Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vote concy ryan

Options
  • 26-05-2011 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Come on lads and lassies, lets vote for Concy ryan in rte's storyland, here is the link http://www.rte.ie/storyland/

If they win, it may start a new programme from rte in Limerick, thus bringing a few jobs and the likes to town..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

No, because if they win it they might start a new program on RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

grumpypants :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

No, because if they win it they might start a new program on RTE.

can't argue with that!:):)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Voted. I saw him filming up in Mary I a few months ago. Looked like fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does Limerick really need another fake scumbag to represent it in the national media?

Rubberbandits, Haunty Beor, Concy Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Does Limerick really need another fake scumbag to represent it in the national media?

Rubberbandits, Haunty Beor, Concy Ryan.

I reckon if we over-kill the scobie image, the media will have no choice but to portray us more positively. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I reckon if we over-kill the scobie image, the media will have no choice but to portray us more positively. :pac:

Or it will just further portray Limerick as some kind of scumbag capital. :pac:

Or that the only thing that can be pushed as entertainment is yet another attempt at a comedy about local scumbags. Something even slightly original would be nice and a change.

I know the actor playing concy and have to say he's a sound guy and deserves to win with all the effort he has put in to his videos. They are funny videos and in all fairness he has a great mind for concepts with Limerick the recession days and now this. I fully believe give him a chance and in the years to come he will be a great actor.

Who knows what other fictional characters are going to come from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Whats wrong with having a laugh kess? Walk down any street in Limerick and that's what you'll see, so why not look at the bright side? Heard him on Live 95 this moring and thought it was funny. hope he goes all the way. Fair play to him.

• Advertisement

brucechan wrote: »
    Whats wrong with having a laugh kess? Walk down any street in Limerick and that's what you'll see, so why not look at the bright side? Heard him on Live 95 this moring and thought it was funny. hope he goes all the way. Fair play to him.

I just find it boring and is nothing that has not been done before and better.

Nothing wrong with having a laugh, and if others find it funny, then that's cool. I have no problem with that.

I mean he has done well to get himself back on track after being in prison years ago as many people would not have worked as hard after something like that, but I just don't find it overly funny myself but that is just my opinion for my own reasons and I am not trying to tell others that there is something wrong or right about it.

If people like it, then they should vote for it, it's that simple really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Find this guy as funny as cancer tbh.

Sick of the fake scumbag schtick to be honest, its been done to death in my opinion. The bandits last few things on RTE have been rubbish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

brucechan wrote: »
    Walk down any street in Limerick and that's what you'll see

Yeah, unfortunately. :mad:

But it's hardly what we want to replicate and show to the rest of the country.

Yeah, unfortunately. :mad:

But it's hardly what we want to replicate and show to the rest of the country.

Tbh I couldn't care less what the rest of Ireland thinks of Limerick. Limerick is a great place and I for one am delighted to see that people are interested in the videos coming from here. If you prefer to show some mundane boring unexciting north circular road series go create it yourself. I wouldn't say many people would be too interested in it. Sure don't we have enough d4 on tv already.

padma wrote: »
    Tbh I couldn't care less what the rest of Ireland thinks of Limerick. Limerick is a great place and I for one am delighted to see that people are interested in the videos coming from here. If you prefer to show some mundane boring unexciting north circular road series go create it yourself. I wouldn't say many people would be too interested in it. Sure don't we have enough d4 on tv already.

Why so defensive over it? Are you involved with it and trying to raise votes? Fair enough if you are involved as you would feel strongly about it.

Surely people have the right not to like it and say so, just as you and others have the right to like it and say so?

Seems anyone who does not like it is getting little digs in this thread for having a different opinion. If something or someone is from Limerick does that mean we all have to jump on the bandwagon just because of that?

As I said earlier, if people like it then that's cool and they should vote for it then if they want to, Just as it is cool for anyone to have the opinion it is not funny or that it is not original based on watching it on youtube or wherever.

But if it gets brought up on a web forum open to the public, then any opinion can be expressed as long as it is not abusive, libelous, or trolling, at least that is what I thought could be done in this forum unless something has changed in here.

I don't mean any offence to you with this, but if you have an opinion on something then you have to be ready to accept that others may differ, and the same goes for those that differ with your opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Who was in prison "Concy " or the actor?

Its kinda boring at this stage the scumbag comedy but suppose funny for a quick laugh

Doesnt he use areas of Limerick to film that have enough bad media?And i think he called to MoyHill thats kinda not good for the areas in my opinion

Also i saw something in the paper about the L.I.T Film festival and some film called "Scumbag millionaire" any connection or another scobe comedy

Just my honest opinion Kessler. As said I couldn't care less and don't find the need to be defensive about limericks image which a few people are here re the scumbag scobie comments etc. I was only promoting an up and coming actor trying to get a gig.

Unfortunately it brings up lots of local politics to do with demographic profiling which is good as in another way people need to drop the fear around people coming from certain neighbourhoods. Otherwise it's just pure discriminayytion (said with a working class Limerick accident)

Just my honest opinion Kessler. As said I couldn't care less and don't find the need to be defensive about limericks image which a few people are here re the scumbag scobie comments etc. I was only promoting an up and coming actor trying to get a gig.

Unfortunately it brings up lots of local politics to do with demographic profiling which is good as in another way people need to drop the fear around people coming from certain neighbourhoods. Otherwise it's just pure discriminayytion (said with a working class Limerick accident)

I see no discrimination of people from certain areas. I see people saying they find the clips funny and people saying they don't find the clip funny.

Social discriminationin terms of areas within Limerick is a topic for a different thread methinks, and let's be honest we are talking about comedy clips here not pieces that offer meaningful opinion on discrimination.

People saying they don't find yet another spoof about rough areas in Limerick as helpful to Limerick's image is not the same thing as them discriminating against individual parts of Limerick, if anything the clips could be taking as taking the p1ss about people from those areas and be seen as discrimination if people really wanted to be picky about it, not that I see the clips as anything of the sort myself, I just see them as an attempt at spoof comedy and nothing malicious. I just don't find them funny.

Fair enough though the few posts at the start brought up the usual scumbag comments. Don't want to drag thread off topic. So would you vote for the movie after watching the other movies. I will I think it's a well done video which wouldn't have been easy to film and deserves to win. But as grumpychops said he won't vote for them for his reasons. Are your reasons similar and that's why you won't vote for him? Either way the thread was started to encourage folk to vote for concy.

So lads and lassies come on watch the clips and go ahead cast your votes for one of our own.

Fair enough though the few posts at the start brought up the usual scumbag comments. Don't want to drag thread off topic. So would you vote for the movie after watching the other movies. I will I think it's a well done video which wouldn't have been easy to film and deserves to win. But as grumpychops said he won't vote for them for his reasons. Are your reasons similar and that's why you won't vote for him? Either way the thread was started to encourage folk to vote for concy.

So lads and lassies come on watch the clips and go ahead cast your votes for one of our own.

I'm not voting for it because I don't think it was funny, and I don't think it was original or well shot. I don't care about the Limerick connection as I don't vote for things simply because of where it is from, I vote if I like it, which is why I voted for a different video. If I had liked it I would have voted regardless of where it was from.

But as I said earlier, if people think it is funny, and I am sure that some will find it funny and some will think it was original/well shot, then of course they should vote for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Bandits = Funny
    Concy = Ghoul

Good on you kess. You've given your reasons and they have merit. I voted for it as it seemed the best for me. I just hope more people will vote in storyland and not be put off by a fear about limericks image.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kudos73

Well, I won't be voting for it...

I hate the fact that RTE find it OK to use the more deprived areas in the country (not just Limerick) as a back-lot to they're entertainment scheduals. To me it shows the lack of talent in RTE, that they need to run a competition to garner ideas.... (crumbs from the table spings to mind).

DOn't get me wrong, fair play to the guy for trying to make it as an actor and all that. But I guarentee, If you sat 'Concy' down and asked him to be truthful, what he hoped to come from the show the usual line of 'it would create jobs', would be at the bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I know Francis Ryan (Aka Concy) very well and I certaintly have and will continue to vote for him and wish him every sucess. He is up against some incredible talent and has don a great job in securing funding and help from the natives in Moyross and Southill and so if they support him then the rest of people should stand beside him....

It is after all a bit of fun and if sucessful mite bring a bit more Limerick talent into the limelight into the future.

actually I should have said "walk down any street ANYWHERE..."

We don't have to like it, but at least its getting a few laughs, and plenty of the poeple that live up around there seem to get a kick out of it. There's a fair few involved in the making of the videos too, and theyre hardly doing it for free.
    Makes no difference if he's portraying a Limerick scummer or a Cork one, or one from anywhere else.
    Best of luck to him. At least he's doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

If you prefer to show some mundane boring unexciting north circular road series go create it yourself. I wouldn't say many people would be too interested in it. Sure don't we have enough d4 on tv already.
    I reckon a series of NCR Wives could be a smash myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Aidric wrote: »
    I reckon a series of NCR Wives could be a smash myself.

lol classic

how about NCW Wives...!!! Gooooooaaaaannnn!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

its the same as that eejit Brendan O'Carroll and his Mrs Brown Boys, some people find it hilarious, where as Concy isnt funny at all, but if you are from these areas I could see why you would think its funny.

I do think Rubberbandits are a good laught though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

vkid wrote: »
    Find this guy as funny as cancer tbh.

Sick of the fake scumbag schtick to be honest, its been done to death in my opinion. The bandits last few things on RTE have been rubbish as well.

agreed! i see yer man who plays concy around now and again, i can appreciate the hard work he does, and my own mates have even done a bit of editing for him, but it's just not funny at all!

Advertisement