Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFR Photographic Scenery Generation X-Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Wow somethings very wrong if it took 11 hours...maybe email their support contact?

Let me know how you go as Santy was maybe going to get me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Can't remember how long it took me to install mine...certainly nothing like 11 hours though (around an hour or two at a guess). If you are running ORBX scenery set the global region to default under FTX Central before installing the disks. After install I'd recommend doing a full defrag of your hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

pclancy wrote: »
    Wow somethings very wrong if it took 11 hours...maybe email their support contact?

Let me know how you go as Santy was maybe going to get me this.

Yeah, I got in contact with the crowd I bought it from and they are sending me out disk 2 again no hassles. I tried copying the contents from the discs to an image that I could mount and install from there and again disc 2 was the only one that wouldn't copy correctly either so I'm pretty sure something is corrupted on it.

I'll reinstall it when the new disc arrives and let you know.

Flightstore.co.uk were very good, I received a full set of all the installation CDs today, it all installed in half an hour and works fine. My only problem I think is with the quality of the product itself. I don't think the images are of a high enough resolution to be useful if flying under 1500. You can make stuff out, but it's not pretty. I was hoping to use it to practice my circuits around Coonagh. But then again it might be sufficient, I need to spend more time with it. The scenery is quite outdated. I flew over my house and you could see the shopping centre beside it under construction, which means the images were taken when I was doing my junior cert..... To put that into perspective, I'm now in the 2nd year of my PhD!!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the photo tiles are around 7 years out of date and the "building boom" was in full swing then..hence the scenery looks a bit out of place today. I find the scenery is very good quaility at 2k feet+, with realistic weather enabled (I use REX for this). For Irish airfields I'd recommend getting George Keogh's brilliant scenery packs (available on Avsim.com and Flightsim.com etc) with the main airports of EIDW,EINN and EICK being covered by Eiresim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

I'm undecided on whether to get this or not... Does it also have night lighting? If so, can somebody upload a pic please? I can't seem to find any online...

When you say night lighting, do you mean if the road network is lit up too? I found a good tutorial for importing Google satellite data into FSX. Since you're in UL according to your user information, here's a Tecnam flying over UL in FSX :-) It's really wide due to me playing over 3 screens...

EI-JPK_zps7f4707e9.jpg

When you say night lighting, do you mean if the road network is lit up too? I found a good tutorial for importing Google satellite data into FSX. Since you're in UL according to your user information, here's a Tecnam flying over UL in FSX :-) It's really wide due to me playing over 3 screens...

Yeah like do the cities and towns light up at night, not just the roads... That screenshot looks great :) I've been messing around with sbuilderx recently, I that what you use?

Yep, I followed this tutorial here. It's more detailed than what I bothered with, As in, in this tutorial they separated out the land and water to put fsx water in there, which I didn't bother with, as I was happy enough with the static image. I haven't actually tried the night stuff at all, my training in coonagh is all for vfr, so whatever I just stick to that in fsx too. I'll give a night flight a shot sometime, but I'm beginning to doubt you'll see much in terms of illumination...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX

Yep, I followed this tutorial here. It's more detailed than what I bothered with, As in, in this tutorial they separated out the land and water to put fsx water in there, which I didn't bother with, as I was happy enough with the static image. I haven't actually tried the night stuff at all, my training in coonagh is all for vfr, so whatever I just stick to that in fsx too. I'll give a night flight a shot sometime, but I'm beginning to doubt you'll see much in terms of illumination...

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?250762-How-to-create-photoreal-scenery-for-FSX

Another option available to you is to run Tileproxy
    which will provide up to date photoscenery on the fly.

• Advertisement

Yeah I made some nice photoscenery for the arann islands, looks great, especially with George Keogh's scenery as it adds a few houses and windmills etc. I don't think I'm gonna bother trying to delete the bits of old land sticking out, looks too difficult/ I'm too lazy!

Tileproxy looks good... What's the best map provider for Ireland in terms of quality and consistency?

Ciano35 wrote: »

Tileproxy looks good... What's the best map provider for Ireland in terms of quality and consistency?

I used G**gle servers when I was running Tileproxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Yeah, I got in contact with the crowd I bought it from and they are sending me out disk 2 again no hassles. I tried copying the contents from the discs to an image that I could mount and install from there and again disc 2 was the only one that wouldn't copy correctly either so I'm pretty sure something is corrupted on it.

I'll reinstall it when the new disc arrives and let you know.

Sorry its been a while since i tried FSX.

Yeah my disc 2 has a problem it gave some error message and then i clicked ok and it installed but when i went to look at the map of ireland in fsx F12 key theres a huge chunk missing.

eyom.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Advertisement