Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

ISAW wrote: »
    Again Ill leave Fasgnadh say it:
    <snip>

Again, (and again and again and again): Atrocities committed by Totalitarian regimes which place themselves as the ultimate authority say nothing about the veracity of atheism, or the moral integrity of atheists. Do you believe a republic, humanist democracy with atheists as elected officials would result in cruelty and barbarism?
    But you apparently believe that them being atheist is just a co incidence and demonstrates nothing at all about atheism? If however they were all Catholics or Muslims they would be "religious fanatics" ?

This has nothing to do with anything I have said (in fact, it is the opposite of what I said). Totalitarian regimes specifically adopt state-atheism because it gives them total authority, and minimises subversive elements.

Why are you doing this? Why are you putting words in my mouth? It grinds the discussion to a complete standstill as I have to tediously sift through accusations. Stop it.
    You think Im being disingenuous because I point out the Politburo were atheist? How about if they were all Catholic or Muslim? You atheist pals would be here crying about evil religious dictatorships would they not?

Again, you are making silly accusations. I said you were being disingenuous because you know damn well that I don't believe bad Christians implies Christianity is bad.

In post #1745, you said the following
    Are you saying:
    1. Because man has used religion as a cause for war, it should be dispensed with.
    I'm saying the lack of belief has been much more a cause of war. so maybe
    Well
    2. because Atheists start wars and commit atrocities Atheism that should be dispensed with? Or at least maybe prevented from running society?

Im just saying 2 has a much better case than 1.

I said "both 1 and 2 are wrong". Both! Why is this so hard to understand? Instead of trying to accuse me of making a case for 1, why don't you make the "much better" case for 2?
    You accuse me of being disingenuous about things and you refer to humanist "ideals" while you deny the "ideal" of natural law?
    You also say totalitarianism can only exist where people don't elieve in a higher authority -like God. Atheists don't believe in a higher authoruity. REligious believers do believe in one. Note any similarities with your definition?

I can't extract any meaning from this. Also, your use of the phrase "natural law" is confusing. So I'll reiterate: Totalitarian regimes don't adopt humanist ideals. And they adopt atheism because they want to minimise the number of subversive, counter-cultural elements in society. This does not mean atheists have no moral integrity.
    Atheists are a small percentage of society to begin with! But as I stated it refutes nothing because whenever atheism was promoted as a central tenet society collapsed whereas when god was promoted it didn't!

But they don't share a belief in God! Societies founded by group A believer thrived and by group B people ended in destruction.

Totalitarian regimes, with total and complete authority, not atheism, were responsible. I am going to keep repeating this until you address it.
    Social darwinism. I don't need to tell you biological "evolution" of a species and social "evolution" of a soiciety asre two different uses of the word "evolution" do I?

Precisely. Social Darwinism "especially refers to notions of struggle for existence [Darwinism] being used to justify social policies which make no distinction between those able to support themselves and those unable to support themselves.". Hitler used Darwinism to justify his Social Darwinist policies, which is not a reflection on the veracity of Darwinism, or the moral integrity of Darwinists. Similarly, state-sponsored oppression of religion and Totalitarianism is not a relection of the veracity of atheism, and says nothing about the moral integrity of atheists.
    With your "universal humanism"
    You tout a line of reasoning which the "brights" of this world might support?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brights_movement

Then again your have something here in common with one of the four horsemen of atheism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Dennett

I am not familiar with the brights movement, so I cannot even say what you are accusing me of this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

You are argueing against something PDN didnt propose'. His was not a statement of "what if" pseudo history. He and I are pointing out issues of type or set catagorisation. I am pointing out that a different set of standards seem to apply to the religious believers than those that apply to the atheists.

I know full well what he proposing ISAW and it has about as much to do with the discussion in hand as my post does, and seeing as he appeared to be supporting your argument I threw in the gibe about pseudo history.

I know I know I should have resisted, mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

marienbad wrote: »
    seeing as he appeared to be supporting your argument I threw in the gibe about pseudo history. .

Where was I supporting ISAW's argument? :confused:

Marien, we would get a lot further if you actually interacted with what I post rather than what you seem to imagine I think.

PDN wrote: »
    Where was I supporting ISAW's argument? :confused:

Marien, we would get a lot further if you actually interacted with what I post rather than what you seem to imagine I think.

No problem PDN , i hav'nt followed the thread ( I am not even aware of it) you were referring to re C.S Lewis so I just picked up the stamp collecting reference and assumed you were dis-agreeing in the line of ISAW

It might help if you were less elliptical but apologies if I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Morbert wrote: »
    Totalitarian regimes don't adopt humanist ideals. And they adopt atheism because they want to minimise the number of subversive, counter-cultural elements in society. This does not mean atheists have no moral integrity.

I don't think anybody would believe that atheists individually have no moral integrity - the same as Christians, just a different worldview, different outlook, different set of faith values, but very much the same too.

Actually, Christians believe that man is made in the image of God, and by that virtue would entirely expect to come across very good living non Christians, and indeed very bad living Christians. I agree with you that fundamentalism is dangerous, especially when it becomes a State totalitarian regime.

You made the point that you don't support the idea that just because somebody happens to say they are a Christian, and does terrible things - that it reflects the values of all Christians, or Christianity, or actually says anything about the truth of Christianity. I think ISAW was saying that while you may say this, others do not. They support the suppression of freedom of religion, and happen to be active atheists, we've seen this in the 20th Century.

I don't think it's necessary to act, or speak out of fear though, but pointing it out is no harm? - I think the basic roots of the western world which is built on Christian values - that are not opposed to pluralism, but absolutely at their core represent freedom of will, thought and mind and are established fairly solid at this stage.

However, there are a new wave of fundamentalist notions of what it means to be atheist, it's gaining support in the popular media too in the form of pop science books, that make it 'ok' to be...well, a bit of an asshole really.... and more than a little takes place on the internet - which is harmless until it leads to an 'us' and 'those' - little acorns.

Fundamentalism is dangerous for humanity. I don't care whether it's Christian or Atheist or Muslim etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Again, (and again and again and again): Atrocities committed by Totalitarian regimes which place themselves as the ultimate authority say nothing about the veracity of atheism, or the moral integrity of atheists. Do you believe a republic, humanist democracy with atheists as elected officials would result in cruelty and barbarism?

If they all promoted atheism as a central tenet and looked on religion as a bad thing. Well all I can say is whenever that happened before that is what happened so YES probably is my answer. I would hope it never happens.
    There is a part answer. We have a Labour Party atheist education ministers with ex maoist and ex communist/atheist Party members backing him saying he wants to get 50% of the schools away from religious ethos for starters. Let us see what happens to the education system should he succeed. Just as the hospitals went into decline.
    Now the President is agnostic and "spiritual" and believes in a higher power so I don't fear anything from him even if he had any real political power.
    This has nothing to do with anything I have said (in fact, it is the opposite of what I said). Totalitarian regimes specifically adopt state-atheism because it gives them total authority, and minimises subversive elements.

Well that would be a chicken and egg argument but how come they don't adopt a State Catholicism and the few times any State was Run by the Church in the past never resulted in the cruelty and barbarism at the atheistic scale?
    Why are you doing this? Why are you putting words in my mouth? It grinds the discussion to a complete standstill as I have to tediously sift through accusations. Stop it.

Because that is what your atheist pals whom you don't disavow say. You personally may not think it but you don't disassociate from their crusade. I'm quite happy to admit when any pope bishop or religious leader is wrong Usually however they are portrayed in a bad light and on investigation another media myth is being spun. But the four horsemen of atheism and their "brights" were not particularly kind to Christianity . I don't witness you saying you don't agree with their pronouncements.
    Again, you are making silly accusations. I said you were being disingenuous because you know damn well that I don't believe bad Christians implies Christianity is bad.

But you also don't seem to believe the icons of atheism are bad in any way. That : Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, Hitchens; are wrong in any way.
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html
    The New Atheists will not let us off the hook simply because we are not doctrinaire believers. They condemn not just belief in God but respect for belief in God. Religion is not only wrong; it's evil. Now that the battle has been joined, there's no excuse for shirking.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html?pg=2&topic=atheism&topic_set=
    When atheists finally begin to gain some power, what then? Here is where Dawkins' analogy breaks down. Gay politics is strictly civil rights: Live and let live. But the atheist movement, by his lights, has no choice but to aggressively spread the good news. Evangelism is a moral imperative. Dawkins does not merely disagree with religious myths. He disagrees with tolerating them, with cooperating in their colonization of the brains of innocent tykes.
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html?pg=3&topic=atheism&topic_set=
    Harris argues that, unless we renounce faith, religious violence will soon bring civilization to an end.
    Dennett is an advocate of admitting that we simply don't have good reasons for some of the things we believe. Although we must guard our defaults, we still have to admit that they may be somewhat arbitrary. "How else do we protect ourselves?"

You seem closer to Dennet than the others.

In post #1745, you said the following

I said "both 1 and 2 are wrong". Both! Why is this so hard to understand? Instead of trying to accuse me of making a case for 1, why don't you make the "much better" case for 2?
    [/quiote]

Because Í havent seen you disavow Dawkings or Harris and their views of religion as a threat to humanity.

'
    I can't extract any meaning from this. Also, your use of the phrase "natural law" is confusing.

Natural law and justice, absolute morals, things thatare always true you know like sex between a child and an adult being always wrong or "no totalitarian regime ever believing in a higher power" ?
    So I'll reiterate: Totalitarian regimes don't adopt humanist ideals.

So humanists believe in "higher powers" do they? in a natural law overarching everything?
    And they adopt atheism because they want to minimise the number of subversive, counter-cultural elements in society. This does not mean atheists have no moral integrity.

I didn't say you have no moral integrety. I suggested you cant back into Dennet's pjilosophical cul de Sac without knowing that he thinks some "principles" have to be left dogmatic and unquestioned - guarding our defaults- just like your humanist/natural law principles which you can not logically derive but are still held to be values "up there" above us all. Dennet and you still rely on something you believe to be true.
    Totalitarian regimes, with total and complete authority, not atheism, were responsible. I am going to keep repeating this until you address it.

I did!
    the world has witnessed in EVERY atheist state, where brutality,
    oppression, persecution, fear and despair ruled.

That's why the religions produced great and enduring civilisations,
    with occasional aberrations, while EVERY atheist state was a horrific
    aberration, and no civilisations were ever produced.
    Every member of the Politburo and
    Central Committee of the USSR and Maoist China, which together
    killed over 60,000,000 people, (far more than any religion) was
    an ATHEIST.

Co incidence? Butif every member was a Catholic I dont think Sam Harris or Dawkings would regard it as co incidence .
    Do you?
    Precisely. Social Darwinism "especially refers to notions of struggle for existence [Darwinism] being used to justify social policies which make no distinction between those able to support themselves and those unable to support themselves.". Hitler used Darwinism to justify his Social Darwinist policies, which is not a reflection on the veracity of Darwinism, or the moral integrity of Darwinists.

Social Darwinism like memetics isn't anything like biological evolution of a species. It justy pretends to be.
    Similarly, state-sponsored oppression of religion and Totalitarianism is not a relection of the veracity of atheism, and says nothing about the moral integrity of atheists.

So all the of atheistic regimes
    1. Were believers and professed atheism because they were lying
    or
    2. Just by coincidence all happened to be atheist.

Which is it?
    I am not familiar with the brights movement, so I cannot even say what you are accusing me of this time.

Fair enough. Go and look it up. You seem closer to Dennet than the others. The problem is that"brights" can be considered as lending a totalist/fascist motif to atheism as "betters" assisted by this social darwinism or memetic sociology. To be fair some agnostics had criticised it for that.

I feel embarrassed to state this but I'm sure you are aware my criticism of your philosophical stance has nothing to do with my opinion of you personally. I actually admire you for your honesty and academic integrity but please don't think I am a sycophant or that I dont admit my own errors whenever i make them. After 6,000 posts 9 other than hasty typos) I doubt there is more than six I have admitted/committed.

lmaopml wrote: »
    I don't think anybody would believe that atheists individually have no moral integrity - the same as Christians, just a different worldview, different outlook, different set of faith values, but very much the same too.
    Fair enough butI pointing to a double standard here

On one side you have the atheist saying ( only true scotsmanlike) "that isn't atheism"
    and then complaining that individual atheists can''t be accused of anything
    In doing so they step away from being catagorised as a group

On the other hand they attack "Christianity" as a group and when called to defame particular Christians they refuse to do it ( except perhaps the Pope who they know won't sue them).
    You made the point that you don't support the idea that just because somebody happens to say they are a Christian, and does terrible things - that it reflects the values of all Christians, or Christianity, or actually says anything about the truth of Christianity. I think ISAW was saying that while you may say this, others do not. They support the suppression of freedom of religion, and happen to be active atheists, we've seen this in the 20th Century.

Yes and I don't witness Morbert saying Dawkings or Harris was wrong to say this.
    If he does as I have stated I then have no problem with non fundamentalist atheists justas I have no problem with non fundie Muslims or Christians.
    I don't think it's necessary to act, or speak out of fear though, but pointing it out is no harm? - I think the basic roots of the western world which is built on Christian values - that are not opposed to pluralism, but absolutely at their core represent freedom of will, thought and mind and are established fairly solid at this stage.

And as I have pointed out it is those "Christian" values that Dennet refers to when he says we must "guard our defaults".
    However, there are a new wave of fundamentalist notions of what it means to be atheist, it's gaining support in the popular media too in the form of pop science books, that make it 'ok' to be...well, a bit of an asshole really.... and more than a little takes place on the internet - which is harmless until it leads to an 'us' and 'those' - little acorns.

And ironically when I adopt their modes of argument I draw flak from their "followers"? :)
    Fundamentalism is dangerous for humanity. I don't care whether it's Christian or Atheist or Muslim etc. etc.

Yes. That and worshiping the material. They are both basically going against the first commandment which ironically is fundamental. :)

ISAW why would you object to Quinn's efforts to remove schools from the Catholic Church patronage ? Same with hospitals ?

Would you go so far as to bar atheists from office ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

ISAW why would you object to Quinn's efforts to remove schools from the Catholic Church patronage ? Same with hospitals ?

