Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Zombrex, have you missed post 1632 ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Zombrex wrote: »
    What are you talking about?
    Whatyou stated to TQE.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76208313&postcount=1629
    But you present logic that could be applied to any religion. When you are pressed on this the response is that the Gospels make sense to you from a moral point of view
    If the justification for belief in Christianity when applied to any other religion requires you believe that religion too, then clearly this is not the reason one picks Christianity.

But he isn't applying it to any religion. you are! so off you go and show how it applies to all religions if you want. It is a claim he didn't make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zombrex, have you missed post 1632 ?

No. Was there something particular you wanted a reply for. You seem to be saying you have your reasons but you don't want to explain them. Not much to discuss.

ISAW wrote: »
    But he isn't applying it to any religion.

Yes, that is the point. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Yes, that is the point. :rolleyes:

WhatI mean is he isnt applying it to all religions. He is only apply ing it to christianity. He isnt claim it true in general for all religions. If you think it is then go and waster you time trying to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Groan.:rolleyes:

The 400 virgins did not come from Shiloh, they came from Jabesh Gilead

Er, you did cite a Chapter that referred to both Jabesh Gilead and Shgiloh. So you can hardly blame me for referring to the second group rather than the first.

But the inhabitants of Jabesh-Gilead were Israelites too (Judges 21:8), so this is a totally different kettle of fish to Deut 21 or Numbers 31.
    So what did they do, they killed the men and every woman not a virgin, and then they took the virgins back and gave them as wives.

Sound familiar?

Yes, it sounds like a very distorted compilation of Deut 21 and Numbers 31 by someone trying to shoehorn a horrible example of human sinfulness into their atheistic agenda.
    I don't care if God did or didn't order this particular act of rape and pillage. The point is that this was business as usual for the Israelites, whether it was under their own command or under God's.

You're right. You don't care. You start a discussion by alleging that God commanded rape, and then you don't care whether Judges 21 is actually relevant to God commanding anything or not. That pretty well sums it up.
    The idea that if God had commanded it the women would have been treated differently is utterly ridiculous.
    Right, then please don't keep pretending that any of this is relevant to what God commanded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

No. Was there something particular you wanted a reply for. You seem to be saying you have your reasons but you don't want to explain them. Not much to discuss.

No I'm saying unless you have genuine questions you genuinely want clarified about what I believe and why, (rather than pretending what I have said and then trying to dismiss it), I'm not interested in spending time writing long answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

PDN wrote: »
    I'm hardly ducking and diving. I'm using clear-headed logic.

Many people get married for less than perfect reasons. That does not equate to rape.

They have the choice to walk away from the marriage. That is the choice that matters.

So did she have a choice to simply be a captive and not marry anyone else?

Was she given time to mourn for her parents before making that choice?

We both know she didn't. So it is sloppy logic to pretend that is an apt comparison.

If you present poor logic then expect it to be skewered.

Ok , lets continue with the poor logic then -

You are equating a choice of either marriage or servitude with a free choice ?

You are saying that as Andromache was not given time to mourn her parents that makes a big difference ?

By the way , correct me if I am wrong , but did you not pull Zombrex up earlier for saying these womens families were killed ?

ISAW wrote: »
    How so?

so what?

Yes a reasonable valid and reliable one.

1. Im not! i have already shown you thatmy argument isnt bnased on "caould shoullda woulda..." pure conjecture or on "make up your own morals yourself" but on textual interdependence and consistency

2. Even if I was just expressing an opinion it isnt a question of balance!
    It is for those saying "the Bible shows God ordered rape" to support their claims!

I was referring to Wicknight and his "God commanded rape" claims.

I was also referring to Wicknight on the murder issue- but no matter.

It is not up to anyone to prove anything surely. I am correct in saying that for a lot of Christians the bible in the beginning and end of it - is that not so ?

Do we need special guidance before we can interpret it, ? that was certainly the position of the Catholic Church when I was growing up .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

OK at last people are starting to get it.
    PDN, I'm sorry if you took it I was refering to Christians alone with my last post.
    Deut. is putting down rules for things that were happening. Rape is what was happening.
    God dosn't come into it. The fact that the passage makes reference to having 'defiled her' admits rape.
    The point is that people do bad things, God dosn't awalys do anything about that, some would say never but I'll count someone speaking against it as a posible intervention for the sake of argurement.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    It is not up to anyone to prove anything surely. I am correct in saying that for a lot of Christians the bible in the beginning and end of it - is that not so ?

Do we need special guidance before we can interpret it, ? that was certainly the position of the Catholic Church when I was growing up .

Last point, yes some reading of the history and context helps. Do we need spin doctors to tell us how to apply it to our lives. No.
    Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.
    As true today as when it was written :eek:

BTW I found this Jewish opinion of the passage in Deuteronomy, might be of interest to some of ye.
    http://www.utoronto.ca/wjudaism/journal/vol1n1/v1n1elma.htm

Ok , lets continue with the poor logic then -

You are equating a choice of either marriage or servitude with a free choice ?

That all depends.

If you kidnap a woman who would otherwise be free and say, "Marry me or else I'll make you a slave!" then that is a different thing from approaching a woman who is already part of a group of captives and asking, "Will you marry me?"

One is blackmail. The other is a choice. It might not be a great choice, as choices in real life are often limited, but it is a free choice.
    You are saying that as Andromache was not given time to mourn her parents that makes a big difference ?
    That and the fact that she had no choice whatsoever, and was kept as a concubine rather than as a wife. Put all that together and you have a huge difference.
    By the way , correct me if I am wrong , but did you not pull Zombrex up earlier for saying these womens families were killed ?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    OK at last people are starting to get it.
    PDN, I'm sorry if you took it I was refering to Christians alone with my last post.
    Deut. is putting down rules for things that were happening. Rape is what was happening.

No, that is incorrect. Deuteronomy was laying down rules for what would happen in the future. The rules in Deuteronomy were laid down in the wilderness before the Israelites entered the Promised Land, and gave them instructions for how they should behave once they possessed the land and fought wars as a nation.

What would happen was wars - rape doesn't come into it (except in the minds of certain posters).
    God dosn't come into it. The fact that the passage makes reference to having 'defiled her' admits rape.
    No it doesn't. If a man married a woman and then divorced her, she would find it almost impossible to find another husband. Therefore some sort of compensation would be due.

That all depends.

If you kidnap a woman who would otherwise be free and say, "Marry me or else I'll make you a slave!" then that is a different thing from approaching a woman who is already part of a group of captives and asking, "Will you marry me?"

One is blackmail. The other is a choice. It might not be a great choice, as choices in real life are often limited, but it is a free choice.

That and the fact that she had no choice whatsoever, and was kept as a concubine rather than as a wife. Put all that together and you have a huge difference.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

How can a choice than is either/or be free , would it be regarded as free today for example ?

And lets be brutal about it - the options are- satisfy this man sexually or go work the fields or skin hides or whatever they did in those days.

You see a difference approaching a group that were already captive ?

How so, the guy walks up to the prettiest girl he sees of the kidnapped/captives ( terms are interchangeable) girls and says marry me or work the fields . You see no coercion in this ?

how is that not ( to quote your own post ) marry me or I will make you a slave ?

No, that is incorrect. Deuteronomy was laying down rules for what would happen in the future. The rules in Deuteronomy were laid down in the wilderness before the Israelites entered the Promised Land, and gave them instructions for how they should behave once they possessed the land and fought wars as a nation.
    So much here to pull you up on but it too late to be even posting
    What would happen was wars - rape doesn't come into it (except in the minds of certain posters).

No it doesn't. If a man married a woman and then divorced her, she would find it almost impossible to find another husband. Therefore some sort of compensation would be due.

Spin doctoring again. Context and time PDN. Deut. had to be written after Mosses cos he dies in it. Anyway its not like that was the only war was ever fought. As to laying down laws for the future! Eh! what use are laws for the past? cant apply law retrospectively.
    Night ppl, thanks for the fish :D

Last point, yes some reading of the history and context helps. Do we need spin doctors to tell us how to apply it to our lives. No.

As true today as when it was written :eek:

BTW I found this Jewish opinion of the passage in Deuteronomy, might be of interest to some of ye.
    http://www.utoronto.ca/wjudaism/journal/vol1n1/v1n1elma.htm

That Jewish opinion would seem to bear out what I and others have being saying, would it not ? That rape and other sexual violence did occur ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not at all, quite the opposite in fact. I recognize I do it, which is why I don't pretend that the moral systems I pick are some how objectively true.

I did not pretend that the moral system I picked is objectively true. Please show me at what point I said such a thing. Go on, I dare you.

What I actually said was that both objective morality exists along with subjective morality. And I attempted to use objective truth as a direct analogy. I never claimed that I had a monopoly on objective morality, just like I have never claimed to have an inside line to objective truth. What I have said is that objective morality and objective truth exist whether or not we acknowledge it. Even at the level of thought experiment this, I believe, is sound logic. Now if you have a problem with that then argue against what I am saying, not what you imagine or wish me to say.

Stating I have said anything more than this - which is exactly what you have done - means that you have misrepresented me.
    Yes this seems to be the standard excuse when such an idea is put forward. I want to be having sex with lots and lots of different women every night, but I don't because Christianity tells me it is wrong. ;)

It's not an excuse. It a direct rebuttal to your claim that people adopt a moral system because it suits them. One reason they might adopt a particular moral system is because *Shock! Horror!* they happen to think it is true.
    There is a fundamental difference between what you desire and what you believe to be moral.

Why do you insist of inventing arguments of your own making? It like playing chess against yourself and attributing your crappy moves to somebody else.

I never stated there wasn't "a fundamental difference between what you desire and what you believe to be moral". What I actually said was that the two can clash. I'll add to that and say that desire can control reason. What you hold to be moral may change depending on the pull of your desires. The opposite is true as well.
    In fact part of the appeal of religions is that they give justification to the notion that giving into desire is inherently bad, a concept found almost universally through human culture.

That's rubbish. Firstly not all desires are bad and no one here has claimed otherwise. Secondly, the concept of self-denial is as much a part of certain philosophies as it is a part of certain religions.

Incidentally, not all religions are one and the same, just as not all philosophies are the same. That is why, for example, hedonism is not the same as Stoicism, and Christianity is not the same as the worship of Dionysus.
    The existence of objective morality is largely irrelevant...

I don't agree. Stale mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

That Jewish opinion would seem to bear out what I and others have being saying, would it not ? That rape and other sexual violence did occur ?

Nobody said it didn't! It happens today too..which is a greater cause of concern surely?

What the thread is about is whether God ordered it to be so, or that the gripe is that he allowed it to be so and why?....Christians acknowledge that he knows all things, but allows freedom...this is instantaneous for the one who willed the pale blue dot with all it's eery uniqueness, outside of time, outside of place.

Some see only a dot, and equate their value to the dot, others see beauty in the pale blue dot that observes the universe in it's magnificence...and feel honoured, and thank God for the beauty of the pale blue dot, and how incredibly unique we are to observe beauty...we're spookily alone.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Nobody said it didn't! It happens today too..which is a greater cause of concern surely?

What the thread is about is whether God ordered it to be so, or that the gripe is that he allowed it to be so and why?....Christians acknowledge that he knows all things, but allows freedom...this is instantaneous for the one who willed the pale blue dot with all it's eery uniqueness, outside of time, outside of place.

Some see only a dot, and equate their value to the dot, others see beauty in the pale blue dot that observes the universe in it's magnificence...and feel honoured, and thank God for the beauty of the pale blue dot, and how incredibly unique we are to observe beauty...we're spookily alone.

So get off the fence then , did he or did'nt he ? and we will join up the dots later.

Er, you did cite a Chapter that referred to both Jabesh Gilead and Shgiloh. So you can hardly blame me for referring to the second group rather than the first.

Well I would have expected you to actually read it before you commented.
    But the inhabitants of Jabesh-Gilead were Israelites too (Judges 21:8), so this is a totally different kettle of fish to Deut 21 or Numbers 31.

Siege a city, kill the men and women, take the virgins. Seems pretty similar PDN.
    Yes, it sounds like a very distorted compilation of Deut 21 and Numbers 31 by someone trying to shoehorn a horrible example of human sinfulness into their atheistic agenda.

So you have run out of counter-arguments and you are just going to fall back on the old "atheist agenda" nonsense. Good stuff. And on the atheism debate thread as all, the shame of me ;)
    You're right. You don't care. You start a discussion by alleging that God commanded rape, and then you don't care whether Judges 21 is actually relevant to God commanding anything or not. That pretty well sums it up.

Lol, oh dear you really will argue the sky is black won't you.

As I have stated many times at this point that God commanded force marriage and rape in Deuteronomy.

Judges 21 does not add support to what God commanded. God doesn't seem to be commanding anything in Judge 21.

But then that isn't why it was brought up. It was brought up to demonstrate the silliness of the assumption that in Deuteronomy what is being described is consensual marriage.

The Israelites did not bother with the issue of consent of the women. Such a concept was alien to them. There is therefore no reason to suppose they bothered with it when they were following God's orders either.

Remember your argument (which you have stated you aren't prepared to defend) is that the Israelites wouldn't do this, not that God wouldn't command it.
    PDN wrote:
    Now, if she absolutely dug her heels in, and screamed that there was no way she would marry this guy, then would she be dragged screaming off anyway? I see no hint in the text that would be the case. If it did, then that would certainly be rape. But it could easily be the case that she would be set to work as a slave/domestic servant on a farm or homestead somewhere. How many husbands would really want a wife under those circumstances anyway? That's sounds like a good way for a man to get his throat cut while he's sleeping and his wife is chopping the vegetables!

Whether the Israelites were actually acting under God's orders or not, they were carrying out war as they understood it. How would they understand that consent was irrelevant if that was not how they had carried out all their "just" wars previously. You seriously think that it is plausible that when they were carrying out sieges and slavery under the commandment of God they considered the wishes of the women they captured, but when they just thought they were they didn't?

You bring a new meaning to the term "plausible interpretation"
    Right, then please don't keep pretending that any of this is relevant to what God commanded.

It is relevant to the possible interpretations of take women and marry them as described in Deut.

Your flimsy argument that consensual marriage was a plausible interpretation is now even more flimsy given how we see the Israelites behaved in Judges.

Tell us again how the sky is black PDN :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I did not pretend that the moral system I picked is objectively true. Please show me at what point I said such a thing. Go on, I dare you.

Ok, you seem to not get what pretend means, but you believe God's morals are objectively true correct?
    What I actually said was that both objective morality exists along with subjective morality. And I attempted to use objective truth as a direct analogy. I never claimed that I had a monopoly on objective morality, just like I have never claimed to have an inside line to objective truth. What I have said is that objective morality and objective truth exist whether or not we acknowledge it. Even at the level of thought experiment this, I believe, is sound logic.

Er, no. Objective truth is not the same thing as objective morality. Objective morality is a thing (if it exists), where is truth is just a comment on a statement about reality.

Objective morality could just as easily not exist at all.
    It's not an excuse. It a direct rebuttal to your claim that people adopt a moral system because it suits them.

I didn't claim people adopt moral systems because it suits them.

I claimed people adopt moral systems that match their own notions of morality, notions they had before they started to evaluate the religion in a serious fashion. These pre-conceive moral notions become imprinted on the subsequent interpretations of the religion.
    One reason they might adopt a particular moral system is because *Shock! Horror!* they happen to think it is true.

I've no doubt you think it is true.
    I never stated there wasn't "a fundamental difference between what you desire and what you believe to be moral".

No you didn't. What you did was bring up desire when I was discussing morality. Either this was a deliberate act of misdirection and straw manning, or you didn't understand the difference between desire (what we want) and morality (what we believe to be correct behaviour).
    I don't agree. Stale mate.

Of course you don't agree. The issue is that you are fast running out of arguments for why you don't agree (which could explain why you are trying to distort what I'm saying by shifting the focus from morality to desire)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭dead one

Objective morality could just as easily not exist at all.

"The ecstasy of thought is dangerous in a nation--Where the individuals observe no rule--Though God‐gifted intellect is the lamp of an age---The freedom of thought is a Satanic concept"

How can a choice than is either/or be free , would it be regarded as free today for example ?

And lets be brutal about it - the options are- satisfy this man sexually or go work the fields or skin hides or whatever they did in those days.

No, you are presenting this in a very dishonest way. The option is not 'satisfy a man sexually or ...'. If a man merely wants to be satisfied sexually then there are easier ways of going about that than bringing a woman into your house, listen to her noisily mourning her parents for a full month, then going through all the rigmarole of marrying her.

Really, marien, you make comments about how no-one should make smart-alec asides etc, but do you not see how this totally dishonest misrepresentation of others' position is a bit trollish and invites mockery?

Btw, we don't think that slavery in Ancient Israel was anything like the industrial type slavery as practiced in 18th Century Caribbean sugar plantations or in modern Communist States. Being a slave would be more like living with a family, helping herd the animals, helping prepare the food etc. The Israelites didn't have salt mines or sugar plantations. It was still degrading and was still servitude - but references to 'skinning hides' etc really distort any reasonable discussion by making it sound like we're talking about Belsen or something.

But certainly either/or is a free choice. As I said before, that's what choice means - you choose one thing or another.

You see a difference approaching a group that were already captive ?

How so, the guy walks up to the prettiest girl he sees of the kidnapped/captives ( terms are interchangeable) girls and says marry me or work the fields . You see no coercion in this ?

how is that not ( to quote your own post ) marry me or I will make you a slave ?

It's totally different, and I'm amazed that you can't see it without me spelling it out to you.

There is a world of a difference between:
    a) Approachiong someone already in bad circumstances, and offering a proposition.
    b) Threatening somebody who is not in bad circumstances, that if they don't comply with your proposition then they will end up in those bad circumstances.

For example:
    a) An American GI approaches a German girl who is living in poverty in the wreckage of 1945 Berlin and asks her to marry him. "Let me take you away from all this, sweetheart."
    b) The American GI approaches an affluent German girl and says, "Marry me, or else I'll have you stripped of your assets and forced into poverty."

or

a) A guy in the Southern US in the 1700s falls in love with a negro slave, and offers to marry her and move with her to the North where she will no longer be a slave.
    b) The guy goes up to a black woman who is already free and says, "Marry me, or else I'll put you into slavery."

Now, if you genuinely claim that there is no difference in each case between (a) and (b) then we have some real problems and should probably give up trying to discuss anything in a logical way.

Ethically, there is a huge difference between:
    a) Offering a proposal of marriage which will mean the woman getting out of a hard situation that she is already in.
    b) Offering a proposal of marriage with the threat that a refusal will mean the imposition of a hard situation where, if the proposal had not been made, the woman would not have ended up in the hard situation.

Option (b) in each case is blackmail and coercion. It is "Do what I want or I will make something bad happen to you that otherwise would not have happened."

But option (a) is a proposal that says, "Do what I want, and it will get you out of the bad thing that has already happened to you."

It is a free choice. It might not be a romantic choice, but as I've already said earlier, most marriages in human history have, particularly for women, been more about pragmatic choices rather than about romance.

Well I would have expected you to actually read it before you commented.
    And I did. It refers to two distinct incidents in very different circumstances. If you didn't want us to talk about what happened at Shiloh then you shouldn't have quoted the whole passage.

It was a simple misunderstanding - no need to be snarky about that when there's plenty of substantive things that we disagree on.
    Siege a city, kill the men and women, take the virgins. Seems pretty similar PDN.
    No, it isn't, Virgins aren't mentioned in Deuteronomy 21. And nothing about taking wives is mentioned in Numbers 21.

It sounds like you're shoehorning again.
    So you have run out of counter-arguments and you are just going to fall back on the old "atheist agenda" nonsense. Good stuff. And on the atheism debate thread as all, the shame of me
    And you've never made a comment about Christians or 'you guys' (as you like to put it) being biased, have you? :rolleyes:

Pot. Kettle, Black
    Lol, oh dear you really will argue the sky is black won't you.
    So, just to clarify, you're posting at 3.30am and making sarcastic comments about the sky being black? :pac:
    As I have stated many times at this point that God commanded force marriage and rape in Deuteronomy.
    Stated, and failed to support it with any evidence. There is no reference to rape in Deuteronomy 21. If there were you would have pointed to it by now instead of dancing around every time we ask you to point to it.
    Judges 21 does not add support to what God commanded. God doesn't seem to be commanding anything in Judge 21.

But then that isn't why it was brought up. It was brought up to demonstrate the silliness of the assumption that in Deuteronomy what is being described is consensual marriage.

The Israelites did not bother with the issue of consent of the women. Such a concept was alien to them. There is therefore no reason to suppose they bothered with it when they were following God's orders either.

So you make an assertion that God commanded rape.

Then, when challenged to point to anywhere in the Bible where God commanded rape, you point to a passage where you admit yourself that God didn't command rape. In fact, you ppoint to a passage which, like most of Judges, described what happened when people just did what was right in their own eyes.

Can we use this same line of logic in other historical arenas?

Can we claim that Barack Obama ordered American soldiers to shoot children in Afghanistan?

After all, I can present evidence of where American soldiers shot children in a different war while not obeying any orders. So, in the world of Wicknightian logic and Humpty Dumpty language, that proves the silliness of any claim that Barack Obama did not indeed order them to shoot children.

Keep this up and repeat it enough times, and maybe someone will end up believing that the sky is black at 3.30am. ;)

Remember your argument (which you have stated you aren't prepared to defend) is that the Israelites wouldn't do this, not that God wouldn't command it.
    Wow! Where did the goal posts just go? :eek:

Can you please link to where I made that argument?

My argument all along has been that there is no record in the Bible of God commanding the Israelites to rape anyone, and that therefore your assertion is flat out wrong.

Why on earth would I argue that the Israelites (being sinful human beings) would never do anything nasty?

So please either link to where I made such an argument or withdraw that claim as untrue.
    Your flimsy argument that consensual marriage was a plausible interpretation is now even more flimsy given how we see the Israelites behaved in Judges.
    Yes, because how soldiers behave when they are expressly disobeying orders makes it a flimsy argument that they might have behaved differently when they were obeying orders. :rolleyes:

Spin doctoring again. Context and time PDN. Deut. had to be written after Mosses cos he dies in it. Anyway its not like that was the only war was ever fought. As to laying down laws for the future! Eh! what use are laws for the past? cant apply law retrospectively.
    Night ppl, thanks for the fish :D

Deuteronomy's final edit was certainly after Moses' death, but the events it is describing (including the deutero-nomos - literally second giving of the law) occurred during Moses' lifetime.

Now, if you want to argue that Deuteronomy was re-edited etc. to fit with later events then that is going to create a wonderful piece of circular logic. We are going to ask the Christians in this forum to reject the Bible as immoral, on the basis that, if you already accept the atheist rejection of the Bible as an accurate record, it might refer to rape if you read between the lines enough.

Do you see the problem with that line of reasoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm hardly ducking and diving. I'm using clear-headed logic.

Many people get married for less than perfect reasons. That does not equate to rape.
    Getting married for less than perfect reasons is one thing, getting married when you are effectively under duress is quite another.

Ethically, there is a huge difference between:
    a) Offering a proposal of marriage which will mean the woman getting out of a hard situation that she is already in.
    b) Offering a proposal of marriage with the threat that a refusal will mean the imposition of a hard situation where, if the proposal had not been made, the woman would not have ended up in the hard situation.

Option (b) in each case is blackmail and coercion. It is "Do what I want or I will make something bad happen to you that otherwise would not have happened."

But option (a) is a proposal that says, "Do what I want, and it will get you out of the bad thing that has already happened to you."

It is a free choice. It might not be a romantic choice, but as I've already said earlier, most marriages in human history have, particularly for women, been more about pragmatic choices rather than about romance.

But the reason the woman is in the position she find herself in, having to make this choice, is due to the actions of the man, or his people. For a modern perspective here is the current UK legislation.
    First, the legal definition of rape:
    1 RapeE+W
    This section has no associated Explanatory Notes
    (1)A person (A) commits an offence if—
    (a)he intentionally penetrates the vagina, anus or mouth of another person (B) with his penis,
    (b)B does not consent to the penetration, and
    (c)A does not reasonably believe that B consents.
    (2)Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents.
    (3)Sections 75 and 76 apply to an offence under this section.
    (4)A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable, on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for life.

Here is section 75 which I think is quite relevant to this discussion and is what Marionbad is trying get at and what PDN is trying to avoid.
    75 Evidential presumptions about consentE+W
    This section has no associated Explanatory Notes
    (1)If in proceedings for an offence to which this section applies it is proved—
    (a)that the defendant did the relevant act,
    (b)that any of the circumstances specified in subsection (2) existed, and
    (c)that the defendant knew that those circumstances existed,
    the complainant is to be taken not to have consented to the relevant act unless sufficient evidence is adduced to raise an issue as to whether he consented, and the defendant is to be taken not to have reasonably believed that the complainant consented unless sufficient evidence is adduced to raise an issue as to whether he reasonably believed it.
    (2)The circumstances are that—
    (a)any person was, at the time of the relevant act or immediately before it began, using violence against the complainant or causing the complainant to fear that immediate violence would be used against him;
    (b)any person was, at the time of the relevant act or immediately before it began, causing the complainant to fear that violence was being used, or that immediate violence would be used, against another person;
    (c)the complainant was, and the defendant was not, unlawfully detained at the time of the relevant act;
    (d)the complainant was asleep or otherwise unconscious at the time of the relevant act;
    (e)because of the complainant’s physical disability, the complainant would not have been able at the time of the relevant act to communicate to the defendant whether the complainant consented;
    (f)any person had administered to or caused to be taken by the complainant, without the complainant’s consent, a substance which, having regard to when it was administered or taken, was capable of causing or enabling the complainant to be stupefied or overpowered at the time of the relevant act.
    (3)In subsection (2)(a) and (b), the reference to the time immediately before the relevant act began is, in the case of an act which is one of a continuous series of sexual activities, a reference to the time immediately before the first sexual activity began.

Now, this legislation is obviously aimed at a society not at war, but it still seems fairly clear that PDNs idea of “consent” is on fairly shaky ground. Whilst I have not looked at international law, or law relating to war, I would expect that it would be even more damning of this argument that a woman who has been captured by the enemy, after her family has been killed, consents to sex with her captor. To say that a woman in the circumstances being discussed “consents” to sex is actually quite disgusting.
    MrP

And I did. It refers to two distinct incidents in very different circumstances. If you didn't want us to talk about what happened at Shiloh then you shouldn't have quoted the whole passage.

It was a simple misunderstanding - no need to be snarky about that when there's plenty of substantive things that we disagree on.

You might want to remember that the next time you make a comment like this

You are spouting absolute drivel.

that then turns out to be based on your misunderstanding. :rolleyes:
    No, it isn't, Virgins aren't mentioned in Deuteronomy 21. And nothing about taking wives is mentioned in Numbers 21.

Both passages describe how the Israelites carried out war. They aren't exactly the same passage, otherwise I would have said look at Deuteronomy 21 and then for kicks look at Deuteronomy 21 again.
    It sounds like you're shoehorning again.

It sounds like you have run out of a coherent response and are falling back on some rather childish arguing methods.
    And you've never made a comment about Christians or 'you guys' (as you like to put it) being biased, have you? :rolleyes:

Pot. Kettle, Black

Lots of times. I still continue to actually have arguments though. I response are not just a long rant about atheist agenda with no substantial counter arguments or rebutals to the points being made.
    So, just to clarify, you're posting at 3.30am and making sarcastic comments about the sky being black? :pac:
    Case in point ...
    Stated, and failed to support it with any evidence. There is no reference to rape in Deuteronomy 21. If there were you would have pointed to it by now instead of dancing around every time we ask you to point to it.

Wow, we are really going to do this again. :rolleyes:

Deut 21 describes taking wives from prisoners of war. There is no mention either way of whether the wives had a choice in this matter. I and a lot of others concluded that they didn't since prisoners of war tend not to be given that much choice in the matter.

You said that you preferred the other interpretation, that the Israelites would have asked the women if they wished to be married out not, based on other passages not Deut 21 (which makes this annoyance that I'm referencing other passages in the Bible all the more silly and childish)

Judges 21 contradicts this interpretation. The best counter argument you seem to be able to come up with is that Judges 21 was not a commandment from God, though you seem to be struggling to explain how this is relevant to explaining actions by the Israelites.
    Can we claim that Barack Obama ordered American soldiers to shoot children in Afghanistan?

Yes if an American soldier shoots a child while working under the assumption that this is just a normal Obama ordered operation like all the others.

As I pointed out about six times now taking of wives from captive prisoners is described as being sanctioned by God. You and I both agree that.

If you have twenty missions ordered by Obama that ended up with dead children, and then on one missions that you don't know was ordered by Obama but the soldiers were doing what they had done before and killed children, it is safe to assume that in the other 20 missions the soldiers also killed the children.

You know you are never going to find a passage in the Bible that explicately says that these soldiers raped these women. This is because, as Judges 21 demonstrated, they didn't think of forced marriage as rape. They also didn't think of consent as necessary for marrying prisoners of war.
    Wow! Where did the goal posts just go? :eek:

Can you please link to where I made that argument?

You may have missed it but I already did.
    My argument all along has been that there is no record in the Bible of God commanding the Israelites to rape anyone, and that therefore your assertion is flat out wrong.

Why on earth would I argue that the Israelites (being sinful human beings) would never do anything nasty?

Slit throat seems to be the argument. Hey man, I agree with you it is a stupid argument ;)
    Yes, because how soldiers behave when they are expressly disobeying orders makes it a flimsy argument that they might have behaved differently when they were obeying orders. :rolleyes:

Point out the order that says that the Israelites should get the permission of the women slave before they marry them.

MrPudding wrote: »

Getting married for less than perfect reasons is one thing, getting married when you are effectively under duress is quite another.

But the reason the woman is in the position she find herself in, having to make this choice, is due to the actions of the man, or his people. For a modern perspective here is the current UK legislation.
    First, the legal definition of rape:
    [/COLOR]
    Here is section 75 which I think is quite relevant to this discussion and is what Marionbad is trying get at and what PDN is trying to avoid.
    [/COLOR]
    Now, this legislation is obviously aimed at a society not at war, but it still seems fairly clear that PDNs idea of “consent” is on fairly shaky ground. Whilst I have not looked at international law, or law relating to war, I would expect that it would be even more damning of this argument that a woman who has been captured by the enemy, after her family has been killed, consents to sex with her captor. To say that a woman in the circumstances being discussed “consents” to sex is actually quite disgusting.
    MrP

No, not 'consents to sex' - 'consents to marriage'.

There is a world of difference between a captive consenting to sex with her captor, and a captive consenting to marriage (after a suitable period has elapsed) to a member of the victorious army.

You're pretence that the two are the same, while not 'disgusting' is still underhanded. As is your incredible claim that I'm trying to 'avoid' applying a section of Twentieth Century UK law to a situation over 3000 years ago in the Near East.

Amazingly enough, we're not discussing whether the events of Deuteronomy comply with UK legislation from the 1990's - we're discussiong whether God commanded the Israelites to rape anyone. And the stretching to try to say that He did is getting more bizarre with each new argument.

Anyone want to offer an advance on Mr Pudding's claim? Perhaps someone wants to argue that God broke the rules of the Malahide Golf Club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I can't believe all these weeks later we're still talking about the same passage :pac:

• Advertisement

You might want to remember that the next time you make a comment like this

You are spouting absolute drivel.

that then turns out to be based on your misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

Your argument was absolute drivel whether it applied to Shiloh or Jabesh Gliead. I've already explained the misunderstanding as to why I specificallly addressed one part of the passage you quoted rather than the other. But I fully understand why you prefer to bang on about that misunderstanding in order to ddeflect attention from the weakness of your argument.
    Both passages describe how the Israelites carried out war. They aren't exactly the same passage, otherwise I would have said look at Deuteronomy 21 and then for kicks look at Deuteronomy 21 again.
    No, they don't.

Deuteronomy 21 describes how God, through Moses, ordered them to conduct themselves when waging war against a foreign city outside of the borders of Canaan. (Whether they actually obeyed these commands or not is a different issue). It describes how they are to treat the captives who are an inevitable consequence of a war prosecuted for other reasons.

Judges 21 describes how the Israelites actually behaved in a very different context, namely a civil war where they were acting under their own sinful initiative rather than God's commands, and where they were prosecuting the war for the express purpose of abducting women.

To continue to pretend that the one somehow describes the other, even after the differences have been pointed out to you, is quite laughable.
    Deut 21 describes taking wives from prisoners of war. There is no mention either way of whether the wives had a choice in this matter. I and a lot of others concluded that they didn't since prisoners of war tend not to be given that much choice in the matter.

That pretty well sums up the threadbare nature of your argument.

We've already established that the commands God gave the Israelites (give the prospective wives a month to mourn their parents, marry them, and if they are subsequently divorced then they must be given total freedom) were drastically different from how POWs were normally treated (grab who you want, and gang rape them). Yet you (and 'others', who coincidentally share your prejudices) conclude that God commanded rape, even though rape is not mentioned or hinted at, on the basis of what tends to happen with POWs.

That's a real doozey of an argument you're presenting there.
    You may have missed it but I already did.
    No you didn't.

This is exactly the kind of dishonest dodging that I referred to before.

You have made a claim about me. Now I'm asking you to provide evidence to support that claim.

My position all along on this issue has been that God did not command the Israelites to rape anyone.

You made the following claim, "Remember your argument (which you have stated you aren't prepared to defend) is that the Israelites wouldn't do this, not that God wouldn't command it. "

Please link to where I presented such an argument.

Where did I ever state that my argument was that the Israelites would never commit rape? If I said it then it shouldn't be too hard for you to provide a link.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement