Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Overcharging??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tommyhappy wrote: »
    I moved house 2 months ago and couldn't get UPC broadband in my new location. I decided to pay the 2 months rather than can el and pay the 100€ odd cancellation fee as I was 10 months into a 12 month contract. Called them up and was advised not to give my 30 days notice before the 9th of May because I'm still in contract and might get charged cancellation fee. Don't cancel after the 9th of May because there will be 1 day I havent paid for and they may take a full month.

UPC collected my equipment 2 weeks ago and charged me a full months bill yesterday. I really tried to be nice. I highlighted I'd love to keep the BB but not available in my new location. I made sure I put it in writing in a very clear email on the 9th as advised.

This is carbon copy of when my parents cancelled their TV and put it in writing 30 days notice outside their 12 month contract. UPC attempted to take 2 more direct debits but it had been cancelled so sent threatening legal letters. The credit department from UPC even called to threaten and my mother read out the first sentence of the cancelation email she sent and the UPC adviser hung up on her. I had to call and threaten our own legal action pretending to be her husband and they eventually put a credit on the account for the amount owed.

I now have to do the same for myself but as I am no longer a customer what is a credit on a UPC account going to do for me. From the forum it seems consumers direct and ComReg are pretty useless. It's an absolute disgrace. They're hoping people will just say "sure it's only one bill, I'll leave that one go and cancel DD next month." I put my query on their Facebook page and woke up this morning and it was deleted. Not even and apology or a request to contact the customer care to sort this out.

To be honest their broadband is the best in Ireland. I'm getting 1/10 the speed for 9/10's the price with Eircom at my new location. Gotta make do with what I can. The only issue I have personally had with UPC was never during purchasing, setting up or being a current customer, but they make it like getting out of signing and agreement with Lucipher. I really don't know how they're getting away with it.

Anyone with legal advice? Small claims court worth a shot?
    If they took the disputed amount from your account by Direct Debit you should go into your bank and tell them to do a chargeback for that last payment or whichever payments are disputed and tell them that this debit is cancelled(they should give you a slip of paper to sign). They should have the money back in your account within a day and they then take that amount back from UPC who must then follow it up with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tommyhappy

Thanks foggy_lad will try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

Complained to UPC that they're charging me more for TV than advertised on their website. UPC says the price on the website is only for new customers. But as a "valued customer" they will reduce my charge to BELOW that for new customers. So give it a try. :)

Also, I noticed my sister who only started in UPC last month was being charged the same higher rather that I was, not the rate quoted on the site for new customers (which she was). So she's getting that fixed too.

I suspect they're making up prices as they go along. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What is this I keep hearing about everyone paying €57 per month for BB and TV? I've been a customer for 3 months and I'm paying €66 per month on the Fibre Power Essential Bundle. Is there some bundle I don't know about?? :o I know it's not a huge difference, but every little helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I find the best way is not to pay by direct debit.

I pay the bill by cash through the post office and when they over charge or the bill is incorrect I only pay what is the correct amount and email them explaining thats all they are getting.

+1 I gave using DD with UPC. They couldn't get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BostonB wrote: »
    +1 I gave using DD with UPC. They couldn't get it right.

Also a reminder to those on dd - UPC charge you 11 euros (afaik) if you miss a direct debit. They do not tell customers about this charge when they are setting up a dd. Which is disgraceful in itself. Your bank will charge you in or around 12 euros also - so missing a dd can be an extremely costly business. Other companies also charge if you miss a dd and many do not specify this charge upfront.

UPC are very adept at exploiting the dd system to generate cash for themselves - the least they could do is be honest with their dd customers upfront about potential charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 laurielu

Had similar issues with UPC. Was overcharged for first month as they didnt apply first 4 months free promotion for new customers to account. When I rang up was told that there was nothing that they could do and that they would apply it from now. Explained that this was unacceptable. Still remained adamant that they could do nothing and could not back date promotions. Told them I wanted to leave so as I felt that this was ridiculous and if this was how now customers were treated that I would hate to see how loyal customers were treated. Was immediately transfered to the 'customer loyalty department' where issues was resolved and was given additional half price month as an apology. The lady that I spoke to in customer loyalty could not have been nice or friendlier!

Advertisement