Why would you try to confiscate schools owned and run by Catholics that wish to remain Catholic schools ?

If there are schools where the parents board of management no longer wish that school to remain a Catholic one, then it can be sold off / exchanged.

Would you go so far as to bar atheists from office ?

REad this thread and if there is anything hasen't been discussed post it there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481001&page=5

• Advertisement

REad this thread and if there is anything hasen't been discussed post it there:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056481001&page=5

No Prob ISAW, I was just interested in your views in particular, not in reopening the whole issue.

How about my ? to you on barring atheists from office ?

If they all promoted atheism as a central tenet and looked on religion as a bad thing. Well all I can say is whenever that happened before that is what happened so YES probably is my answer. I would hope it never happens.
    There is a part answer. We have a Labour Party atheist education ministers with ex maoist and ex communist/atheist Party members backing him saying he wants to get 50% of the schools away from religious ethos for starters. Let us see what happens to the education system should he succeed. Just as the hospitals went into decline.
    Now the President is agnostic and "spiritual" and believes in a higher power so I don't fear anything from him even if he had any real political power.

They want the percentage of religious schools to reflect the demand. Comparing this to brutal regimes borders on hysteria.
    Well that would be a chicken and egg argument but how come they don't adopt a State Catholicism and the few times any State was Run by the Church in the past never resulted in the cruelty and barbarism at the atheistic scale?

When a state religion was used to remove subversive, counter-cultural elements, it always resulted in cruelty and barbarism, at whatever scale was necessary for their goals to be achieved. Again, the common property of all atrocities is the oppression and control of liberty.
    Because that is what your atheist pals whom you don't disavow say. You personally may not think it but you don't disassociate from their crusade. I'm quite happy to admit when any pope bishop or religious leader is wrong Usually however they are portrayed in a bad light and on investigation another media myth is being spun. But the four horsemen of atheism and their "brights" were not particularly kind to Christianity . I don't witness you saying you don't agree with their pronouncements.

Calling it a crusade also borders on hysteria. As for "not disavowing" them: You have not disavowed the Westboro baptist church, and I would not expect you to because you have not brought them into the conversation. So why would you expect me to disavow people I have not brought into the conversation?

My opinion overlaps most with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I have not yet found myself disagreeing with anything he has said, with the exception of how we should define "atheist".

As for the "New atheist" movement: I agree with, and am very much thankful for, Dawkins's writing on the axiological argument and intelligent design argument, but disagree with his attempts at theology. I agree with Hitchen's opinions about the atrocities committed by islamofascist and Totalitarian regimes, and the oppression of rights (especially rights of women) that theocracy and "leader worship" regularly produce. I agree with Lawrence Krauss's writings on "first cause" arguments. But agreeing with something someone has said does not mean I have to agree with everythingthey say.
    You seem closer to Dennet than the others.

My opinion is closest to Neil deGrasse Tyson
    Morbert wrote:

Because Í havent seen you disavow Dawkings or Harris and their views of religion as a threat to humanity.

So? I said both 1 and 2 are wrong. I have never brought Dawkins or Harris into it at all.
    Natural law and justice, absolute morals, things thatare always true you know like sex between a child and an adult being always wrong or "no totalitarian regime ever believing in a higher power" ?

Well then I, being a moral nihilist, clearly reject any such notion.
    So humanists believe in "higher powers" do they? in a natural law overarching everything?

No. The only natural law they atheist humanists believe in is this.
    I didn't say you have no moral integrety. I suggested you cant back into Dennet's pjilosophical cul de Sac without knowing that he thinks some "principles" have to be left dogmatic and unquestioned - guarding our defaults- just like your humanist/natural law principles which you can not logically derive but are still held to be values "up there" above us all. Dennet and you still rely on something you believe to be true.

And I would be perfectly happy to discuss things like moral nihilism, which I have done many times before. If you have questions about it, ask them in the "Moral absolutes" thread and I will answer them.
    Social Darwinism like memetics isn't anything like biological evolution of a species. It justy pretends to be.

The analogy is entirely appropriate. Social Darwinism uses the observation of Darwinian evolution to justify social principles. This is not a reflection of Darwinism (a true or false statement), or the moral integrity of Darwinists (who reject social Darwinism). Similarly, Totalitarianism and state-enforced atheism is not a reflection of atheism (a true or false statement), or the moral integrity of atheists (who reject Totalitarianism).
    So all the of atheistic regimes
    1. Were believers and professed atheism because they were lying
    or
    2. Just by coincidence all happened to be atheist.

Which is it?

Neither.

They want the percentage of religious schools to reflect the demand. Comparing this to brutal regimes borders on hysteria.

All journeys start with a single step.
    When a state religion was used to remove subversive, counter-cultural elements, it always resulted in cruelty and barbarism, at whatever scale was necessary for their goals to be achieved.

Not true! the Vatican has a State religion are they cruel and barbaric?

By the way what happened to all the "God commanded rape2 argument the atheists were touting earlier on?
    Again, the common property of all atrocities is the oppression and control of liberty.

Total freedom hedonism and just doing whatever you want isn't any better as it also results in chaos. Some rules are sometimes needed. Religious say those rulrs depend on natural law coming from God. Atheists say "there is no god" and there is no overarching moral authority. You yourself said that totalitarianism only comes about when there is no belief in a higher authority.
    Calling it a crusade also borders on hysteria.

Not really. I have attended Irish skeptics meetings and met such atheists myself.
    As for "not disavowing" them: You have not disavowed the Westboro baptist church,

Oh yes I have! I suggest you go and check.
    and I would not expect you to because you have not brought them into the conversation.

Actually I though i did bring them in but whether or not you expect me to is not a criterion for what i consider morally wrong. i don't even consider them Christians.
    So why would you expect me to disavow people I have not brought into the conversation?

Because i have asked you a direct question.

Do you reject the fundamentalists atheists?
    And all their unholy pronouncements?
    And all their evil works?
    Do you repent from endorsing their bitter stances?
    Exorcise your demons! :)
    My opinion overlaps most with Neil deGrasse Tyson. I have not yet found myself disagreeing with anything he has said, with the exception of how we should define "atheist".

Oh you follow a prophet?

I personally liked this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Burbidge
    Not just as a scientist but as someone who spoke about the politicisation of science and how free thinkers like him were punished by the mainstream "received view"
    As for the "New atheist" movement: I agree with, and am very much thankful for, Dawkins's writing on the axiological argument and intelligent design argument, but disagree with his attempts at theology.

Would "memetics" be his attempts at theology? :)
    I agree with Hitchen's opinions about the atrocities committed by islamofascist and Totalitarian regimes, and the oppression of rights (especially rights of women) that theocracy and "leader worship" regularly produce.
    There you go again!
    But Christiany at a paltry level compared to atheistic regimes. I must laugh. When it is Christians they are a "theocracy" and belief is to blame but when it is atheists it isn't their belief in "no God" it is "totalism". :)
    I agree with Lawrence Krauss's writings on "first cause" arguments. But agreeing with something someone has said does not mean I have to agree with everything they say.

I quite agree.

No. The only natural law they atheist humanists believe in is this.

...purportedly determined by nature, and thus universal i.e. not relative. not "man-made law".

I tend to lean more towards to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_justice
    The analogy is entirely appropriate. Social Darwinism uses the observation of Darwinian evolution to justify social principles. This is not a reflection of Darwinism (a true or false statement), or the moral integrity of Darwinists (who reject social Darwinism). Similarly, Totalitarianism and state-enforced atheism is not a reflection of atheism (a true or false statement), or the moral integrity of atheists (who reject Totalitarianism).

Not really you are saying

A: social Darwinism says it is Darwinism and models itself as if it was Darwinism but it isnt true Darwinism scientific sense

This would be analogous to

B: Totalitariasm says it is atheistic and models itself as if it was atheistic but it isn't true atheistic social structure

So then what is a true atheistic society modeled off atheism?
    Whenever was it attempted?
    What did it achieve?

Yes. That and worshiping the material. They are both basically going against the first commandment which ironically is fundamental. :)

Yes, it is. It's a mixed up world though, and finding a path to health of mind and joy in particular, is strewn with things that diminish the singular loveliness of freedom of thought and mind, a miraculous thing, in and of itself! nothing added or subtracted!

If one judges their existence based soley on the size of the cosmos - I despair that one never learned about the story of Jack and the Giant, and that beanstalk. Wonder and experience, is not a monopoly of the elite, no they are often blind, mathematicians or rationalists have their place but write their own epitaph too - when humanity diminishes the Universe to something magnificently huge, and in doing so diminishes the singular quality of being priviliged enough to view it, and get excited about more than mechanics - but envoke imagination they do a terrible injustice to both - excitement, and imagination...and humanity, and themselves.

No Prob ISAW, I was just interested in your views in particular, not in reopening the whole issue.

How about my ? to you on barring atheists from office ?

I think I already answered that. I would be against it. I mean the current Laboutr Leader had associations with the Official I(RA and the Sinn Féin Leader with the Provisional IRA . If they get elected then who am I to tell their constituents that the law should disregard their vote?
    But the law is what regulated a democracy and freedom of religion should allow atheists but prevent atheistic states from coming about.

I think I already answered that. I would be against it. I mean the current Laboutr Leader had associations with the Official I(RA and the Sinn Féin Leader with the Provisional IRA . If they get elected then who am I to tell their constituents that the law should disregard their vote?
    But the law is what regulated a democracy and freedom of religion should allow atheists but prevent atheistic states from coming about.

