Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices from times gone by

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I remember when taytos were 12p. A packet of mentos was 25p and a fat frog was 15p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I remember when taytos were 7p back in 1978, and mars bars were 10p!

Fascinating to see Rubik's pic of the 3p Taytos, I remember the exact same packet design in 1978, only the price was different.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

I got a part-time job in a pub in Limerick when I was in 5th year in school (way back in 1978!!!). You could get a pint of guinness and a vodka and white for £1.....I remember all the old fellas claiming they'd give up the pint when it went over 50p!!!!

When I first came to Dublin in early 1981 the maximum fare on the bus (city centre to Deans Grange on the 46a) was 36p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I remember Chipsticks when they were 9p because I used to turn the bag around and it looked like it cost 6d. Kinda. We made our own fun in those days :P (early/mid 80s)

I also remember getting a pint of Guiness for £1.70 and glasses were 90p (very late 80s)

I too am shocked when I see the prices of chocolate and crisps in shops - over a euro for some things :eek:. Lucky I don't eat chocolate any more

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

John Player blue were sold for 20p each 1986-1988 and my first pint of Guinness was £1.59

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

Seems to be a general theme of snack prices here, but the one thing that sticks outfor me is ticket prices for concerts, my first one was Oasis in cork in 1996. Cost of the ticket was £22.50, that included the Prodigy as support aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

CountryJoe wrote: »
    Seems to be a general theme of snack prices here, but the one thing that sticks outfor me is ticket prices for concerts, my first one was Oasis in cork in 1996. Cost of the ticket was £22.50, that included the Prodigy as support aswell.

Ya I was at that, tickets were reasonable back then. I saw Blur in the point in 1995 for £15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Ah yes,gigs were much cheaper then. Metallica at the Point in '92 for £16.50 and GN'R at Slane for £22.75. Great(and cheaper) times.:)

Ya I was at that, tickets were reasonable back then. I saw Blur in the point in 1995 for £15.
    Ah yes,gigs were much cheaper then. Metallica at the Point in '92 for £16.50 and GN'R at Slane for £22.75. Great(and cheaper) times.smile.gif

Its crazy, im sure if somebody told me back then that with 10 years you would be paying upwards of 80e for a gig, I would have laughed it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

.I remember all the old fellas claiming they'd give up the pint when it went over 50p!!!!

Awwww, Bless :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

And i saw Riverdance for £20!

OMG, I had forgotten how cheap tickets once were!

Now I can't believe I paid €210 for 2 Take That tickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I can remember 20 Dunhill reaching £1 in the early 1980's

Around the time Carrolls were a little over 45p for ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cickybab

In our western society,
    At a large, the cost of things doubles every ten years!

This is a video that some of you may find very interesting, the guy explains how things we buy double in value roughly every tens year, population growth, overall consumption by humans. Its worth a watch!

Unleaded in Ireland right now (June 2011) is on average €1.53 a Litre. Expect it to be €3 a Litre in June 2021 :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

£10.50 to see U2 in Croke Park, 1985
    £5.00 The Wedding Present, McGonagles, 1988
    £15.50 The Cure, RDS, 1989
    £6 or was it £6.50 for the Pixies, National Stadium, 1990

8 and a half pence for a Twix in 1978.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

Cans of coke, fanta, 7UP etc. in 1998 -50p.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

cickybab wrote: »
    In our western society,
    At a large, the cost of things doubles every ten years!

This is a video that some of you may find very interesting, the guy explains how things we buy double in value roughly every tens year, population growth, overall consumption by humans. Its worth a watch!

Unleaded in Ireland right now (June 2011) is on average €1.53 a Litre. Expect it to be €3 a Litre in June 2021 :eek:

That reminds me, I got my first car in late 98. Petrol was 55p a litre. That is 70c in Euro. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

My first record - Rush Caress of Steel in Eason in 1985 for £3.99 (it wasn't a new release but I didn't care)

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    £6 or was it £6.50 for the Pixies, National Stadium, 1990

:eek:
    Thats the deal of the century right there, you would pay more than that to see a cover band nowadays ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

My parents purchasing a our new house for a whole thousand!!! Dad told Mam he would have to work 30 year to pay the mortgage!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Pixywish

Think I saw Therapy? in the Olympia for about £17/£18 at some stage which wasn't bad.

Snack-wise, I used to be addicted to Laser bars which were 10p(and took ages to finish cos they were rock hard which made me feel like I was getting more value for my money!) and I remember being infuriated when they raised the price of Sparkle ice-pops from 10p to 12p/13p too!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Orchard Choice 2 Litre cider only £3:00, 1997/98 Absolute rotten stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A marathon was 28p

Bus Éireann from Tipperary to Dublin was £3.50 in 1996
    It's about €16 today

My parents house cost £28,000 in 1978 and they assure me it was a huge sum of money at time. Times were hard, every parent says that :D

I don't know if this is true, anyone confirm?
    We still had supercans when bottled water was launched. And it was possible to buy a can of water.
    This was before supercans died a death.
    Is that true? Heard it a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mikemac wrote: »
    My parents house cost £28,000 in 1978 and they assure me it was a huge sum of money at time.

Either your house was massive or prices jumped hugely between 1974 and 1978 :)

My parents bought a 3-bed house in Dublin for £7,000 in 1974 :)
    (patiently awaits recession joke about getting 3-bed houses for that price today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Oh maybe I've given a bad example

It must have been for the house and farmland so as there was a farm attached

I didn't know if £28,000 was average or a lot in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seekers

kelle wrote: »
    I remember when taytos were 7p back in 1978, and mars bars were 10p!

Fascinating to see Rubik's pic of the 3p Taytos, I remember the exact same packet design in 1978, only the price was different.

Me too I remember them going up from 6p, tought them expensive at that. I used to search around the box to try to find a 6p one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

A gallon of petrol for 32.9p - but that was Esso Extra. You could have the 'Regular' for 29.9...!

I'm not saying when (obviously post 1971) - but I pumped enough of them.

I remember one of the locals in his Merc 250 came in on the fumes one day and it took all of 7 quid to fill it up... :eek:

Accepting that pay was a lot less, but so were the taxes - when I started driving not long after it, the price of petrol wasn't considered an issue - it was the insurance! I guess some things never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

b vitamins wrote: »
    What prices can you remember from when you were young?

I'm only early 20's so my memory only stretches back to the late 90's or so :)

- chomp/ taz bar ... 1998 ... 10p
    - can of fanta etc... 2002 .. 60c
    - tayto crisps .. 2002 .. 45c
    - mars bar .. 2004 .. 60c
    - bag of chips .. 2002... €1.65
    - sparkler ... 1999 ... 10p

anyone remember any suprising ones from years back? My dad said pints were 18p when he was young!

Just going through some of these posts, first time in "All Things Retro".

I remember buying a bag of chips for 6p - er, now, that's how many cents?

- regularly got them on my way home after fishing in Dun Laoire.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

mikemac wrote: »
    I don't know if this is true, anyone confirm?
    We still had supercans when bottled water was launched. And it was possible to buy a can of water.
    This was before supercans died a death.
    Is that true? Heard it a few times

I loved the supercans :D Club Shandy was my favourite in the brown can for 50p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

I remember going to the shops for my mam in the early 80's to get smokes.
    I had a £1 note and got 20p change which I promptly spent on sweets:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,592 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I saw Duran Duran in concert late'80s- ticket only £7 or £8.

My parents bought their house in 1970 for £800 a lot of money back then.They renovated in the mid 80s and bought a new Stanley cooker for £800- same cooker costs few thousand to buy now.

Bought my 1st house in D12 for £59k in '95-people thought I was cracked.
    Guess who's laughing now?:)

Advertisement