Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opeth's 10th album/observation Heritage - September release

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I really like it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

My mate put the new album up here

http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicTrollKing?feature=mhee#p/u/18/FBSjnM2dbK8

Along with the new DT album

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

I listened to a few songs from the Opeth album last night, sounds like its a cracker. Bit of a change in direction alright, which I guess may turn some people off, but IMO it could be one of their best albums yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

Had a listen to the album, and I love it. Completely different to their other stuff, but I think it all fits. I think even if Opeth done a Lady Gaga cover it'd sound great :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Given it a few listens, absolutely love it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Listen to track 4 , Slither and tell me if Dio was singing that it couldn't easily sit on Rainbow Rising ...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

Found this fairly boring to be honest. Will need few more listens before judging it definitively but so far... pleasant enough but quite bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

RayCon wrote: »
    Listen to track 4 , Slither and tell me if Dio was singing that it couldn't easily sit on Rainbow Rising ...
    Listened to 'Slither', grand song, will download before I buy the album on this one though! I can tell the albums going to be a bit like Damnation which may not be a bad thing!

Finally got the album. Absolutely loved it. I was a bit afraid of finding it boring, like I knew what Mike would do or something. And even though it's not particulalrly groundbreaking, it's a masterpiece. I absolutely love it.

Got the deluxe edition with the bonus DVD. The 5.1 mix sounds fantastic and the documentary is good. The two bonus tracks are also very good.

My biggest concern now though is for their tour. With the setlist they played for the first two shows of the US tour it looks like it's gonna be a mellow set. Which means lots of angry metal fans who are gonna ruin the show by shouting at them to play some metal (I've seen this on both the Watershed and Ghost Reveries tours where they were only playing one or two mellow tunes). That could really ruin the gig :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

On the first couple of listens, I felt so disappointed, it just seemed so boring and when you adore a band it feels lousy on first listening that its going to be a bad album.

Many listens later I am very happy with it, I do prefer Opeth's earlier stuff but dont mind this direction either. What a song Famine is, the riff from about 4.50 is amazing, its in my head constantly, the flute sounds deadly.

I feel though that they will alienate more fans with this album, a lot of old school fans were losing faith in them anyway, they seemed to be growing in popularity so it does seem an odd decision to release a prog album like this.

I also love the cover, the symbolism with the recently departed Per's head falling out of the tree and the devils around the tree roots depicting their death metal roots.

They havent lost me as a fan anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Have to give this a try now, really liked watershed so dying to hear how their sound has progressed.... they playing over here any time soon actually?

spiralism wrote: »
    Have to give this a try now, really liked watershed so dying to hear how their sound has progressed.... they playing over here any time soon actually?

Don't think there's any European dates yet. But based on previous tours I'd say they'll be playing here around June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

They are playing the UK in Nov, I asked H from DME was there any plans for them coming over then but he said they wont be over till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

First post here to talk about an album I was expecting for something like 7-8 years...

Mike always acknowledged his prog' rock roots and he was putting more and more of them in every new album (especially since Ghost Reveries). Hence this "Heritage" which seems to me like a somehow "logical" progression...

Up to now I like what I hear but need more time to build a more constructive opinion. What is sure is, as someone already said, you can definitely hear the Opeth touch (the odd arrangements, this oriental vibe, the keyboards...). I like the voice, the riffage, the atmosphere; Doesn't sound like an obvious rip off of 70ies bands. Sounds very promising !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I like this, i see it as more of a compliment to bands they liked from the 70's rather than a rip off.

Definitely agree with the two above posts. It's more inspired by that era rather than ripped off. It still has that Opeth sound at parts.

It flows really well. I'm looking forward to seeing how the live performances turn out.

Advertisement