And how would you prevent such ''atheistic states'' from coming about ?

Nobody can Marien in a democracy, where it's the will of the people to elect individuals with a set of social ideals and set contructs that happen to reflect the majority! The question is not so much for ISAW, but for you...ask yourself the same question, whether you would like one or the other - you're only a simple vote throughout a pretty horrific, and also pretty special history of humanity, a huge learning curve to examine.

Myself, I think the answer lies in listening to the people, and democracy by it's very nature is obliged to do so and not adopt a philosophy that is gloomy - but certainly they are not always right, the people either! How exciting!

Nobody can Marien in a democracy, where it's the will of the people to elect individuals with a set of social ideals and set contructs that happen to reflect the majority! The question is not so much for ISAW, but for you...ask yourself the same question, whether you would like one or the other - you're only a simple vote throughout a pretty horrific, and also pretty special history of humanity, a huge learning curve to examine.

Myself, I think the answer lies in listening to the people, but certainly they are not always right! How exciting!

Glad to hear you say that lmaopml ( and I hope ISAW would agree) . I don't have the fear of ''atheistic states'' as ISAW calls them though. I would love to live in a democratic secular humanist state.

Glad to hear you say that lmaopml ( and I hope ISAW would agree) . I don't have the fear of ''atheistic states'' as ISAW calls them though. I would love to live in a democratic secular humanist state.

I would ideally love to live in a democratic state that the foundations are built on Christian ideals - I have my wish already, my State pleads to more than just whim, but safeguards democracy, the family, the value of the individual, no matter how bright or smart, big or small, human life is special! Which of course it is....even the most narrow minded naturalist must marvel at their ability to marvel..

The truth is stranger than fiction though - society may polarise with regards to the value assessment of God on the infinitely unique human witnesses we find ourselves amongst, on the one hand the the assessment of a truth enshrined in gloomy realisation of replication and reductionist philosophy is simply well gloomy, unimaginative, and uninspiring, against the natural order of things actually....on the other something that reduces the size of all things, even the cosmos to experience and how important things are that are observed, from the smallest thing to the biggest - big and small, are only seperated in the mind of the observer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

I don't have the fear of ''atheistic states'' as ISAW calls them though.

You better enlighten yourself as to what one is then, last time it was tried in Europe was Albania in the 70's. It didn't end well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
    I would love to live in a democratic secular humanist state.

A truly secular state does not favour atheism, theism, or any other set of beliefs over another.

• Advertisement

I think the minister blind sighted his voters, and misrepresented his agenda, which has only become apparent since his election.

Imo, I think he won't do so well next time round - people will judge him based on his much publicised 50% ideal passing over of hard fought for schools, pushing people towards his idealist worldview etc. - It remains to be seen how this view has been broadly acceptable - I think we must wait and see..that's democracy! I have faith in people too, that when they hear a fundamentalist speak of fundamentalism they will well and truely recognise it and duly roll their eyes.

I think the minister blind sighted his voters, and misrepresented his agenda, which has only become apparent since his election.

Imo, I think he won't do so well next time round - people will judge him based on his much publicised 50% ideal passing over of hard fought for schools, pushing people towards his idealist worldview etc. - It remains to be seen how this view has been broadly acceptable - I think we must wait and see..that's democracy! I have faith in people too, that when they hear a fundamentalist speak of fundamentalism they will well and truely recognise it and duly roll their eyes.

Not really Imaopml , I don't think has ever disguised the fact that he is a non-believer and why you would call him a fundamentalist I don't know.

And the removal of schools from the churches patronage is long overdue- and even church members are saying that and calling for it.

As a matter of fact as politicians go in recent years he strikes me as one of the more honourable ones.

ISAW: Earlier you mentioned Socratic dialogue. What you do is not socratic dialogue. I have found several implied accusations in your posts which have nothing to do with anything I have said. I have had to remove chunks of irrelevant parts of your post. We are talking about your misunderstanding of what it means to be an atheist, and the relationship between atheism, morality, and government.
    All journeys start with a single step.

I think I'll let the hysteria in that statement speak for itself.
    Not true! the Vatican has a State religion are they cruel and barbaric?

I said "When a state religion was used to remove subversive, counter-cultural elements, it always resulted in cruelty and barbarism, at whatever scale was necessary for their goals to be achieved.". When Catholicism was used to remove counter-cultural elements, it did indeed result in barbarism.
    Total freedom hedonism and just doing whatever you want isn't any better as it also results in chaos. Some rules are sometimes needed. Religious say those rulrs depend on natural law coming from God. Atheists say "there is no god" and there is no overarching moral authority. You yourself said that totalitarianism only comes about when there is no belief in a higher authority.

And?
    There you go again!
    But Christiany at a paltry level compared to atheistic regimes. I must laugh. When it is Christians they are a "theocracy" and belief is to blame but when it is atheists it isn't their belief in "no God" it is "totalism". :)

Therefore theocracy and totalitarianism should be avoided.
    Not really you are saying

A: social Darwinism says it is Darwinism and models itself as if it was Darwinism but it isnt true Darwinism scientific sense

More specifically, Social Darwinism (a governmental policy) is not implied by Darwinism (a true or false scientific theory).
    This would be analogous to

B: Totalitariasm says it is atheistic and models itself as if it was atheistic but it isn't true atheistic social structure

Totalitarianism (a governmental policy) is not implied by atheism (a true or false ontological statement).
    What did it achieve?

I do not know what you mean by "true atheistic". An atheistic society can be a totalitarian society, or a humanitarian society. They would both be "atheistic", but their governmental policies would not be "modelled off atheism". One would be modelled off complete state authority, and the oppression of human rights. The other would be modelled off principles of compassion, altruism, and individual rights.

I'd support laws which prevent them. I think the courts have enough law to prevent them anyway.
    In Ireland we basically do. Of course iof atheists claim they have to take 50% of the schools out of religious ethos when people want them in religious ethos I would question that should it happen.
    A Republic by the way is a democracy regulated by law
    Not really Imaopml , I don't think has ever disguised the fact that he is a non-believer and why you would call him a fundamentalist I don't know.

I'd call removing 50% of schools from ethos rather fundamental for starters.
    And the removal of schools from the churches patronage is long overdue- and even church members are saying that and calling for it.

Yes if five percent specifically want something else the church are prepared to support them. Nothing like 50%!
    As a matter of fact as politicians go in recent years he strikes me as one of the more honourable ones.

And "honour" is based on what standard?
    We are talking about your misunderstanding of what it means to be an atheist, and the relationship between atheism, morality, and government.

Yes when atheism was used as a principle to govern then society suffered. Christians Muslims and Jews come together weekly to express a common belief in what they view as the source of all moral good.
    Out of that (without any government involvement) much positive works are done for the poor hungry sick etc.
    Wher are the atheist meetings? How has atheism offered anything to society?

I think I'll let the hysteria in that statement speak for itself.

Wait till your house tax and all the other new taxes and pay cuts hit you and we will see if you feel the same way.

I think the quote is from Mao about the "long march" was he hysterical or did he actually suceed in taking over china the largest economy in the world for four of the last five centuries! And subsequently wrecking it and putting it behind for the 20th century.
    I said "When a state religion was used to remove subversive, counter-cultural elements, it always resulted in cruelty and barbarism, at whatever scale was necessary for their goals to be achieved.". When Catholicism was used to remove counter-cultural elements, it did indeed result in barbarism.

so the Vatican is "barbaric" if they remove gay Marches and Dawkings calling for the Pope to by gaoled from St Peters?
    Therefore theocracy and totalitarianism should be avoided.

Theocrats at least believe in a higher power. But you now distinguish between the two with the use of AND so you admit they are different
    More specifically, Social Darwinism (a governmental policy) is not implied by Darwinism (a true or false scientific theory).

Because you believe social Darwinism is not scientific Darwinism
    Totalitarianism (a governmental policy) is not implied by atheism (a true or false ontological statement).

Because you believe totalism is not a true Societal atheism

What did it achieve?
    I do not know what you mean by "true atheistic".

A society modeled off atheism. Whenever was it attempted?
    What did it achieve?

It doesnt have to be a whole state. Just even a "parish" group.
    An atheistic society can be a totalitarian society, or a humanitarian society.

Care to list all these humanitarian atheistic societies in history?
    All I know is the totalist ones. Care to fill in the gaps in my knowledge?
    Ther are loads of Christian groups from your local VdP and meals on wheels on up to Trocaire etc. Wher are the equivalent atheist ones?
    They would both be "atheistic", but their governmental policies would not be "modelled off atheism". One would be modelled off complete state authority, and the oppression of human rights. The other would be modelled off principles of compassion, altruism, and individual rights.

And where are the examples of the atheistic societies which worked with compassion, altruism, and individual rights?

I'd support laws which prevent them. I think the courts have enough law to prevent them anyway.

In Ireland we basically do. Of course iof atheists claim they have to take 50% of the schools out of religious ethos when people want them in religious ethos I would question that should it happen.
    A Republic by the way is a democracy regulated by law

I'd call removing 50% of schools from ethos rather fundamental for starters.

Yes if five percent specifically want something else the church are prepared to support them. Nothing like 50%!

And "honour" is based on what standard?

Yes when atheism was used as a principle to govern then society suffered. Christians Muslims and Jews come together weekly to express a common belief in what they view as the source of all moral good.
    Out of that (without any government involvement) much positive works are done for the poor hungry sick etc.
    Wher are the atheist meetings? How has atheism offered anything to society?

Wait till your house tax and all the other new taxes and pay cuts hit you and we will see if you feel the same way.

I think the quote is from Mao about the "long march" was he hysterical or did he actually suceed in taking over china the largest economy in the world for four of the last five centuries! And subsequently wrecking it and putting it behind for the 20th century.

so the Vatican is "barbaric" if they remove gay Marches and Dawkings calling for the Pope to by gaoled from St Peters?

Theocrats at least believe in a higher power. But you now distinguish between the two with the use of AND so you admit they are different

What did it achieve?

A society modeled off atheism. Whenever was it attempted?
    What did it achieve?

Ther are loads of Christian groups from your local VdP and meals on wheels on up to Trocaire etc. Wher are the equivalent atheist ones?

And where are the examples of the atheistic societies which worked with compassion, altruism, and individual rights?

I don't think it is possible to make any reasonable reply to you as long as you continuue to insist atheist/totalitarian are synonymous. I may as well insist that Hitler.-Franco- Salazar Mussolini are synonymous with catholicism .

Where are the example of vegetarian societies doing good works or pessimists or impressionists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I would ideally love to live in a democratic state that the foundations are built on Christian ideals - I have my wish already, my State pleads to more than just whim, but safeguards democracy, the family, the value of the individual, no matter how bright or smart, big or small, human life is special! Which of course it is....even the most narrow minded naturalist must marvel at their ability to marvel..

Apologies for being offtopic here, but can you define Christian ideals and which ones?

I say this because it's quite a wide range. Some people would define Christian ideals as sticking to the Bible and it's word. Making Civil (Gay) Marriage illegal, removing Divorce laws, and some would even go so far as to not eating meat on Fridays.

On the same topic though, I hope for an Ireland where Religion of all kinds are welcomed, as well as Atheism and Agnosticism, but ideally where the State and 'Church' are separated. In other words, the country is run for all the people, without a heavy influence from Religious backgrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Apologies for being offtopic here, but can you define Christian ideals and which ones?

I say this because it's quite a wide range. Some people would define Christian ideals as sticking to the Bible and it's word. Making Civil (Gay) Marriage illegal, removing Divorce laws, and some would even go so far as to not eating meat on Fridays.

On the same topic though, I hope for an Ireland where Religion of all kinds are welcomed, as well as Atheism and Agnosticism, but ideally where the State and 'Church' are separated. In other words, the country is run for all the people, without a heavy influence from Religious backgrounds.

At the end of the day it will come down to the democracy. I think there is a certain value in having a Secular society, but even there what do you define as a good secular society. Reality is that Ireland really does tend to have a right wing view of many things, its not like the US which has a clearer defined system of politics. You can say, lets have Gay Marriage.. Two men want to life together.. Thats their choice, don't want to ge into a debate on the topic. But its when this right is forced on others to believe.. Like in school sylabus. Its never straight forward.

The truth is stranger than fiction though - society may polarise with regards to the value assessment of God on the infinitely unique human witnesses we find ourselves amongst, on the one hand the the assessment of a truth enshrined in gloomy realisation of replication and reductionist philosophy is simply well gloomy, unimaginative, and uninspiring, against the natural order of things actually....on the other something that reduces the size of all things, even the cosmos to experience and how important things are that are observed, from the smallest thing to the biggest - big and small, are only seperated in the mind of the observer.

I prefer to think we live in a democratic state with some Greco/Roman values that are shared with Christianity.

I agree that trutch is indeed stranger than fiction and the search for is is in no way gloomy. One could describe it as mankind's highest calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

when this right is forced on others to believe
    Yes thats a terrible imposition. (sarcasm)

• Advertisement

<usual contrived nonsense about atheists contributing to society

I have answered this. Atheism is a true or false statement. Atheists contribute through science, charity, and citizenry. You gave no rebuttal.
    <usual hysterical nonsense about Western atheists resurrecting Mao's China>

I have answered this. Atheists have no interest in Totalitarianism. If an atheist society emerges in the west, it will be through a pluralist, humanist society.

Catholic states are barbaric when they killed gay people and non-Catholics, using the religion to oppress.

Yes. They have similarities, but they are both bad. And?

Yes. Proponents of Social Darwinism also believe in Darwinism, but this in no way implies Social Darwinism follows from Darwinism.

Totalitarianism is not atheism. Totalitarians are atheists, but this in no way implies totalitarianism follows from atheism. Do you accept this? Do you accept that all atheists are not Totalitarians?
    What did it achieve?

Again, there were no societies "modelled off" atheism. Just as you can not model a society around superconductivity. Were Totalitarian societies "atheistic"? Sure, but it was the Totalitarian model, not the non-existent "atheism model", that causes atrocities.

http://www.squidoo.com/Atheist-Charities

And again, there are also the Nobel Laureates, and atheist scientists. I am really beginning to wonder if you have a point to convey any more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement