Sanjay Mayne or a Rhys Mayne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

For every Paddy Mayne that should have been awarded a VC but wasn't, there was most likely a Tommy Mayne, a Donald Mayne, a Sanjay Mayne or a Rhys Mayne.

So you concede then that Paddy should have gotten a VC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

CDfm wrote: »
    So you concede then that Paddy should have gotten a VC.

By the sounds of things yes. I don't think I ever claimed otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

By the sounds of things yes. I don't think I ever claimed otherwise.

Ah yes, well if he had been Scottish ;)

http://www.stuart.patterson1.btinternet.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

I always thought Martin doyle should have got 2 Vc's for this action.

Martin Doyle, M.M., Company Sergeant-Major, No. 10864, 1st Battalion Munster Fusiliers (New Ross, County Wexford). On September 2nd, 1918, near Riencourt, as Acting Company Sergeant-Major, command of the company devolved upon him consequent on officer casualties. Observing that some of our men were surrounded by the enemy, he led a party to their assistance, and by skill and leadership worked his way along the trenches, killed several of the enemy and extricated the party, carrying back under heavy fire a wounded officer to a place of safety. Later, seeing a tank in difficulties, he rushed forward under an intense fire, routed the enemy who were attempting to get into it, and prevented the advance of another enemy party collecting for a further attack on the tank. An enemy machine gun now opened on the tank at close range, rendering it impossible to get the wounded away, whereupon Company Sergeant-Major Doyle, with great gallantry, rushed forward, and, single-handed, silenced the machine gun, capturing it with three prisoners He then carried a wounded man to safety under a very heavy fire. Later in the day, when the enemy counter-attacked his position, he showed great power of command, driving back the enemy, and capturing many prisoners. Throughout the whole of these operations Company Sergeant-Major Doyle set the very highest example to all ranks by his courage and total disregard of danger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement