Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SUV Ratings

Options
  • 24-05-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Any comments, ratings you can give on SUV's on the market at the moment. It needs to be 4x4 (we live at the side of a mountain!!!), would prefer 2.0L diesel max, and probably looking at 2008 for tax incentive.

Have seen comments on the Sportage, Grand Vitara, but would like some more and wider info.
    How about the Qashqai (is it 4x4?), Opel Antara, Rav4, Freelander, Santa Fe? And any others you can think of?

Anyone any dealings with "Jeep Compass"? I have seen one which looks good but not sure. Also looking at possibility of bringing something in from UK.
    :D I want to be ready for the snow this year! :D

Thanks all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2.0 diesel and 4x4 dont normally play nice ,

the hyundai santa fe is a good bet its a 2.2 or a subrau forrester
    in the kia id see can you strech out to a 2.5 , the sorento is an excellent machine and they go for cheap money even loaded with spec (auto , leather etc..)

id say leave the opel well alone and the jeep somebody else can comment but if its anything like their previous models I wouldnt be betting on it.

the quashqai , while available in 4x4 nobody ever bought one here so youd have to order one new and deal with the horrific depreciation as youd be selling it back for the same money as a boggo spec 2wd model
    the rav4 is alright but for the same money you could get the likes of a sorento which is a bigger car with more spec

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What's the most you'll pay in tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

There's really only one worth considering, the Skoda Yeti. Ignore it at your peril.

Yeah, a friend of my uncles didn't buy a yeti. He's dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The snow bit is easy, any awd (and probably most 2wd cars) with winter tyres will manage that. What else do you need from the car?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, a friend of my uncles didn't buy a yeti. He's dead now.

See what I mean? That poor person might still be alive if only they'd bought a Yeti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

TheAnswer wrote: »
    See what I mean? That poor person might still be alive if only they'd bought a Yeti.

If it's any consolation, he's buried in the boot of an Octavia VRS TeeDiddlyEye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Absurdum wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, he's buried in the boot of an Octavia VRS TeeDiddlyEye.

The black superb estate was a fitting hearse I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd look at the Subaru Forester. It has a good mix of on-road manners with enough 4x4 ability to handle snow or the odd muddy field without weighing 10 tonnes. The Legacy and Outback estates are also good.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ford Kuga?

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    The black superb estate was a fitting hearse I thought.

They actually parked the Octy in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Thanks for the info all.
    sorry to hear about your uncle's friend!!!
    So, the sorento and Subaru models are recommended.
    Any others?
    Really not looking too high horse power to reduce tax costs and keep fuel consumption down, a bit at least.
    Anyone know anything about the jeep compass?
    Vitara, freeLander?
    Keep them coming lads!

Forgot to mention, don't think I can stretch to the kuga.

I believe the Compass is a heap of junk, personally I wouldn't go near a Freelander, and iirc the Vitara 1.9 diesel is Renault-sourced and has had problems.

Have you considered a Honda CRV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What's your budget dedaw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Absurdum wrote: »
    Have you considered a Honda CRV?
    I'll second that, altho a Subaru Forester or Legacy Outback would be on my list too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Anan1 wrote: »
    The snow bit is easy, any awd (and probably most 2wd cars) with winter tyres will manage that. What else do you need from the car?

I dunno about that. I saw an XC90 earlier this year and it was struggling badly in the snow. It couldn't get any power down at all and seemed never to leave front wheel drive. Not once did the rear wheels spin and this was supposedly in an all wheel drive car. I'd have very little faith in these semi mechanical AWD/4WD systems, the manufacturers seem to be betting on the likelihood that drivers will never use them.
    Subaru excepted of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Amazon. Mountain muncher.

I believe there's a very well looked after one going up for sale tomorrow :D

coolbeans wrote: »
    I dunno about that. I saw an XC90 earlier this year and it was struggling badly in the snow. It couldn't get any power down at all and seemed never to leave front wheel drive. Not once did the rear wheels spin and this was supposedly in an all wheel drive car. I'd have very little faith in these semi mechanical AWD/4WD systems, the manufacturers seem to be betting on the likelihood that drivers will never use them.

sounds like an idiot driver with summer tyres tbh

I had to tow a Porsche Cayenne on like 22" rims up a hill last December :pac:

I think you may be right that the Volvo awd system isn't up to much - I saw a clip of an XC70 online and it was exactly as you describe. That said, i'm not sure that the OP realizes that the correct tyres will make more of a difference than awd. We tend to get a lot of people on here thinking they need an SUV so as not to get stuck in the snow, whereas in many cases they'd actually be better off putting the right tyres on the car they have.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you may be right that the Volvo awd system isn't up to much - I saw a clip of an XC70 online and it was exactly as you describe. That said, i'm not sure that the OP realizes that the correct tyres will make more of a difference than awd. We tend to get a lot of people on here thinking they need an SUV so as not to get stuck in the snow, whereas in many cases they'd actually be better off putting the right tyres on the car they have.

The Touareg/Cayenne twins have a proper 4WD system AFAIK. The likes of the XC90, CRV, Yeti etc do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A pro-Subaru youtube video making the point about the various 4WD systems in use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooQRxlChvMw

dedaw wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any comments, ratings you can give on SUV's on the market at the moment. It needs to be 4x4 (we live at the side of a mountain!!!), would prefer 2.0L diesel max, and probably looking at 2008 for tax incentive.

Have seen comments on the Sportage, Grand Vitara, but would like some more and wider info.
    How about the Qashqai (is it 4x4?), Opel Antara, Rav4, Freelander, Santa Fe? And any others you can think of?

Anyone any dealings with "Jeep Compass"? I have seen one which looks good but not sure. Also looking at possibility of bringing something in from UK.
    :D I want to be ready for the snow this year! :D

Thanks all.

Just get a Subaru Legacy wagon. It'll do everything you need and more and be much better in muddy conditions and snow than any of the faux 4X4s you mention. To be honest I wonder whether winter tyres on a two wheel drive would do the job for you...

As I said in my original question, I live on the side of a mountain almost. We are 15 mins from the nearest town on a clear day, live on a road which has never been cleared by the council.
    In fact, the road can have depths of up to a foot of snow/ice/compacted everything. So, when tracks are eventually formed by tractors and the like, a car on snow tyres will just have the undercarriage ripped to shreds.
    I lost 2 weeks annual leave this year due to the weather and even had to move out to save the rest of my hols.
    So, my request for info is not just for a "yummy mummy" or anything like that. But I would like some comfort in the SUV, it won't be just parked up waiting for the flakes to fall. :D
    Top price of 15k, prefer 2.0, 2.2L.
    Cheers guys. :)

Do you do much mileage?

Hi,

I reckon it would be about 15k a year. There abouts.

I'd been thinking of a petrol Subaru Forester or Outback, as they're way cheaper than the diesels to buy, but they are hard on petrol - at 15k miles annually you'd notice it. It's a shame, as they're otherwise perfect for your needs - utterly reliable, great handling, sophisticated awd, and 8" of ground clearance. They're pretty much standard issue around ski resorts. Both Forester and Outback are available in 2.0 diesel, but only post-2008 - I don't think you'd get one within budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I was gonna suggest this but it wouldn't have the ground clearance you say you need:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201121202525563

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Touareg/Cayenne twins have a proper 4WD system AFAIK. The likes of the XC90, CRV, Yeti etc do not.

It doesn't mater what type of 4x4 system is fitted if you're got the wrong tyres and a big right boot anything can get stuck.
    dedaw wrote: »
    As I said in my original question, I live on the side of a mountain almost. We are 15 mins from the nearest town on a clear day, live on a road which has never been cleared by the council.
    In fact, the road can have depths of up to a foot of snow/ice/compacted everything. So, when tracks are eventually formed by tractors and the like, a car on snow tyres will just have the undercarriage ripped to shreds.
    I lost 2 weeks annual leave this year due to the weather and even had to move out to save the rest of my hols.
    So, my request for info is not just for a "yummy mummy" or anything like that. But I would like some comfort in the SUV, it won't be just parked up waiting for the flakes to fall. :D
    Top price of 15k, prefer 2.0, 2.2L.
    Cheers guys. :)

Would you not be better off investing in proper winter tyres/wheels and chains for the 360 days of half decent weather and then buy a cheap proper 4x4 with proper winter tyres for the few days of bad snow we get.

Don't forget we've only had 2 bad winters in 20 odd years.

• Advertisement

Just get a 1.3 Jimny for €1500, tax it for 3 months in the winter and use whenever.

Advertisement