Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭Quo Vadis

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Still not answering point re: free will

Did god appearing to people compromise their free will?

No, because they had already chosen to believe in God, and God then set them other tasks.
    Did you not say earlier he won't prove himself to me as it ruins my free will?

Not you personally, but all of humanity, many of whom are undecided. God could test us other ways, why he chose this way for most of us, I don't know.

I don't. I think he made his "test" easier not his life . . .

I have a much easier life.

Moses already believed in God and done his will, test passed so far if you like, he then tested Moses further. His whole life was still a test. We can't all be Moses, nor would we want to be.

Your entire life is the test, that's the point. Everyone's life is different, everyones test is different, its how you respond to that test. I don't know what is to come for you, nor do you for me, that is the point. I already believe in God, why test me further for example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Quo Vadis wrote: »
    No, because they had already chosen to believe in God, and God then set them other tasks.

Not you personally, but all of humanity, many of whom are undecided. God could test us other ways, why he chose this way, I don't know.

Ah I see. He can reveal himself to those that already believe. That I missed with your post. Finally getting somewhere :D (probably my bad)
    Moses already believed in God and done his will, test passed so far if you like, he then tested Moses further. His whole life was still a test. We can't all be Moses, nor would we want to be.

Your entire life is the test, that's the point. Everyone's life is different, everyones test is different, its how you respond to that test. I don't know what is to come for you good or bad, nor do you for me, that is the point. I already believe in God, why test me further for example ?

What about is it Abraham(the guy with the almost sacrificial son) or Job? They were tested even though they believed right?

"I don't know what is to come for you good or bad"

in terms of your religion I can already answer, I'll burn in hell. I have read much of the bible, seen almost every argument for a god and don't believe. That can't change without new evidence (and as you have suggested(reading between the lines here) god aint gonna appear to a non-believer) and I can't make myself believe, my brain took in the info processed it and decided it didn't make sense to it and therefore rejected it. I can no more chose to believe than I can chose to believe this computer is not in front of me.
    It's just how "I" work. Or perhaps how I was made which is a bit unfair!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

If there were no God, then there would be no atheists.

Onesimus wrote: »

*claps*

And if there were no people, there would be no god.

Ah I see. He can reveal himself to those that already believe. That I missed with your post. Finally getting somewhere :D (probably my bad)

What about is it Abraham(the guy with the almost sacrificial son) or Job? They were tested even though they believed right?

He can reveal himself to anyone he chooses to. Doubting Thomas and Saul being counter examples. He then went on to test them in other ways, so no they didn't have it "easier".

in terms of your religion I can already answer, I'll burn in hell. I have read much of the bible, seen almost every argument for a god and don't believe. That can't change without new evidence (and as you have suggested(reading between the lines here) god aint gonna appear to a non-believer) and I can't make myself believe, my brain took in the info processed it and decided it didn't make sense to it and therefore rejected it. I can no more chose to believe than I can chose to believe this computer is not in front of me.
    It's just how "I" work. Or perhaps how I was made which is a bit unfair!

I would not presume that at all, who can say what other experiences you have in life and how they will shape your thinking before your death. Can atheists go to heaven ? Who knows, if in all good conscience they did not believe in God but they led a very moral life, perhaps. Judgement will be very different for a person that has never heard God's message, than for one that was given every opportunity to hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

*claps*

In fairness to you. It seems to be human nature to believe in some form of metanarrative for the explanation of everything that its around it. If it wasn't in the form of traditional theism it would be in something else. It explains that as many societies have secularised that more and more people are interested in the paranormal. That seems unsurprising to me.

This however doesn't of necessity mean that Christianity is false.

*claps*

exactly but there are people, and the proof of that is evident :-)

How's that ? Infinity is big place, with infinite possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Only God (if He exists) can prove that He exists. Nobody can prove that He doesn't exist. The Christian faith proclaims that God has proven that He exists already. Jesus calimed to speak in the place of God for which he was eventually murdered. Now there are three possibilities. He was nuts, or a liar or He was telling the truth.
    • There are no good reasons to think that His words contain the kind of language that suggest that He was not functioning like a normal human being.
    • There is nothing in His words that could make anyone think that He was liar.
    • Therefore He must have being telling the truth. Therefore He was speaking in the place of God and hence God exists. Simple really.

Now if anybody wants to object to the first two premises then it is incumbant on you to show, or give us good reasons to believe that He was actually a nut or a liar. It is not incumbent on the believer to prove that He wasn't, to the believer that is obvious. The burden of proof is on the objector. When Jesus went around making the claims that He made He paid for it with His life. But His claims were vindicated when God raised Him from the dead. This is attested to by many witnesses who also gave their lives for that testimony. So unless you can show that this type of behavior is normal human behavior then we must assume that the reason they were willing to suffer death for this testimony was because they truly believed that it was true.

If you have reasons to believe that these men did not truly believe this testimony but had other motives and agendas then again it is incumbent on you to provide evidence of same. So for now at least, in the absence of any such evidence we shall proceed on the basis that they did truly believe in what they died proclaiming, that Jesus was the Son of God and that He rose from the dead.

So how do you get people to believe that after someone has died that they were raised from the dead? And not only that but that the person that was raised was actually the Son of God? How do you get people to believe this and not only that but to also die for that belief?

The explanation that Christians believe is the true explanation is the explanation that these men themselves gave as the explanation. That He actually did rise from the dead because they seen Him for many days afterwards alive and well.

What other explanations are there?
    • They were lying.
    • They were halucinating.

If they were hallucinating then bringing them to the tomb were Jesus' body lay would have convinced them that He was not raised from the dead let alone the Son of God in to the bargain.

If they were lying then they weren't true believers in what they preached because they knew it was a lie, which means that they died for a lie that they knew was a lie.

So they must have been hallucinating, again show them the body. Oh, there was no body in the tomb? Where was the body? Did someone take it? Who?

Three possibilities.
    • The Disciples. If they stole it then they were liars, dealt with above.
    • The Jewish leaders. If they took it then they would have produced it in order to shut up the disciples from preaching that a guy whom they convicted and proclaimed a blasphemer was risen from the dead, from a death that they brought about.
    • The Romans authorities. If they took it then they too would have had to produce it. If the Jewish leaders were able to prevail upon the Roman authorities to have Him crucified and His tomb sealed, then they would have been able to prevail upon them to have them produce the body, had the Romans actually taken the body.

So what best explains the empty tomb? The postmortem appearances, and the fact that the disciples came to truly believe that He was risen from the dead and to die for such a belief? The only single explanation that explains all of these facts together is that He actually did rise from the dead.

Hence He was whom He claimed to be, Hence He was God, hence God exists.

Yes I see what you are saying. Limiting God to the creation of just humans seems a bit dumb.

• Advertisement

philologos wrote: »
    In fairness to you. It seems to be human nature to believe in some form of metanarrative for the explanation of everything that its around it. If it wasn't in the form of traditional theism it would be in something else. It explains that as many societies have secularised that more and more people are interested in the paranormal. That seems unsurprising to me.

It's interesting to try to understand how and why such beliefs arise (temporarily ignoring your own beliefs while doing so), trying to factor in why we've developed a propensity to belief in the supernatural, metaphysical and paranormal from an evolutionary perspective.
    This however doesn't of necessity mean that Christianity is false.

Of course not. It's not really an argument against a particular religion. Its (an inclination towards such beliefs) natural tendency to arise in humans is a good argument as to where the idea of a god came from, though.
    exactly but there are people, and the proof of that is evident :-)
    Quo Vadis wrote:

I think you both may have missed my point. Instead of "And God made Man", my point was hinting at "And then Man made God."

I think you both may have missed my point. Instead of "And God made Man", my point was hinting at "And then Man made God."

I understood that much.

I wonder could this sense to understand everything in a framework be simply God's way of drawing us to him. A way that we often resist. There is a lot of speculation to make about this.

Ultimately, I don't think atheism provides any better a solution. Reality without an ultimate cause or purpose makes less sense to me than dabbling in the paranormal to be honest with you.

N.B - I'm not trying to be derogatory in saying that.

I knew that is what you meant, but I think you may have missed the point, trying to limit what exists to what man has created or knows about is not possible.

but such a reply/point does not disprove the existence of God. Look at it again, if there were no God there would be no atheists. Until atheists can prove that there is no creator then we will always have atheists.

and the point I'm trying to make is ''atheists made atheists''

I wonder could this sense to understand everything in a framework be simply God's way of drawing us to him. A way that we often resist. There is a lot of speculation to make about this.

That would make for an interesting argument, I guess.

It seems like circular reasoning, though, doesn't it? Using a natural disposition as a kind of evidence for God, implying that God put that natural disposition there in the first place.
    Ultimately, I don't think atheism provides any better a solution. Reality without an ultimate cause or purpose makes less sense to me than dabbling in the paranormal to be honest with you.

Unfortunately the universe and reality don't owe us an ultimate cause or a sense of purpose. Trying to read one into the world just seems very anthropocentric to me.
    I knew that is what you meant, but I think you may have missed the point, trying to limit what exists to what man has created is not possible.

I've always found that to be a silly argument; "in an infinite universe of infinite possiblity isn't it infinitely possible that a god exists", or some such nonsense.

but such a reply/point does not disprove the existence of God.

It wasn't meant to.
    Look at it again, if there were no God there would be no atheists.

Tautology.
    Until atheists can prove that there is no creator then we will always have atheists.

Yet more tautology.
    and the point I'm trying to make is ''atheists made atheists''

A point that makes no sense.

Were you trying to make a point?

It seems like circular reasoning, though, doesn't it? Using a natural disposition as a kind of evidence for God, implying that God put that natural disposition there in the first place.

You could call it taking a teleological approach. I'm asking what purpose does it serve. We have identified that this exists on an existential level so what next?

I've always found that to be a silly argument; "in an infinite universe of infinite possiblity isn't it infinitely possible that a god exists", or some such nonsense.

Only If you have the childish notion that he's a beardy man in the sky sitting on a cloud.

If you believe that God is an infinite sprit, it's perfectly possible and logical in an infinity.

Unfortunately the universe and reality don't owe us an ultimate cause or a sense of purpose. Trying to read one into the world just seems very anthropocentric to me.

And I've always found that to be a silly argument: ''In an infinite universe of infinite possibility isn't it infinitely possible that a God does NOT exist?'' or some such nonsense.

It wasn't meant to.

Tautology.

Yet more tautology.

A point that makes no sense.

Were you trying to make a point?

Please explain what tautology is?

the point according to you that makes no sense makes the point that: because atheists can not disprove the existence of God the mere belief that God does not exist is one conjured up by themselves. Thus they formed their own system of belief that God does not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Rofl these threads alway get trolled to bits.

You could call it taking a teleological approach. I'm asking what purpose does it serve. We have identified that this exists on an existential level so what next?

I'm not sure what would be next. Have you looked into the naturalistic explantions as to why the human brain has developed such a propensity?

I can't see the argument going too far: there's nothing to counter the claim that it's a way for God to draw us to Him.
    I've always found the counter argument even more illogical.
    And I've always found that to be a silly argument: ''In an infinite universe of infinite possibility isn't it infinitely possible that a God does NOT exist?'' or some such nonsense.

So, using your argument, you'll agree it's equally likely that the universe's creation was the product of the sneeze of a unicorn?

It's a silly, meaningless argument to make.

Please explain what tautology is?

Tautology is saying that without God atheists wouldn't exist; it's a statement that is necessarily true. If it wasn't true we'd have a problem.

It's like saying if the colour green didn't exist then no people would exist who did not like that colour. See how pointless that is?
    the point according to you that makes no sense makes the point that: because atheists can not disprove the existence of God the mere belief that God does not exist is one conjured up by themselves. Thus they formed their own system of belief that God does not exist.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god.

You lack belief in an infinite number of things. You don't believe that they don't exist; you lack belief that they exist. There's a huge difference between the two.

I'm not sure what would be next. Have you looked into the naturalistic explantions as to why the human brain has developed such a propensity?

I can't see the argument going too far: there's nothing to counter the claim that it's a way for God to draw us to Him.

So, using your argument, you'll agree it's equally likely that the universe's creation was the product of the sneeze of a unicorn?

It's a silly, meaningless argument to make.

as is your argument a silly argument to make. But how many people have been instantly and miracously healed in the Catholic Church - baffling science and all intellectuals in this sphere - in the name of the unicorn or in the name of ( according to atheists ) ''nobody at all''?

Strawman analogy.

An infinite creational sprit is what is being claimed by theists. Try to be a bit logical

Tautology is saying that without God atheists wouldn't exist; it's a statement that is necessarily true. If it wasn't true we'd have a problem.

It's like saying if the colour green didn't exist then no people would exist who did not like that colour. See how pointless that is?

Atheism is a lack of belief in a god.

You lack belief in an infinite number of things. You don't believe that they don't exist; you lack belief that they exist. There's a huge difference between the two.

So you admit its true then? when would like to be baptised? I can arrange something for you :P

your anology of the grass doesnt disprove my tautology, because atheists and people have vivid proof of grass.

Atheism is a belief that there is no God, what your talking about is ''agnosticism'' a borderline atheist.

as is your argument a silly argument to make.

But my argument is equally valid to the god argument using that silly "infinite universe... infinite possiblities" nonsense.
    But how many people have been instantly and miracously healed in the Catholic Church - baffling science and all intellectuals in this sphere - in the name of the unicorn or in the name of ( according to atheists ) ''nobody at all''?

I don't know how many, perhaps you should tell me? Anecdotes don't count, mind you. Also, including conditions that could have been recovered from naturally isn't a strong inclusion either.

You show me a case where God heals an amputee and I'll acknowledge the existence of miracles.

Strawman analogy.

How so?
    An infinite creational sprit is what is being claimed by theists. Try to be a bit logical

But using your argument "in an infinite universe of infinite possiblities" isn't it equally as valid that your god is the product of a unicorn's sneeze?

Point out how the two differ.
    So you admit its true then? when would like to be baptised? I can arrange something for you :P

What?
    your anology of the grass doesnt disprove my tautology, because atheists and people have vivid proof of grass.

Tautology doesn't need to be disproved!
    Atheism is a belief that there is no God, what your talking about is ''agnosticism'' a borderline atheist.

No, I'm afraid you don't understand the meaning of the terms.

Atheism/theism are statements of belief. Agnosticism/gnosticism are statements of knowledge. For example I'm an agnostic atheist. Atheism itself is correctly defined as the lack of belief in a god or gods.

You show me a case where God heals an amputee and I'll acknowledge the existence of miracles.

Why would he do that ? It's not life threatening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Then everyone would be wrong :confused: or do you mean if there was no god there would be no theists and therefore no atheists? A better short version would be if there were no theists there would be no atheists.
    He can reveal himself to anyone he chooses to. Doubting Thomas and Saul being counter examples. He then went on to test them in other ways, so no they didn't have it "easier".

Then we're back to the whole free will thing though. He has basically made them believe by proving himself to them. That makes any subsequent tests easier. Ask any atheist if god exists would they prefer not to know and be tested or know and be tested. Easy choice.
    I would not presume that at all, who can say what other experiences you have in life and how they will shape your thinking before your death.

Experiences don't shape my thinking generally. I am wary of any of the many ways the human brain can skew facts or reality (again that's how I am (made)) Reason and logic are what I look to. I will even question whether I am just rationalising my emotions rather than really thinking about something (someone recently posted a great hypothetical incest story on A&A on this subject). As you have said before if god appeared to me (unless he told me in minute detail how my next week turns out) I will look at it as a hallucination. As I am I will most likely never believe. The type of evidence my brain requires neither exists nor does your god seemingly intend to make it available. C'est la vie!
    Can atheists go to heaven ? Who knows, if in all good conscience they did not believe in God but they led a very moral life, perhaps. Judgement will be very different for a person that has never heard God's message, than for one that was given every opportunity to hear it.

Fair enough, I'm not gonna argue the tenets of Christianity on this point with you as I assume what you are saying you have researched much more than I! I will say that "very moral life" would have to be more subjective than the Christian one as I break many of it's commandments.

EDIT-

BTW "Atheism/theism are statements of belief. Agnosticism/gnosticism are statements of knowledge. For example I'm an agnostic atheist. Atheism itself is correctly defined as the lack of belief in a god or gods." Is true. While we're sharing info :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement