Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

FISMA wrote: »

Brian,
    In a few other threads you have offered up some quasi sounding scientific arguments, but points I find totally lacking itself science, and have specifically challenged. In particular, refer to post #533, here.

Now you're on to the Higg's Boson? :rolleyes:

Just one question for you. What is your scientific test to demonstrate that your memory works properly.

Concisely, science fails to offer a test by which we may prove that our memory works properly.

If science fails to offer us a test by which we may prove our memory works properly, why then do you believe it is an appropriate tool for proving or disproving the existence of God?

If you disagree and believe that science does offer us a test by which we may prove our memory works properly, please outline, and post.
    maybe I'm missing something but doctors frequently determine if patients have memory problems.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

evangelist wrote: »

Who would like for me to really convince you that God exists,
    and through believing in His Messiah-Redeemer-Savior (Jesus Christ)
    it is possible to spend eternity with God in Heaven when you die?

If there are any takers, I will post my personal spiritual testimony ... amazing!

Umm, blue text ... this probably isn't going to end well

Brian,
    In a few other threads you have offered up some quasi sounding scientific arguments, but points I find totally lacking itself science, and have specifically challenged. In particular, refer to post #533, here.

Just one question for you. What is your scientific test to demonstrate that your memory works properly.

Concisely, science fails to offer a test by which we may prove that our memory works properly.

If science fails to offer us a test by which we may prove our memory works properly, why then do you believe it is an appropriate tool for proving or disproving the existence of God?

If you disagree and believe that science does offer us a test by which we may prove our memory works properly, please outline, and post.

Where did you get the notion that our memory worked properly? Relatively speaking (compared to say a harddisk), humans have very poor memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Who would like for me to really convince you that God exists,
    and through believing in His Messiah-Redeemer-Savior (Jesus Christ)
    it is possible to spend eternity with God in Heaven when you die?

If there are any takers, I will post my personal spiritual testimony ... amazing!

For you maybe, but my creator who created my reality, may not allow your creators reality into mine,

So, I'm out.

hju6 wrote: »
    For you maybe, but my creator who created my reality, may not allow your creators reality into mine,

So, I'm out.

Oooh, god fight ... awesome.

Round one, Zeus vs Jehovah

32945.jpg?v=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 EmmettInc

What purpose does a god serve? Why does there need to be a god? What added value does the existence of god add to life or existence? Why do we assume we are important enough to deserve an all seeing all knowing all influencing god? And of course, the burden of proof lies with the individual making the assertive claim, so I don't need anyone saying - why not? or Prove god doesn't exist? That's the same as saying prove there is no flying spaghetti monster...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

If there really was a God. He's getting his ass kicked by Satan. This world is a sick, evil demonic fcked up society.

Brian,

Do you know what circular reasoning is? Or more aptly, do you know what a test is? If so, you're memory is probably working fine... If not, you're memory is probably not working fine... Did I just do a "quasi" scientific "test"? No seriously, I can't remember...

Also, you cannot prove a negative assertion, if you say something exists, then prove it, if I say something does not exist, there is no possible test known to exist that can prove that... It's just not possible, whereas if you assert something does exist, you should be able prove same...

I can't offer proof, as any proof with suggest the existence of the very thing I claim not to exist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Masteroid

Because I happen to think you are missing my intention. Rereading my original post I can see how this has arisen so let me rephrase it. My original statement went as follows -

Why would we say that there is no empirical evidence for God? For example, if one is of the opinion that the evidence for a particular miracle claim is reliable then that surely qualifies as evidence for an interventionist God.

My slightly amended statement is -

Why would we say that there is no empirical evidence for God? For example, if one is of the opinion that the evidence for a particular miracle claim is reliable - perhaps through observation - then that surely qualifies as evidence that God has intervened.

I was suggesting that there is evidence for God. And I gave the example that if one is inclined to believe that a particular miraculous account is reliable (and here is a discussion between Craig Keener and an atheist about the reliability of modern day accounts) then this would qualify as evidence for God and for a God that intervenes.

I believe that this is a valid statement. If you don't then I'm afraid you are stuck invoking Dawkin's beard.

You present a false dichotomy here - either you believe me or you are a brain-washed idiot.

We may say that an account of a miracle is evidence of something but that could mean a lot of things, couldn't it?

Have you ever asked youself, 'Does Satan perform miracles?'

Why would Satan perform miracles? I hear you ask. Why would Satan act like God's PR man?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

It was a miracle when Father Brendan Smyth avoided capture at a checkpoint between the north and south of Ireland even though the police were looking for a priest in flight. He hid his ID and the cops waved him through.

What about Hitler's 'miraculous rise to power'? He attested to being 'touched by God'. Are Hitler's accounts empirical evidence of God?

Why would God choose to make blood run out of statues rather than rescue 6,000,000 Jews?

Now that would have been a miracle.

How do you assess what is reliable and what isn't if you can't subject it to a test which yields the same results time after time?

Why would Satan perform miracles?

To breed resentment.

If God is non-interventionist, i.e., totally even handed, then miracles would necssarily be empirical evidence of something other than the existence of God, right?

But, by performing evil miracles, Satan can elicit the question of why do bad things happen if God is good and faith in God can be weakened.

By performing good miracles, Satan sets neighbour against neighbour because one woman can say, 'I devoted myself to God and my child died but the child of the Philistine lives. God has forsaken me.'

I mean, given that Satan could use the miracle thing as a tool for his own ends, why do you think he wouldn't?

And if Hebrew God of war is an interventionist God of war then what kind of miracles could we expect?

Bleeding statues.

Cheers God, they'll bring about world peace in a jiffy.

You are right in that if there is a God and He is interventionist and He performs miracles then the evidence is that the Hebrew God of war is doing even less on this planet to promote goodness than Hitler did.

Empirically.

Now, you might want to argue that whether it is God or Satan who performs miracles, one is evidence of the other but this would be a false assumption. The existence of Satan does not prove the existence of God since Satan himself may be the highest power of existence.

Think about it. Satan might even be the one who inspired the bible. Look at Revelations and tell me that Satan could not possibly want such an end to mankind.

An interventionist God would be unjust and un-merciful. To perform a miracle is to provide evidence to a few. Where does that leave free-will?

If God wants us to express free-will then when should He tinker with people through miracles?

And did anyone ever stop to think that since God is more concerned about how He is worshipped than people murdering each other, that 'bleeding statues' might be His way of objecting to the idolatry characteristic of the Catholic church.

Maybe He's trying to say, 'Carry on killing each other by all means but for the love of Me, stop praying to Mary!'

I find it quite obscene that God would turn water into wine rather than stop an earthquake, or a meteor, or a plague.

He made us to suffer these things and He can shove His bleeding statues up His divine path as far as I'm concerned.

I want to avoid the fate outlined in Revelations. I want God to be thwarted.

Now that would be the greatest miracle of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

If there really was a God. He's getting his ass kicked by Satan. This world is a sick, evil demonic fcked up society.

Ask yourself why it is a sick, evil, demonic, f-ed up society? You might find that when you know the reason why this came about, that it also explains why we need a Saviour.

If you have 30 minutes, listen to this talk as to why only Jesus makes sense of suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Brian,

FISMA, just because you, personally, hate and can't understand science doesn't mean that the whole world is in the same boat as you.

I'm going to give the rest of your post the treatment it deserves, I'm going to ignore it for the baseless hogwash it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

philologos wrote: »
    Ask yourself why it is a sick, evil, demonic, f-ed up society?

Because those in control need some way to keep the rest of us down and in fear, so they invented god and the other (in all their various forms) to keep us cowering in the corner.

This is the first age in which the lies are being systematically exposed for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evangelist

By deceiving Adam & Eve, Satan won the right to have the influence he has over their descendants.

Man is unable to choose spiritual life (salvation) on his own
    because he is …

-- born with an inherited sin nature … many verses
    -- spiritually dead in his sins … Ephesians 2:1-5, Colossians 2:13
    -- a captive to the law of sin and death … Romans 8:2
    -- a slave to sin, forced to obey evil … John 8:34, Romans 6:17-21, Titus 3:3
    -- an enemy of God, hostile to God, opposed to God … Romans 8:7

-- spiritually blind and deaf … Matthew 13:13-15, John 9:39, John 12:39-40, Ephesians 4:18
    -- unable to understand the things of God (they are foolishness) … 1 Corinthians 2:14
    -- seeing the gospel as utter foolishness … 1 Corinthians 1:18
    -- unable to believe the truth of the gospel because it is veiled … 2 Corinthians 4:3

-- blinded by Satan … Acts 26:18, 2 Corinthians 4:3-4
    -- controlled (ruled) by Satan … John 12:31, 1 John 5:19, Acts 26:18, 2 Cor 10:4-5, Ephesians 2:2
    -- deceived by Satan … Revelation 12:9, John 8:44, 2 Corinthians 11:14
    -- a captive of Satan unto death … Hebrews 2:14-15, Luke 4:18

-- unable to be righteous by doing good works … Isaiah 64:6, Galatians 2:16, Titus 3:5
    -- unable to be saved by his own desire or works … Romans 9:16, Ephesians 2:8-9
    -- able to be saved only by the grace and mercy of God … Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-7
    -- NOT allowed to choose ... God chooses only whomever He pleases … Romans 9:9-24

The Truth (as revealed in God's Scriptures) remains forever ... whether anyone believes it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

By deceiving Adam & Eve, Satan won the right to have the influence he has over their descendants.

because he is …

-- spiritually blind and deaf … Matthew 13:13-15, John 9:39, John 12:39-40, Ephesians 4:18
    -- unable to understand the things of God (they are foolishness) … 1 Corinthians 2:14
    -- unable to believe the truth of the gospel because it is veiled … 2 Corinthians 4:3

-- controlled (ruled) by Satan … John 12:31, 1 John 5:19, Acts 26:18, 2 Cor 10:4-5, Ephesians 2:2

-- unable to be righteous by doing good works … Isaiah 64:6, Galatians 2:16, Titus 3:5
    -- able to be saved only by the grace and mercy of God … Ephesians 2:8-9, Titus 3:4-7
    -- NOT allowed to choose ... God chooses only whomever He pleases … Romans 9:9-24

The Truth (as revealed in God's Scriptures) remains forever ... whether anyone believes it or not.

This is in no way convincing!

because he is …

No, you this is the thing, the truth is the truth whether people believe it or not, this hogwash is only true when people believe it, if someone chooses not to anymore then it no longer remains true...

Scriptures are also evidence after the fact, in order for them to have any bearing on the material facts of a god existing, first you must prove god exists, then you can use them to support your argument... Until then however, they really are about as much evidence of gods existence, as spider-man comics are of spider-mans existence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Masteroid

because he is …

You paint a very bleak picture with words neither of God nor Jesus.

Paul was an evil murderous drunk who became the head of an institution that refused to eject Hitler from its numbers.

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Masteroid wrote: »

Paul was an evil murderous drunk who became the head of an institution that refused to eject Hitler from its numbers.

Nice.

So what do you really think, no point sitting on the fence!:p

A bit harsh don't you think? He did give up his murderous ways before leading the institute and was hardly in a position to make any difference to Hitlers standing. They do condemn the things Adolf did, the sin not the sinner and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 evangelist

I do truly understand where you guys are coming from.
    Theories are just that ... theories.
    And ditto for opinions.
    I get it.

What turns things around drastically is revelation. In this case, spiritual revelation.

I've been very fortunate in that I'm not relying on family tradition or any type of blind faith.
    To me that is totally ludicrous.

MANY millions of Jews, Christians, Muslims, cults, sects, etc.
    have been born into their religion ... and are just satisfied to stay in it.
    Totally ludicrous ... there MUST be some sort of real PROOF.

The next level up is when a person becomes "born again",
    which is when God's Spirit actually comes inside and remains in a person.
    This can cause some quite drastic changes in the person.

And a further level up is when a person becomes baptized with the Holy Spirit.
    This definitely causes a heightened spiritual awareness, such as spiritual discernment.

So, BELIEVING is all about receiving spiritual revelation.
    Any other believing is ridiculous ... and UNBELIEF is totally understandable.

THE KEY HERE ... is to just be OPEN to receiving some spiritual Truth.
    Just be OPEN.

This is in no way convincing!

If posting quotes from the Bible doesn't convince you of the absolutely infallibility of the Bible, then nothing will ... :P

You really do think you would instantly turn 80% of theists into atheists if you just mandated a critical thinking and logic course in Primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Masteroid wrote: »

Nice.

Can you show me where you are getting the murderous and drunk bit from?

Do you understand the significance between the names Saul and Paul? Saul persecuted the early followers of Christ, Paul spent most of his time being beaten up, stoned, chased out of town and imprisoned because he was a follower of Christ.

Also, Roman Catholics don't think that Paul was the head of their Church. They believe that Peter was the first pope. You should at least do RCs the good service of representing their beliefs correctly.

Also what has Hitler got to do with it?

• Advertisement

Because those in control need some way to keep the rest of us down and in fear, so they invented god and the other (in all their various forms) to keep us cowering in the corner.

This is the first age in which the lies are being systematically exposed for what they are.

What am I afraid of? Just curious? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What am I afraid of? Just curious? :)
    At a guess, dying and there being nothing afterwards. Am I wrong?

Pushtrak wrote: »
    At a guess, dying and there being nothing afterwards. Am I wrong?

Yes, and not just because I don't subscribe to your atheistic world view.

I could think of nothing worse than being in this temporal creation and not dying.

Yes, and not just because I don't subscribe to your atheistic world view.

I could think of nothing worse than being in this temporal creation and not dying.
    What I meant more specifically is, if you knew that on death there was no afterlife, if you just found that out at a snap of the fingers, I am figuring that would be a source of fear to you.

What I meant more specifically is, if you knew that on death there was no afterlife, if you just found that out at a snap of the fingers, I am figuring that would be a source of fear to you.

This seems to be just evidence that atheists assume a heck of a lot of stuff about Christians.

Genuinely, if this was it, and if death comes, what of it? I'd hold the this life is utterly meaningless mantra that you do.

Essentially you're saying is do the logical consequences of an atheistic materialist worldview cause me to fear? Absolutely not, I just think that it is completely and utterly wrong on the basis of evaluating who Jesus Christ actually was.

Things don't magically become true because I feel some way. Feelings are irrelevant. If it was true that I am going to become wormfood when I die then that's true irrespective. If it is true that Jesus is Lord and that by His death and resurrection He brought forgiveness of sins and eternal life in His name, that's true no matter what I feel.

This seems to be just evidence that atheists assume a heck of a lot of stuff about Christians.
    That's the thing about people. They can make assumptions. These assumptions drive people to generally ask questions, to test these assumptions against reality. It's great.
    Genuinely, if this was it, and if death comes, what of it? I'd hold the this life is utterly meaningless mantra that you do.
    Seems my assumption wasn't far off the mark, so...
    Things don't magically become true because I feel some way.
    True, and I can't argue the point as evidence against your position. I would say, though, that what you have posted shows your happiness is tied into what you believe, which at the very least could make critically examining contradictory evidence undesirable.
    Feelings are irrelevant.
    Nope. That isn't true. People, generally, don't just shut off their feelings and go with evidence or entirely on reason. I would go as far as to say most, if not all people don't do so. I can't say even for myself that I'm not cognitively biased in certain ways based on feelings. I can't think of exact examples because people have blind spots on these things. It is easier to see in another than ourselves.

That's the thing about people. They can make assumptions. These assumptions drive people to generally ask questions, to test these assumptions against reality. It's great.

Seems my assumption wasn't far off the mark, so...

In what way? - If I assume atheism is correct and I die. What of it?

How does that validate your assumption that Christians are afraid of death?

Rather it shows the assumption to be wrong that many if not all Christians don't find the concept of death in and of itself all that troubling even when we assume your atheistic presuppositions.
    True, and I can't argue the point as evidence against your position. I would say, though, that what you have posted shows your happiness is tied into what you believe, which at the very least could make critically examining contradictory evidence undesirable.

Christianity isn't about happiness. Again, I don't know where you're pulling this nonsense out of that my happiness is hinged on Christianity :confused:

No, rather I'm convinced of the truth of the gospel because it holds up on examination.

If the atheistic materialist worldviews philosophy of death was true, what odds? I rot. That doesn't trouble me a jot. I'd rather rot and be dead than live and perpetually decay in this creation.
    Nope. That isn't true. People, generally, don't just shut off their feelings and go with evidence or entirely on reason. I would go as far as to say most, if not all people don't do so. I can't say even for myself that I'm not cognitively biased in certain ways based on feelings. I can't think of exact examples because people have blind spots on these things. It is easier to see in another than ourselves.

What isn't true?

What I said was that it doesn't matter a damn what I "feel". What matters a damn is what is true. Hence in the grand scheme of things feelings are irrelevant.

I think you're misinterpreting my post.

In what way? - If I assume atheism is correct and I die. What of it?

How does that validate your assumption that Christians are afraid of death?
    There certainly are at least some Christians who are scared of death, and admit as such readily. Let's go with such people. They are scared of death. What does this mean? Their happiness is contingent on their belief. What might this cause? A lesser ability to go with an unbiased look at evidence. This is all elementary stuff, really. Again, as I say, it doesn't disprove religion, but it means that a religious person like I'm describing is less likely to evaluate evidence on its merits.

An interesting thing I'd love to know the results of would be something like how religious people would react were they to find out their religion were true, except the bit about an afterlife. I wonder how their feelings towards their religion would change. Would they behave the same way? Is it a love of their deity, etc or is it a fear of death? Would be very interesting. This is the type of question that isn't likely to be critically (looked at in an unbiased way) by religionists.
    What isn't true?
    I quoted a very small bit. 3 words.
    What I said was that it doesn't matter a damn what I "feel". What matters a damn is what is true. Hence in the grand scheme of things feelings are irrelevant.
    What matters is what is true, and to get to what is true is to look and weigh up the evidence in an unbiased way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

For me, not a source of fear, it would be a source of despair. My natural inclination would tend towards nihilism of some sort or another. It's possibly why Ecclesiastics is one of my favourite books of the Bible.

However, I imagine that I would muddle through life as best I could. But that's just me. No doubt there are many contented atheists out there.

• Advertisement

There certainly are at least some Christians who are scared of death, and admit as such readily. Let's go with such people. They are scared of death. What does this mean? Their happiness is contingent on their belief. What might this cause? A lesser ability to go with an unbiased look at evidence. This is all elementary stuff, really. Again, as I say, it doesn't disprove religion, but it means that a religious person like I'm describing is less likely to evaluate evidence on its merits.

There are some I suspect, just as there are some atheists, some Buddhists, some Jews, some Muslims, some Hindus, and some Sikhs who fear death.

What I'm trying to see is what is your point.
    An interesting thing I'd love to know the results of would be something like how religious people would react were they to find out their religion were true, except the bit about an afterlife. I wonder how their feelings towards their religion would change. Would they behave the same way? Is it a love of their deity, etc or is it a fear of death? Would be very interesting. This is the type of question that isn't likely to be critically (looked at in an unbiased way) by religionists.

If that were true (and the gospel itself precludes it being true) I think it makes a lot more sense still nonetheless to believe that there is a creator God than not.

I'm not a huge fan of "religious people" and "religionists". I remember when I was asked in a survey from a sociology student who came to our Christian Union "How religious are you?". I put down something like a 2 out of 10 and proceeded to explain the Christian gospel is something quite different to how most people regard "religious" :)

Christians aren't self-righteous, they are Christ-righteous, but that's an aside and perhaps a pedantic one :)
    I quoted a very small bit. 3 words.

What matters is what is true, and to get to what is true is to look and weigh up the evidence in an unbiased way.

I agree. I would argue that that is as pertinent to you as an atheist materialist as it is to me as a Bible believing Christian :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement