Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Joinery maintenance

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TC onboard

martinn123 wrote: »
    Was your last username MunsterJoinery???
    No but fairs fair...if i got a rubbish job done then i'd be quick to get on here and slate MJ, but seeing as I got excellent windows at such a reasonable price and can't fault their work then just feel credit needs to be given where its due and let people know I'm glad I went with MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robrieguez

With regards to the people complaining about external glazing. There is security tape that bonds the double glazed unit to the inside of the frame which means the tape needs to be cut from the inside to take out the glass. It is the same as a car windscreen and I don't see too many people just lifting them out. If the tape is cut that means the burglar is already in your house by way of a brick through a window which i'm pretty sure internal glazing doesn't cope too well with either!

I'd agree though with people about MJ in the boom though, they churned out pvc windows like there was no tomorrow as they were the only ones who could do it the short time frames that developers needed.

I know first hand that their quality is far superior now and have their new Futureproof windows in my house. The u-value on the triple glazed window(not just glass) is 0.77. Which is certified to passive standards and is the only window in the country to achieve this

All I know is that I'll be toasty this winter : )

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bogchick

I replied to this thread while back. We tried to change our m.j. windows with our builders but we had already agreed to them in contract so no going back.
    Windows have arrived and they are truly terrible!
    All are marked /scuffed. B
    eeding round frame all stick out. Not sealed properly. Some arrived smashed with silicone slapped on. Were so disappointed and would never in million years recommended them. Someone from m.j. coming out to meet our builder today and we want them out. So basically dont make same mistake as us

• Registered Users Posts: 6 suttlem

Munster joinery have a pathetic guarantee in my opinion , my hinges failed after 2 years and are NOT covered by guarantee.plastic parts in the hinges broke on many windows.
    Munster joinery said i did not use them enough !. massive fee to fix them.
    go somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

suttlem wrote: »
    Munster joinery have a pathetic guarantee in my opinion , my hinges failed after 2 years and are NOT covered by guarantee.plastic parts in the hinges broke on many windows.
    Munster joinery said i did not use them enough !. massive fee to fix them.
    go somewhere else
    massive fee to fix them can i ask what sort of money they are looking for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BrenCooney

Got two Future Proof windows installed in spring. Was reinsulating the roof and had to put in two new dormers. While the windows were not too bad the installers were neanderthal. ripped bed cover throwing tools on it, used scaffolding planks to "tap" the windows into place. I asked a few questions and all i got were grunts.

so mad i would never recommend them to anyone.
    have managed to convince a few people who are doing new builds to go down different avenues.

all for the lack of a bit of quality control and a bit of manners!

have wanted to say that months ago but the language would have resulted in me being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

On the Mayo forum we had a similar discussion. I wrote this about some windows I bought from MJ in October.

They were ok, not brilliant but OK. The finish on the seals are not 100%, there is little bits of some sort of sealer protruding between glass and frame, and some of the black seals are not perfectly seated.

Not enough to cause a complaint but slightly irritating - a casual finish in the factory is the cause.

I wanted to fit them myself but was told that they would not guarentee them if I did so I agreed to pay for the fitters to do them.
    Bad decision. The fitting was shoddy, unfinished and 3 of the windows leaked inside. Only one window was mechanically fixed, the others glued with foam and sealant.

I had agreed for them not to do any finish on the inside as I still have building work to do. But when they left, none of the outside was cleaned or any of the protective wrapping removed.

I have rectified the problems myself. I would not have those fitters back again. I have asked for some UPVc solvent to clean them myself but I have had no response from the second fitter who came out.

Would I buy from them again? I probably would but I would be far more picky over minor issues, not make the final payment until all was completed and I certainly woudn't have those fitters back again.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭inovo

I am in no way affiliated with any window company but i recently bought a house in which i needed 6 locks 6 handles and 6 hinges replaced along with a panel of double glazing which broke from previous owners. All in €350. Sky Windows in little island cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 misk

Just been dealing with Munster Joinery on the phone.. And found the Tone and attitude of the lady who took my call.. well all i can say is not on the side of the customer.. She could not help me with what i was after and when i asked for a manager there was none around to take my call... They are ment to be coming out to see my door which had a gaping hole letting in the cold at a charge but.. the way they deal with people shows that they will hardly be helpful at any stage even if you make a complaint.. the customer is always right... especially when he is actually in the right... Their problems should not be our problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Paulb

Customer feedback is essential in helping us to improve upon customer experiences with our company.
    We would ask you to mail us directly to enable us to deal with your issues in further detail.

Management
    Munster Joinery

as another customer, having munster joinery doors and windows, i am not happy with the quality, and also with the seal on the doors and windows, i phoned them up a few times, had a guy out once, to look at the issues, but still issues re occurred, also the barrels in the locks are very weak,

where can you purchase the stronger lock barrel for a munster joinery door? ie the ones that are toughened,? are munster joinery still on boards?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

misk wrote: »
    Just been dealing with Munster Joinery on the phone.. And found the Tone and attitude of the lady who took my call.. well all i can say is not on the side of the customer.. She could not help me with what i was after and when i asked for a manager there was none around to take my call... They are ment to be coming out to see my door which had a gaping hole letting in the cold at a charge but.. the way they deal with people shows that they will hardly be helpful at any stage even if you make a complaint.. the customer is always right... especially when he is actually in the right... Their problems should not be our problems...

Yes Yes Yes Yes, they are *&^&^%^&^%%$$%%^^^& rubbish, I got my windows installed 10 weeks ago, had panes in the wrong way, none of the dooors locked properly, they had stickers on the inside of the panes, they dragged our good front door along the mud and put 3 dents in it, that was just installation

As for customer care, One guy came out after 3/4 weeks waiting on a tin of
    paint was the excuse as they are supposed to be out within 10 days (paint was not used when he got there????) he told my wife you need to give the handles a "good shove" when trying to lock the doors, "thats the norm with these units" You have to strain the handles to lock the doors now, so next thing is probably the handles will go on them. Said he would be back soon to complete all the other small jobs, 10 weeks after install and still waiting...!!!

non existent and yes I got the same response as above when i asked for a manager for the service department, guess what I wasn't happy with that so I called the main reception and asked for the complaints department, yes you guessed it, complaints department/service department are the one department, how rubbish is that, surely they should have an independent complaints department, thats like the animals looking after the animals in a Zoo....

Do not buy from these guys, take my advise, I should have listened to all the stuff up on the internet about these guys, I gave them the benefit of the doubt and I got stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tippman79

I'm thinking of getting the new future proof triple glazed MJ windows installed. Anyone out there with anything good to say about these or are they really that bad. In terms of u-value I believe they're the best window available.
    I had another local installer in this morning who seemed more interested in bad mouthing MJ than trying to actually sell his windows.

I had these fitted in a new sunroom I had built about 6 months ago. I hasten to add that they were fitted as part of the contract with the builder, not direct with MJ, although MJ fitters did the work.

They are excellent to be honest..... now I have all the faults ironed out. I have 7 large panels, and a single door. One of the panels had a human hair stuck between the glass and another had a spider complete with web inside. I kid you not - the builders were as surprised as me.

A small transom window handle had to be adjusted as did the door mechanism to give it a smooth action. As I had it done through the builder he handled all the after sales issues with MJ.

The panels perform very well, they are very quiet, keep the room warm. The door is heavy but smoothly opens. My only problem is that one of the trickle vents whistles in the wind. More a problem with the direction of the wind than the quality of the windows.

Best of all the windows were only a few hundred euros more expensive than standard double glazed ones.

I can post pics if they are of any assistance.

Now dont get me on the subject of their teak exterior door panels.... they were a disaster!

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lollymob

I just got a quote for their passive windows for my new build! I emailed them the plans, explained that house will be airtight and that we would be doing airtight tests. I asked for quote for several different types of windows. Sales rep got back to me and explained that he would only quote me for passive windows as their sliding sash would not be airtight enough for our house! On paper windows seem to be excellent, however is there any point in forking out for these windows if the installation is going to be crap?? Haven't got any other quotes yet so I've nothing to compare it to! House has lots of large and corner windows. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Lollymob

Thanks for the reply - would you mind posting the pictures when you have time.

Just got a very reasonable quote from a local supplier for triple glazed windoews from star elm in Limerick. Overall u-value of 0.8 - the quote came in a few hundred Euro cheaper than MJ for their future proof windows. Appreciate any feedback anyone has on star elm windows.

Hope these will do for now.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Stove Fan wrote: »
    About a year ago I contacted Munster Joinery to get a quote for new windows and doors and after about a week the saleswoman came to measure and said She would phone me the next day for a price.

You think your bad , I'm waiting two years for Marie Paula (kildare rep) to get back to me with a price. How any company could employ such a person is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

dave45dave wrote: »
    Stove Fan wrote: »
    About a year ago I contacted Munster Joinery to get a quote for new windows and doors and after about a week the saleswoman came to measure and said She would phone me the next day for a price.
    You think your bad , I'm waiting two years for Marie Paula (kildare rep) to get back to me with a price. How any company could employ such a person is beyond me.

I'd say the average shelf-life of a sales Rep with MJ, is about 12 months, as they regularly advertise for new sales staff.

So maybe your Rep, is long gone

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

martinn123 wrote: »
    dave45dave wrote: »

I'd say the average shelf-life of a sales Rep with MJ, is about 12 months, as they regularly advertise for new sales staff.

So maybe your Rep, is long gone

With a bit off luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Michael1958

We have a GU Ferco Munster Joinery Multipoint Latch only, 1 deadbolt and 2 rollers70mm centres - G19362 fitted to our front door and all of a sudden we can lock it but the barrel does not rotate enough to remove the key, it is only 3 years old. Is there any thing I can do to the mechanism to fix the problem or must we purchase a complete new unit? I have remove the unit from the door and tried it on it's own with the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Michael1958

We have a GU Ferco Munster Joinery Multipoint Latch only, 1 deadbolt and 2 rollers70mm centres - G19362 fitted to our front door and all of a sudden we can lock it but the barrel does not rotate enough to remove the key, it is only 3 years old. Is there any thing I can do to the mechanism to fix the problem or must we purchase a complete new unit? I have remove the unit from the door and tried it on it's own with the same result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement