Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism/Existence of God Debates (Please Read OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Zombrex wrote: »
    I did. You seem to be suggesting Paul saying to masters treat your slaves well some how means something significant to the point at hand. It doesn't, and I suspect you actually know it doesn't.

It's not just treat your slaves well, but treat your slaves as God has treated you in Christ.

It's hugely significant, and is hugely significant in the other examples of husbands and wives (5:22-33) and children and parents (6:1-4). That's the point why Paul is writing this.

In 5:21 before Paul gives 3 examples we see that he mentions that one should submit to one another out of reverence of Christ.
    The point at hand is the sanction of slavery, and the encouragement of slaves to happy submit to their own slavery by Paul. This comes from the part where Paul instructs slaves to be good little slaves and happy obey their masters because that is the order of things as God intended.

I agree. That is what he's saying. He's also saying that the order of things as God intended is for masters to use their authority over their slaves as Christ used it in respect to us.
    The bit about masters treating their slaves well is as morally irrelevant as saying when you are raping someone try and use polite words. Slavery itself is a crime, slavery itself is a form of abuse. This concept is totally alien to Paul, but it isn't alien to you. So stop pretending otherwise simply to stall the conversation.

No, there's no comparison whatsoever. If masters are to treat their slaves as Paul mentioned, mistreatment and abuse has no place in it. In the same way in what Paul has said in the previous section about wives and husbands when He says that husbands should love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her (5:25), Paul in this case is saying that masters should do the same, essentially glorify Jesus Christ as master over these people.

You are the one who is refusing to read the passage. I'm looking to the details. You're stalling the conversation by refusing to actually acknowledge what the text is saying.
    I "intentionally ignored" verse 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and 24 as well. I also didn't quote 1 to 4 either. Because they aren't about sanctioning slavery.

6:9 is hugely relevant to 6:5-8. Refusing to quote the whole section of Scripture is dishonest because it is intentionally meant to skew the reader to one conclusion rather than looking to the fullness of what Paul is saying in Ephesians.
    Stop stalling.

You're the one who has quoted a passage and on proper analysis of the ins and outs of what it is saying you're getting upset and are throwing the toys out of the pram.
    You think they deserve to be slaves? Why exactly?

I think they deserve to be treated well by their masters. Moreover, Scripture does say that Christians are to submit to the unkind as well as the kind (1 Peter 2:18). Titus also says the same in chapter 2:9-10, the motivation is slightly different:
    Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour.

In this case, Paul is saying that by submission to ones master one is glorifying Jesus, and making the doctrine of Christianity attractive so that people might ask, what is different in that guys life that has made him do this so well?

Paul doesn't say why people do or don't deserve to be slaves. However, even if they don't, it's a reality to be engaged with as a Christian. Paul doesn't glorify slavery in this section, what he does say is that this is how this present reality should be dealt with as a Christian.

Slaves are to submit, masters are to be kind as Jesus was immeasurably kind to them.
    Yes it is fascinating. It shows how totally ordinary slavery was to Paul, how the idea that slavery itself is immoral was unknown to him. He is not in anyway distressed or outraged by it. It is just the way things are. Which is odd if he is imparting the morality of God, who apparently is anti-slavery. :rolleyes:

Paul is engaging with a reality in the Roman Empire much as Peter is. Both are saying that to engage with slavery as a Christian means to glorify Jesus in it, both as masters and as slaves.
    The piece is saying both be a good slave and a good slave master, without any recognition of the contradiction inherent in such a statement., that it is impossible to be both "good" while practising slavery. It is a complete explicate and implicate (as Jimi would say) acceptance of slavery.

There isn't a contradiction involved. I think Paul realises in full what he's doing. He's transforming how Christians understand the subject, and he's saying that our trust in Jesus should transform it for the better.
    So again, do you believe, as Paul clearly does, that slavery is normal, acceptable, moral and sanctioned by God?

I believe that slavery if it was practiced as Paul describes in verses 5-9 isn't problematic. Where it becomes problematic is where there is inherent abuse involved.
    I'm sorry, are you a slave? Otherwise how you "serve" your "boss" is utterly irrelevant.

My boss is in charge of our work, I work to serve my boss. The relationship described in verse 8 in particular has implications for how I should work. If I ever got promoted and had responsibility over others verse 9 would also be applicable to how I treated them. Namely, as Christ would.

It's not hugely irrelevant. The only major difference is that I use boss instead of master.
    And I've told you, it is normalising slavery. You seem to be persistently ignoring that point, instead talking about how good it is that the masters are told to threat their slaves well while ignoring that they shouldn't have slaves in the first place. And then you talk about your boss at work. Stop stalling, you know what the issue here is you just don't want to face it.

I'm not stalling, you're just throwing the toys out of the pram because I'm actually reading the text.

I think the role of both in this situation is inherently good.
    Yes because Paul does not consider slavery itself an abuse.

That is the whole point, slavery is normal and right to Paul. He is saying in the context of normal slavery don't abuse your slaves. The idea that slavery itself is a form of abuse hasn't even occurred to him.

You know this, stop stalling.

As Paul describes it I don't consider it an abuse either for the record.

Paul is describing how slavery should look as a Christian in verses 8 and 9. He's describing how marriage should look as a Christian in 5:22 - 33, and how the relationship between children and their parents should look as a Christian in 6:1-4.

I believe what Paul is describing in 6:5-9 is inherently good because it radically challenges the notion of slavery, particularly the abuse and dehumanisation that is commonly associated with it. You're the one who is ignoring this. I'm engaging with the passage.
    By owning slaves! By partaking in the act of slavery!

Do you agree with that? Do you believe slaves should happy submit to their masters? Do you agree with the concept of slavery itself?

You still refuse to listen to what the passage actually says in order to apply misplaced extra-Biblical assumption to it.

Paul is saying that masters should serve their slaves as Jesus Christ served us.
    I didn't ask you that. Stop stalling. Do you believe slavery is acceptable and moral?

As Paul describes it yes. As colonial powers described it no.

You're using the latter to inform the former which is an anachronism as I've been telling you.
    Yes I know, because according to Paul Christianity has no problem with slavery, slavery is normal and moral according to Paul and in fact slaves should wilfully submit and partake in their own bondage.

According to Paul, Christianity has a different perspective on slavery to the Roman world. That's what you're missing willfully.
    You are also the one trying really really really hard to avoid answer the question put to you.

I've answered it already. You've thrown the toys out of the pram because I've given you an answer that actually considers what Paul actually says in verses 6:5-9. The only objection you have is because of an anachronism you've applied to it.

If you refuse to listen, what more can I do.
    Again this is why I knew such a discussion would be rather pointless. You are just stalling, you are refusing to comment on the actual morality of slavery itself. Because we know you don't think slavery is moral. But you have to marry that with what you believe is the gospel of God.

I think as Paul describes it, it is entirely moral. In fact if most employers followed verse 9 the workplace would be a better place, never mind slavery.
    This is no different to Christians who know loving homosexual unions are not immoral, and try to marry that with the gospel of God.

You're not listening to what I've said. There's nothing immoral about Ephesians 6:5-9.
    You are all doing the same thing because none of you can actually follow the Bible as it is written. This rather pointless exercise has simply highlighted what I already said on the other thread.

You've ignored what I've said. I believe there's nothing wrong with Ephesians 6:1-9, and indeed I submit to it at work. I try serve Jesus in my work, so that He might be glorified. Indeed, this is one of the passages along with Colossians 3:23-24 that we aim to follow. I've read this passage at our workplace Christian Fellowship also in respect to working as to the Lord and not to men.

Why do you insist on lying about me? Why do you insist on dishonesty in reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

:eek:

Did I just read that? A comparison between a contemporary workplace and 1st Century slavery in the Roman Empire?

You must have an awful job, philo.

To be a slave is to be abused and dehumanised; a gilded cage is still a cage.

Sorry for interrupting: I'll try to keep out of this, as it's a fascinating exchange of views.

pauldla wrote: »
    :eek:

Did I just read that? A comparison between a contemporary workplace and 1st Century slavery in the Roman Empire?

There is a difference for sure. Slavery as it was commonly practiced in the Roman Empire (as opposed to the Christian model that Paul presents for it in 6:5-9) is certainly much worse than the situation I'm in at present.

However, if the situation is better, how much more am I meant to work as I'm working for Christ?
    You must have an awful job, philo.

Thankfully I don't, but I am aware of what responsibilities I have as a Christian in the workplace.
    To be a slave is to be abused and dehumanised; a gilded cage is still a cage.

Like Zombrex you're applying assumptions to the passage that just aren't there. Paul is saying that masters shouldn't mistreat their slaves and should treat them as Jesus would.

philologos wrote: »
    There is a difference for sure. Slavery as it was commonly practiced in the Roman Empire (as opposed to the Christian model that Paul presents for it in 6:5-9) is certainly much worse than the situation I'm in at present.

However, if the situation is better, how much more am I meant to work as I'm working for Christ?

A Christian model for slavery (!) is still slavery. Does any more need to be said on that point?
    Thankfully I don't, but I am aware of what responsibilities I have as a Christian in the workplace.

You have responsibilities as a contracted employee.
    Like Zombrex you're applying assumptions to the passage that just aren't there. Paul is saying that masters shouldn't mistreat their slaves and should treat them as Jesus would.

Yes Phil, I get that. Paul is telling slaveowners to be nice to their slaves, and is telling slaves to work well for their masters. This is hardly radical stuff, is it? Wasn't Seneca writing similiar earlier in the century? And didn't Cato eat with his slaves? Indeed, a good slave was considered valuable property, and hard to replace. The only new element that Paul is adding to this is the concept of Christ (not, tellingly, Jesus, but Christ).

BTW, would Jesus have kept slaves?

A Christian model for slavery (!) is still slavery. Does any more need to be said on that point?

Nothing more needs to be said, you just need to actually read what's being said :)
    You have responsibilities as a contracted employee.

I know, and I also have responsibilities as a Christian in respect to my work. It's not entirely secular is what I'm saying :)
    Yes Phil, I get that. Paul is telling slaveowners to be nice to their slaves, and is telling slaves to work well for their masters. This is hardly radical stuff, is it? Wasn't Seneca writing similiar earlier in the century? And didn't Cato eat with his slaves? Indeed, a good slave was considered valuable property, and hard to replace. The only new element that Paul is adding to this is the concept of Christ (not, tellingly, Jesus, but Christ).

BTW, would Jesus have kept slaves?

Paul or Peter aren't adding anything to Christ. What they are saying is we are Christians, this is what Jesus has done for us, how does this apply to the world around us.

They aren't instituting slavery, rather all they are saying is that it is a reality in the world around them that needs to be engaged with as a Christian.

Paul's statement precludes an abusive relationship between masters and slaves in verse 9.

• Advertisement

Nothing more needs to be said, you just need to actually read what's being said :)

This is what I read.
    I believe that slavery if it was practiced as Paul describes in verses 5-9 isn't problematic. Where it becomes problematic is where there is inherent abuse involved.

I read this as meaning that you, an educated citizen of the 21st Century, have no problem with slavery if master and slave both follow Ephesians 6:5-9.

Have I got it right?
    Paul or Peter aren't adding anything to Christ. What they are saying is we are Christians, this is what Jesus has done for us, how does this apply to the world around us.

They aren't instituting slavery, rather all they are saying is that it is a reality in the world around them that needs to be engaged with as a Christian.

Paul's statement precludes an abusive relationship between masters and slaves in verse 9.

'Be nice to your slaves' was not exactly a radical idea for the 1st Century. A Roman slaveowner regarded a slave as valuable property, and capable of great mischief if abused, especially for domestic or household slaves (not so for the poor creatures down the mines, however). All Paul is doing is adding 'because, Christ' (if you'll pardon the brevity). Now, I notice you didn't answer my hypothetical question about Jesus keeping slaves; and, as I noted, Paul is talking about Christ, not Jesus. But that's a conversation for another time, perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

You are continuing to ignore / miss the main point here. What Zombrex is saying, and what most people would agree with, is that slavery, in and of itself, however "well" the slaves are treated, is wrong.

Slavery restricts several rights that we consider to be very important, freedom of movement, freedom of association freedom to choose work, etc. So, even if we ignore abuse, and assume that the slaves were treated well, if they still had restrictions imposed on them, as I mention above, then it was still wrong.

Now, unless you are suggesting that the slaves did not have any of these restrictions imposed on them, in which case they were not slaves, then, irrespective of any other physical abuse they, they were mistreated.

So, please answer this question, which is the same as Zombrex's, though a little more detailed...

Do you agree that it is acceptable, both morally and socially, to "own" another human being and, irrespective of how you physically treat them, have total control over what they can do with respect to their freedom of movement, freedom of association and freedom to work as they choose.

MrP

This is what I read.

I read this as meaning that you, an educated citizen of the 21st Century, have no problem with slavery if master and slave both follow Ephesians 6:5-9.

Have I got it right?

As an educated citizen in the 21st century, I use my reading comprehension skills to understand what Paul said. On understanding what Paul has actually said in Ephesians 6:5-9 then I draw my conclusion concerning it.

Correct, if Ephesians 6:5-9 was the model, I have no problem whatsoever with it.

Ephesians 6:9 should be considered by more employers because a heck of a lot of businesses don't follow it.

Realistically there isn't a good reason why what Ephesians 6:5-9 can't be applicable to modern employment.
    'Be nice to your slaves' was not exactly a radical idea for the 1st Century. A Roman slaveowner regarded a slave as valuable property, and capable of great mischief if abused, especially for domestic or household slaves (not so for the poor creatures down the mines, however). All Paul is doing is adding 'because, Christ' (if you'll pardon the brevity). Now, I notice you didn't answer my hypothetical question about Jesus keeping slaves; and, as I noted, Paul is talking about Christ, not Jesus. But that's a conversation for another time, perhaps.

Except Paul isn't saying "be nice to your slaves", he's saying treat them as Christ has treated you. That's what's the radical part.

Of course as an atheist, it's understandable how you think that treating them as Christ has isn't radical. It's probably because you don't understand what that actually means.

MrPudding wrote: »
    You are continuing to ignore / miss the main point here. What Zombrex is saying, and what most people would agree with, is that slavery, in and of itself, however "well" the slaves are treated, is wrong.

Slavery restricts several rights that we consider to be very important, freedom of movement, freedom of association freedom to choose work, etc. So, even if we ignore abuse, and assume that the slaves were treated well, if they still had restrictions imposed on them, as I mention above, then it was still wrong.

It depends what influences your understanding of the word. Paul's definition seems to be radically different from the assumptions that you are applying to it.

It's an anachronism to apply a colonial slavery based view to what Paul said long before. What we need to do is listen to what Paul says about it, and what logical implications that has.

The reality is that if Paul is saying that masters should treat their slaves as Jesus did that mistreatment of the kind you are thinking of is precluded.
    Now, unless you are suggesting that the slaves did not have any of these restrictions imposed on them, in which case they were not slaves, then, irrespective of any other physical abuse they, they were mistreated.

So, please answer this question, which is the same as Zombrex's, though a little more detailed...

I've answered the question in that I believe that you're applying an anachronism to Scripture.
    Do you agree that it is acceptable, both morally and socially, to "own" another human being and, irrespective of how you physically treat them, have total control over what they can do with respect to their freedom of movement, freedom of association and freedom to work as they choose.

MrP

For the umpteenth time, I have no issue whatsoever with Ephesians 6:5-9 and I think it could teach us much today in respect to employment.

Yet bizarrely Zombrex wants to show that I don't believe what is said there, and that I don't follow this in my daily life. Indeed I do on a daily basis, Ephesians 6 is one of the passages I look to to inspire my work on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It depends what influences your understanding of the word. Paul's definition seems to be radically different from the assumptions that you are applying to it.
    Perhaps you could define what, exactly, a slave was in this time, in contrast to a free person. This does not require a scriptural interpretation, I simply want to know what a “slave” was in those days.
    It's an anachronism to apply a colonial slavery based view to what Paul said long before. What we need to do is listen to what Paul says about it, and what logical implications that has.
    No. Were they slaves not? In simple terms, irrespective of how Paul told them to behave or how Paul told the master to treat them, were they owned by another person and did they have basic human rights restricted or removed.
    The reality is that if Paul is saying that masters should treat their slaves as Jesus did that mistreatment of the kind you are thinking of is precluded.
    What mistreatment am I talking about? A slave treated with respect is still a slave.
    I've answered the question in that I believe that you're applying an anachronism to Scripture.
    I don’t think so, unless we are talking about some kind of slave that is not actually a slave.
    For the umpteenth time, I have no issue whatsoever with Ephesians 6:5-9 and I think it could teach us much today in respect to employment.

So, just to confirm, you have no issue with one human being owning another human being, controlling what they do for a living, controlling who they associate with and not allowing them to go wherever they please?

Additionally, no comparison can be drawn between a person in the 21st century with a contract of service, protection of the law and the right to leave a job, move and associate with whomsoever one pleases and a slave in Roman times.

Of course, one should work hard and loyally for one’s boss, and a boss should be respectful to his or her employees, but really, do we need a biblical passage about the proper treatment of slaves to tell us how we should behave in a modern workplace?

MrP

• Advertisement

Perhaps you could define what, exactly, a slave was in this time, in contrast to a free person. This does not require a scriptural interpretation, I simply want to know what a “slave” was in those days.

What Paul is saying is what matters. We don't need anything more than this.

Paul is saying that a slave should submit to his master as one submits to Christ.

Paul is also saying that a master should honour his slaves as Jesus honours us.

The last bit is what you, Zombrex and pauldla are ignoring.
    No. Were they slaves not? In simple terms, irrespective of how Paul told them to behave or how Paul told the master to treat them, were they owned by another person and did they have basic human rights restricted or removed.

Yes, they were, but Paul is offering us a definition of what slavery should look like from a Christian point of view in 6:5-9.
    What mistreatment am I talking about? A slave treated with respect is still a slave.

You seem to be applying assumptions from what you know about colonial slavery to what Paul has written which is radically different.
    I don’t think so, unless we are talking about some kind of slave that is not actually a slave.

Perhaps if you actually listen to what Paul is saying you'll understand what Paul is saying about what slavery should be like. What's astounding is your unwillingness to actually read what Paul is writing.
    So, just to confirm, you have no issue with one human being owning another human being, controlling what they do for a living, controlling who they associate with and not allowing them to go wherever they please?

I have no issue with what Paul is saying in Ephesians 6:5-9. It'd be great if we could actually discuss what Paul says rather than your assumptions :)

That's all I need to say. I also have no issue with Colossians 3:23-4:1 or 1 Peter 2:18-19, or indeed 1 Corinthians 7:21-23.
    Additionally, no comparison can be drawn between a person in the 21st century with a contract of service, protection of the law and the right to leave a job, move and associate with whomsoever one pleases and a slave in Roman times.

In the context of what Paul has already said, I couldn't agree. The early Christian perspective is summed up rather nicely on the Wikipedia article about Slavery in the Roman Empire:
    Both the Stoics and some early Christians opposed the ill-treatment of slaves, rather than slavery itself. Advocates of these philosophies saw them as ways to live within human societies as they were, rather than to overthrow entrenched institutions. In the Christian scriptures equal pay and fair treatment of slaves was enjoined upon slave masters, and slaves were advised to obey their earthly masters and lawfully obtain freedom if possible

I agree with that perspective, Christians didn't want to overthrow Roman government even when they were viciously persecuted by it. Rather Christians wanted to change peoples beliefs to see that if they are following Christ it should have implications for how they live in a godless world.
    Of course, one should work hard and loyally for one’s boss, and a boss should be respectful to his or her employees, but really, do we need a biblical passage about the proper treatment of slaves to tell us how we should behave in a modern workplace?

MrP

The point towards the end of Ephesians is to look at what impact following Jesus should have on their daily lives in three areas. This is one of them.

I think we do need Ephesians. I think that even today people aren't following these, and I think that if people did, the workplace would be a much better place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wow, this thread took a some what unexpected turn. I expected to post the slavery issue and for Phil to come up with some rather convoluted explanation as to why Paul is not actually supporting slavery, and then I would compare this to the convoluted explanations for why Paul is not actually condemning loving homosexual unions.

I genuinely never expected for a second that Phil would actually start arguing that slavery is fine and good if done properly, if slave masters don't "abuse" their slaves.

Their slaves!. Even a description of slavery demonstrates the inherent immorality of slavery. In 2013 I'm having a discussion with someone about the right way to operate slavery. Let me just say that again, the right way to operate slavery. The "not problematic" way to own people.

It has been a while since I've genuinely be flabbergasted by this forum. Religion posions everything, and Phil you are a walking example of that. What the hell happened to you? :mad:

Welcome to my ignore list.

Wow, this thread took a some what unexpected turn. I expected to post the slavery issue and for Phil to come up with some rather convoluted explanation as to why Paul is not actually supporting slavery, and then I would compare this to the convoluted explanations for why Paul is not actually condemning loving homosexual unions.

I genuinely never expected for a second that Phil would actually start arguing that slavery is fine and good if done properly, if slave masters don't "abuse" their slaves.

Their slaves!. Even a description of slavery demonstrates the inherent immorality of slavery. In 2013 I'm having a discussion with someone about the right way to operate slavery. Let me just say that again, the right way to operate slavery. The "not problematic" way to own people.

It has been a while since I've genuinely be flabbergasted by this forum. Religion posions everything, and Phil you are a walking example of that. What the hell happened to you? :mad:

I have to second most of this. I am completely stunned. It matters not if the slave is being honoured to the point of a daily shiatzu from the master: a slave is a slave, and is the possession of another.

It is true: you must choose your beliefs carefully, because belief can take you to very strange places.

I think Paul means exactly what he says in the passage. There is nothing convoluted about that.

You and anyone else are more than free to put me on your ignore list but I'm paying attention to what Paul is saying and you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

No phil he is seeing exactly what Paul is saying, so are you as it happens so I don't get the disagreement.
    Paul says that slavery is fine if we do it in a way that reflects Christ. Zombrex is making the point that for Paul the concept of slavery was so ingrained that he couldn't see slavery as a wrong in and of itself, only in how it was operated.
    If Paul was writing now do you think he would say the same thing? or would he just say slavery is wrong because it cannot be done in a way that reflects Christ.
    Once you go down the road of apologetics for the evil that slavery is, you're screwed with any argument you present. Doesn't matter if you revise slavery into indentured servitude or long term contract i.e. till death or fire sale do them part, it is wrong by nature.
    The fact that Paul couldn't see this show that while his instinct was correct his historical context prevented him from going as far as he should.If he was inspired by God then the prevailing mind set shouldn't be such an overriding factor in getting how wrong slavery is.
    Not that I'm saying that Gods view wasn't what Paul was writing but that Paul saw that view through a glass darkly.

tommy2bad wrote: »
    No phil he is seeing exactly what Paul is saying, so are you as it happens so I don't get the disagreement.
    Paul says that slavery is fine if we do it in a way that reflects Christ. Zombrex is making the point that for Paul the concept of slavery was so ingrained that he couldn't see slavery as a wrong in and of itself, only in how it was operated.
    If Paul was writing now do you think he would say the same thing? or would he just say slavery is wrong because it cannot be done in a way that reflects Christ.
    Once you go down the road of apologetics for the evil that slavery is, you're screwed with any argument you present. Doesn't matter if you revise slavery into indentured servitude or long term contract i.e. till death or fire sale do them part, it is wrong by nature.
    The fact that Paul couldn't see this show that while his instinct was correct his historical context prevented him from going as far as he should.If he was inspired by God then the prevailing mind set shouldn't be such an overriding factor in getting how wrong slavery is.
    Not that I'm saying that Gods view wasn't what Paul was writing but that Paul saw that view through a glass darkly.

Explain to me how you've come to that conclusion from Ephesians 6:5-9?

My only position on this issue is that I think Paul's conclusion in Ephesians 6:5-9 is clearly good. Without undermining Roman civil jurisdiction Paul is pointing towards a philosophical change in how people understood slavery. Masters treat your slaves as Jesus Christ has treated you. How could that be a bad thing?

Explain how that could be abusive?

None of the objections so far are actually rooted in the passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I didn't say it wasn't good, I said it didn't go far enough. You are raising another possibility, that Paul was aware of how repugnant slavery is and chose to let deference to civil authority supersede Gods ideal. Fair enough, it's a possibility but in fairness a weak one, it's much more likely that it was Pauls ingrained acceptance of slavery as an institution that stayed his hand rather than any notion of separation of church and state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

tommy2bad wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if you revise slavery into indentured servitude or long term contract i.e. till death or fire sale do them part, it is wrong by nature.
    Wrong according to what nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

The outrage doesn't suit you. I know you have more to you than the post above, and that a thoughtful poster like yourself would recognise that a poster like Phil deserves the opposite of being ignored. I also think of all those people who get outraged about this stuff, I hope you are not wearing Nike, Levis, GAP etc. In many respects, a lot of people pontificate about these things while reaping the rewards of global slavery, child labour and all sorts of morally questionable regimes etc. So before casting stones from high horses, I think you need to check for greenhouses (Wow, that was cliché-tastic :) ) Anyway...

Below is from the book of 1 Samuel. It details how the circumstance with which God allowed Israel have a King. Notice that it is not what God actually wants, but rather he allows it, and in turn legislates for it.
    1 Samuel 8 wrote:
    When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as Israel’s leaders.[a] 2 The name of his firstborn was Joel and the name of his second was Abijah, and they served at Beersheba. 3 But his sons did not follow his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice.

4 So all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah. 5 They said to him, “You are old, and your sons do not follow your ways; now appoint a king to lead us, such as all the other nations have.”

6 But when they said, “Give us a king to lead us,” this displeased Samuel; so he prayed to the Lord. 7 And the Lord told him: “Listen to all that the people are saying to you; it is not you they have rejected, but they have rejected me as their king. 8 As they have done from the day I brought them up out of Egypt until this day, forsaking me and serving other gods, so they are doing to you. 9 Now listen to them; but warn them solemnly and let them know what the king who will reign over them will claim as his rights.”

10 Samuel told all the words of the Lord to the people who were asking him for a king. 11 He said, “This is what the king who will reign over you will claim as his rights: He will take your sons and make them serve with his chariots and horses, and they will run in front of his chariots. 12 Some he will assign to be commanders of thousands and commanders of fifties, and others to plow his ground and reap his harvest, and still others to make weapons of war and equipment for his chariots. 13 He will take your daughters to be perfumers and cooks and bakers. 14 He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and olive groves and give them to his attendants. 15 He will take a tenth of your grain and of your vintage and give it to his officials and attendants. 16 Your male and female servants and the best of your cattle[c] and donkeys he will take for his own use. 17 He will take a tenth of your flocks, and you yourselves will become his slaves. 18 When that day comes, you will cry out for relief from the king you have chosen, but the Lord will not answer you in that day.”

19 But the people refused to listen to Samuel. “No!” they said. “We want a king over us. 20 Then we will be like all the other nations, with a king to lead us and to go out before us and fight our battles.”

21 When Samuel heard all that the people said, he repeated it before the Lord. 22 The Lord answered, “Listen to them and give them a king.”

Then Samuel said to the Israelites, “Everyone go back to your own town.”

Below is From Matthew 19, where Jesus tells us what marriage truly is in terms of God, and that divorce etc, are allowances that Moses gave because of their hard hearts.
    Matthew 19 wrote:
    Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. 2 And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” 4 He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, 5 and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.” 7 They said to him, “Why then did Moses command one to give a certificate of divorce and to send her away?” 8 He said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.”[a]

10 The disciples said to him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.” 11 But he said to them, “Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. 12 For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.”

So there are things that God has allowed to happen, that are not things that he actually wants for us. In terms of slavery and God, well we are all slaves anyway. Slaves of Christ, or slaves of sin. In terms of slavery as defined as being the possession of a master, well I can't disagree that there is no explicit 'Though shall not keep a person as a servant', but just because there are guidelines for something, does not mean that something is actually something that is desired, as exemplified by the above scriptures. Paul, when talking about the qualification criteria for being a leader in a congregation, he says, 'They should be the husband of one wife'. That doesn't condemn people with more than one wife, and implies that polygamy was present and not condemned in the law. As we seen from Jesus however, he told us what Gods will was on the matter, and that was for one man and one woman in lifelong union. 'One flesh' as he called it. When we then consider Christs words about 'Do unto others...' etc, I do think it becomes clear that something like slavery is not compatible with Christianity, and its something Christians sought to outlaw based on Christian teaching. Paul never said, 'You should keep slaves', but rather Paul told slaves and masters of the time, their responsibilities as followers of Christ. No such thing could be said of the both implicit, AND explicit condemnation of sexual sin.

Also, while we live in a world so fixed on the self, and what your rights are; God, IMO, is much more fixed on us being humble and loving in light of Christ, and Gods ways, and in light of The Kingdom to come:
    17 Only let each person lead the life[c] that the Lord has assigned to him, and to which God has called him. This is my rule in all the churches. 18 Was anyone at the time of his call already circumcised? Let him not seek to remove the marks of circumcision. Was anyone at the time of his call uncircumcised? Let him not seek circumcision. 19 For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God. 20 Each one should remain in the condition in which he was called. 21 Were you a bondservant[d] when called? Do not be concerned about it. (But if you can gain your freedom, avail yourself of the opportunity.) 22 For he who was called in the Lord as a bondservant is a freedman of the Lord. Likewise he who was free when called is a bondservant of Christ. 23 You were bought with a price; do not become bondservants[e] of men. 24 So, brothers,[f] in whatever condition each was called, there let him remain with God.
    22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

25 Husbands, love I]To get an idea of the concept of Love Paul refers to, please see the Corinthians verses below this Ephesians quote[/I your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
    Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JimiTime wrote: »
    The outrage doesn't suit you.

I take it by that you mean I don't often get outraged. True, I tend to save it up for when I'm truly angered by something.
    I know you have more to you than the post above, and that a thoughtful poster like yourself would recognise that a poster like Phil deserves the opposite of being ignored.

Phil is arguing that there is a good form of slavery, a God approved form of slavery.

What do you want my response to be? Limiting it down to comments that wouldn't break the charter, my responses are shortened to basically Don't be so stupid no there isn't a good form of slavery.

I don't see any evidence from Phil that he is prepared to accept that. Once someone is prepared to arguing such an immoral position as the gospel truth I'm not really sure what point there is continuing to discuss anything with them.

They have drunk the Kool Aid so to speak.

BTW do you think there is a good, Christian, form of slavery?
    I also think of all those people who get outraged about this stuff, I hope you are not wearing Nike, Levis, GAP etc.

Well no actually I'm not, I try and be quite careful about the ethical sourcing of my products.

But that is some what irrelevant, isn't it? Do you actually want everyone to stop caring about slavery because they buy cloths from sweat shops? Would that improve things? "Slavery has made a startling come back, but at least we got rid of all the hypocrites"

If the best defence you can come up with for someone supporting slavery is well sure don't you all buy cloths from unethical factories, I think you need to have a think about your moral priorities and what you are attempting to achieve by that.
    Below is from the book of 1 Samuel. It details how the circumstance with which God allowed Israel have a King. Notice that it is not what God actually wants, but rather he allows it, and in turn legislates for it.

Ok, but then irrelevant because Paul is not stating that God reluctantly wishes slaves to submit to their masters, but that God in fact wants them to, and will reward them for doing so.

5 Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. 6 Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart.

Does God regularly instruct his people to do what is immoral whole heartily and from the heart? God instructing you to do something whole heartily because it is the will of God would imply that it is desired, would it not?

In 1 Samuel 8 God is saying give them what they want, tell them how bad it will be and watch them ignore me and you and face the consequences of their hubris.

Is that what Paul is doing here? Is he teaching these Christians a lesson by letting telling them to submit to their masters knowing the outcome will be dire?
    As we seen from Jesus however, he told us what Gods will was on the matter, and that was for one man and one woman in lifelong union. 'One flesh' as he called it. When we then consider Christs words about 'Do unto others...' etc, I do think it becomes clear that something like slavery is not compatible with Christianity, and its something Christians sought to outlaw based on Christian teaching. Paul never said, 'You should keep slaves', but rather Paul told slaves and masters of the time, their responsibilities as followers of Christ. No such thing could be said of the both implicit, AND explicit condemnation of sexual sin.

There is actually nothing in the Bible that says God only wanted one man and one women to marry. What you, and all Christians who think marriage is one man and one woman, is inferring that from the fact that the only examples Jesus ever uses are ones where there is one man and one woman, and that these reference back to Genesis where the example is one man and one woman.

Which is fair enough (I agree with you as I said in the other thread). But then saying Paul never said you should keep slaves is rather disingenuous. Jesus never said "Only one woman and one man" either.

The arguments using to explain this away are pretty much whole sale the arguments used by other Christians for homosexual unions.

Paul is regulating something for the time (slavery), doesn't mean God approves of it in the grand scheme of things.
    Paul is regulating something for the time (homosexuality), doesn't mean God doesn't approve of it in the grand scheme of things.

When Paul says "slavery" he is not talking about slavery as we would understand it (it is little more than professional service)
    When Paul says "homosexual" he is not talking about homosexuals as we would understand it (ie men visiting male prostitutes)

Just because the only descriptions of slavery in the Bible regulate slavery doesn't mean it is what God the be all and end all of God's view on slavery.
    Just because the only descriptions of marriage in the Bible have one man and one woman doesn't mean that is the be all and end all of God's view for human marriage.

There is no explicate approval from Jesus for slavery, and when we apply his other teaches to the issue it becomes clear that we should not put other people in bondage, even if they did so in the time of Israel.
    There is no explicate denouncing from Jesus of same sex marriage, and when we apply his other teachings to the issue it becomes clear that we should allow loving homosexual couples to marry each other even if they didn't in the time of Israel.

etc etc.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying anything remarkable other than if masters treated their slaves like Jesus treated us there would be no problem worth discussing. I thought it would be very simple to grasp and relatively uncontroversial but boy was I wrong :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'm not saying anything remarkable other than if masters treated their slaves like Jesus treated us there would be no problem worth discussing. I thought it would be very simple to grasp and relatively uncontroversial but boy was I wrong :pac:

condoning slavery in 2013 would be considered controversial by most people.

If you can read this, you're too close!

koth wrote: »
    condoning slavery in 2013 would be considered controversial by most people.
    It's greatly frustrating that people in 2013 choose to ignore what is actually written there.

The unanswered question has been what do you think having a master who treated his slaves like Jesus did would produce? The reality is that if Jesus came not to be served but to serve and to give his life as a ransom for many (Mark 10:45) and if Christ like leadership means not being domineering but shepherding (1 Peter 5:1-5) its clear that Paul isn't encouraging the same type of slavery as in the colonial era (which Christians abolished in the Houses of Parliament) but masters engaging in loving leadership.

What's farcical about this is that the model of Paul's leadership isn't even in practice in today's workplaces. Bosses still threaten their employees and on occasion mistreat them. Employees often are lazy and flout the authority of their boss or murmur and complain against them.

Paul's words are as relevant today as when they were first written in all actuality.

Also its humorous that Zombrex posted here thinking that I wouldn't believe what is written in Ephesians, so he could go hah you're not a real Christian.

Yet when I say I believe every word in Ephesians 6:5-9 is exemplary, good and extremely relevant to todays age, he gets pissy and blocks me.

But from my reading of the last few pages you were asked directly if owning slaves was ok. And you basically replied with, "well if the master treated slaves as Jesus did...". You didn't say that you would oppose people being owned as property, that then reads as you implicity condoning slavery.

It makes little difference what type of pretty bow you want to put on it, people are going to be shocked that someone would be okay with someone owning another person as property.

The thing is Jesus does make a difference. Refusing to acknowledge that is refusing to listen to what Paul says.

It makes a huge huge difference, a radical difference to the Roman society. Ephesians as a whole is radical to even today's age.

The problem is that you're adding things which Paul hasn't said in this passage to the text.

The thing is Jesus does make a difference. Refusing to acknowledge that is refusing to listen to what Paul says.

It makes a huge huge difference, a radical difference to the Roman society. Ephesians as a whole is radical to even today's age.

The problem is that you're adding things which Paul hasn't said in this passage to the text.
    I'm not looking to get into a discussion about the bible passages. I was just attempting to explain why folk were shocked with your answer regarding slavery.

You asked where you stood on slavery and you referred to the bible passages. That would imply you condone slavery as long as you treat the slaves in a certain way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm not saying anything remarkable other than if masters treated their slaves like Jesus treated us there would be no problem worth discussing.

I have no idea how to even try to respond to that, it's incomprehensible to me that any human being could think something like that... I am well and truly in awe of how detatched you really are and I'm taking screenshots of this in case you try and backpedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

J C wrote: »
    Its like saying that you have the freedom to accept God ...
    ... and you have the freedom to reject Him.

Love is not a thing that is imposed or forced on anyone. If I love someone, I love them. I can't help it. It is not a choice, it is a consequence of thier nature and mine in proximity.
    You can't force a private feeling on anyone and you can't switch off your love for somone just because they don't love you back.

You are directly suggesting that God's love and mercy come with a price tag.

If I love someone, I cannot torture them for a second, let alone a minute or an hour. Eternity? - This simply cannot be squared with love. It makes no sense at all.

It is impossible to be just and merciful. Mercy entails not giving someone their due punishment, a suspension of justice. (Christian theology concurs with this use of mercy. We all apparently deserve punishment. God will not inflict upon us that which we deserse if we meet certain criteria.) You are suggesting that God will sacrifice his vaunted justice if you love him, but will go right ahead and be super just if you don't. Sounds rather coercive to me and a perversion of the concept of justice.

Whether or not I love the judge has no bearing on my worthiness for forgiveness.

If you saw a judge in reality dismissing the cases of people who cared for him and punishing those who didn't to the fullest extent of the law, what would you call him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

Phil,

Answer this question honestly.

If I took you as a slave, took away your freedom, you would be fine with it as long as I treated you in the fashion Paul describes?

I suspect you would not be remotely fine with it. I suspect you would consider it a terrible crime. Am I wrong in there assumptions?

You seem to be wilfully ignoring the issue everyone has been pressing you on. It is not a matter of treatment. Most people today consider the idea of owning another person to be an entirely heineous concept. It doesn't matter if you treat them like a king or serve them every waking moment. Slavery as a concept, the very core of the idea is utterly immoral.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement