Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Civil Defence

• 24-05-2011 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

Might be of interest to some people
    Civil Defence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rallye150flyer

pretty good video

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

stevie06 wrote: »
    Might be of interest to some people
    Civil Defence
    pretty good video

Hey,

Thanks guys that was made by one of the lads in the Cork unit, a collection of photos in the last few years...

• Excellent video, well done Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Guys & Gals, do the civil defense only take on people ever so often or do they take on people at all... I'm looking to start volunteering and was thinking about the civil defense or Rnli but i'm not an over strong swimmer so was looking at CD

Any Answer appreciated

Shane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Guys & Gals, do the civil defense only take on people ever so often or do they take on people at all... I'm looking to start volunteering and was thinking about the civil defense or Rnli but i'm not an over strong swimmer so was looking at CD

Any Answer appreciated

Shane.

There are usually regular intakes at certain intervals. If you contact the CD HQ office for your county they will let you know when the next intake is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Any Answer appreciated

Shane.

its best to go along on a training night and see what they do. talking face to face with the CD is much better than phoning them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Fuinseog wrote: »
    its best to go along on a training night and see what they do. talking face to face with the CD is much better than phoning them.

I know of a few classes that really do frown upon people just turning up, may not be the best bet to set a good initial impression imho . . .

Unless you know someone already in the class, which in that case is a different story entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

I know of a few classes that really do frown upon people just turning up, may not be the best bet to set a good initial impression imho . . .

Unless you know someone already in the class, which in that case is a different story entirely.

true enough. sometimes you can ring and they ask you to drop by that evening.

some units will be very approachable, others less so. its important to see what kind of people they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Any Answer appreciated

Shane.

Hey Shane I see by your location your in Clare..

I can tell you Clare are a solid unit, well disiplined with good numbers at training.
    They do very well at competition level especially in the fire competitions, the mens team winning years in a row with the womens team beating most of the mens times too!!

Heres some info on Clare Civil Defence:
    http://www.clarecoco.ie/emergency-services/civil-defence/

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Any Answer appreciated

Shane.

Don't let the swimming thing put you off the RNLI. In the three years I've been on the lifeboat I have had to swim three times max - twice on a course for about 200 metres in a calm area. Alot of units do swimming classes also. I know a fella who couldn't swim when he joined and was even afraid of the waves - 6 months later he is one of the best crew members and loves the water.

However, with Civil Defence you normally know if you are going to be tasked as word is spread etc. However with the lifeboat - beeper goes any time - mostly when you don't want it :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement