Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

June bank holiday weather

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

It appears that this warm spell will be stone dead by Sunday now on the latest GFS runs - even more worrying is the outlook into the middle of June, rather grim to say the least:(

PS: Things need to improve fast IMO since even recent poor summers at least offered decent spells in May - we don't even have that to fall back on this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Birdnuts wrote: »
    It appears that this warm spell will be stone dead by Sunday now on the latest GFS runs - even more worrying is the outlook into the middle of June, rather grim to say the least:(

PS: Things need to improve fast IMO since even recent poor summers at least offered decent spells in May - we don't even have that to fall back on this year:(

It's only the beginning of the Summer, don't be so glum! Enjoy this coming warm spell while it last anyway. If my memory is correct, weren't there some damn goods days in April with lots of sunshine and temperatures reaching the low twenties in the west? (east coast had breezy conditions though)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

DUST off the barbecues and hose down that garden furniture. Forecasters are predicting a scorcher for the bank holiday weekend, with temperatures set to top those in the Mediterranean.

The warmest weather of the year is expected to be here by Friday, which is good news for those opting for a 'staycation' and for a raft of festivals due to take place over the weekend.

"Temperatures are expected to rise to 25C by Friday, bringing the warmest weather we've had this year -- so if you're thinking of having a barbecue, this is definitely the time to have one," Met Eireann's John Eagleton said yesterday.

Today is regarded by meteorologists as the first official day of summer. And, at least for the time being, the skies should soon be matching the season.

"It's a great start to summer after a very nice April but a cooler May," Mr Eagleton added.

The sunny spell should bring higher temperatures than those of popular holiday spots across Europe, with family-favourite Majorca set to peak at 22C and temperatures in Malta not expected to exceed 23C.

However, the imminent warm weather has prompted Irish Water Safety to issue a warning.

"We would urge all people on beaches to take due care this weekend. There is always an increase in the numbers of people heading out into the water when the weather improves, and beaches are renowned for being crowded on bank holidays," a spokesman said.

The highest temperature in Ireland so far this year was 22.7C, recorded at Shannon Airport on April 21.

- Jade Nolan

Dunno why they are getting people's hopes up like that.

According to any forecasts I've looked at online, it will only just about break 20 on Friday, dropping back a little Saturday and then right down to 15/16 on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Must say I can’t wait to play some golf in good weather for a change on Thursday or Friday.:D
    But looking towards sat and sun, I’m staring to loose faith in this warm snap, I run a small business that warm weather helps no end but starting to worry a bit,

This weekend looks like it could go anyway really, for some a nice warm bank holiday, mainly for people in the south and west, but the east and north might find it quite cool if they are unlucky enough to find themselves in a costal breeze with cloud cover,

Hope the warm weather wins out :o

roryc1 wrote: »
    to play some golf in good weather for a change on Thursday or Friday.:D
    But looking towards sat and sun, I’m staring to loose faith in this warm snap, I run a small business that warm weather helps no end but starting to worry a bit,

This weekend looks like it could go anyway really, for some a nice warm bank holiday, mainly for people in the south and west, but the east and north might find it quite cool if they are unlucky enough to find themselves in a costal breeze with cloud cover,

Hope the warm weather wins out :o

Sadly it looks now that the so-called "warm spell" will last a mere 48 hrs for most - reminds me of the Easter weekend when the models looked great for the start of May, but then it all when T*TS UP!! - The propect of June been anywhere near as bad as the past month is too depressing to contemplate:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

darkman2 wrote: »
    hurricane-iniki-3.jpg

I agree with MT. He is absolutely right on all the models this evening. A cooling trend next week but id say average sunny spells, some cloud, the odd shower. Chilly breeze on East and North coasts.

Nice Pic haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Sadly it looks now that the so-called "warm spell" will last a mere 48 hrs for most - reminds me of the Easter weekend when the models looked great for the start of May, but then it all when T*TS UP!! - The propect of June been anywhere near as bad as the past month is too depressing to contemplate:(

Looks like decent weather if you head west, preferrably south west to kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Funny to hear everyone saying there's a heatwave coming, even in shops etc.
    Who started that rumour anyway? I'm guessing some newspaper. Silly fools.
    Sure its going to get warm for a day or two but a heatwave is way off the mark.
    Reminds me of last winter when the second cold spell wasn't going to be as bad as the first! :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

personally i'm glad there is no heatwave coming. tempeartures of 20-21 are just about right from my perspective. i can't stand it when temperatures get into the high 20s:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

personally i'm glad there is no heatwave coming. tempeartures of 20-21 are just about right from my perspective. i can't stand it when temperatures get into the high 20s:mad:

Or here in the south east, the low 30's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

The Fires of Hell aren't all they're made out to be then? :P

Agree though, past the mid twenties and I'm not so happy either, though if the humidity isn't high it's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

johngalway wrote: »
    Agree though, past the mid twenties and I'm not so happy either, though if the humidity isn't high it's ok.

Yeah, just like when 27c in spain doesnt feel like much more than say 22c in ireland. It must all be due to our high humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Give me sunburn and freckles over the poxy s**te we've put up with for the past month and a half anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heat, pif what heat! Work in a glasshouse during a summer like 1995 and you build a tolerance for it... 54c is hot though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Been in Phoenix, Arizona a few times. They know what heat is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then today is summer. :(

The Met station at Oak Park was the warmest yesterday at 25.5C, wouldn't be surprised if it was 27C in Kilkenny yesterday, it was hot.

Most away from the NW will have a decent day(though nowhere near as hot as yesterday!!) - then the shutters come down from Sunday onwards and its back to the winter woolies:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Been light rain all morning here, very dull & overcast. Last half an hour fairly constant rain, back to drizzle again now. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

rc28 wrote: »
    It's only the beginning of the Summer, don't be so glum! Enjoy this coming warm spell while it last anyway. If my memory is correct, weren't there some damn goods days in April with lots of sunshine and temperatures reaching the low twenties in the west? (east coast had breezy conditions though)

Im on my 3rd, and last summer in Ireland. The summers have been pantaloons with bells on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    The Met station at Oak Park was the warmest yesterday at 25.5C, wouldn't be surprised if it was 27C in Kilkenny yesterday, it was hot.

That sounds like owenc logic . . .:P

That sounds like owenc logic . . .:P

Oak Park is not positioned like the Met station was in Kilkenny.

You know yourself, Kilkenny has the lower centre and the hills around the edgeof the county which locks in heat in the summer and the cold in the winter.

OwenC didn't use logic, the stats show Kilkenny is the best location for the highest temperatures, thanks to the topography.

I doubt Oak Park will beat the 33.3C of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

15.5 degrees here in Roscommon. Was hoping to get a BBQ going before the Ireland match but it's too cold! Damn this weather and the false hopes it always brings us!

Another summery day but with more light cloud and a bit more humid

Oak Park is not positioned like the Met station was in Kilkenny.

You know yourself, Kilkenny has the lower centre and the hills around the edgeof the county which locks in heat in the summer and the cold in the winter.

OwenC didn't use logic, the stats show Kilkenny is the best location for the highest temperatures, thanks to the topography.

I doubt Oak Park will beat the 33.3C of Kilkenny.

I was joking! But btw the station in kilkenny, which afaik is more urban than the old one was, but generally very similar in temperatures recorded 25.5 yesterday.

Back to the cold grey grimness this morning and FTFF going on this mornings ECM and GFS runs:(

Mild and dull.

I was joking! But btw the station in kilkenny, which afaik is more urban than the old one was, but generally very similar in temperatures recorded 25.5 yesterday.

I know but this isn't Coleraine where they get less heat and cold than here ;) despite all the snow they get up the back hill...

Where is that station located, just wondering?

I know but this isn't Coleraine where they get less heat and cold than here ;) despite all the snow they get up the back hill...

Where is that station located, just wondering?

Not sure, but the webcam points over the weir above greens bridge, so i presume its there . . .

• Advertisement
Advertisement